This I Believe

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Jay Allison, host and curator of This I Believe, joins us with new collected credos. Plus, listener credos read live on the air.

Check out the new book, This I Believe II: More Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women

Jay Allison

Tallon from Dublin

I think it's interesting (and hilarious) that every one of these comments starts with or includes 'I BELIEVE'. Wow American's are wild with self importance and a quasi-religious worship of the sanctity of the individuals elevation from a member of the throng to the centre of the Universe. Thus a mistrust of the collective (society/world community). What 'I believe' this amounts to is a gross vanity that stretches from fundamentalist religious belief to unadulterated capitalism and the GOD of consumerism.

Nov. 03 2008 09:35 AM
DJ T-MAC from Ft Myers FL

I rarely have a DJ set without a Prince drop. I believe in Dr Rendezvouz.

Oct. 26 2008 01:09 PM
Al

Eson Kim's essay...inspiring.

Oct. 24 2008 07:46 AM
michaelw from INWOOD

Stu in NYC you're spot on!

I don't have any of your problems but it's people like you who the government is bleeding dry.

So move out of this area it just isn't worth it any more.

Or find an accountant who is a ***.

Stop paying the baby sitter on the books it doesn't do you or her any good.

No one realizes it that this country is going down in flames. It will be a third world nation before you know it.

We have too many legal and illegal immigrants in this country depleting our resources

Oct. 22 2008 11:12 AM
Augustus Truhn from manhattan

The essence of these essays is exactly what we need, and what you said about taking a small activity and giving it birth to a much larger, more profound idea is the very foundation to every significant evolutionary change we have experienced thus far in our small, humble existence.
Thank you!

Oct. 22 2008 11:02 AM
tash from les

Not sure if this is the right comment board for this:

But This I know...Ira Glass calling Paul is the BEST clip I've heard in a pledge drive, ever.

Oct. 22 2008 11:00 AM
jethro from NY, ny

grown man, I just cried at work listening to this last essay

Oct. 22 2008 10:50 AM
Laura from Staten Island

Yes, Prince rocks!

Oct. 22 2008 10:50 AM
michaelw from INWOOD

This I believe - these essays are mind numbingly boring.

Oct. 22 2008 10:49 AM
LCS from Manhattan

Lucas: I couldn't agree more. I get mad when people don't like Prince, or when they only like "Raspberry Beret." If you think you don't like prince, you haven't been listening closely, and as you say, you have no concept of fun. Well put!

Oct. 22 2008 10:47 AM
Howard Tarplin from Maplewood, NJ

I LOVE Prince and agree with your poster. Not that the music is fantastic, which it is, but that it's a good way to determine compatibility. Also, Prince may be the best live performer I've ever seen and I've seen hundreds of live R&R acts from Hendrix and Zappa to the Dead and Janis.

Cary On!!!

Oct. 22 2008 10:44 AM
hjs from 11211

i hate prince.
guess that says it all.

Oct. 22 2008 10:40 AM
stu in nyc

I believe that if you play by the rules, but you're not a millionaire and you don't have connections, you're screwed.

My wife and I bought a house that we could afford. We got a decent mortgage due to our good credit rating. all our bills are paid on time. We both work more than full time jobs to pay for child care for our 2 pre-school children while we work. Our sitter is paid on the books, and we pay payroll taxes for her. We're not rich, but we make sure our kids are fed and clothed (I wish I had the time or spare cash to buy new clothes).

Since our government comes to the rescue to those who cannot afford their sub-prime mortgage payments, and the government rescues the banks who gave out those sub-prime mortgages, etc etc etc, what is the government doing for those of us who play by the rules?

Because of the alternative minimum tax (AMT), our mortgage interest deduction (one of the benefits of owning a home) is dis-allowed. Our child care credits go out the window too. And in NY, our local taxes are dis-allowed. This means we have to pay more taxes to Uncle Sam.

Politicians have been discussing tax overhaul for years, but no substantial changes have been made. I've yet to hear substantial details and time frames for reforming the tax code from either candidate. I'm not Joe the Plumber (our taxes are paid, and there's no skeletons in our closets), nor do I want to be a celebrity for 15 minutes. I want relief soon, before my kids go to college.

Oct. 22 2008 10:28 AM
Jeffrey Slott from East Elmhurst

I believe that the human race is destined for self-destruction and that it's a shame we have to drag the rest of this planet's species to hell with us.

Oct. 22 2008 10:24 AM
SF from NYC

I believe once we start investing in our own well being we will make more of a positive difference throughout the world than any war could ever accomplish.
Our children need better schools and teachers who are well compensated for the highly important jobs they have chosen. Less testing and more learning! No child is the same nor do they develop at the same speed.
I believe if we the people all make a real effort to make universal health care a reality it will happen. This will save us billions of dollars and keep our people safer, happier and healthier.

Oct. 22 2008 09:44 AM
eva

I believe in certain immutable physical laws as they are experienced on earth. Namely gravity. And that the effort to resist gravity through one's own meager physical system, unaided by motors, is essential to our collective health and survival.
Real american independence involves reconnecting with the simple physical task of walking home across a snowy field, or biking or walking to work instead of taking the Porsche Cayenne, and having strength enough to build solar panels, or to lift invalid veterans off their bedpans on a volunteer basis.
To contribute with so much less - even on a "simple" physical level - is the enormous opportunity that this economic downturn affords us. The body is a cage; it is also the route to our collective freedom.
As a side-note, I believe the recent trend of patients reducing their statins due to cost may ironically help many of them to seek tried, old methods that will better serve them - instead of serving big pharma.

