Where to Eat in Queens

Friday, April 19, 2013

Tom Liddy, Queens news editor and columnist for DNAinfo.com, talks about the borough’s diverse variety of restaurants tells us where to eat in Queens. He writes the "Make This Tonight" column.

Tom Liddy

Laura from Astoria from Queens

I listened to this segment on podcast yesterday and couldn't believe how under informed the guest was. Japanese in Astoria? There is a small but thriving community centered around Broadway & 31st street. A Japanese grocery and a few sushi places, Linn comes to mind are there. Also Hinomaru Ramen on Ditmars has gotten tons of rave reviews. JJ's is Japanese fusion that's been doing great business on 31st Ave for years now.
As far as more trendy places, The Queens Kickshaw on Broadway specializes in excellent coffee and inventive dishes. BareBurger offers organic grassfed burgers and other healthy options. I could go on and on, for more Astoria coverage check out some of the great blogs covering the area, like We Heart Astoria. Enjoy!

May. 04 2013 11:11 AM
Shane from Astoria from Hallet's Cove

I just listened to this segment on a podcast. The information provided by the gentleman being interviewed was generic, dated, secondhand and inaccurate. Please do another segment on eating out in Queens and have it be a call-in show if you can't find a qualified commentator. You could do an entire segment on Astoria alone and include some of the information people have mentioned in previous comments and more. No Japanese in Astoria? Don't tell that to the growing Japanese community here that can shop at a branch of a Japanese based grocery store, and can choose between two new ramen restaurants which have opened recently... Also, to talk about the food in Flushing without having any idea what makes it interesting, and the places and cultures in China that it represents is baffling, especially considering the NY Times wrote about it and essentially provided a "walking tour" in 2008. And Leonard, there are Egyptian restaurants here because there are Egyptians here, not because the food is "similar" to Greek...

May. 02 2013 08:55 PM
Frank from Queens

Does this guy even live in Queens? Lenard knows more about Queens scene than he does. Jackson Diner? Bang Noodles? Hello? My favorite burger place has a nice yellow arch out front, easy to find. Did you read by blog? Sigh, typical Queens coverage. And fwiw, Japanese food explosion going on in Astoria/Ditmars.

Apr. 21 2013 09:21 PM
AP from Flushing

Is the sushi buffet he was talking about Sushi Village? That place is getting popular.

Apr. 21 2013 01:59 PM
Sarah

Rebecca from Jackson Heights, I always thought Jackson Diner was good—but not THAT good.

Apr. 19 2013 02:55 PM
Rebecca from Jackson Heights

I encourage people to explore restaurants in Jackson Heights, but there is NO reason to eat at The Jackson Diner. I have no idea why anyone would go there, let alone recommend it, because the food is not worth it. Maybe some people are just too lazy to walk more than 1/2 block from the subway. Instead, I would recommend Chili Chicken (formerly Himalaya Hut). Particularly good dishes are the Coriander Garlic Shrimp and Masala French Fries.

Apr. 19 2013 02:00 PM

I agree with Dennis, Linn on Broadway between Crescent and 30th in Astoria is fantastic.

Apr. 19 2013 01:36 PM
anonyme

@CML!

Thank you!!!!!!!

I'm a shut-in who loooves noodles (good one) - they hopefully deliver

Apr. 19 2013 01:30 PM
cml from sunnyside

@anonyme Hinamaru Ramen in Astoria

Apr. 19 2013 01:25 PM
Gary from Huntington

Bang Noodles should be from Lanzhou, the capital of Gansu Province in Northwest China. The are is heavily Muslim, so the noodles are typically prepared in dishes that are Halal.(lots of lamb soup.)

They are ubiquitous in Shanghai, where I lived for the past three years.

Apr. 19 2013 01:25 PM
Dennis from Astoria

To address the first comment, Linn is a great Japanese restaurant in Astoria that is actually operated by Japanese people.

Apr. 19 2013 01:24 PM
MC from Manhattan

The BEST Taiwanese secret ( I am not sure I want to reveal this) is on Broadway in Elmhurst .... the Chinese name is
Lao Hua Xi Jie ... It is a gem I don't want it to be flooded with non aficionado's so you wil have to figure out how to find it your self!

Apr. 19 2013 01:22 PM
mr nyc

Ask him about Bare Burger - it started in Queens and is now conquering NYC.

Apr. 19 2013 01:20 PM
anonyme

How about good Japanese food in Astoria or LIC? (great if they deliver too) authentic noodles)
Thanks!

Apr. 19 2013 01:18 PM
MC from UES same CG as Astoria

Wanna be Hipster Brooklyn is out .... Queens is a great part of the REAL NYC!
I have been all over the world and there is no where that you can get the variety and quality to match Queens!
Queens has Asian food that is the equivalent or better than Asia .....

Apr. 19 2013 01:17 PM
antonio from baySide

I am a refugee from parkSlope now in baySide. Any suggestions to restaurants on par with Al di La, Convivium Osteria, The Grocery?

Apr. 19 2013 12:31 PM