RNC Coverage: Hour 1

Friday, September 05, 2008

Joe Klein, political columnist for Time Magazine and author of Politics Lost: From RFK to W: How Politicians Have Become Less Courageous and More Interested in Keeping Power than in Doing What's Right for America and Robert George, New York Post editorial writer and blogger at Ragged Thots, react to John McCain's Speech.

Then
Brooke Gladstone, host of WNYC's On The Media, talks about watching the conventions on TV.

Robert George, Brooke Gladstone and Joe Klein

Evelyn from Berkeley, CA

Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for your great convention coverage! I moved out to California three weeks ago, but I've been keeping up with politics by listening to your show on podcast.

I loved the interviews with delegates from all over the country, including a Republican woman from the Bay Area! That was really interesting. I also liked the micro-expressions expert and the celebrity comedian drop-by commentary. The speech clips you played really did help me distill all the excessive information from the past two weeks.

I must say, I'm a big fan of the "Hour 1/Hour 2" format, as opposed to the segment by segment posting. It makes it easier to listen to the whole show. I wouldn't even mind if you put more ads in the podcast, as long as it just keeps going.

Sep. 07 2008 02:50 PM
Brian from Red Bank

Listening to you and Brooke talk about Gov. Palin and what was fair game to go after in her family life I realized that the most fair question is, "Why do you think that way?"

It may not be civill to attack her seemingly contradictory family life and public policy, but it's completely fair to ask, "Since we all share the goal of reducing unwanted pregnancies, why do you favor abstinence-only education in the face of all the evidence that it doesn't work?"

It comes at the issue from the side and it's not only fair but civil.

Sep. 05 2008 07:01 PM
A from Houston, TX

The speech was good and inspiring. It was powerful and I think it will move republicans, even young ones. As a democrat, I know why. Mc Cain co-opted most of the themes that Barack made central to his campaign, change, love of country and nation. He even included "promise". Mc Cain maybe a maverick, but this speech convinces me he is more trendy than a trendsetter. This and the choice of Palin really worry me. That choice was all calculation and no rational. I find him so slippery I'm not sure what to think.

Sep. 05 2008 06:22 PM
mc from Brooklyn

David!
Great question. I never thought abut that. How did he get that close?

That said, I could not care less.

Back to issues......

Sep. 05 2008 04:00 PM
mc from Brooklyn

Omar #138:

You are right about these boards. I meant venom directed at Dems in other places not here. I agree, it is not balanced here.

I also agree about the hypocrisy. I'm tired of the platitudes and chatter about "style, change, biography, pit bulls," etc. etc. All a big game in politics.

Here are some more: How do you invest in health care, infrastructure, new jobs, pay down the debt and cut taxes by $1000 to 95% of families?

Sep. 05 2008 03:59 PM
Les from Brooklyn

PLEASE HELP ME!! I'm getting whiplash listening to political coverage (even on your show) that goes from discussion of the candidates' policy positions to reviews of their respective performances before an audience. You have to start to differentiate between the superficial (eg. Palin's style as a speaker, Obama's elite-ness) and those things that are germane to the decisions these people will make on our behalf. The absolute best service any media could provide is to fact-check everything the candidates say. The degree to which they are honest (both factually and intellectually) will provide us all the information we need about their character.

Sep. 05 2008 03:35 PM
David! from NYC

Preface: In terms of the election, this is a non-issue.

I'm really curious about one element of Palin's daughter's pregnancy. When/how did she and her boyfriend find the privacy, and what kind of chutzpah does he have?

When I was a sophomore in h.s., many years ago, I was selected from my school to attend a state-wide gathering. The governor of NC at the time was Jim Hunt, and his daughter was selected from her school. There were always a couple of state cops nearby. I know it's a different state and different time, but wouldn't you think...

I am reminded of that Bob Newhart / Gilda Radner comedy, "First Family."

Okay, back to real issues...

Sep. 05 2008 03:15 PM
Omar from Bed Sty

mc -- i didn't see anything near the Dem venom on these comment boards directed against Obama after the Dem conventions.

This is particularly damning in light of all Obamaand & the Dem's constantly talking about their high road ---- real hypocricy.

That being said - the issues you raise are important and I hope tosee more discussions about them-- rather than mean-spirited screeds about Mccains age,teeth and wife.

Sep. 05 2008 03:08 PM
mc from Brooklyn

Omar #138:

I agree, stupid smears coming from both sides. Here are some issues: How do you balance the budget by only cutting earmarks? Which earmarks shall be cut? What do we do about a 6% unemployment rate and the loss of 84,000 jobs in August? How do we pay down a $9.5 trillion debt?

I agree about the screaming about the tone of the convention. Put yourselves in the other guys' shoes and the other convention inspires the same venom. Issues please.

Sep. 05 2008 03:00 PM
Omar from Bed Sty

Most of the comments here are nasty anti-Republican smears....

Now I know McCain will win in 08....

Dems will lose (sorely) again in 08 because they're sleaze machine is worse than the Repubs, they practice the politics of personal destruction liberally and their phony self-righteous hypocricy is losing steam.

If you don't believe me read all the snarky comments again here --- attacking Mccains age and Palin's looks etc...

and the bizzarre ones attacking Brian and Brooke.

Stick with the issues -please!

