Election Day 2008: Hour Two

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Daniel Moulthrop, from WCPN Cleveland Public Radio's "Sound of Ideas" public affairs show, talks about the swing state of Ohio,

Then
Eduardo de Oliveira, reporter for the New England Ethnic Newswire at the University of Massachusetts in Boston, and the Nashua Telegraph, as well as the Feet in 2 Worlds project, describes the scene in New Hampshire.

Then
Allison Fine, co-founder of Twitter Vote Report, senior editor at Personal Democracy Forum, and author of Momentum: Igniting Social Change in the Connected Age, will talk about Twitter Vote Report, and how it might be an antidote to a complicated Election Day.

Then
Dave Dewitt, reporter at WUNC, North Carolina Public Radio, joins us to break down what's happening in North Carolina.

Then
Douglas Kellner, co-chair of New York State's Board of Elections and partner in the law firm of Kellner Herlihy Getty & Friedman, and Penny Venetis, professor at Rutgers Law School and co-director of constitutional litigation clinic at Rutgers Law School, discuss voting in New York and New Jersey.

Then
Molly Ball, political reporter for the Las Vegas Review Journal, discusses voting in Nevada.

Then
Adaora Udoji, The Takeaway's co-host, is in Georgia for Election Day. She talks about the voting there. Throughout the show we'll be taking your voting stories from all over the New York Region. How did it feel to vote? Comment below with your experience!And: is watching the returns an event for you? Where do you watch?

Molly Ball, Dave Dewitt, Allison Fine, Douglas Kellner, Daniel Moulthrop, Eduardo de Oliveira, Adaora Udoji and Penny Venetis
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Jon

That's not MC Yogi at the start of the segment... it is Jay Smooth of the Illdoctrine!

Nov. 04 2008 06:33 PM
Zuzana Das from East Side Manhattan

Brian,
I am an older WHITE FEMALE and I proudly voted for the first time in my life! I voted for Obama.
In my old country / Czechoslovakia/, when I was young ,we didn't vote as a form of protest against the regime. We were punished by being thrown out of collage etc.
Here I decided to become a citizen after the 2004 election, it took 4 years even though I was a green card holder for 17 years, I got my citizenship 2 days
before the registration deadline!
Anyway ,it was the greatest feeling of pure joy to be a part of a democratic process. I CRIED all the way to the polling station, in there too and when I walked out I was the most jubilant person there, people were looking at me as if I were nuts. I am still teary eyed now, 8 hours later, hugging everybody, calling everybody and sending
e mails to my friends all over the world! I wish all people who don't vote would realize what a privilege it is to cast a free vote!

Nov. 04 2008 05:39 PM
Susan Wheeler from Somerset County, NJ

Update on provisional ballots in NJ: I returned to my polling place after hearing Professor Venetis's statement that I should have been given an emergency ballot and not a provisional one. I was told NJ has no such thing as an emergency ballot, and was shown their written instructions to provide provisional ballots to anyone whose name does not appear on the rolls. Reading NJ statutes and voter guides on-line seems to confirm this. The option allows the voter to call a number to determine whether his/her vote was counted, but NOT UNTIL AFTER NOV. 18. So, the question remains why registrants near the deadline are not able to cast a vote that will be counted. Thanks.

Nov. 04 2008 05:18 PM
Susan from Shrub Oaks, New York

There was a first time voter in front of me
and they were showing her how to use the machine! (She looked to be in her late thirties).

They told me that in my hamlet there are 700+
registered voters. In the past presidental races about 175 people came out to vote. Today, at 2pm I was number 344. They said there
were many first time voters.

I am ready to take all the energy sapped during the 2000 election year count-off
and party. It's been a long wait.

Nov. 04 2008 02:36 PM
Marye Elmlinger from Waterside Plaza, Manhattan

I voted this afternoon. Each of the two voters in line in front me -- not related, names far apart in the alphabet -- had been purged from the records. They were forced to fill out an Affidavit Ballot. Both have voted here for over twenty years -- as recently as in the primary.

Nov. 04 2008 02:20 PM
seth from Long Island

I can't wait to hear Sarah Palin deliver a concession speech!

Nov. 04 2008 12:34 PM
Leslie S. Evans from Staten Island, New York

I have lived on Staten Island since 1981. And I've never had to wait to vote before. I always breezed in and breezed out in 5 minutes or so. Today, at 7:30am, I waited for 30 minutes before I got in. And I was astounded by all the people waiting and ready for change!

