Post-Election Coverage

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

WNYC’s political director Andrea Bernstein goes through the election returns with Jonathan Capehart, editorial writer for the Washington Post and then Mark Blumenthal, editor and publisher of Pollster.com.

Andrea Bernstein, Mark Blumenthal and Jonathan Capehart
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal from http://www.killboredom.com/animeInfo.php?aid=56

Thanks for your information, i have read it, very good!

Oct. 14 2009 04:34 AM
Joe the Actor from Manhattan

#18 Yakov
I like what you wrote. I agree so much. McCain has become a flawed Tragedian, almost like a complex villain from Shakespeare. His personal legacy to become president almost blinded him and he seemed to dispense with honor in favor of a 'whatever it takes to win' strategy. I was very touched by his speech. Even the buggars in the background booing when Obama was mentioned didn't bother me. He was very gracious and honorable. His greatest potential was denied him in 2000. I hope he'll be remembered for more than for these last few months.

Nov. 05 2008 05:08 PM
igon tichy from bronx

I agree with about Andrea Bernstein being ill suited for talk radio. Additionally, I did not appreciate her deprecating jewish grandmother accent. Would she do the same using a Jesse Jackson accent?
In poor taste.
Igon

Nov. 05 2008 02:54 PM
Yakov Epstein from Highland Park, NJ

Throughout this campaign I kept thinking "I used to like McCain (back in 2000) - how could I have liked him? He's so snarly and nasty." Then I heard his concession speech and remembered that he could be gracious and mature. I realized that an explanation for McCain's "lurching" throughout this campaign was the end result of when honor meets ambition. These two forces - honor and ambition drive McCain. His slogan "Country First" was an expression of his embrace of honor. It was a value honed by his years in the military, his family military tradition, and his years in captivity in Vietnam. It is a genuine and powerful force that drives McCain. But at the same time, he is also driven by ambition. Those same years of prisoner of war captivity and service to country led him to believe that justice demands that he be rewarded for his patriotism. He was denied the opportunity in 2000 by an underhanded Karl Rove campaign for Bush that knocked him out of the running. Now, in 2008 he was going to try again and he was not going to let anything stop him. Except he couldn't get himself to do that - because his sense of honor prevented him from doing so. So he put Rev. Wright smears off limits (the honorable course of action) but did not object when a 527 ran those ads (a tactic driven by ambition.)

Nov. 05 2008 12:49 PM
Richard from Texas

As I said in the first forum. We are now the Divided Socialist States of America.

We are divided very much so between Democrats and Republicans. And obama has nothing but socialist aspirations for the country.

Nov. 05 2008 11:53 AM
Joe the Actor from Manhattan

I agree with you Anne @ 14, however, I don't think we were talking about a card. Clearly a minority group cannot elect the next president, it takes ALL of the people. This is historic and if you and I were Black, we might truly start to have a new perspective on our race and what it means to be Black in America.

Nov. 05 2008 11:32 AM
Yakov Epstein from Highland Park, NJ

Bush had an approval rating in the mid 20's before the election results. Presumably, these people represent the "hard core base." Now that the Republicans have lost the presidency and have further eroded their percentages in the house and Senate, will some fraction of this hard core group of Bush approvers become angry with him for creating a Republican brant that Tom Davis said would be taken off the shelves if it were a dog food? Will Bush leave office with the lowest level of approval of any President in history?

Nov. 05 2008 11:28 AM
Anne in Westchester from Westchester

I am disappointed that, from the minute Obama was projected to win the presidency, media coverage started playing the race card, something Obama managed to rise above throughout his campaign. Of course black and minority people have every reason to celebrate the accomplishments of this remarkable man, but the victory belongs to all of us who support him. Obama's whole point is that we are not black, white, red, blue, etc., that we all must make a commitment to change, and that the future belongs to all citizens of the country. I am proud to be an American today and proud that I played my part in bringing us together as one people, one country.