Sep. 05 2008 02:53 PM
mc from Brooklyn

jawbone:
You speak my mind, re: reporting. I am your fan. :-)

Sep. 05 2008 02:38 PM
Carolyn Holmes from NYC

As an art therapist I was struck by the depressed character of the logo used by the RNC convention: The elephant looks as though it has been knocked out (bowed posture, star eye as in old cartoons) and fell on the flag. Is that how they really see themselves, down and out?

Sep. 05 2008 02:07 PM
Patricia from Brooklyn

1. Drill, Baby, Drill
I found this chant frankly alarming.

Does this show the width of the gap between my worldview and that of the mainstream Republican party? Won't this kind of slogan alienate moderate and independent voters? I'd like to hear more about this issue.

2. I saw on CNN, during the McCain speech, several shots of protesters in the hall--it seemed to distract McCain, and throw everyone off script for brief moments-- Is this the normal amount of protest activity or was that unusual?

Sep. 05 2008 02:03 PM
xheight from brooklyn

I hate be one to cite media bias but going back into the archive to catch-up on the DNC friday wrap to hear from Brooke Gladstone and the Annenberg Center FactCheck.org - Brooke had media gossip and zip on the 'facts' floating out of the DNC unchecked.

Dropped the ball on that one? or worse?

Sep. 05 2008 12:32 PM
nycgirl from manhattan

Wouldn't it be great if we could have McCain and Obama running together. Just think of it - Republicans and Dems working together. What a novel idea. Forget about parties - it's ridiculous already. (Don't know how to feel about this Alaskan babe - scary.)

Sep. 05 2008 12:24 PM
Talavera

McCain says he will lower taxes…??
Why doesn’t this man be more specific..??
It seems like he gets lost while he is reading his own speech…
We need someone sharp at the HELM running this country with the fresh ideas Mr. Obama brings to the table…
Let not forget if Barack Obama was the Prez this country would not be in Iraq RIGHT NOW fighting this unnecessary war!!!!! 12 Dollars Billion a Month )
Oh!!! the Surge Worked…??
WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT..??
THE WAR WAS WRONG FROM THE VERY BEGINNING!!!!!!!!
If Something Was Wrong From The Start You Cannot Make It Right!!!!

*** WE NEED GOOD SOUND JUDGMENT ***
OBAMA - 2008

Sep. 05 2008 11:49 AM
jawbone from Parsippany, NJ

Just a test: earlier comments have not posted.

"We should all be proud of Governor Sarah Palin’s historic nomination, and I congratulate her and Senator McCain. While their policies would take America in the wrong direction, Governor Palin will add an important new voice to the debate.”

This morning Joe Klein bemoaned the lack of issues discussion and proposals in McCain's speech. Yet, when he had months and months to discuss such things, he was just as vague. What lots of pundits love is to talk around issues, then go for the personal.

Sigh. Heavy, heavy sigh. Bcz it seem Brooke coulnd't see that happening in MCM-land. Oh, dear.

*MCM--Mainstream Corporate Media

Sep. 05 2008 11:36 AM
Talavera

Aides to Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin improperly obtained her former brother-in-law’s state police personnel files and cited information from those records to raise complaints about the officer, the head of Alaska’s state police union said Thursday.
“It’s apparent to us that the governor or someone on her staff had direct access to his personnel file, as well as his workers’ comp file, and those are protected,” said John Cyr, executive director of the Alaska Public Safety Employees Association!!!!!!!!!!!!
* * * On Another Note * * *
What A JOKE!!!!!!!!!
She can’t keep tabs on her 17 year old daughter & you think this person should be 2nd in command..??
Are You Crazy???????

Sep. 05 2008 11:34 AM
Talavera

Unemplyoment rate jumps to 6.1%
What a job you Replublicans are doing..? Huh..?
Mr. Bush - Thanks But No Thanks!!!!!
8 Years are enough Mr. McCain!!!!!!!!!!!
We need true CHANGE!!!!!!
OBAMA - 2008

Sep. 05 2008 11:31 AM
BORED

How is low taxes for the rich a religous belief.

Sep. 05 2008 11:30 AM
Talavera

I WAS NOT IMPRESSED with Senator McCains performance last night…
He is completely out of touch with the 95% of us average Americans in need of a governmental change!!!!! That is exactly what Obama will bring to the White House!!!
We do not need an “Out Of Touch War Hero” in the White House…
NOTE : There were exactly (169 lobbyist ) sitting down in the front rows of that fake bring about change RNC… What a joke!!!!!! Check the facts!!!!!!!! That’s not change!!!!
We need someone with fresh ideas, in touch with what is going on here & aboard Someone with GOOD judgment…
Barack Obama – 2008
We Will Be Heard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep. 05 2008 11:29 AM
nicolaas from minneapolis

McCain's speech was unimpressive and painfully unsubstantial, aside from pointing out his fiscal discipline (which I thought was a prerequisite for being a republican); Palin's speech was, in addition to being unsubstantial, offensive.

Sep. 05 2008 11:28 AM
Yes I Am from Manhattan

If Obama can't handle an interview with O'Reilly, how will he stand up to leaders like Putin?

From the clips of the interview I saw, it was fair and he did quite well.

Sep. 05 2008 11:23 AM
jawbone from Parsippany, NJ

BTW, Brooke, the 62% cut for one home for unwed mothers, run as a Catholic charity, was because in the preceding years (I believe it was 3), the charity had been given a much increased alotment to help it build a new facility. In the year Palin is being gigged for, she cut it somewhat, but not to what it had been receiving prior to its expansion.