When I got to the table, all of the poll workers, said--I remember you; you're late. In September, when I arrived at 6:05am, no one was ready. I was not pleased and said I was missing the express bus and was going to be late to work (to avoid that today I took the whole day off). They told me that in anticipation for me they made sure that the machine was ready to go. I'm glad.

Nov. 04 2008 12:04 PM
Mary Richman from Inwood

My polling place is on 218th Street near Park Terrace East. I got there around 6:20 and to my surprise, the line was already more than half a block long outside the building. Everyone seemed to be in a good mood, I heard no grumbling, and the poll workers were trying to be as helpful as possible but they were a bit overwhelmed. There didn't seem to be any problems with the machines -- just lots of people. It was about an hour before I voted but the line was noticeably shorter when I left.
The party around here is going to be at the Park Terrace Bistro starting around 8:30, sponsored by the local Democratic club. I'm confident this will be a victory bash!

Nov. 04 2008 12:04 PM
Matthew from Brooklyn

My vote is not going to count!
I waited for over 2 hours at the 97th district, only to be told that my name was not on the rolls, even though I confirmed yesterday on-line that I was registered in that district.
The woman in front of me experienced the same thing.
They gave us provisional ballets which are never counted.
My spirited is dampened.

Nov. 04 2008 12:01 PM
Rob from The Bronx

During this election season I have listened carefully to both campaigns and there are negative ads on both sides, but I have not heard a reason articulated to vote for McCain. Obama has run a hopeful campaign, McCain has told us why we should not vote for Obama, he has failed to tell us why we should vote for McCain. All that McCain has is fear, this is why he is losing. The voters on both sides of the aisle hinted that this year should be different, Democrats selected a candidate who spoke about there not being a blue or red America. The Republicans selected a candidate who was beloved by Independents, the press etc. and even had the courage to speak against the sitting presidents tax cuts and call the religious right agents of intolerance. Then somewhere along the line McCain forgot who he was, tossed his honor and went for the typical Republican playbook of fear and misinformation. He forgot his brand, missed the opportunity to be a statesman thereby moving the country forward. That is why McCain is losing.

Nov. 04 2008 12:01 PM
M from Brooklyn

Adora just said 538 was saying Obama could win GA - but in reality they have Obama with a 7% chance of winning GA. Silver DOES thing he could over-perform and effect down-ticket, thus making the Senate race an interesting race to watch. Though he thinks MN's Senate race is THE race to watch.

Anyway, GA is solidly red in 538's presidential map.

Nov. 04 2008 12:01 PM
Mary Ann Doyle from Manhattan

Does anyone know if there any street parties == public gatherings after the polls close -- dancing in the streets? Would love to know so I can participate in this historic day with my fellow New Yorkers.

Nov. 04 2008 12:01 PM
fouad hamami from ksa

Power to Obama and "All the President's Homies" very inspiring

Nov. 04 2008 11:59 AM
Nicole Minichiello from Brooklyn, NY

Just one more thing to add -
This is the first time I felt like a vote in NYC for president really counted.
Previously, it seemed that the only thing that counted was to help with campaigns in other states. Part of this year's great excitement is because it doesn't matter that NY is slated to go democratic - our votes in NYC (and everywhere) are so important this election because they are part of such an incredible movement of hope and change.

Nov. 04 2008 11:59 AM
Jay from Parsippany, NJ

I went to vote around 7AM. First time I saw the line. For some reason, the the polling place worker was asking people their year of birth. Somehow the lady in front of me, according to the polling place worker, was born in 1800!!!

She did get to vote but not sure why they were asking about the birth year, and why they had a wrong year like that.

Nov. 04 2008 11:56 AM
AWM from UWS

Thanks for all the great work, Brian & co!

Nov. 04 2008 11:56 AM
Kai from NJ-NYC

The peoples of Bloomfield, NJ are chipper and eager to vote today.

There is a seriousness and civic-mindedness that is palpable on the streets. With all the problems, there are many great things about this country.

Nov. 04 2008 11:56 AM
Paulson from Wall Street

Conservative and liberal friends will gather together for spirited debate and exchange. McCain and Palin may pull off a stunning upset by taking FL, OH, WI and CO.

Nov. 04 2008 11:55 AM
Mario Santivanez from Hackensack, NJ

I am an immigrant from Bolivia and unfortunately I will not be a Citizen until next year. I coach in one of the state universities in NJ. About half of my student-athletes will not be in practice because they eagerly said "Coach, I will be going to my hometown to vote!"

