Political Wrap-Up

Monday, September 15, 2008

Clarence Page, syndicated columnist for the Chicago Tribune, gives the latest on presidential politics.

Clarence Page

Myriam S. from Ithaca, NY

Hi Brian,

I love your show, but I agree with previous comments about Clarence Page. I think the show can do much better. We need to ask tough questions to the MCCain campaign and Obama needs to fight back with all he's got.

We are witnessing, once again, the typical interaction between Republicans and Democrats when things get tough on polls due to security issues or character questions. For god's sake, expose McCain's ugly face, and the BS of the GOP. (Journalists, helllo! anybody there?) These are the same arguments and psychological terrorism from the GOP we heard 4 yrs. ago, 8 yrs. ago, and into the distant political past. Would the American people remain hostage to this kind of ideological nonsense forever? Wake up!

Sep. 17 2008 04:27 AM
Joe

There is so much real baggage in McCain's campaign that I am flabbergasted that Obama is still hitting him over using a computer. Perhaps they should hire the staff of the Daily Show to properly frame the hypocracy of statements comming out of the Palin McCain campaign. Stewart has no problem dishing it back (and also tell the truth, Barak)within 24 hours.
-Phil Graham
-S & L Crisis / Keating 5
-McCain's caving in over the past 2 years on almost every centrist position he has ever had (remember flip - flop).

Sep. 16 2008 06:46 PM
Lucie from Prospect Heights, Brooklyn

Did Obama think his moving speeches, Oprah and the support of other celebrities would seal the deal? Where are all the experts on his team? Can we remain focused on the real facts... the economy, healthcare, education, housing, etc.

Sep. 15 2008 05:44 PM
alex lerman from chappaqua NY

I have long admired Brian Leher's "dialogue not diatribe" journalism, but I find his show difficult to listen to now.

McCain and his Rove-backed handlers are running a vicious campaign. The lies are a matter of fact.

McCain has reversed himself on every issue that once differentiated him from the Republican hard right.

"Dialogue not diatribe" doesn't with a campaign based on racism, religious extremism, and contempt for anyone holding a different point of view.

At some point, "dialogue not diatribe" morphs into Fox's "fair and balanced" - a smokescreen while the robbers on the right gut the constitution, empty our treasury, and destroy the economic basis of American prosperity.

Thanks for listening.

Sep. 15 2008 03:57 PM
judy from long island

About John McCain and email: I, too, have difficulty keyboarding and rely (in part) on voice recognition software. And, not to come to McCain's defense, but let's understand that there are real physiological and neurological conditions that lead to weakened muscles and imperfect dexterity. (Cervical radiculopathy is one.)

Sep. 15 2008 01:59 PM
Laura from Manhattan

This message was created hands-free using Dragon NaturallySpeaking speech recognition software.
McCain's campaign acted outraged and used the excuse that his war wounds make it impossible for him to comb his hair, tie his shoes, or use a keyboard.

See: "Outrage From A REAL Disabled Person"
by The Gimp (excerpts below):
"I can't use my arms or hands for much of ANYTHING, and I practically LIVE on my computer. But there is a much deeper issue under the surface.
I type 60 words a minute with a pencil in my mouth. I use my lower lip to move the mouse cursor via my laptop's touchpad. I am quite good with computers and have used them since second grade, when Vick and Tandy and Commodore were state of the art. There are also TONS of adaptive equipment, voice recognition software, and more to allow the disabled to type.

SNIP
The outrage du jour the GOP have been using ...
They don't fund disabled services, fight disability rights, but then play the gimp card when it is convenient for them. And in doing so, they show an utter lack of understanding the disabled world."

Sep. 15 2008 11:34 AM
maggie from morristown nj

COME ON BRIAN! Where have you been? OF COURSE McCain not using a computer/internet/email is an issue. And no one needs to use the keyboard --a $50 voice recognition program (which I use, btw) lets anyone use a computer hands free.

McCain's not being able to use a computer says he is out of touch; unwilling to accept change; unable or unwilling to get in step with
progress. You're right, some elderly people also don't use a PC, do you want one of them to be president? I have a father in law in his 80's who uses the internet, sends email, and generally shows a willingness to stay with the times. If McCain doesn't this speaks volumes!

The criticism of Obama's ad I just heard is exactly the silly misinformed criticism Obama has had to fight all along. I enjoy your show and usually balanced approach, but this time I think you really went out of your way to make Obama seem "tone deaf" when clearly on this topic you and your guest fit that description more neatly.

Sep. 15 2008 11:09 AM
ppv1 from NYC

Brian- I curious to know if anyone who was excited by Sarah Palin has lost interest since she made her remarks at the Convention? All we hear is how more and more people love her even after stories come out questioning her record, showing her lies, and questioning her qualifications. And then, why is she so interesting after some much of what she claims turns out to be lies?