Now, that could be addressed--but what's being said is that Palin is hypocritical for being against abortion but then cutting funds to a home for women who need help to carry an unplanned pregnancy to term. If one looks at the actual facts, that is not what happened with tht gubernatorial action.

Please, MCMers, be as honest as you claim to want Palin to be!

And, when this being done against Dem pols, I decried it. That it's being done against a Repub now, it's still not good journalism.

All I want, dear MCMers, is fact-based, reality-based reporting of knowable facts. If the sourcing is thin, note that in your reports, please. But, give us knowable, discernable fact-based reporting.

When there's opinion and "analysis," please cleasrly note that.

Now, to find that article....

Sep. 05 2008 11:18 AM
jawbone from Parsippany, NJ

Hillary Clinton issued this statement on Gov. Palin's selection by McCain on the day it was announced. Too bad the MCM* didn't take the approach of reporting on her political issues and decisions. Or any pols'.

Clinton noted the situation; then immediately noted the differences in political actions both Palin and McCain would take. That's what's important to the nation's well-being.

This morning Joe Klein bemoaned the lack of issues discussion and proposals in McCain's speech. Yet, when Klein had months and months to discuss such things, he was just as vague. What lots of pundits love is to talk around issues, then go for the personal.

*MCM--Mainstream Corporate Media

Sep. 05 2008 11:17 AM
the truth from Atlanta/New York

Senator Obama wont' be different, No one stands a chance with O'Reilly, he is rude, often wrong and he talks over people and cuts them off mid sentence, all the time. If you don't agree with him and sometimes when you do, he will not let you have the last word.

No one comes out of it looking good and most are misquoted, he is like the rest, a pompous ass.

Sep. 05 2008 11:08 AM
diana from Manhattan

Wasn't John McCain one of the Keating Five?

Didn't he dump his first wife when she became disabled?

Am I misremembering?

Sep. 05 2008 11:04 AM
the truth from Atlanta/New York

Darn I missed the removed comments!

Sep. 05 2008 10:59 AM
Chris from Manhattan

The indiscriminate arrest of regular people merely for dissenting or protesting is ALSO a violation of the law, despite the evident view of Gladstone and Lehrer that the press uniquely enjoy a right to assemble and speak.

Here the text of 1st Amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the _PEOPLE_ peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Sep. 05 2008 10:59 AM
carolyn

A note about Cindy McCain's intro. Speaking long and thoroughly about being a mother, what it means to her, she never once mentioned her own mother, only her closeness to Daddy.
And, introducing her children, mentioned specificly about her sons and her adopted daughter, but passed over her daughter. What does that mean, if anything? Am I--mother and grandmother--the only one who noticed?

Sep. 05 2008 10:58 AM
Tom Sheckler from Park Slope

Targeting / Arrest of journalists should not be surprising any more. Remember the targeting of the Palestine Hotel in Baghdad (where journalists were located), even after its coordinates were made known to the Pentagon?

Sep. 05 2008 10:58 AM
chris o from new york city

Re: the police state we are becoming. The US is no longer the land of the free and the home of the brave. You see it in how police dal with protesters. The 1st Amendment is dead. When I see other countries and their demonstrations, the police are much more relaxed, they give the demonstrators a lot of leeway. I mean, in many cases they seem to give them TOO much leeway but more power to them. Because they are not so paranoid, not so fearful, not such police states...

Sep. 05 2008 10:57 AM
Lance from Manhattan

RE: McCain on the vote against making Martin Luther King's birthday a national holiday

McCain has apologized for his vote against MLK day. His explanation as to why he had been against MLK:
"I had not really been involved in the issue. I just had not had a lot of experience with the issue. That's all.... I came from the military where we are the greatest equal opportunity employer in the nation and still are. And I just had not been involved in the issue."

Sep. 05 2008 10:57 AM
BL Producer from WNYC

We've already removed a few comments. Please keep in mind WNYC's comment posting guidelines, and keep the conversation civil and on topic. Thank you.

Sep. 05 2008 10:56 AM
SuzanneNYC from Upper West Side

OY! How naive can you get?? The McCain campaign must have been delighted that the media was diverted by the "drama" of the daughter's out of wedlock preganancy -- so they never got around to actually investigating Sarah Palin's extremist views on just about everything. Wny else would McCain's people have leaked it to the media enablers who behaved predictably.

Sep. 05 2008 10:56 AM
evan from NYC

the media has inflated the democratic candidate and denigrated the republican candidate, leaving the american voter with a skewed choice. There is no bad news about Obama, according to MSNBC and virtually all columnists; it is as if the media collectively drank from the Kool-Aid trough.

Sep. 05 2008 10:53 AM
Jim Pharo from NYC

Does Brook Gladstone think a Democratic VP candidate's daughters' unplanned unwed teen pregnancy would be met with sympathy?

Brook is a stellar example of someone who suspends her critical thinking skills and laps up big giant helpings of conventional wisdom is dished up by the GOP.

She thinks the Daily Show is THE bs-called. What about the actual, non-fake media? Any role in this department? Hmmm, Ms. Gladstone?

Sep. 05 2008 10:53 AM
Sherry from Jersey City

The Republicans were all about community service, unless you're a community organizer!! who appear to be republican enemy #1. Gotta hate those do-gooders.

