Open Phones: Student Voters

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A voter registration drive at Virginia Tech set off a recent fracas when a local election official tried to discourage students from registering to vote at their college. Neal Rosenstein, election specialist at the New York Public Interest Research Group, updates the story.
Students, we want to hear from you. Where are you registered to vote? Is it different from the town or state your parents reside? Was deciding where to register a strategic decision? Were you encouraged--or discouraged--from registering to vote where you attend school? Weigh in below!

Neal Rosenstein

David! from NYC

7--Andrew, you're sure that's Brooklyn? Sounds like Chicago. "Vote early and often"

Sep. 10 2008 12:20 PM
Andrew from Saratoga Springs

I am originally from Brooklyn, but went to college upstate. I never registered in Brooklyn, because I was not old enough to vote before going off to college. Once at school, I registered to be able to vote on campus.

In 2004, I voted upstate. Later in the day on Election Day, my Mom called from Brooklyn to tell me that I was on the voters rolls in Brooklyn, and that I should come home to vote a second time!

I didn't seem right to vote twice, but it also didn't seem right that I was on the rolls in a place where I'd never registered.

Sep. 10 2008 12:04 PM
Alex from brooklyn

I always voted where I grew up, rather than where I went to college, and did so for strategic reasons. The races where I grew up were closer and the other guy was scarier.

Sep. 10 2008 11:58 AM
sharon Haskell from new york

My son is a freshman in college and when
I asked him if he registered to vote he said
why bother, since NY will go democratic and the
popular vote does not count. He said if they counted
every vote (popular vs electoral) he would be more interested in participating.

Sep. 10 2008 11:58 AM
Mike from Jersey City from NJ

Has the gentleman from NYPIRG actually reviewed VA's election laws?

If not, given his claim that states have wide latitude, he may be unintentionally disenfranchising students who should be getting absentee ballots.

Sep. 10 2008 11:55 AM
Zach from UWS

I am in the same situation as commenter #2. I graduated school in New York City last year and have resided there ever since. I "live" in Ohio as far as my vote is concerned because I want it to count.

Sep. 10 2008 11:50 AM
Drea Zlanabitnig from Manhattan

I just graduated from a college in New York City, but I am registered in Florida where I am from, and choose to vote absentee because I am a Democrat and Florida is a swing state. So I rather vote in absentee in Florida where it comes close than in a reliably blue state like New York.

Sep. 10 2008 11:46 AM
Alice Twombly from Englewood, NJ

300,000 New Jersey voters have just been informed by the New Jersey Division of Motor Vehicles that they are not registered to vote. This came about by a computer glitch. I was one of those informed and I have been a voter for over 38 years at the same address. It is important that New Jersey voters call their County Clerks to make sure that they are registered to vote!

Sep. 10 2008 11:08 AM