Oct. 22 2008 01:04 AM
Elicia Berger from Brooklyn, NY

I believe that leadership skills are nurtured through one’s own knowledge of who you are, what drives you, and what you believe in. I believe in: Belief. Growth. Possibility. The imagination. The human connection. So much can be understood and accomplished — through writing.

In second grade, my teacher gave me what I came to realize as the best gift I’ve ever received: a plain yet sturdy gray soft-covered journal. I continued to write in a journal, and have continued to do so to this day. I reflect, I learn, and sometimes, if I’m lucky, I solve things. Writing, if shared, is both a means of self-expression and a possible route to social change. We all have a “story,” we are all human. In the midst of so much conflict around the world, it is hard to believe sometimes, but at least we all share this.

Stories are powerful. They are a window into who we are, how we and others see and understand the world. They reach audiences near and far. They create connections. They force people to look below the surface. I believe that good leaders should have a level of sincerity and understanding of people, including themselves, which I think comes with regular writing and reflection. In looking within, leaders will become more compassionate and understanding of the human spirit, our strengths and weaknesses, but most importantly—our strengths.

Oct. 21 2008 11:06 AM
Nathan from Saint Petersburg

I believe that beliefs matter.

We have an obligation to struggle with the difficult questions of our time and a lack of intellectual curiosity is not to be admired, but looked down upon. Consistency of belief is a virtue to strive for; if our beliefs are inconsistent, we must be wrong about something. Here are a handful of beliefs I have that influence my life and impact my decisions.

Animals count for something. We must weigh the suffering we inflict on them with the benefits we gain. I believe that my children will feel about eating meat like I feel about homophobia and my parents feel about racism; that these are obvious fundamental errors in human judgment. I do not want to be on the wrong side of history.

I believe that religion is not a benign fantasy, but a genuine stumbling block in the way of reason and progress.

I believe that ending world poverty is the moral duty of all people. Raising people out of abject poverty is the most efficient way to convert resources to utility. Increasing the economic opportunities for the world’s poor will help combat dire problems such as starvation, population growth and oppression.

I believe there is benefit even in disagreement if it causes you to further articulate and refine your own position.

Please think about what you believe and why.

Oct. 21 2008 11:04 AM
jean evertsen

I believe I’m truly blessed to be an American, a New Jersey girl in love, and one less than one month from her 50th birthday. It’s shocking to me that I say that as I’ve been the antithesis of a flag waver since high school, but it has taken the last few months of living in Dubai for me to understand the true gifts of education, voting rights, competitive news organizations, decent health provider options, somewhat accountable government institutions and, of course, unlimited internet access - with live streaming from WNYC.

My heart breaks for every Jerseyan who loses her job because of those fat cats all around that have flaunted their greed for years. It pains me to hear that 8 out of 10 women are worried about their financial future. It hurts to know that the model of wealth-at-all-costs has gripped the world and we led the charge. I’m not be proud to be an American because our policies and mindset have been condescending and provincial. But I believe my experience as a New Jerseyan has blessed me with perception, open-mindedness, and compassion for others. The freedom I’ve had to live my own life, make my own choices, and choose my path was something I took for granted. What an eye opener it is to live over here!

My heart aches because my love is in New York, but, since love conquers all, I have no real worries. Jersey girls have the strength and the power to see through the tough times, just like the rest of America.

Oct. 21 2008 11:02 AM
Lucas A. Ortega from Brooklyn, NY

I believe that I do not trust anyone that does not like Prince. Not because I am an avid fan or a delusional music dork. But because someone who does not like Prince, does not respect the word 'fun'. This is a practical belief and a perfect deal breaker when online dating. Think about Prince's music. Its a comprehensive guide to mature sexuality, urban and suburban fantasy while remaining playful, relevant and funky. Anyone who tells you that they do not like Prince is bound to be someone to run from at a party, fall asleep on in a conference room or tune out on a blind date. This may sound strange, but think about it. Would you trust anyone that doesn't like Prince?

Oct. 21 2008 10:14 AM
Eson Kim from Plainfield, New Jersey

I believe that the success of our country goes beyond electing either Obama or McCain as president. The health and strength of our country depends on some good old-fashioned humility.

I teach college freshmen, and every term, an ever-increasing number of students expect high grades for work that is substandard at best. Basically, these students want the reward without the work. I’ve come to see a parallel between my classroom experience and the way our nation’s citizens view our political leaders.

As I prepare to vote in the upcoming election, I clearly favor one candidate, but I am wary of the idea that he will be the sole solution to the array of challenges facing our country. If I want an improvement to my life, I must be willing to do something to earn it. So, the real change and improvements will start with me.

Instead of placing so much responsibility upon the shoulders of elected officials, we have to look at our immediate surroundings and ask ourselves: What can I do to fortify my financial position? What can I do to reduce crime in my community or to strengthen the local public school? What is within my control and how can I make it better? It is this type of grassroots-level commitment that truly produces nationwide results.

I believe that once we, as individuals, start rolling up our sleeves and investing the energy and effort to earn our rewards, our country will move into a new age of wealth and success that we can all enjoy together.

Oct. 20 2008 12:38 PM