Nov. 04 2008 11:55 AM
Yasmine from Upper East Side, Manhattan

I just voted and it felt like a rush of emotional adrenaline! I am in district 66 and we had no line, though my entire pollsite was crowded. Just seeing Obama's name up there was incredible, and voting for him felt like my opportunity to amend the last eight years and help steer my wonderful country in the direction for hope, change, progress, and peace. It is so exciting to be a part of this change, and it definitely feels historic as we vote in our first African-American president! I'll be watching with my boyfriend in Brooklyn tonight; we've got popcorn and we're ready to wait up until there's we've got a winner!

Nov. 04 2008 11:54 AM
mark Brown from sos-newdeal.blogspot.com AND markbnj.blogspot.com

FANWOOD NJ: 7 CD. Voter in front of me had someone whose name was not on the voter rolls, but had copy of his registration there.

He was given a PROVISIONAL ballot, not an emergency ballot

Nov. 04 2008 11:53 AM
Michael West from Brooklyn, NY

After voting in every election for the last 8 years at the same polling place, the poll workers tried to tell me that my address was not on the book. I had to show them how to use the book correctly! Imagine my surprise!

Nov. 04 2008 11:52 AM
Leo Queens from Queens

HI Brian,

I was told by my sister that the polling place at PS19 in Corona Queens that poll workers were asking everyone for ID. Also, that poll workers were directing people to the wrong precint table to vote based on the address they showed. People then made the line to vote and show ID again only to be told that they were sent to the wrong precint table and had to go and get online on the right precint table. In each case they were asked for ID even though in the case of my sister she had voted in the prior presidential election and the primaries this past winter. Seems poll workers are not qualified

Nov. 04 2008 11:52 AM
Jenn from Setauket, NY

I have been anxiously awaiting this day, so thrilled to be able to vote for Obama. I brought 3 of my kids with me to the polls. Each of them had a turn to pull a lever and we took a close-up photo of the toggle with Barack Obama's name. Tonight we are having Baked Alaska and McCain brand french fries to commemorate this historic day! :o)

Nov. 04 2008 11:49 AM
Hannah Selinger from Astoria, NY

I voted for Barack Obama about an hour ago. This is my third presidential election and I have never seen lines like this in New York before. During this whole election, I have been overwhelmed by the emotion inherent in this particular election. How extraordinary, I keep thinking, that I can be part of the historic moment in American democracy that finally sees an African-American candidate make a serious bid for the presidency. How extraordinary to see how many people have been galvanized, who have overcome political apathy. I see Obama buttons everywhere. This is like no other election I have ever experienced and it makes me extremely proud to be an American.

Nov. 04 2008 11:48 AM
Lizzie from New London, CT

I voted in my first presidential election today and left the booth with a feeling of accomplishment... one matched a few minutes later by a bake sale donation to a local high school music program. It feels good to know that I can make a difference for my country and my community, all in one day.

Nov. 04 2008 11:48 AM
Teal Postula from Pomona, NY

Voting this morning was busy for our small village but not mobbed... Mobbed was the NE Philly field office for Obama that I worked from this weekend.It filled my heart with joy to be surrounded by the enthusiastic polyglot of canvasers from all over the mid-atlantic area.It was a direct tangible experience of the HOPE that we all hold to wrest control of our future back from the ruinous hands of the Neocons.

Nov. 04 2008 11:48 AM
ISAAC from Jersey City

I am a former New Orleans resident who was relocated to Jersey City after the destruction of Hurricane Katrina and the tragic negligence of the Bush Administration. Although my voting experience was short and easy this morning, it felt amazing to finally be feeling the winds of change rather than the winds of woe.

That being said, if I can take anything away from my Katrina experience, it’s that change really comes from the people of this country, not the government. No one man is going to rectify this nation’s path—we all must be active participants, and we all must be willing to get our hands dirty and make our voices heard.

Partying tonight in Bed Stuy--Obama Burgers!!

Nov. 04 2008 11:47 AM
Alice from Astoria, NY

I have always had to vote by absentee before. Going to the polling place, waiting in line and casting my vote was an incredible experience. I was overwhelmed and inspired by all of the people voting both at my polling place and one I walked by on my way to work.

Thank you, everyone, for voting.

As for my post-poll plans, I'm looking forward to going to the Bohemian Beer Gardens, the oldest beer hall in the USA, to watch comics do stand-up and improve based upon the coverage. It's free and everyone, regardless of your politics, is welcome.

Also, I want to send a shout-out to the dozens of people working at the Election Protection Program.

Nov. 04 2008 11:46 AM
Vanessa Alward from Redding, CT

Please discuss the Connecticut ballot- Question #1 for the Consitutional Convention. The initative was brought up by ultra conservative groups like anti-choice groups and those against same-sex marriage.
Vote No on Question #1!

