Big Business Presents NYC Jobs Blueprint

Thursday, April 25, 2013

help wanted, sign, jobs, economy, employment (B.J. McCray/flickr)

Mitch Rudin, Chief Executive Officer and President of US commercial operations at Brookfield Properties Corporation, and Kathryn Wylde, President and CEO of the Partnership for New York City, discuss the NYC Jobs Blueprint they've put forth, outlining their recommendations for economic growth for the next mayor.

Mitch Rudin and Kathryn Wylde

Tony from Canarsie

ladyjay114 -- Thanks for the information. Now I am going to read the darn thing!

Apr. 25 2013 12:30 PM

Did anyone read this NYC Jobs Blueprint??? Don't bother because its the biggest hack job ever. Its basically how the Bloomberg administration is so wonderful and how we need to be "wary" of the next mayoralty. Crapola! The second thing they did was set the Great Recession between 2007 and 2009 in an effort to skew the numbers more favorably to the position of the report. It was really 2008-2011 and some might argue that its still continuing.

Also what wasn't mentioned in the report was the reason why the middle class has been stymied in this city - the absurd real estate prices of Manhattan has caused an influx of higher income residents into once affordable neighborhoods in the other four boroughs. Housing costs are now forcing middle income residents out of the city. NYC cannot survive solely on families who make over $100K a year - simply because there's not enough of those families. If the housing trend continues, watch the city's population steadily decrease. Remember, this is the third census where NYS and NYC has lost representatives in the Congress due to lagging population.

Apr. 25 2013 11:54 AM
Mike from Tribeca

I love the smell of "I've Got Mine, Jack" in the morning.

On second thought, not really.

Apr. 25 2013 11:36 AM
RBC from Brooklyn

My big gripe with this new tech sector is that they spend a lot of investor money yet they don't produce anything substantial. The majority of "tech" products that have come out of NYC have to do with entertainment or fashion and are not really usable for the majority of the population. It just seems to me like this is another bubble.

Apr. 25 2013 11:34 AM

Ok, I lied. Out of respect for Brian, I instead went to the bathroom and threw up. There. It's out of my system.

Just one last parting swing. I wouldn't define these two lackeys as representative of the "business community". Everybody who works is part of the business community - very few of us are ever actually heard. Paid mouthpieces are not representative of the business community - they are the voices of wealthy advocates and their agenda. OTHERWISE, they would hold a real job.

Ugh.

Apr. 25 2013 11:33 AM

I ♥ civicmedia!

Apr. 25 2013 11:31 AM
Kate from Queens Village

I am SO TIRED of people claiming the NYC of the 70's no longer exists referring to crime. Yes clearly Manhattan and areas of Brooklyn have been Disneyfied and tidied up but HELLO come to the outer boroughs. NYC, it isn't just Manhattan! And this guy saying middle class can look in LIC for affordable housing - I mean is he joking???? Brian this segment was pure propaganda for the rich and I am surprised at how "Lehrer Lite" this show was.

Apr. 25 2013 11:31 AM
halloran

We have a disheartening demonstration of why "listener supported" public radio/TV isn't remotely independent -- and that however these networks, like WNYC, choose to raise money, they can't truthfully say they're not beholden to big money interests.

Apparently, the claims of some WNYC guests are simply beyond challenge. To get a rise out of Brian, these two guests would have to say something unkind about Israel.

Apr. 25 2013 11:29 AM

Seriously, how many times is this guy going to mention 9/11? If this was a drinking game, I'd be scandalously tipsy for before noon.

Apr. 25 2013 11:28 AM
Amy from Manhattan

On tax structure, a friend told me that when a store goes out of business, the building owner can write it off as a tax loss as long as that space remains empty. This reduces the need to find a tenant to replace the one that closed & lets the owner hold out for a tenant that can pay a much higher rent (not to get started on the lack of commercial rent control). I've seen storefronts stay empty for many months, sometimes over a year. What's the effect of this on jobs? No business there, no jobs, right?

Apr. 25 2013 11:27 AM
Tony from Canarsie

Less upper class snow jobs and more working class lathe jobs!

Apr. 25 2013 11:26 AM

"We're trying to say...."

[We've been feeding at the trough of Bloomberg's indifference and we are scared as hell that the next mayor might do something about our behavior and the sustainability of an underclass]

So we have a plan to keep that from happening.

Ugh. I'm trying to have an open mind, but I can't stop laughing......

Enough. I'm changing the channel.

Apr. 25 2013 11:25 AM

Kriminals®

Apr. 25 2013 11:23 AM

"Affordable" housing.

HA!

Apr. 25 2013 11:22 AM
Ben from Brooklyn

I am a long time NYC technology sector employee with a HUGE gripe against Kathy Wylde and what she represents.

Folks like Wylde KEEP using the tech sector as an excuse to push through whatever policies they wanted to push through in the first place. But one HUGE hurdle that small companies in New York face would be the policies pushed through by the Partnership for New York City and Brookfield Properties and people like them in the first place -- benefits for huge companies.

They keep negotiating HUGE tax breaks with the city for Goldman Sachs and AmEx and Citibank and EVERY large and established New York behemoth. And since the city needs to balance its books, this means HIGHER taxes on small companies and startups to make up the difference.