Sep. 15 2008 11:07 AM
seth from Long Island

It was totally irresponsible for Brian to repeat a Karl Rove claim without prior confirmation from 2 to 3 independent sources.
This is Journalism 101.
Where did Brian get his journalism degree?
If McCain wins, he should offer Brian a job. Brian has done a great job pushing McCain's talking points and carrying water for his campaign.

Sep. 15 2008 10:57 AM
harmon michaels from jersey city, nj

robert #8: do you remember how hillary responded when trent lott called her ugly and said he hoped her plane crashed before she could be sworn in to the senate?
she went out of her way to "make nice" with him. the hillary who ran such a tough (and ugly) race against obama would have disappeared once she got the nomination. for reasons i've never fully understood, the clintons are just cowardly when it comes to the republicans.

Sep. 15 2008 10:56 AM
Katie Kennedy from Huntington, NY

Today I have the same feeling in the pit of my stomach as I had on September 11, 2001 when I saw the first fighter jet fly over my home. The rise of John McCain in the polls, the nomination of Sarah Palin and the financial situation of this country has me very frightened. I am angry with Barack Obama because he should have seen this coming. The public was crying out for an Obama-Clinton ticket and he wouldn't do it; it stands to reason that McCain would then pick a woman. Obama underestimated the hunger of woman to break that glass ceiling. Women are their own worst enemies--they'll vote against their best interests to get what they want--a woman with real power. I cannaot believe it!

Sep. 15 2008 10:54 AM
harmon michaels from jersey city, nj

i sure wish that brian would consider having more reporters from mccain's home state of arizona on to talk about the mccain campaign. clarence page may be a nice guy but he has absolutely nothing of interest to say.

Sep. 15 2008 10:51 AM
bill from Brooklyn

The "hard working" people are racist people. Wake up. They will cut off their nose to spite their face.

Sep. 15 2008 10:48 AM
George from New Jersey

Why should the Obama campaign be responsible for other Democratic congressional hopefuls' chances of getting into office? This sense of entitlement is the big problem with the Democrats; we always want someone else to advocate on our behalf. We want Obama to show passion and indignant righteousness, almost like Atticus Finch. Why? We should be willing to stand up for the party instead of always saying the other side is playing the refs.

Sep. 15 2008 10:47 AM
sprezzatura from NY

Brian,

Every time I tune into WNYC I seen an ongoing effort to examine every weakness of the Obama campaign, real or imagined. But where is the comparable discussion (lead by you, not by your guests) on McCain? McCain has been lying on issues large and small. Where is your ongoing recognition that someone who lies about his voting record, his positions, on Sara Palin's increasingly flawed record may be worth examining, as well?

By the way, McCain is on record saying he's trying to use computers. There are dozens of photos out there showing McCain using Blackberrys, raising his arms and hands above his head, etc. So your effort to raise the issue feels like another fact free swipe at Obama.

I think you can do better than this.

Sep. 15 2008 10:47 AM
BORED

McCain uses a blackberry so the whole computer thing is untrue.

Sep. 15 2008 10:44 AM
SCG

McCain has been quoted as saying that he can use a blackberry. If he can use a blackberry, he can use a keyboard.

Sep. 15 2008 10:44 AM
Bobby G from east village

Why doesn't Obama get mad and point out that misleading lies show us how a McCain administration would govern? Haven't we just been misled for long enough?

Sep. 15 2008 10:42 AM
robert from park slope

If the democrats wanted a tough, take-no-prisoners candidate, they should have nominated Hillary.

Sep. 15 2008 10:42 AM
George from New Jersey

Democrats should get in the trenches and also fight the good fight instead of waiting for the Obama campaign to defend all the lies and smears from the McCain camp. The campaign can only do but so much.

Sep. 15 2008 10:41 AM
eva

how can you get hung up on the minor computer reference? The rest of the points in the Obama ad were really important.

Sep. 15 2008 10:39 AM
Ed

The best ad for the dems would be to keep playing the Palin/Hillary Saturday Night Live piece.

Sep. 15 2008 10:39 AM
Frances from NYC

so much for the "liberal" media.. pls read:

Sep. 15 2008 10:37 AM
seth from Long Island

I'd like Clarence Page's opinion of these Republican campaign tactics

1) Conservative Political Forum Sells Racist "Obama Waffles"

2) Newspapers Defend Decision To Deliver "Terror" DVD's To Subscribers - In Swing States

When will John McCain denounce and reject these tactics?

Sep. 15 2008 10:37 AM
eva

seth,
on the heels of the lehman failure, mccain is falling on intrade.com.
Obama is rising.
Did anyone see what Rove said over the weekend? What is he planning next with such a fakeout?

Sep. 15 2008 10:35 AM
seth from Long Island

If McCain and Palin win this election, it will be the Revenge of the Low Information Voters. John McCain's dirty tactics prove he is a man without honor, integrity, dignity, or gravitas.
Brian Lehrer and his media collegaues have given McCain a free pass and refused to call him out for his dishonest, fact free campaign.

Sep. 15 2008 10:29 AM