Newtown Residents 'Disgusted' By Gun Bill Defeats in Senate

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Honan Funeral Home in Newtown, CT (Ilya Marritz)

Emotionally drained family members of the Newtown, Connecticut shooting victims say they're disappointed but undaunted after Wednesday's U.S. Senate vote derailing gun control.

One measure would have expanded gun buyer background checks at gun shows and for online purchases. The gun reform advocates joined Connecticut Senators Richard Blumenthal and Chris Murphy on a conference call after the 54-to-46 vote fell six votes shy of the 60 needed to block a Republican-led filibuster. An assault weapons ban was also defeated.

Erica Lafferty, the daughter of Dawn Hochsprung, the slain principal of Sandy Hook Elementary School said, "I'm honestly disgusted at the result of today's vote, however I'm not discouraged. I do not feel personally defeated. I have an amazing team to stand with, and we absolutely will overcome this."

Steven Barton grew up in Connecticut near Newtown and was wounded in the Aurora, Colorado movie theater shooting. He says the last couple of weeks on Capitol Hill have been especially frustrating for the victims of gun violence.

Speaking of those Senators who opposed gun reform legislation, Barton said, "I can't tell you how discouraging it is, how really insulting it is to sit across from them and have them talk about certain burdens, that a background check is a bridge too far."

Barton says he and other victims of gun violence will continue their fight to strengthen the nation's gun laws.

Senator Richard Blumenthal called the Senate vote "heartbreaking" and "the most shocking day of my life in public service."

Senator Murphy said he would fight to change the filibuster rule to make it easier to pass legislation that has majority support in the senate.

Editors:

Julianne Welby

Tags:

More in:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Ericka

Culture, shmulture. they're afraid they'll lose the right to shoot at a target, kill a defenseless animal, or "protect their family?" There aren't enough psychiatrists to treat these loonies.

a la Gabby Giffords ( a glock pistol afficiando), they might only see the wisdom of disarmament when they're personally affected.

Apr. 18 2013 04:25 PM
LAFOU from bowling green

The 2nd amendment ranters seem like a threat to everybody else. Maybe this argument is smoking them out, to use W's expression.

Apr. 18 2013 02:48 PM
BT

Wow. Apparently gun owners like the (gentleman?) above are unable to make decisions for themselves. It's all the fault of those of us who hate violence; my gosh, we're just forcing them to senselessly buy guns, against their will!

No wonder they buy assault weapons. Feeling powerless? Stock up!

Apr. 18 2013 01:38 PM
2nd Amendment from Here

You anti-freedom, anti-Constitution gun-grabbing facists are the best! I have owned guns continuously for 40 years. I never had the desire to own a so-called "assault weapon"....until the Nazis tried to deny me my right to own them if I so chose. I have just completed my 2nd "assault weapons" purchase...a Romanian AK-47. Also picked up 20 high capacity mags and 1000 rds of ammo for it, just to get me started. Make a nice companion to my AR-15. I wonder if any of you geniuses realize that the only significant effect you have had is to convince tens of thousands of people like me to start stocking up on "assault weapons", mags and ammo? You should get dividend checks from the makers of ARs, AKs and SKSs for helping to pump up their sales so much.

Apr. 18 2013 12:27 PM