Nov. 05 2008 11:25 AM
Charlie from Brooklyn, NY (but working in Midtown)

It was a great night for Obama and the Democrats and for the country in general. I'm extremely excited about the results of the presidential, and I don't mean to rain on the parade, but it was disappointing to watch the returns come in on the various state-ballot initiatives, especially the ones regarding same-sex marriage. Coming from San Francisco, it was rough to watch Arizona and Florida ban gay marriage, and for Arkansas to ban gay couples from adopting children, and for the California Prop 8 leaning towards passing. Make no mistake: last night was a good step in the right direction. But, for those of us who have just lost rights (or are about to) in four states, it still chafes a little.

Nov. 05 2008 11:08 AM
Owen from Rochester

I'm very disappointed in the Emmanuel pick. (I'm a big Obama fan.) Emmanuel has a reputation for being overbearing, jerky, partisan, and unprincipled. I hope that reputation is undeserved.

Nov. 05 2008 11:04 AM
James

Andrea Bernstein is not suited for talk radio. Again, another thousand "sort of" and "you know" phrases. She desperately needs speech therapy.

Nov. 05 2008 11:00 AM
Alex from brooklyn

Going from 11% to 13% is a HUGE jump. That's a 20% increase, Brian.

However, the total number of votes does not seem to be anything like what your guest is saying. So far, according to CNN, less than 120 million votes counted.

Nov. 05 2008 10:54 AM
zuwena from manhattan-Harlem

One more thing, what was that denigrating remark Guiliani said about community organizers, that was no so veiled that we didn't see it for what it was. To Guiliani and all those of his ilk--Eat your heart out!!!

Nov. 05 2008 10:51 AM
Alex from brooklyn

The FL exit polls do not have enough jewish respondents to give answers there. We don't know if the Great Schlep worked, or not.

Nov. 05 2008 10:50 AM
Joe the Actor from Manhattan

I was impressed with John McCain's WELL REHEARSED concession speech. I thought myself what has just been said: We finally saw the return of the man who was worthy to run for office of President.

I have been a dem all the way and a fervent Obama supporter, but have always maintained that McCain was not evil, or "bad" or terrible. It was Sarah Palin. I wonder if when John McCain took responsibility for the faliure of his campaign, if he was subtextually saying 'When I asked that idiot to run with me.'

Go Barak!

Nov. 05 2008 10:49 AM
zuwena from manhattan-Harlem

Hey, its time now to stop talking about the "fear" that McCain supports "must" be feeling about the election of Obama. I don't recall anytime with the election of any of his white predecessors or even with the thought of a McCain presidency where anyone considered that Blacks or democratic supporters, in general, would feel "fear." Blacks and others are simply expected to go with the program, even when it is clear that the program will not be in their best interest, just as we all had to go along with the Bush agenda.

Nov. 05 2008 10:48 AM
Priya from Brooklyn

I know that we have to bridge this political divide in this country. BUT I want people to acknowledge that this is an important moment for liberals in this country who have lived through the disappointment of the election of 2000 and 2004. And who have had to witness many actions by the current administration which were in complete opposition to our political beliefs.

Nov. 05 2008 10:47 AM
Kate from NYC

I am absolutely ecstatic!

OK, this may not be nice, but I am going to say it anyway:

I really enjoyed watching Sarah Palin trying so hard not to cry during McCain's concession speech. She just looked like such an amateur! It showed once again how unprepared she would have been to take on the position of vice president or, god forbid, president.

Cry, baby, cry! America was just kidding, Sarah! Better return the expensive clothes, because you won't be needing them back up in the tundra!

OK, sorry about that, that was really mean. Let the healing begin.

Nov. 05 2008 10:00 AM
Robert from NYC

So there and now I go visit mom in the Bx.

Nov. 05 2008 08:42 AM
Robert from NYC

Bear in mind now, smug little Sarah Palin and your like, as Manning Marable of Columbia University said this morning on Amy Goodman's DemocracyNow, it was precisely President Obama's experience as a community organizer that helped him organize and build from the grassroots up, a campaign strategy that united together different folks from different beliefs and cultural influences and won this election.

Nov. 05 2008 08:40 AM
seth from Long Island

Mark Blumenthal has done an amazing and phenomenal job with Pollster.com. He has consistently provided the most intelligent and insightful commentaries and analyses of polling data. He's also assembled a brilliant supporting cast of commentators. Every political junkie owes Mark Blumenthal a tremendous debt of gratitude for Pollster.com.
Thank you Mark!