Philippe Petit Ties Knots

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Philippe Petit, who performed on a wire illegally rigged between the New York World Trade Center’s twin towers on August 7, 1974, talks about how knots have been indispensable throughout his celebrated career. His new book Why Knot? How to Tie More Than Sixty Ingenious, Useful, Beautiful, Lifesaving, Secure Knots! is a guide to tying his essential knots.

Philippe Petit

Keira

I look forward to Mr Petit's book--I am a great fan. He might want to add this wonderful book on how to tie sneaker and boot laces to his collection. Beautifully illustrated and the book is designed to mimic a sneaker where you can actually follow along using the author's very precise diagrams.

Laces:100s of Ways to Pimp Your Kicks

Apr. 17 2013 09:01 PM
Doris from New York City

Philippe Petit: What a chrming man! I sure would buy his book if he was the reader.

Apr. 17 2013 01:02 PM
anonyme

Of course you are American, PP! I'm proud to hear you say it!

Apr. 17 2013 12:59 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Knots were 1 of my serial obsessions when I was a kid. I mostly used them in camping/hiking--bowline, 2 half hitches, or clove hitch--but I practiced all kinds. I'm kind of amazed how this is coming back to me as I listen to Mr. Petit.

Apr. 17 2013 12:57 PM
thatgirl from manhattan

Mr. Petit's spirit is truly indomitable, and I hope he continues to teach and inspire the public.

And if you've never seen the film about his Towers feat, you must:

It's a fascinating thing to behold, and I never tire of watching it!

Apr. 17 2013 12:53 PM
Steve from UWS

I share Philip's love of knots from hanging around film sets, which can be extremely boring. I learned alot about knots from the grips and electricians and would practice with sash cord during the long stretches of waiting.

Apr. 17 2013 12:50 PM
anonyme

I love this! Wonderful! You are wonderful, Monsieur Petit!

Apr. 17 2013 12:49 PM
Tony from Tribeca

As a fan of Mr. Petit and of conjuring effects involving knots and rope, I'm looking forward to reading his book.

Apr. 17 2013 12:48 PM
Derek from Long Island

In my profession (Film Production)why is the clove hitch so popular?

Apr. 17 2013 12:47 PM