Sep. 05 2008 10:52 AM
LJo from Westchester

To Brian,

I can't believe how so many of the media let their personal liking for John McCain blind them to the impact that this ticket will have on the women of this country and the very security of all Americans.

I am angry, very angry at the republicans. Not all republicans, just the ones who have destroyed the best of this country. John McCain was on the TV pretending that he is not responsible for the mess we are in today.

The republican party platform and 3 ultra-conservative supreme court appointments if McCain succeeds scare me. But what is angering me right now is that the republicans think it is fine, just fine, to put this old man McCain in charge of our lives and wellbeing, and have Sarah Palin waiting to take over if he can't serve out his term. (Or worse, Dick Chaney to come in to "help" her because she's not "that" experienced.) The choice of Sarah Palin the candidate by John McCain the candidate in order to achieve his presidential ambition is an insult to American women.

And let me ask you, if McCain cannot stand up to the radical religious right, how can he stand up to Al Qaeda?

Sep. 05 2008 10:52 AM
hjs from 11211

cheney's daughter is gay
palin's daughter is pregnant
GOP hypocrisy rules

Sep. 05 2008 10:52 AM
norman from nyc

Brooke, it's all your fault.

We should be educating people to understand how news reporting is supposed to work: trying to get all sides of the issue and be fair to all sides.

You've got a program to educate people about the media. You're not doing a good enough job.

Sep. 05 2008 10:52 AM
gene from Staten Island

I would like to ask Rudi to compare his experience as mayor to Sarah's. Which experience prepares the person for higher office. (bigger responsibilities)

Sep. 05 2008 10:51 AM
Chris from Manhattan

WNYC, NPR and many others have done a 'very good' job of giving McCain a pass on his record.

No mention of his neck-deep involvement in the Savings and Loan scandal. No mention of his repeated statements opposing torture versus his repeated votes supporting torture. No mention of his hypocritical stance on the environment.

Sep. 05 2008 10:50 AM
Pam from Wstr.

[3] Pam from Wstr.
September 05, 2008 - 10:23AM
Guiliani's speech made me more than sad: it made me feel sick. I hadn't paid him enough attention, I guess, to understand why some have said that he has fascist traits; but, his derision of "cosmopolitans" and his firing-up of the religious against those who think about them (notwithstanding the fact the Obama claims to be religious) employed exactly the words that the Nazis used. Appalling.

[4] Pam from Wstr.
September 05, 2008 - 10:47AM
Brian--I'm glad that you just brought-up the issue of comment #3, immediately above this paragraph. Guiliani's words were not "ridiculous": they are irresponsible--nay, evil--and dangerous. He's shamed himself and, by extension, the New Yorkers whose feelings he purports to represent.

Sep. 05 2008 10:50 AM
Vernon Jones from Brooklyn

McCain's speech inspired me greatly! So much so, that I donated for the first time to a political campaign last night. I made a donation to Obama's campaign and will continue to donate throughout the remainder of the campaign.

Why would anyone expect a C- student to give an A speech? It's mind boggling.

Fight? The fight is against Bush, Cheney and McCain.

I'm packing my bags just in case he wins. I'll leave this country because we will all starve to death....

Sep. 05 2008 10:50 AM
wladimir from nyc

not a bad show -- but at the end, when they were talking about Rudy's charge that Obama has contempt for small-town America and its religious beliefs, our boy Brian forgot to point out the obvious:

it's an outright lie, and everyone knows it.

And then he could have said another truth: Of course, the Republicans have been campaigning on lies for as long as we can remember.

Sep. 05 2008 10:49 AM
Catherine Manning Flamenbaum from Babylon, NY

Could McCain... possibly miss the irony of promoting the community colleges as a route back to the post World War II era of economic growth and opportunities?
An increasing proportion of today’s “workers” find themselves unskilled for the post-industrial economy, relegated to second tier college education; unemployed and under-employed; insecurely or poorly housed; without recourse to health care, pension and retirement savings.
"Grade 13" is not equipped to compensate for the the loss of skilled industrial and manufacturing jobs.

Sep. 05 2008 10:49 AM
Nancy Dwyer Chapman from Scarsdale, NY

Has anyone considered and commented the quite startling "Holy Roller" couple of speeches that were given before Mrs. McCain's speech and Senator McCain's address last night?

Frankly, I was rather horrified at the revival tent tone that stressed God over the actions of government. What was the message the GOP was trying to send? That God and Jesus are leading the US? Or that if one does not embrace either or both deity, one is not fit for public service and elective office? For persons who may have beliefs that are not evangelical, which was the unquestionable thread of those speeches, these were exclusionary remarks.

I would imagine that observers outside the US were either perplexed or amused by these perfervid declarations of faith; how did they constitute Party Platform planks? And if they did, YIKES.

I know that separation of Church and State has been honored in the breech in past eight years, but these introductory speeches augur an intention to continue that very questionable and non-inclusive trend.

We're voting in November on the legislative and executive branches, not the church, synagogue, temple or meditation spot of a candidate's choice. The revival tent has its place for some folks, but I submit it does not belong in an election campaign.