Nov. 04 2008 11:46 AM
Amy from DUMBO, Brooklyn

We're throwing an "Obamarama" election night party in our apartment. Making an all-American meal of hot dogs and American Chop Suey (macaroni, ground beef, tomatoes -- it's a New England thing).

We'll drink beer, but things start to go badly for Obama, we'll switch to bourbon....

Nov. 04 2008 11:43 AM
anna from bayside, ny

I still haven't voted yet because I'm waiting for my 85 yr old permanent resident grandma to wake up from her nap and will take her alone with me to the poll site. She's a little upset that she couldn't vote but that doesn't make her any less enthusiastic about this election! I can't wait!

Nov. 04 2008 11:43 AM
Jesse

Most of my friends seem afraid to make any plans tonight. Four years ago, a bunch of us came home from volunteering in Ohio the weekend leading up to the election confident that Bush would lose the election. Watching the results come in that night at big parties still stings.

Nov. 04 2008 11:43 AM
Stephen from Brooklyn

I waited on line for 2 hours in Prospect Heights and was inspired by the classic way New Yorkers made a micro-culture of the wait. People were tolerant of each other and exchanged dialog. Similar to jury duty, this is a real opportunity to transcend the spectacle and feel engaged in democracy.

Nov. 04 2008 11:41 AM
Peterson from Westchester

Mr. Lehrer:
We McCain/Palin do not "expect to lose" the national election. Even in NY state it's important to send the message of lower taxes, strong national defense and individual freedom.

Nov. 04 2008 11:40 AM
Henry from Katonah

I like McCain - - in the US Senate, where mavericks are welcome. I look forward to seeing the return of the OLD McCain next year. Maybe his will be the vote that decides whether to cut off filibusters.

Nov. 04 2008 11:40 AM
Dan from new york

What a beautiful day to be alive! I have never been prouder to be an American. Today we fulfill the promise and honor the sacrifices of those who came before us. Whoever wins we have done ourselves proud. The world is watching and is happy and amazed with what it sees.

Nov. 04 2008 11:40 AM
Shoshana from Brooklyn, NY

After getting e-mail after e-mail about Obama the Muslim terrorist, Marxist, etc. I wondered if I'd feel any last minute doubts or fears in the voting booth. Basically I wondered if the Bradley factor would play into my voting or conversely feel a part of history pulling the lever for the first black president.
I'm relieved to say that I went in with my four year old son, we pulled the lever together and confidently and left with my son singing "we voted for Obama Obama Obama."
Just another election day for me.

Nov. 04 2008 11:40 AM
Eve Sheridan from Rockland Co, New City

My husband and I went to the polls in high spirits, happy to be voting for Obama, hopeful for a happy ending today.
The lines were short, the feeling at the polls was restrained but upbeat, mostly older voters, but a few arriving by bike (even here in the burbs)
The whole think only took 20-30 minutes. (I almost hoped for more!)
We are planning a party tonight to celebrate the returns.

Nov. 04 2008 11:34 AM
Andy from Westerchester Square, Bronx

went out early this morning, the chu-chunk made my vote seem liked it counted more then the connect the arrow paper ballot that I always used in Maine!

Nov. 04 2008 11:34 AM
STEVE SAMUELS from HUNTINGTON LONG ISLAND NY

Just came back from voting at my local polling place in the woods of west hills park. I have never seen it so full. I had to walk about 1/4 mile to get to the building. Once inside it went pretty fast.
As I cast my vote for Barach Obama i started to cry with joy.
I am 57 y/o/w/m and remember traveling thru parts of this country and seeing signs on restuarants and public bathrooms that said "WHITES ONLY" and as a child not understanding what that meant. Of course blacks could not even vote in those places at that time. But in my lifetime we have gone from that despicable time to having a black (well qulified) person become President is unbelevable. History usully dosen't change that quickly.
The other thing i noticed was the smiles of pride on every single black person i meet and being able to return that smile back to them.

Nov. 04 2008 11:33 AM
Lisa from CT

Some real data from today's voting, as shown on TV:

Obama: 11 seconds to record his votes

Biden: 3 seconds to record his votes (probably picked full D. ticket)

Palin: 93 seconds to record her votes (did she have trouble reading, or trouble deciding? Didn't pay any attention to the down-ticket ballot?)

McCain: reporters not let into the building (hmmm, sounds like Bush again).

Nov. 04 2008 11:32 AM
Andy from Westerchester Square, Bronx

Voted for the first time with a lever machine, very interesting, the chu-chunk made it seem like my ballot was actually there, I am use to the Maine "connect the arrow" paper ballot, registered Rep, wanted Ron Paul, went for Obama.

