Almost everything seems to have gone wrong in last year's fatal Bronx bus ride from a Connecticut casino that left 15 dead. That's according to the National Transportation Safety Board's final report on the March 11, 2011 crash. The gruesome accident brought on a cascade of criticism about safety in the rapidly growing inter-city bus industry, proposals for federal and state legislation, and tough Department of Transportation crackdowns.
The driver had seven license violations and was suspended eight times in the six years prior to the crash -- but lied to his employers about that. In the three days before he drove off I-95, he got almost no sleep.
Truckers saw him traversing rumble strips, and watched as the driver made no correction and drifted off the road before hitting a guard rail. And the guard rail was "not designed to re-direct a heavy vehicle such as a motor coach," investigators said.
Investigators also ran simulations that showed seat belts, which were not available to the passengers, could've saved lives and prevented injuries.
The NTSB also released an animation showing the bus careening along the guard rail before crashing into a sign and tipping over the edge.
NTSB investigator Tom Barth said the passengers returning from the casino trip "had planned to gamble, but not with their lives."
We'll link to the report as soon as it's posted.