Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Allergies

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Beth Shapouri, writer for New York Magazine, and Dr. Steven Lamm, clinical assistant professor at New York University and contributing editor to Best Life Magazine, discuss fall allergies and what you should do to cope.

Steven Lamm and Beth Shapouri
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Janice Muscio from manhattan

Lining one's nose with vaseline keeps the CAUSE of the allergies, pollen, out of the body there by reducing the allergic symptoms.

I could not more vehemently disagree with the doctor you had on. Taking any drug everyday is not good for our body or our immune system. Antihistamines treat the sypmtoms and we need to look at the cause and start there.

Sep. 16 2008 11:37 AM
Heather from New Jersey

I have found that locally produced honey works great! I am life long allergy sufferer and hate taking medicine. I have found that a tablespoon of honey a day (in tea, yogurt, or just on a spoon) really helps. It works better if you eat it regularly starting before allergy season.

Sep. 16 2008 11:14 AM
Re Jin Lee from New York City

typo: chronic

i would also like to add that i've gone through surgery, experimented all types of allergy shots and nothing has relieved me like acupuncture. unfortunately, i've only found one acupuncture place that is capable of such - in California.

I often travel to California for acupuncture sessions.
the relief is temporary, but worth it.
It would be a treatment i'd go to every 3 - 4 months if i lived in CA.

Sep. 16 2008 11:06 AM
charles from nyc

I don't know about "pushing an arm down" but I believe testing muscle strength in the presence and absence of an allergen is a legitimate diagnostic approach. No?

Sep. 16 2008 11:00 AM
Re Jin Lee from New York City

Hi!

I have chronicle rinitis and sinus.
I've had allergies since i was 8. I'm now 30.
the only thing that has cured me temporarily is accupuncture.

Sep. 16 2008 10:58 AM
Re Jin Lee from New York City

Hi!

I have chronicle rinitis and sinus.
I've had allergies since i was 8. I'm now 30.
the only thing that has cured me temporarily is accupuncture.

Sep. 16 2008 10:58 AM
robert from park slope

Does quitting smoking aggravate allergies?

Sep. 16 2008 10:57 AM
Robert from NYC

And I'm 62 but I've developed allergies gradually over the years starting at about 45, but my reactions are not as bad as for many other people, but they are both annoying and at times irritating. I knew something was up 2 days ago when my nose started running. I happened in the spring stopped over the summer and is now back this week. I've never had a Dr or Allergist check it out so I'm just self-diagnosed.

Sep. 16 2008 10:57 AM
Laura from Stamford, CT

There are many ways of dealing with allergies non-medically. NAET, Jaffee-Mellor Technique, use accupuncture points, homeopathic nosodes to desensitize the body to allergens that are present in the atmosphere, like it or not. Medications pollute the liver which make the bodies job harder to clear out toxins.

Sep. 16 2008 10:57 AM
Ana from Summit

When I moved to the US 10 years ago and heard people complaining about allergies, including my mom, I thought they were just snobs winning too much. Was I wrong! Now I get itchy nose watery eyes etc, every spring and fall.

Sep. 16 2008 10:55 AM
Matthew from Brooklyn

I'm a life-long severe allergy sufferer. I'm allergic to everything that grows, dogs, cats and everything else. I've had the prick test (poke a hole in my back, pour some allergen in measure the the welt), two years of allergy shots and I have a store of generic Benadryl that I go through each season. This Fall season is worse than this past Spring was, and Spring was no fun.

Far and away the thing that helped me the most was getting in really good shape. I exercise intensely 4-6 days per week and instead of wanting to tear my nose off every allergy season I now only need to take a couple Benadryl once or twice a day. I wish one of the many, many doctors I met with as a kid about my allergies had told me to get in shape first.

Sep. 16 2008 10:55 AM
Merrill Clark from Summit, NJ

Remedy: I have prescribed Astelin, which is a saline solution and immediately stops sneezing. I am wondering how an over the counter saline nasal mist would compare. (Can you tell my Astelin prescription is up?) Thanks

Sep. 16 2008 10:54 AM
O from Forest Hills

Are people supposed to take cold medicine all the time for allergies or should they let it run it's course to clear out of the body?

Sep. 16 2008 10:54 AM
Dana from Teaneck, NJ

My allergies are TERRIBLE this year. I've been in misery for the last few weeks - and don't recall being allergic to ragweed in previous years. Do allergies get worse as you get older?

Sep. 16 2008 10:53 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

What does Dr. Zizmor say

Sep. 16 2008 10:53 AM
Peter from Flatbush, Brooklyn

I have horrible mold allergies, after the leaves start to fall and gets rained on I start to feel sneezy wheezy and fluish.

Unfortunatly I live in a tree heavy part of Brooklyn. Am I doomed to suffer untill the first long frost every year?

Sep. 16 2008 10:53 AM
Natasha (please withold name!) from brooklyn

Just a couple days ago my scalp started itching like crazy. At first I freaked out, thinking I had lice, but the doctor didn't think so. I usually have allergies in the spring, and mild excema all year round. Could this be allergies?

Thanks,
Itchy in NYC

Sep. 16 2008 10:52 AM
michaelw from INWOOD

I heard saline solution in the nose helps?

man my nose is so itchy it's keeping me awake at night.

Also my father and brother have had bad allergies all their lives and I was immune to them. Then in my 30s all of a sudden I'm allergic to horse never was before and sneezing during the spring and Fall.

What the hell?