Nov. 04 2008 11:32 AM
Laura from Manhattan

Concerning election night parties, I wrote a story for Huffington Post on what people of all political stripes are serving--What to Eat and When to Eat it On Election Night http://www.huffingtonpost.com/laura-weiss/what-to-eat-and-when-to-e_b_139291.html

Nov. 04 2008 11:29 AM
sheila maloy from sleepy hollow,ny

my husband and i were going to go to our friends house to watch the returns tonight when my youngest child,11 years old, caught wind of this and was APPAULED that we would leave our kids on this historic night...great to see they care. I brought her to vote with me this morning and she was so thrilled, she proudly brought the sample ballot into school, go kids!!

Nov. 04 2008 11:28 AM
Jason Jaksetic from Morristown

I took an extra moment to look at my vote before I finalized. I realized that for the first time I was finally represented and proud of that. Maybe, just maybe, my generation and I (I'm 26) are finally making a dent into the consciousness of this nation. Maybe my country is no longer a victim of baseless fears. I'm hoping.

Nov. 04 2008 11:28 AM
Laura from Manhattan

Hi,
In terms of election night parties, I wrote a story for Huffington Post on what voters of all political strips are serving tonight. What to Eat and When to Eat It on Election Night http://www.huffingtonpost.com/laura-weiss/what-to-eat-and-when-to-e_b_139291.html

Nov. 04 2008 11:28 AM
Olivia Newman from New York, NY

I had to wait in a long line to vote this morning on 147th Street and Amsterdam and I couldn't have been happier. I've never had to wait in a long line to vote in NYC which I could only hope is a good sign! It was hard not to cry thinking about how historic this election may be. When I got home I was having such a hard time concentrating on work that I decided to make phone calls for Barack Obama and help get out the vote. It was a good way to quell some anxiety and excitement.

Nov. 04 2008 11:26 AM
Joan from Williamsburg, Brooklyn

This was the third presidential election in which I’ve voted (I’m only 28), but this was the first year I’ve gotten into an actual booth. My last two polling places only used paper ballads, just filling in the bubble… I have to say, it’s MUCH more satisfying to pull that big, clanking lever. I was wearing the biggest grin when I walked out of there. I’m so excited!

Nov. 04 2008 11:25 AM
patrick who has pledged from Queens

Brian,

You might want to note that there is at least one ballot measure on the NYC ballot. It is (typically) all the way over on the right of the ballot.

Given that the ballot otherwise is pretty short a lot of folks may overlook this measure

Patrick

Nov. 04 2008 11:24 AM
Tom Adams from Upper West Side

My wife of 27 years is a staunch Republican, I'm an independent with different ideas from hers.

After voting this afternoon, we are going to the movies: Beverly Hills Chihuahua.

Nov. 04 2008 11:20 AM
Melissa from Harlem

I vote in the basement of an enormous housing project in Harlem. Normally, there are no lines at all, but today the room was full and the line was into the hallway. About 98% of those in line were African American. The atmosphere was humming with an excited, but also solemn kind of energy. It was clear that this is an unprecedented, historic day.

Tonight I'm going to a house party here in Harlem.

Nov. 04 2008 11:19 AM
Fran M from Upper East Side

VOTING PROBLEM!! I tried to vote for Obama on the Working Families line, but the machine had no knob to turn down--where the knob should have been there was nothing. This is at the Robert F. Kennedy School in the 100th voting district. I reported it to people there and they said they'd fix it.

Nov. 04 2008 11:19 AM
alan from brooklyn

I rememeber in grade school learning how to vote on election day by having an actual voting booth in our classrooms and casting our vote for the nominees.

At the end of the school day they would announce the winner over the intercom.

Does that still occur these day?

Now that I can vote, it was great to learn about the process at that young age.

Nov. 04 2008 11:19 AM
Vanessa Alward from Redding, CT

I am waiting for my 6 year old to get home from school at 3pm so I can go vote with him. He is so excited, he chose a shirt with an American flag on it and sang, "yea obama! Go Obama! John McCain blah, Barack Obama yeah!" I have to let him see this historic vote.

We are so excited & also nervous. We're white anglo-saxon unitarians and chose Obama for his policies, and with the hope that he will restore this country to greatness. Heading to a party tonight where we intend to celebrate!

Nov. 04 2008 11:17 AM
Ian L. from Brooklyn

Brian, are you doing a flickr contribution page today? I am taking pictures I would like to share once I get home this evening.