Why not have the LARGEST companies pay their fair share of taxes? Then you could give tax breaks or holidays so that small companies didn't need to face the hurdles they currently do paying taxes on their small leases, small profits, and first ten employees? THIS would be the thing that would make NYC friendly for startups.

Right now, NYC is much friendlier once you have 100 employees or more.

Apr. 25 2013 11:21 AM
dboy from nyc

Screw these greedy, culture-detroying real estate people.

Apr. 25 2013 11:19 AM

Oh my god? What happened? How did I tune in to Fox Business Channel?

What happened here? Did I forget to pay my internet bill this month?

I gotta call someone about this.

Apr. 25 2013 11:17 AM
Tony from Canarsie

I believe at the start of the segment, Ms. Wylde called Bloomberg the first businessman mayor, which shows a woeful lack of knowledge about the history of this city.

Apr. 25 2013 11:17 AM
art525 from Park Slope

Wow a real estate guy defending Bloomberg's record. What are the odds?

Apr. 25 2013 11:16 AM
Mike from Tribeca

What's more disturbing, a permanent underclass or a permanent overclass?

Apr. 25 2013 11:14 AM

All the way "down" to community college associates graduates?

Bite my tongue, bite my tongue. I bet once a time she used the word, "colored".

Bite my tongue, bite my tongue...

Apr. 25 2013 11:14 AM
halloran

The premise of this segment is ludicrous.

A) The fact that Bloomberg was able to buy his mayorality with his own money does not mean he wasn't beholden to "special interests" -- or wasn't a special business interest himself.

B) The notion that pols who aren't billionaires aren't sufficiently respectful of business interests is hilarious.

What country is Brian Leherer and his producers living in?

Apr. 25 2013 11:11 AM
Tony from Canarsie

As if any successful business person got there by NOT giving and receiving favors! Con artists only wish they'd thought of that grift first.

Apr. 25 2013 11:11 AM

Blah, blah, blah. Here we go. The Bloomberg "Success" Story. Let's see, more people in homeless shelters than ever in the history of the city. Almost 50% of the population near poverty.

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Thank you Brian. It's not a mixed record. It's a heinous record.

What the hell does 9/11 have to do with economic justice??????????

What a dolt.

Apr. 25 2013 11:11 AM
Dottie from Manhattan

Who made Kathryn Wylde NYC's real "mayor for life?!" Enough with the Partnership for NYC throwing its weight around on issues from jobs to education. Let the real "stakeholders" speak up, be heard, and guide change on these issues.

Apr. 25 2013 11:07 AM
Jack

Since it was posted the other day that Brian makes $200k a year. I really feel he needs to have better mastery of the issues and really ask tougher questions. I am not able to listen right now at work , but I hope Hugh Samson's analysis is used for questions. Or if Brian through his show prep was able to come up with good questions. I will say though Brian is still better than most of the news/cable hosts who make a heck of a lot more and don't have mastery of the economic and political issues. It 's pathetic most of them are overpaid.

Apr. 25 2013 10:24 AM
Hugh Sansom

A powerpoint report on the "blueprint" is available here: http://www.slideshare.net/NYCJobsBluePrint/partnership-nyc-jobs-blueprint-overview

Apr. 25 2013 09:56 AM
Hugh Sansom

Not easy to find the actual content of this "NYC Jobs Blueprint." It's better than I expected. For one thing, it does not problems the city faces, including unemployment, poverty, and stagnation of opportunities for the middle class.

It also gets important things wrong. Written by wealthy people, it predictably whines about NYC relying on "too few for two much" — that a very small percentage of the city's tax payers account for a large percentage of revenue. But this is based on _income_ taxes only and excludes sales taxes. It also excludes benefits that wealthy New Yorkers enjoy, like the mortgage interest deduction (including deductions for second homes). By contrast, poorer New Yorkers, almost all renters, do _not_ get any kind of deduction for rent. Nor does the report note the disproportionate benefit that wealthy New Yorkers get in services. As recent years have shown repeatedly (in blackouts, floods, etc.), wealthy New Yorkers get preferential treatment in supply of electricity and other services.

Most importantly, and glaringly, while the report notes GDP growth in NYC, it does violence to truth by omitting that, in the past 5 years, ALL of those gains have been captured by the wealthiest New Yorkers. Indeed, the wealthiest New Yorkers have captured MORE than 100 percent of the gains in city economic growth. There has been a redistribution of wealth from the poorest and average New Yorkers to the wealthiest.

The report also downplays how dire the situation is for many. While it notes that 1 in 5 — twenty percent — of New Yorkers are below the federal poverty line (which is unrealistically low to begin with), it fails to note the far larger percentages of New Yorkers who are on food stamps are suffering food stress (the stress of not being able to afford food). Something like one-third of children in the city live in food stressed households.

But the authors of the "blueprint" whine about the taxes _they_ pay while pushing for policies that will further serve to redistribute wealth from the average to themselves.

Apr. 25 2013 09:37 AM
Roberto Gautier from Brooklyn, NY

I recommend that Mitch Rudin be asked about how the NYC Noise Code waiver for its work at the Hudson Yards has caused health problems for nearby residents who are forced to endure sleep disturbances because of jackhammering, movement of construction vehicles, piercing backup alarms and demolition during sleep hours. Specifically, students at the FIT dorm have been a target of this project. NBC news did at least one report on the situation.

Apr. 25 2013 07:57 AM