Sep. 05 2008 10:49 AM
SuzanneNYC from Upper West Side

Name one instance -- just one -- when the pundits set up a politician's speech as the "be all and end all," a must "hit out of the park or else," a "defining" moment -- and then evaluated it afterwards as falling short. Starting with W Bush. Every time the media set up a situation for failure -- they ended up praising the miracle of success. Even when the bar was a millimeter off the floor. It's this false set up and equally false evaluation that has created this looking glass world of political discourse.

Sep. 05 2008 10:49 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

We blame the media cause the MSM doesn't do an honest job...

Sep. 05 2008 10:48 AM
Steve (the other one) from Manhattan

Brian - please ask Brooke what she thinks of the McCain campaign's decision to hide the hockey mom:

According to Nicole Wallace of the McCain campaign, the American people don’t care whether Sarah Palin can answer specific questions about foreign and domestic policy. According to Wallace — in an appearance I did with her this morning on Joe Scarborough’s show — the American people will learn all they need to know (and all they deserve to know) from Palin’s scripted speeches and choreographed appearances on the campaign trail and in campaign ads.

Source: http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/09/05/clock-is-ticking-as-mccain-campaign-hides-palin-from-the-press/

Sep. 05 2008 10:48 AM
harmon michaels from jersey city, nj

bob #70: try reading "what went wrong in ohio" or any of the numerous reports about election fraud that greg palast has written.
as for brooke gladstone, am i the only person who just finds her irritating? she compared obama to those muslims who declared jihad on cartoonists after he (obama) complained about that disgusting new yorker cover. this was an editorial she delivered for "on the media" in july on the 17th, i think. how seriously can you take someone who'd make such an asinine point? was she suspended for it? she was off the show for at least 2 weeks after it happened, though it was never mentioned again and the editorial itself was NOT on the rebroadcast of the show.

Sep. 05 2008 10:44 AM
Yes I Am from Manhattan

#85 Kate:

It was his acceptance speech at the national convention...

I'm sorry you're tired of hearing about it.

Maybe you should change the channel back to the Hills or American Idol.

Oh wait, American Idol was broadacasting all last week from Denver...

Sep. 05 2008 10:44 AM
BORED

Its funny/sad (more sad then funny) that 9/11 was a major symbol at the Republican convention but there was no mention of the collapsed bridge that happened in that area. This says a lot about the republican party and what they think is important.

Sep. 05 2008 10:44 AM
David G. Herrmann from Manhattan

Let McCain name names!

To which pork-barrel, old-style, corrupt Washington politicians is he referring? Precisely WHO puts self-interest ahead of country? Obama? Biden? The Democrats in Congress only? All of Congress except for him? Any other members of the Washington establishment

McCain says he "can't wait" to introduce" Palin to Washington: So why DOES he wait?

Sep. 05 2008 10:44 AM
Chris from ny

I was offended by all the talk about thanking god everyday. Whose god? It excludes everyone in this country and in the world who might believe differently.

I am extremely turned off by all the talk about how proud they are of America every day. Maybe in this time of potential change they should mention what they are not proud of in America.

I also am very surprised and disappointed that you are not discussing the police abuse and invalid arrests that happened at the convention.

Sep. 05 2008 10:42 AM
J.C. from Minneapolis

Re: Comment #50

I doesn't matter if the protester was an Iraq war vet. You can't interrupt a speech like that (i.e. free speech doesn't permit the "heckler's veto"). Find another venue to voice your protest and then you will be owed the same respect (i.e. the Republicans would be out of line for interrupting you).

Yes, I bet I'd agree with what the protester was saying, but Free Speech 101 says that you also let your opponents speak.

Sep. 05 2008 10:41 AM
J.C. from Minneapolis

Re: Comment #50

It doesn't matter if the protester was an Iraq war vet. You can't interrupt a speech like that (i.e. free speech doesn't permit the "heckler's veto"). Find another venue to voice your protest and then you will be owed the same respect (i.e. the Republicans would be out of line for interrupting you).

Sep. 05 2008 10:41 AM
Turbo from Brooklyn

See, "Yes I am", Obama's ability to accept when the other side gets things right is exactly what makes him a better candidate.

And nice use of his middle name. Keep taking the cheap shots.

Sep. 05 2008 10:41 AM
barry from Manhattan

McCain will win:
Why?

Well, f you believe the last 2 elections were stolen it seems inevitable.

Because nothing has changed.

Still a "conservative" court

No sanctions against Diabold and their voting machines.
They will do it again.

Sep. 05 2008 10:41 AM
seth from Long Island

Great point by Joe Klein on the laughable, godawful vetting job done regarding Sarah Palin.

McCain's campaign performed a drive-thru window vetting of Palin.

Delivery drivers for Domino's Pizza receive a more thorough vetting than Sarah Palin.

Sep. 05 2008 10:40 AM
kate from fort greene

I am so tired of McCain's POW story. I know that we are going to have to listen for the next few months...Robert DeNiro doesn't have to walk around and say that he is a good actor....a true hero doesnt have to keep remind telling us that he is a hero.
they exploit his POW story just like they sadly exploited 9/11 last night with the "tribute video".(would we have expected less though) if he is now about change, why did they snow this horrible video to stir up more fear?

Sep. 05 2008 10:40 AM
sharon Haskell from new york

the convention theme was service, military....
john maccains life has been the military.......which
was stressed non stop......much
talk about terrorists and fighting. Fear mongering and rallying the troops for battle. That's how it sounded to me! The world war 3 ticket!

