Open Phones: Saying Good-Bye to Shea Stadium

Friday, September 26, 2008

Listener memories of Shea Stadium as the final home game approaches. What's your top Shea memory? Comment below!

Sheryl from Howell, NJ

Gotta love Shea... my first baseball game was there (with the Girl Scouts, when I was 9) and I've been a loyal fan ever since. Sure, it's not beautiful or as memorable as some other stadiums, but it sure served an important purpose. My son's first game was at Shea (to his father's dismay), and I even made a special trip there this year so that my unborn baby (due next month) could have his "first" game at Shea!
Looking forward to attending games at Citi Field next season, always with fond memories of Shea.

Sep. 26 2008 04:39 PM
Met Memories from NYC

Check out Meigray.com if you are really interested in Shea Stadium -- they have some of the most iconic parts of the stadium (and also some very affordable items) for sale. Before you groan, this is much better than items of true Americana going to the dump -- and the proceeds go to the Met Foundation which serves great charities.

Sep. 26 2008 02:28 PM
Mr.Met from Manhattan

Long live Shea memories: 1970s, going with my grandfather to see Seaver, Bob Gibson, Juan Marichal; freezing my butt off in the upper deck during a Jets playoff game in the early 80s; The Rolling Stones Steel Wheels tour, 1989; up-close for many games when I was working as a press photographer - hearing Gary Carter shout "darn" after making an out; introducing my young son to baseball the past few years.

Sep. 26 2008 11:59 AM
April from Kensington, Brooklyn

I still think of Shea as brand new, I was in 2nd grade or so when the World's Fair and Shea were created. Modern, hip, now.

Sep. 26 2008 11:01 AM
Jim from Astoria

Brian,

Don't you have a seven second delay button on your (or the engineer's) console? I would think that after the first caller with the lude remark, that you would have been ready for the next one!

I am sorry that some fellow listeners to your show have such low standards.

Keep up the good work.

Jim In Astoria

Sep. 26 2008 11:00 AM
Felipe from Brooklyn

My dad took me to my first Mets game as a child in the mid 80s. He wasn't a big baseball fan having come from South America where soccer is all you know. But I think the free tixs was incentive to go. I wasn't much of a fan myself but when I walked in not only was I scared (because we were in the upper deck and I was afraid of heights) but thrilled to see the huge field and players live. They were playing the Dodgers that day and on the mound was Fernando Valenzuela who I recognized from the few baseball cards I owned. After that game baseball became a part of my everyday life. My dad was still not much of a fan but hey what can you do?

Sep. 26 2008 11:00 AM
Dubya from SoHo

Everything is wrong with Mets fans. As they say, Yankees fans are sophisticated and Mets fans are peasants from Long Island and the uncaged animals from Queens and Brooklyn. The greasy Long Islanders are who you have to watch out for. If you happen to sit near them, you will leave reeking of Armani Exchange cologne.

Sep. 26 2008 10:58 AM
Gary from NJ formerly from Queens

Banner Days were the greatest days of the year.
I would steal a sheet from my mother's linen cabinet. My friends and I used many magic markers to tell the world of our love for the METS.

Sep. 26 2008 10:57 AM
johnjohn from New York

It must be the Yankee fans who are calling up and doing all that nasty calls.
Go Mets.

Sep. 26 2008 10:57 AM
Anne from Manhattan

When the two obscene callse came in, Brian said "What's with Mets fans?" I don't think those people were Mets fans... don't you think it's more likely they were Yankees fans trying to disrupt the Mets call-in time?

Sep. 26 2008 10:57 AM
KC from NYC

[I think Seaver WAS the no. 41 he was talking about there, Brian.]

Sep. 26 2008 10:56 AM
O from Forest Hills

You are getting a beautiful new stadium. Have some gratitude.

Too much negativity on the show this week, Brian. Come now, be grateful the new stadium is beautiful. We have so much in America, let's add gratitude.

Sep. 26 2008 10:55 AM
Metfan from Queens

Meet the Mets, meet the Mets
Step right up and greet the Mets
Bring the kiddies, bring the wife
Or leave 'em home and have the time of your life!

Sep. 26 2008 10:53 AM
Nelson from NYC

Hey Robert go suck it! Brian, as a life-long fan who has grown up with the ups and (mostly) downs, I appreciate the vote of confidence you just gave us.

Sep. 26 2008 10:52 AM
mc from Brooklyn

My enduring memory of Shea is June of '05,'06 and '07 when we participated in a Little League event. The kids lined up in their uniforms around the perimeter of the stadium for the national anthem. What a picture - all those colors. The Yankees did no allow a similar event.

The Cyclones allow the kids to stand on the field with the athletes.

Sep. 26 2008 10:47 AM
maya from NYC

regarding all new sports arenas.. I think it's ABSOLUTELY OUTRAGEOUS that even a DIME of taxpyaer money is being used to finance sports arenas for millionaires.. the team owners are millionaires, the players are millionaires.. why should taxpayers finance their playrounds??????????????

Sep. 26 2008 09:46 AM
Robert from NYC

Good!!! Now rebuild in another state. Go Mets! Really, GO!!

Sep. 26 2008 08:35 AM