Dominican-American Gothic

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Pulitzer prize-winning writer Junot Diaz, author of The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, talks about science fiction, parenting, and images of masculinity in Dominican culture.

Junot Diaz

ejimenez from central jersey

Thank you for sharing your conversation w/the incredibly talented and omnificent, Junot Diaz. My husband does not read novels(only reads tech websites and magazine) but I insisted that he read Junot's latest novel because I thought it was absolutely brilliant.

Although I don't understand much of the sci-fi thing, I eagerly await the journey Junot's next book will take me on.

"Books are there to create community." Junot Diaz (My new favorite quote)

Sep. 09 2008 09:30 PM
Jose Oquendo from Freeport, New York

I read "...Oscar Wao" in English. It is as wondrous as the tittle suggests. With the novel been published in Spanish a few days ago, I just can't wait to read it again. Muchas gracias Junot, for giving us the great pleasure of reading your novel and thinking about your writing, twice. And many thanks to WNYC and Brian Lehrer for such an insightful interview. Viva el crossover! What a way to learn!

Sep. 09 2008 05:47 PM
Janie from Mamaroneck, NY

Haven't read the book but will do so immediately. As a person, as a teacher, as a professional artist, a citizen in a 'democratic' country (?) with a passion for the psychology of human development, learning, and well-being, the environment, culture, and creativity, I have observed that the trends in both male and female early development and maturity ( the latter in both sexes is happening later and later but more so in males) is totally skewed by the 'cultural regression' we are in predicted by the renown psychologist Murray Bowen in the early 1970s. I wonder if Mr. Diaz knows about the work at the MIT A.I. lab going on for years about how technology is literally morphing the brain? Maybe guys are just acting out what they have learned, watched and seen in the media for all their lives. Girls aren't immune either. For them it's a different battle.

Sep. 09 2008 12:49 PM
O from Forest Hills

Junot Diaz has a lot of good insight! You go!:)

Sep. 09 2008 11:24 AM
Kay from NYC

Growing up in Union City in the 80s/90s, I loved "Drown", and was equally moved by "Oscar Wao"--Junot Diaz's writing is an inspiration to anyone, but to those of us from Northern NJ in particular--his writing is a mirror of that slice of life, no matter what your nationality.

Sep. 09 2008 11:24 AM
YVAN from NEW YORK , NY

MR DIAZ,

CAN YOU PLEASE SAY SOMETHING ABOUT THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN DOMICAN REPUBLIC AND HAITI
IN THE TIME OF TRUJILLO.

Sep. 09 2008 11:21 AM
Paul from New Rochelle, NY

Charles Bronson was a gunfighter in the "Magnificent Seven" (not sure of title). The local kids held him up as a hero and were disdainful of there farmer fathers. Bronson slapped the kids 'upside their heads' and told them frankly " Your fathers are the heroes. Staying home, working all day for you and your mothers. I work for no one but myself."

The definition of maleness has always been in question, in all cultures. (that's a little broad, but ...)

Sep. 09 2008 11:21 AM
T from Brooklyn

Junot Diaz is one of my favorite authors, thanks for having him on the show. Great interview. I didn't know anything about Trujillo before I read his novel.

Sep. 09 2008 11:19 AM
yourgo from astoria

Its a great book. I loved the Dominican Republic history incorpporated into the book. I didnt know anything about Trujillo before i read this. It was annoying when the author started writing in Spanish and i didint know what he was talking about. I felt like i was missing something. translate please. Its a great read. ALot of fun.

Sep. 09 2008 11:15 AM
rebecca

all the recent romantic comedies, knocked up, etc. the men are infant-like.

Sep. 09 2008 11:15 AM
O from Forest Hills

I love to read the Gothic genre. Thanks for this segment. I am going to get this book to read.

Sep. 09 2008 10:45 AM