Sep. 05 2008 10:39 AM
chris o from new york city

It was just: country, country, country. McCain loves his country. Mom and apple pie. Wow, he is really a maverick, what a bold position.

What is means is: I am a real patriotic American. The other guy is not. That is the whole campaign and every thing McCain does will be to drive that message.

Sep. 05 2008 10:39 AM
Repub101 from Manhattan

"character, sincerity, as well as demonstrated, long term service/experience."

Couldn't agree more. I think these aspects move me more than great oratory.

Sep. 05 2008 10:38 AM
barry from Manhattan

"Obama gives it up" better late than never

Sep. 05 2008 10:38 AM
David from Queens

Who would have thought John McCain was the green candidate?! (too bad it's sickly green reflected green from the backdrop). Does it seem that Palin keeps an unnatural distance from him on-stage? maybe she doesn't want to be green as well?

Sep. 05 2008 10:37 AM
Gaines Hubbell from Knoxville, TN

No. McCain doesn't smirk. He just looks really, Really proud of himself when he reads a good one-liner ad hominem attack that someone else wrote for him to read... What speech was Brian watching (While talking to his producers with the mic on. I had the same thought Leonardo A.)?

Sep. 05 2008 10:37 AM
Yes I Am from Manhattan

Oh boy. Obama's O'Reilly interview broadcasts next week.

Speaking on the President Bush's troop surge:

Barack Hussein Obama: “I’ve already said it’s succeeded beyond our wildest dreams.”

Now THAT's change we can believe in.

Sep. 05 2008 10:36 AM
barry from Manhattan

If you believe the last 2 elections were stolen.
Then you have to believe McCain will win.
Why?
Because nothing has changed.
Still a "conservative" court
No sanctions against Diabold and their voting machines.

Sep. 05 2008 10:36 AM
chris o from new york city

"You will know their names," McCain says. One of their names is Sarah Palin, who hired a lobbyist for Wasila to extract pork barrel projects from Washington. For 60K a year, she got millions of taxpayer dollars.

Sep. 05 2008 10:35 AM
Jeff from NJ

Best speech of the last two weeks. I'm an independent who was wavering between Obama and McCain. McCain won my vote last night. Deciding factors were character, sincerity, as well as demonstrated, long term service/experience. For all his flaws, McCain is his own man and that came through loud and clear last night.

Sep. 05 2008 10:35 AM
zen from ny

McCains speech was better , not spcificly for content but for the bullet points or slogans it will leave in peoples heads. American elections are not won by informed voters , they are won by ignorant masses with one or two bullet points in their mind. Republicans will win the undecided vote with simple little slogans whether they are true or not. Never underestimate the ignorance of the masses.

Sep. 05 2008 10:35 AM
chris o from new york city

I thought it was a relatively weak speech. The pundits on PBS were calling it "great" (except Mark Shields who pointed out that McCain is not comfortable talking about his self and he gave a "great" speech for Bob Dole at the '96 Conventino). How on earth can that be called a "great" speech?!

There are a couple of problems in focusing on "maverick", even though he has been one for much of his career. Philosophically, this is all about the individual. But it really does take party, community, broad movements to really accomplish things and not a freewheeling maverick. But more obviously, for the last couple of years he has towed the party line, cozied up to the right-wing religious crowd and the lobbyists. So he has sold his soul to gain this nomination, something a real maverick would never do.

Sep. 05 2008 10:34 AM
harmon michaels from jersey city, nj

mccain delivered his speech reasonably well. but letting everyone know that you're a "maverick" and a former POW is weak. other people should bring those things up. and since it's likely the mccain people had their hands in the giuliani and palin speeches and made sure those points were stressed it looks especially lame. how it is that mccain gets away with this game of insisting that his POW experience is something he would never trade on and at the same time CONSTANTLY bringing it up himself is bizarre. he really can't seem to open his mouth for more than a minute without dragging it out. yeesh.

Sep. 05 2008 10:34 AM
Repub101 from Manhattan

I give it about a B. It wasn't terrible, and was actually moving at many points. Not enough policy, true. But I don't really love conventions on the whole. They always end up turning slightly cultish. For example, people kept breaking out into inexplicable chants of "USA USA USA." I think at one point McCain mentioned the economic downturn, saying something like 'I know you are struggling to pay the bills' and suddenly there was an outbreak of "USA USA USA!" Strange. In any case, I liked his down-to-earth way of connecting with us.

Sep. 05 2008 10:33 AM
bob from huntington

of course, all of the preceding two weeks discussions, the conventions, the primaries, etc. are moot if we still have a flawed election process that does not accurately tabulate
the will of the people--or, worse, can be subverted. (florida 2000 anyone?)

please take time to examine this issue in the few remaining weeks of this endless campaign. a lot of people want to know: will their votes count?!!

Sep. 05 2008 10:33 AM
Scott Smith from Manhattan

As for the Democrats be united on matters of substance, as one of your guests put it the doves weren't banging the hawks over the head, one reason might be that the hawks have rolled over. On Iraq, with very few exceptions, the Democrats have all taken the position that the only interest we have remaining there is getting our troops home. With the "hawks" endorsing the doves' position, no wonder the doves are fine with them now.