Nov. 04 2008 11:16 AM
David from New York

I am originally from Ohio and know that my family voted for the Democratic ticket (early voting). I voted at my polling station in Tudor City in Manhattan and at 8:30 this morning there was a line but it was not out the door. It was great to cast my vote this time. For the first time I can remember, I have felt so very energized by the American political process.

Nov. 04 2008 11:13 AM
Aaron and naomi from Driving down 95south

we voted in Carroll gardens and the line was 2 hours long for district 84 but finally voted and jumped into the car to get out the vote in north east Philly. We'll then jump back in the car and head back to a friends house for a party. Thanks for the great show. We'd love to hear clips from past years about how people felt about voting in comparison.

Nov. 04 2008 11:12 AM
Melissa from Harlem

Tonight I'm going to a house party here in Harlem.

Nov. 04 2008 11:12 AM
alex

I VOTED!!!! Extremely excited! I'm going to a Birthday/Obama Party tonight (unless he loses then a Birthday/Angry Mob!!!!)

Nov. 04 2008 11:11 AM
Tom Adams from Upper West Side

Nov. 04 2008 11:10 AM
Rebecca Stich from Manhattan

This election feels like an exorcism of electoral ghosts for me: in 2000, I was working in Uzbekistan. After the embassy's vote-watching breakfast faded towards a lunch and finally to an inconclusive finish, for what seemed like months every cab driver and shop owner to notice my accent would ask, "do you have a president yet?" What followed was eight years of embarrassed explanations to my foreign friends of the political situation in my country. As I waited in line at 7am this morning to cast a ballot, someone was on an overlooking rooftop calling out to the city, "Get out and vote, New York! Happy voting day! Go vote!" As I watched my neighbors wait to vote with no grumbles and nothing but smiles, I could feel things changing. We are back to being the country I want to defend and will feel proud of explaining to my friends.

Nov. 04 2008 11:08 AM
Bevin from Brooklyn

I voted this morning in Bushwick Council Dist. 46 and the machine was broken. I cast a write in ballot and put it in an official cardboard box. I really really hope they count the votes in all the cardboard boxes over the city.

Nov. 04 2008 11:08 AM
susan slome from Brooklyn, N.Y.

Brooklyn. N.Y. Democracy in action. I was surprised to see the usual poll workers have been replaced by recent citizens formally immigrants. A Russian woman I know was wearing a badge stating REPUBLICAN Committee POLL Worker. I asked her how she got to be a Republican Committee woman and she said that she switched from a Democratic Committee worker to Republican several years ago and now she has the poll worker job. It was fun to see that the coveted job of Poll worker usually given to active committee workers is now being given to a recent citizen. I noticed other immigrant groups represented as poll workers at my voting location. By the way at 8:30 AM just a 20 minute wait.

Nov. 04 2008 11:07 AM
Charlie from Brooklyn, NY (but working in Midtown)

I got to the polls at 9, and there was a cafeteria-full of people waiting to vote! Voted at PS 261 in Boerum Hill, and had to wait for about 45 minutes to cast my ballot. It's not necessarily copacetic with my belief in needing a national, simple ballot, but I really like voting on New York's voting machines... pulling that crank makes you feel like you're actually making a physical indentation on the face of democracy.

Tonight: going to see the Blue Album Group--a band which covers Weezer's blue album from beginning to end--perform at the Bell House (Blue Album for the blue states!) in Gowanus.

Nov. 04 2008 11:06 AM
Nadya from DC

I actually used to live in NYC so i always listen to brian on my computer at work. I had to absentee vote in the last election of 2004 since i was living in cairo,egypt at the time So this time it was really memorable! I have to say though I was surprised that we had paper ballots in the DC voting station that i was in. I live in Capitol Hill of all places, and you would think we would have more electronic machines. In the primaries, the polling station had 5 electronic machines, but for today, they only had one. So I decided to use the paper ballot since I had to rush to work. Otherwise, I feel really inspired and happy to see so many people were voting!

Nov. 04 2008 11:03 AM
Christopher Deignan from Middle Village, Queens

I practically ran to the polls, I've never been so psyched. Volunteered for the Obama campaign to GOTV in South Philly last Saturday and it was a wonderful experience.

