Please Explain: Mushrooms and Fungi

Friday, April 26, 2013

Eugenia Bone, author of Mycophilia: Revelations of the Weird World of Mushrooms, talks about the world of mushrooms and other fungi. She’ll cover how to forage for mushrooms, how to identify the good and the poisonous, how fungi grow, and how to eat them.

Eugenia Bone
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

thatgirl from manhattan

April - Seriously off-topic.
Moderation desperately needed to curb nuttiness here!

Apr. 26 2013 02:00 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Mushrooms have to be irradiated to produce Vitamin D? Is there a way to get the vitamin without irradiation?

Apr. 26 2013 01:56 PM
David from Manhattan

Photo gallery: truffle hunting with dogs in Southern France.

Apr. 26 2013 01:52 PM
APRIL from MANHATTAN

CAPS FOR BAD EYES. SORRY. THERE ARE MANY WAYS IN WHICH NYC ISN'T GREEN. NO GREEN ROOFS. NO GREEN CONCRETE. NO LIGHTS OFF IN STORES AFTER A CERTAIN TIME OF NIGHT. SCREENS IN THE BACK OF CABS AND LIGHTED ADS ON TOP. MOVING SCREENS AS ADS, INSTEAD OF NON MOVING. ONE THING WNYC CAN DO RIGHT NOW IS RID ITSELF OF THE AD, "WNYC: NEVER TURN IT OFF". DO YOU, LEONARD, LEAVE YOUR RADIO, TV, COMPUTER, LIGHTS ON WHEN YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT OR LEAVE THE HOUSE TO GO DO BRILLIANT WORK? THAT AD IS AWFUL IN TERMS OF THE ENVIRONMENT. IT'S STUPID. AND THAT'S THE LAST WORD I USED TO THINK OF IN RELATION TO WNYC. IF YOU AGREE, CALL 1 626 829.4000, PRESS TWO TO COMMENT, OR COMMENT ONLINE. WNYC SHOULD ALSO COVER EXCELLENT NYTIMES ARTICLES ON HOW MUCH ENERGY OUR COMPUTERS, CELL PHONES, IPADS, ETC USE. AN ENORMOUS AMOUNT. WE DON'T WANT TO WAIT ONE SECOND FOR IT TO TURN ON OR COME UP. SO THE ENERGY'S ALWAYS THERE. MOST ELECTRONICS, (AND EVERYTHING IS ELECTRONIC - CARS, FOR INSTANCE), BUT I'M TALKING ABOUT SMALLER ONES HERE, ARE HIGHLY TOXIC IN LANDFILLS. I SEARCHED RECYCLING PLASTIC BAGS. YOU ALL KNOW ABOUT THAT SNARL OF PLASTIC BAGS ABOUT THE SIZE OF AMERICA, IN THE PACIFIC OCEAN. WHICH WON'T DEGRADE FOR A THOUSAND YEARS. ONE IN FIVE GRAINS OF SEA SAND IS PLASTIC. NOT GOOD FOR SEA LIFE. A, IF NOT THE, MAIN CAUSE OF CLIMATE CHANGE, SPECIES EXTERMINATION AND ENVIRONMENTAL DEGRADATION IS OVERPOPULATION. A SUBJECT DESERVES MUCH MORE COVERAGE BY MEDIA, INCLUDING WNYC. SOME SAY WE CAN FEED EVERYONE. WE CAN'T WITH DESERTIFICATION. AND SHOULD LEAVE A LITTLE ROOM FOR OTHER SPECIES. I HAVEN'T HEARD A WOOD THRUSH IN YEARS...

Apr. 26 2013 01:50 PM
MG from Manhattan

I have noticed that bread molds up faster in NYC than when I was in Vancouver BC.

I believe that the density of mold must be greater in NYC than in other places . I believe this also affects things like body oder as well

Apr. 26 2013 01:49 PM
kp

mycelium is pronounced my-SEA-lium not my-sell-ium or my-sill-ium

Apr. 26 2013 01:49 PM
Amy from Manhattan

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone's being allergic to mushrooms. Are there any that cause allergies (whether or not they're outright poisonous)?

Apr. 26 2013 01:48 PM
kp from nj

Ergot is thought to be the cause of the Salem Witch trials. The fungus grows in rye, makes hallucinogenic compounds, you make bread out of the infected rye grains and appear to go crazy....

Apr. 26 2013 01:44 PM
Jay from NYC & CT

Can you eat lichen -- part fungus -- but is it edible?
We have lichen covering our trees -- is this bad for the trees in CT?

Apr. 26 2013 01:43 PM
Jon from West Village

Is it really possible to cultivate truffles?

Apr. 26 2013 01:42 PM
thatgirl from manhattan

Colleen - For our region, you'll find morels early-to-mid autumn. I've found these and chanterelles in abundance in the forests in the Hudson Valley.

Apr. 26 2013 01:41 PM
thatgirl from manhattan

Eugenia Bone is a wonderful writer not only about, but so many other culinary subjects! Pick up any of her books--they're always a great read!

Apr. 26 2013 01:39 PM
pliny from soho

we used to put a quarter in the pan,
that's when they were all silver,
and if it didn't turn black
they were not poison.
of course not true
and probably sickened a lot of people

Apr. 26 2013 01:37 PM
Colleen from Brooklyn,

Morels! Any info on the morel season? As a native of northern Michigan, I'm missing the picking season and waiting eagerly for deals on dried morels.

Apr. 26 2013 01:37 PM