Sep. 05 2008 10:32 AM
Jeff from Brooklyn

On a more trivial note it was shocking to see all the little things went wrong last few nights? The video was out of sync, Guliani upstaging the Palin video, the mic wasn't turned up over the crowd, that custom song (as you noted) was just awful. Cindi taking 20 minutes of primetime right before that speech? The WALTER REED photo (WOW!) It all felt disheveled and disorganized. Like a Democratic convention (drop the &%@#! balloons).

Sep. 05 2008 10:31 AM
Sophie

P.S: That green background was the Walter Reed Middle School in Hollywood (not one of his 7 mansions). I think the idea was to put up the Walter Reed Medical facility but someone in graphics - not too well versed in common sense - put up the School picture instead. Priceless.

Sep. 05 2008 10:31 AM
Steve (the other one) from Manhattan

Brian - please call your guests on saying McCain departed from Bush on Iraq - it's just a Republican talking point:

“I think that Blix’s report will be fairly definitive. But Mr. Blix has made a lot of reports over the years, and I think the judgment made by the United States of America will — and the president of the United States — will prevail here.” [NBC, 2/12/03]

“I believe as strongly today as ever, the mission [in Iraq] was necessary, achievable and noble. For his determination to undertake it, and for his unflagging resolve to see it through to a just end, President Bush deserves not only our support, but our admiration.” [GOP Convention, 8/30/04]

“The fact is that I have agreed with President Bush far more than I have disagreed. And on the transcendent issues, the most important issues of our day, I’ve been totally in agreement and support of President Bush.” [Meet the Press, 6/19/05]

MR. GREGORY: Do you, do you have confidence in the president and his national security team to lead the war at this stage?
SEN. McCAIN: I do. I do. I have confidence in the president and I believe that he is well aware of the severity of the situation. [Meet the Press, 8/20/06]

“I’m sticking with the president in this respect [on Iraq]. This is our last chance. The consequences of failure are catastrophic.” [CNN, 2/13/07]

“I am proud of this president’s strategy in Iraq.” [Receiving Bush’s endorsement, 2/13/08]

Sep. 05 2008 10:31 AM
Voter from Brooklyn

I understand what you're getting at with your reply to my comment Leonardo, but I found the end of Senator McCain's speech particularly troubling. Be nationalistic, fear-monger while talking about the peace to come, and end the speech with a call to arms (so to speak).

Sep. 05 2008 10:30 AM
Steve Mark from NYC

A draw. Each spoke to and galvanized their bases which is what these speeches are about. Each of the other sides' pundits were nearly identical in their criticism of the other canddates' speeches.

Sep. 05 2008 10:30 AM
Yes I Am from Manhattan

The 'protesting' was grossly disrespectful.

It reminded me of my two year old nephew's antics at thanksgiving when he felt he wasn't getting enough attention.

Sep. 05 2008 10:30 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

BORED:
This may have been the anti-war Iraqi war vet "protestor" there.
Has some great things to say from his point of view as someone who has been there.

Sep. 05 2008 10:30 AM
Joy from Washington Heights

I wish someone in the media would say the obvious: McCain's speech was very long on events that happened 40 years ago and very short on any new ideas for digging the US out of the financial and image hole eight years of Bush rule has wrought. Bottom line, it's the same failed mantra of lower taxes, vouchers, spending cuts and smaller government with no mention of health care, technology or global warming.

Why should I trust McCain to change DC when he's been an insider for 20+ years [Has everyone forgotten about the Keating Five?] If he's basing his candidacy on his character, it's time to take the gloves off. We need to know more about where McCain will take the country and how his policies are different from Bush's.

Sep. 05 2008 10:29 AM
seth from Long Island

The Republican convention, taken as a whole, was a travesty, a fraud, and an insult to logic, reason, and common sense.

Repub talking points I picked up included
McCain should be president because he was tortured
Community organizing is a joke
Republicans love their country, Democrats don't
We should aspire to be everyday Joes. Doing anything to eduacte yourself or gain expertise is bad and makes you untrustworthy

The rollout of Sarah Palin was the most Extreme Makeover of all-time
Palin is a close-minded religious zealot. Thru the magic of Repub propaganda she was transformed to a rooting tootin, gum snaping, smalltown tomboy, and Jane sixpack.
Don't fall for Sarah Palin. She's a creationist, Global Warming denier, antiabortionist, and censorship advocate.

Sep. 05 2008 10:29 AM
joyous from Earth

Conventions are pageantry, not policy.

The Executive branch is the PR wing of the Oiligarchy.

"Change"...heh...Whatever it takes to win.

Sep. 05 2008 10:29 AM
Arthur Aptowitz from Forest Hills-Key Food-Queens Blvd and 108th Street

It's no surprise that McCain uses "fight" so often. Most of us have our world view shaped by our earlier experiences. For me it was "the bomb," the Cuban Invasion and VietNam. For McCain\ it seems exclusively to be his imprisonment, torture, and belief that America "lost" the VietNam War because it refused to "fight." He firmly belives not only that VuetNam could have been "won" but that America cannot afford to "lose" again. Thus Iraq must be fought to the end, whatever that is!

Sep. 05 2008 10:28 AM
A.H. from The Bronx

Although, McCain's speech was generally ok, I still feel as though nothing was truly addressed; no game plan just talk.