The process and the turnout has renewed my faith in America and I'm falling back on my Irish catholic roots with a swift Novena and several rosaries that there are no hiccups, no Supreme Court decisions and a clear resounding kick out the bums call for change. Goodbye W, go find God again, Cheney, spend time incarcerated in Guantanamo :)

Nov. 04 2008 11:02 AM
Carol Allen from Manhattan

Voter problem this morning. My name was not in the signature book (which looked awfully small to me). I have lived and voted at my current location for over 30 years. I have the card that the board of elections sent me, so I know my registration is current. So I filled out an avadavit. Then someone came over and said that they would not be counting these and that we would have to go downtown. I told them that was ridiculous. Why would we want to go downtown and wait on a line with 1000s of people who are unable to vote. I have a fractured ankle so this was not an option.
Just wondering what gives with the missing names?

Nov. 04 2008 11:01 AM
Karen from Manhattan

I'll be watching the returns with my elderly parents, at their apartment. My father is 88, my mother 76. They're life-long Democrats and are more excited than ever about voting.

Nov. 04 2008 10:58 AM
christen schaffer from brooklyn

i voted absentee. Im disappointed to be left out of the energy felt at voting locations.

Nov. 04 2008 10:58 AM
Kevin from Greenpoint

Voted at P.S. 110 in District 94. I was number 197. The poll workers at the table said that in '04 the total number of voters in the district was 200. That number was reached by 10:30am today.

Nov. 04 2008 10:56 AM
Laura Rime from New City, NY

I voted here in heavily republican Rockland County this morning, and there was no waiting. I was glad of that and excited to vote in this historic election, however, I think I will be nervous all day waiting for the results. As an Obama supporter, I am afraid to get my hopes up too high.

On another note, I continue to be amazed at the lack of official voter information in NY and NJ. In CA where I came from, every election every voter got a booklet about the upcoming election which included information on all the candidates, any propositions being decided and polling place, etc. Here I often go to the polls and don't even know who half the candidates are. This kind of standard voter information is really needed here, and it can be paid for by endorsements for the candidates, which are included (clearly marked as such) in the booklet of information.

Nov. 04 2008 10:52 AM
Demetri from brooklyn

I voted in Prospect Heights Brooklyn and ended up waiting 2 hours but the experience was great! People brought their children; many first time voters; I even got to get to know 3 neighbors who I had never been introduced to after eight years in the neighborhood. I think this experience has engaged many people and brought them into the citizen-fold. A great experience!

Nov. 04 2008 10:50 AM
Meredith M.

I am a native New Yorker living in Indiana. Although I miss New York, it is so exciting to vote in a swing state. I am attending a party tonight with my fellow graduate students from the University of Notre Dame. It is awesome to see so many young people getting out on Election Day.

Nov. 04 2008 10:48 AM
Jarnel from Bloomfield, NJ

I went to vote around 7:45 this morning. It turns out that my name was spelled wrong on the voter roll. Despite that, everything went very well, I was not purged or anything and did not have to cast a provisional ballot.

I was a little disappointed though to find out that my district is now using electronic voting machines. I don't really trust those machines after watching "Hacking Democracy" on HBO. Also, I really used to enjoy the feeling of the old mechanical voting machines.

Nov. 04 2008 10:47 AM
Sangu from Brooklyn

Tonight we're having a vegan pizza party (with at least one Hawaiian Pizza) at our friends' place in Brooklyn. Might also stop by the SuperVegan Election Night party at Red Bamboo Brooklyn in Forte Greene where they'll be keeping track of the presidential campaign as well as some big propositions impacting animals like California's Prop 2. Red Bamboo Brooklyn will be serving election themed cocktails: Vegan White Russians, Chocolate Hawaiians, and Joe The Plumber Cocktails.
Happy Election Day Everybody. Go Vote.

Nov. 04 2008 10:47 AM
anthony clune from brooklyn

Brian,

Party at my house to (hopefully) celebrate an Obama landslide and a 60 seat majority

Two words:
Moose Stew

Truthfully, my butcher searched for genuine moose meat to no avail, so instead I'm going to use beef and just lie to my friend. The ends justify the means.

Nov. 04 2008 10:47 AM
Sarah Feeley from Brooklyn

Booths and Ballots

I am the city forward leaning
waiting in lines
civilized and sight-seeing
who are these my neighbors?
we are held here in this inbreath
hours upon buzz hours
like bumper stickers we
be the change
long year took words from us,
gave new ones
will we look back? and how?
now that presidents are people we lust for
lust for the big change to take us
and make us the people we are

Nov. 04 2008 10:44 AM
Michael from NYC, Inwood

I'm 54 and a regular voter. While walking to the polls this morning I was choked with tears at the thought that today we may finally bring the Regan Era to a close. At 7:00 am there were 20 people lined up ahead of me. A first.

