Open Phones: What Outdoor Activity Did You Discover This Past Weekend?

Monday, April 29, 2013

Spring in Central Park. Spring in Central Park. (Asterio Tecson/flickr)

It's cloudy and cool today, but this past weekend's weather was glorious. So, on this first Monday after the first great-weather weekend of 2013, we ask: What new outdoor activity did you discover that you'd recommend for other WNYC listeners? Call 212-433-9692, or post your recommendation here!

Jf from Reality

Pick up litter like,i did this weekend. It feels good. Be a utopian. If not just get exercise putting your own litter in a trash can instead of throwing it at your feet. It could help with the diabetes from the junk food.

Apr. 29 2013 12:01 PM
Leon from Brooklyn, NY

I took my girls to the New York Transit Museum and we had a great time. So much to learn and discover there.

Apr. 29 2013 11:59 AM
Abigail from Brooklyn

I rode the Harbor Ring http://harborring.org/index.php/about/, a proposed 50 mile bike ride around New York Harbor. We rode from Bay Ridge, across the Manhattan bridge then up the West Side path to the 39th St. Ferry, to Hoboken, NJ, then down to Bayonne, across the Bayonne Bridge to the Veranzano Bridge. This time we had to take the ferry back to Manhattan. But hopefully not for much longer, can't wait for the Varenzano bike lane!

The weather was PERFECT, and we had a great time.

Apr. 29 2013 11:58 AM
tim bridge from Storm King Art Center

Visited the Storm King Outdoor Sculpture Park in Mountainville NY

Apr. 29 2013 11:56 AM
anne bernard from Manhasset, NY

I've been reading Robert Caro's The Power Broker, this incredible book about Robert Moses and his building of all of LI highways and Parkways. I took a long detour on Northern State Parkway to see the highway the way Moses viewed it and it became the most gorgeous "new look" I've had scenically in Long Island in a long time.

Apr. 29 2013 11:54 AM
Margaret

Evil auto correct! Croton!

Apr. 29 2013 11:54 AM
Margaret from Brooklyn

We went too Dobbs Ferry, rented bikes, and rode the Friggin Aqueduct trail. So many lovely homes and gardens. And Lyndhurst!

Apr. 29 2013 11:52 AM
Meaghan from Bergen County, NJ

While it wasn't technically something I'd never done before, I went to Saturday's Mets game at CitiField with my husband and two sons (4 and 2) and my brother- and sister-in-law and their twins, who are almost 3. I had to comment to highlight what a great experience it was. Everyone working at Citi Field made it easy to enjoy a baseball game with so many young children in tow. All the security staff were friendly and helpful, especially when it came to navigating the park with several strollers. Even Mr. Met was accommodating, taking time for several pictures with our group! The kids had a wonderful time, even though the Mets lost.

Apr. 29 2013 11:51 AM
antonio from baySide

I went to a meditation session with my girlfriend! I am a runner and it felt like a nice long run!

Apr. 29 2013 11:49 AM
Aaron from Carroll Gardens / Wall Street

I played "dodge the tourists in the bike path" while biking over the Brooklyn Bridge to play soccer at Chelsea Piers. I knew what I was in for, but the weather was too nice to take the train.

Apr. 29 2013 11:48 AM