NY's Long Island Bus Service Saved... For Now

Email a Friend

(New York, NY -- Jim O'Grady, WNYC) The New York State Senate announced Friday it had come up with $8.6 million dollars to spare riders of the Long Island Bus drastic cuts in service. The bus line carries 33 million riders per year on routes that connect suburban Nassau County with Queens. The move came after months of high-stakes negotiations between Nassau County, a New York City suburb, and the New York Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

The authority, which runs the local bus system on behalf of Nassau County, told county officials last year they needed to pitch in $17 million more per year for the bus operation, raising the yearly contribution by Nassau County to $26 million. That would've put the county in line with nearby Suffolk and Westchester counties, which respectively pay $24 million and $30 million per year for similar services from the MTA.

Nassau officials said they couldn't afford it, especially after a state oversight board stepped in earlier this year to seize control of the county's depleted finances. The MTA said that without the money it would have to cut 27 of 48 bus lines by July, stranding 16,000 out of 100,000 passengers.

Nassau County is one of the richest counties in the nation, but has, over the years, run its finances into the ground.

Then came a public hearing last month,

where riders spoke emotionally about how the cuts would keep them from getting to jobs, school and doctor's appointments.

In the end, the MTA accepted half of what they wanted from Nassau County, which says it plans to privatize Long Island Bus next year and remove the MTA as operator.

Follow Transportation Nation on Twitter.