Nov. 04 2008 10:43 AM
Alyson from Tribeca

I was the 59th person at my voting booth (this was around 6:20 or so this morning). I had the complete NYC experience, the little old lady poll workers, the loud obnoxious voter who wanted to know where the coffee was, the funny voter who asked if they bothered to put the Republicans on the ballot, the policeman/school security officer helping the lady with the stroller down the stairs into the non-accessible school gym, the kids asking where daddy was (he's behind the curtain, voting, he will be right out) and the poll worker who didn't know how to read my VOTING CARD - which name was my last name and then most importantly the feeling of SATISFACTION when I pulled the lever to the right and set in my official vote. I hope we never change to electronic voting, I love pulling the lever and hearing the settled thump when the vote gets recorded.

Nov. 04 2008 10:41 AM
Nicole Minichiello from Brooklyn, NY

It was such a thrill to vote this morning! What an amazing moment for our country!

My polling station in Greenpoint was quite crowded at 7:45 this morning and somewhat chaotic because there were so many different election districts voting in one space (lines were getting comfused). It was going smoothly though.

We are planning to have an election night party--there are so many exciting events going on, but we want to watch until the very end!

Nov. 04 2008 10:30 AM
mlj from Brooklyn

Getting ready to go to my poll site now! Attending a party tonight, as I must be with friends to prepare for whatever comes tonight. Brian & your crew, thank you so much for the excellent coverage, it has been a relief to have the show as an articulate, thoughtful way to view the issues through all of the media madness.

Nov. 04 2008 10:27 AM
Miriam Berkley from Hell's Kitchen (Clinton), NY

I went this morning to my local polling place at about 6:30 and had a wait of about an hour.
There was such a large turnout that each district line was split alphabetically into two parts, one for each of two voting machines. The woman in front of me line said that the superintendent of her apartment building had gone around knocking on everyone's door at 5 AM, telling them to get up and vote!

Although some people were impatient at the unprecedented wait, generally there was, I think, a rather festive atmosphere. I was certainly determined to stay on the line for however long it took. And I have never before seen so many of my Hell's Kitchen neighbors in one place.

Photos, incidentally, were not permitted, according to the policemen on hand; they said that was by order of the Board of Elections. Nonetheless, my voting experience was a fine beginning to this exciting day!

Nov. 04 2008 10:21 AM
Joe Elwin from Manhattan - Little Italy

It felt great to vote this morning, especially on the old and clunky lever machine. It is such a tangible feeling to use the old machines. One can really feel the vote be processed - "chu-chunk!" There was a small line, (15 mins.) and everyone seemed to be in a pleasant mood. Kudos to the poll stations workers for the excellent service they are providing for the larger public.

Nov. 04 2008 10:19 AM
Susan Wheeler from Somerset County, NJ

I recently moved here from out of state, and registered on NJ's last-possible date to register in time for the election. At my polling place, it seemed a matter of course that anyone who registered toward the end wouldn't show up on the rolls (as I didn't), and I was given a provisional ballot. At 8 a.m., the poll workers were asking each other if they had enough provisional ballots (a supply of 90 of them in a small district) on hand. Yet I hear that provisional ballots are counted only as a last resort -- so is "last date to register in time for the election" in fact false? Susan

Nov. 04 2008 10:17 AM
Nina Essman from Cobble Hill, Brooklyn

We always vote, even for the smallest thing. But this was the most exciting vote of my lifetime. I am 44 years old, and voted for Barack Obama, with my baby on my chest and my 7 year old at my side. She was so excited and understood what a big deal this might be. She has been following along with me on the news.

The polling place was VERY disorganized, and could have easily been more organized and less hectic. We waited about an hour at 7am. I hope everyone waited - it was frustrating because it was so messy.

Know your district before you go!!!!

Nov. 04 2008 10:14 AM
no atlantic yards from brooklyn

1. PS9 in Prospect Heights, the line was around the corner and down St. Marks...unheard of. Staff competant and friendly, although they could open a window.

2. Will not host a party...don't want to jinx anything as can't contemplate a repeat of the despair that I felt 4 years ago. And as I don't watch my favorite teams with opposing fans in the room, I prefer to keep the enemy at arm's length.

Nice work over the last 2 years - I have been a religious listener

Nov. 04 2008 10:12 AM
Michelle Epstein from West Orange, NJ

I voted this morning at 6:50, it was my first vote in our new neighborhood, West Orange, NJ. I"m 57 years old and have voted in every presidential election but I have never felt this excited and proud to cast my vote for Obama. The line was already out the door when I arrived. The most moving thing for me was how many parents were there with their children, toddlers to teenagers, knowing that they want their children to witness this historic event, this very special day in America's history

Nov. 04 2008 10:06 AM