Open Phones: Did You Take Your Child To Work?

Friday, April 26, 2013

Yesterday was Take Your Daughters and Sons to Work Day. Did you participate? What do you think your child learned from the experience? If you remember participating as a child and visiting your mother or father's workplace, what did you take away from the day? Post a comment below, or call 212-433-WNYC.

caroilta from NYC

My dad took me to work at least once a year. I don't know if it was part of the "take your daughter to work day" or not. But I loved it. He'd do exactly everything he always did, like stop at the Chock Full of Nuts on the walk from Penn Station to East 52nd street, we'd get toast and coffee (I'd only have a sip), and then once at his job (he was a recording engineer), he'd show me the latest in his new technology, and then give me a chair and a book, and I'd settle in to read, looking up now and then to observe his discussions with colleagues. He'd take me to lunch at Black Rock, then to the Doubleday bookstore, for another book or two. I always looked forward to those days. I'd still pop into visit him when I was in college, and do exactly the same thing, just for fun.

I should ask him what the occasions were, if they were fun for him or what. I have nothing but great memories of it.

Apr. 26 2013 12:03 PM
Tony from Canarsie

Joey from NYC -- "This program led to a lot of young men feeling disenfranchised."

Do you have any empirical evidence for that claim, or is it just a gut feeling on your part?

Apr. 26 2013 11:59 AM
Joey from NYC

This program led to a lot of young men feeling disenfranchised.
and no wonder things have gone so awry in the last 2 decades since. Columbine, et.. you have to wonder.
it should never have be gender specific.

Apr. 26 2013 11:56 AM
kikakiki from harlem/wall street

I used to take my daughter to work, I worked at a law firm and they had a complete day programmed for both the kids and the employees. This year my granddaughter was having a state exam on take your daughter to work day

Apr. 26 2013 11:56 AM
tweb

My dad took me to work. He worked in a piano/organ department of a huge music store. I spent all day playing every piano and loved playing the huge organs. Even had audiences sometimes. "So easy a child can play" became the sales pitch for the day. Fun!

Apr. 26 2013 11:55 AM
Sarah from Hoboken

I don't remember going to work with my parents...but my daughter comes to work with me frequently. I am a dancer at the Metropolitan Opera Ballet, and I bring her sometimes out of necessity and sometimes for fun (costumes! makeup! dancing!). As a result, she thinks every adult goes to work at the stage door.
The most important thing I hope I am teaching her is that, considering the amount of time we spend working, it is of paramount importance to love your work.

Apr. 26 2013 11:54 AM
Christine from westchester

Our company does a "take your kids to work" in late June so they don't miss school. It's a nice gesture. I do wish they would stick to "Take your Daughters" day. We need young ladies to think about their careers and imagine themselves in roles. All the need to be politically correct so we can't omit anyone of course, makes that impossible.

Apr. 26 2013 11:51 AM
Katie from Huntington, NY

I went to work with my mother--in 1954! At the time, my Mom was a bookkeeper. Occasionally, she would have to work on a Saturday morning, so Mom would take me with her. Everyone took care of me. The company telephone operator would let me operate the switchboard (under her supervision); the switchboard was the old plug-in wire type. This actually helped me in my first job when the phone transitions were taking place and I already knew how to operate the thing! More than anything, I have great childhood memories of my Mom and her friends.

Apr. 26 2013 11:51 AM
Grace from Brooklyn

My mother took me to the University of Minnesota in the first years of the program and it was grand. They made a big deal out of the day: offering to make University IDs for us and so on, but it was a great insight into college and how expansive a university can be. More than offering me career path ideas it helped me think about my future education. Another year I went with my aunt, a lawyer, and saw the male dominated office, which made my 11-yr-old brain think that days like this would help my generation even out the numbers.

However, I was livid about boys being included and people changing the title to "children" day rather than "daughter." At one point I had a teacher take me out in the hall to calm me down, saying that while he agreed with me but that it was hopeless to change people's minds about including boys. My mother made it clear that if I was missing school but still expected to learn, but it seemed like the boys just wanted to be included so they could miss school. There weren't limitations on what their career dreams could be, at least not where I was, and the point of the day was to encourage girls about all the possibilities for them they may not have thought were open to them.

It's interesting to read what the Ms Foundation says about including boys now is really about the men who host them: that men who have hosted children have benefited from being seen as parental figures in addition to their roles as professionals.

Apr. 26 2013 11:48 AM
Alan from Brooklyn, NY

My mom took me to work on Take Your Son/Daughter to Work Day when I was a little boy, probably around 1994 or so. It was the first time I used the internet, as she worked at a technical college, and now I'm a software engineer at a web company.

Apr. 26 2013 11:48 AM

Hahaha Brian, I can just imagine what my son would say if he were home from school and responded to your question about what he would think about my taking him to work when I visit a postpartum mom!!

Apr. 26 2013 11:46 AM

Well,I don't think either my clients or my teenage son would appreciate it if I took him to work since I am a board certified lactation consultant. I did take him to support groups when he a toddler, but realized that was a huge mistake one day when he climbed on a rocking chair in the room and tried to wrap the telephone cord around his neck. I had to grit my teeth and smile sweetly to the mothers and tell them I was leaving the room for a minute so I could go into an empty waiting room in the hospital where the group was being held and engage in behavior that I wanted to model for the other mothers.

Apr. 26 2013 11:44 AM
Tony from Canarsie

If big business has its way, parents would be spending the day at their kids' jobs.

I'm pretty sure that's on ALEC's wish list.

Apr. 26 2013 11:41 AM
Rohana from Brooklyn resident, Manhattan worker

The state has among other things they do so well with the testing, scheduled a test day on "take your child to work" day for at least a couple years in a row, this year included. That prevents the majority of NY families from participating.

Apr. 26 2013 11:36 AM