Sep. 05 2008 10:28 AM
barry from Manhattan

Em your right.
If thousands of US citizens can be "Truthers" then for sure the swing voters can be "swung"

As pointed out on South Park, "1/4 of americans are retards"

Sep. 05 2008 10:28 AM
Sophie

That speech was mediocre at best. It moved all over the place, had no arc, and no life. A complete snooze fest in my books. Half way through McCain launched into his POW experience which I thought was the most compelling part of the speech but it was sandwiched between something and something else. There was nothing about policy in there except for some standard lines which I could have come up with after months of following the election. It sounded a lot like Bush's last State of the Union - brush over everything, mention somethings, with no details.
And what was with that green background???!

Sep. 05 2008 10:27 AM
SuzanneNYC from Upper West Side

I thought McCain's speech was extremely weird. It made no sense -- either for his party of the nation at large. It was an exhortation to something -- but what and why? It was long on generalities and short on specifics -- in fact there were no specific policies. He set up straw man after straw man and then shot them down -- but thing was based in reality. True, he did feed them some obvious red meat here and there. But mostly he presented himself and the party as insurgents and outside reformers. Huh?? Even hearing the clips playing on various programs this morning it seemed completely out of touch. And what was the fight, fight, fight at the end? It was totally bizarre.

Sep. 05 2008 10:26 AM
Diane from White Plains, NY

John McCain's speech, while short on specific policies, will appeal to precisely the people I fear most: conservative, Republicans with a commitment to social conservatism. His town hall style contrasted with Obama's "celebrity" Greek columns which looked gaudy when compared with the simplicity of the McCain backdrop of a blue background with an American flag.

Frankly, between the VP choice and the down-to-earth but empty speech of last night, McCain has me scared and getting ready to pack my bags for Canada.

Sep. 05 2008 10:26 AM
Turbo from Brooklyn

@BORED - I don't think it's just the right wing that would want to "Bump off" McCain and install Palin as President. Any enemy of the US would probably want to do the same. Imagine the global chaos that would ensue with the Gov of Alaska running the country? A person who has had a NRA license for 20 years and a passport for 20 months.

Sep. 05 2008 10:26 AM
BORED

@ J.C. since when does protest infringe on free speech Also one of the hecklers was an Iraq war vet. With the republicans talking about country first a fair question to ask is what about the troops?

Sep. 05 2008 10:25 AM
Catherine Manning Flamenbaum from Babylon, NY

This election was supposed to be above partisan politics and about real issues Instead of critical analysis, (never mind solutions) Palin serves up a reheated dish of the same old right wing fantasy: An imagined past in which real Americans were guided by Christian values rather than constitutional rights, unquestioning of calls to war yet free thinking, practical and hardworking rather than intellectual, and above all, the antithesis of "east coast, liberal, urban culture". Ridiculous!
"McCain's, maverick version of the "real American" says simply "trust me," on the basis of character.
Are Americans as easily manipulated as such rhetoric presumes, or come Election Day will their votes reflect intelligent analysis of real issues and best interest?

Sep. 05 2008 10:25 AM
em from nj

Just a week ago, I thought Obama would win this one easily. Now I'm beginning to think that our electorate is getting ready to fail another IQ test. As Eva @2 points out, don't talk about the ruinous economic issues facing the country. Just keep your head in the sand and pull it out every once in a while to take another swig of the partisan kool-aid.

Sep. 05 2008 10:25 AM
Sylvia from new jersey

Listening to three days of speeches at the Republican Convention, I have come away with several impressions. First and foremost, they would like us to vote from our fears rather than our strengths and vision. Second, the language of violence(albeit couched in sarcasm at times) prevailed; the use of words like "fight", "victory" etc. leaves one with the impression that republicans can't accomplish anything peacefully or through non-violent means. Third, I don't deny the courage and heroism of John McCain but that doesn't mean that he should be president of the US. And lastly, the nomination of Sarah Palin is one of the most manipulative, selfish (country last; McCain first) actions that could have been taken by a man desperate to win. And just as an aside, didn't the republican party nominate a man with executive experience(governor of Texas) eight years ago. I guess that's the measure of ability!

Sep. 05 2008 10:25 AM
barry from Manhattan

The US is not in a "dire situation" any more than Iraq was an "imminent threat"
Please stop repeating that alarmist rhetoric.
Is this our finest moment finically? No
but hardly dire

Sep. 05 2008 10:24 AM
J.C. from Minneapolis (because it's better known, I really live in St. Paul)

I also condemn the Code Pink protesters who interrupted McCain's speech. He has a right to give his speech, so let him do it. Free speech is for everyone, not just Code Pink.

Sep. 05 2008 10:23 AM
JoAnne from Montclair, NJ

Fight fight fight - is that the best way to move out of the dire situation our country is in right now, isn't that what we have been doing for the past 7 years?

Perhaps fighting is part of the DNA of a military man and is the reason he chose a "pit bull in lipstick" instead of a stateswoman or business woman to govern along side him.

I think we need to find a way to get along and reserve "fighting" for last resort.

Sep. 05 2008 10:21 AM
Voter from Brooklyn

@Seth in LI... Funny you should mention a real hero doesn't constantly have to remind people of how heroic they are. Cindi McCain said the same thing in her speech when taking about Senator McCain's father. She said Senator McCain's father didn't feel the need to constantly talk about his service to this nation, he was a true hero, then she threw in a "just like John" comment after.

Sep. 05 2008 10:21 AM
barry from Manhattan

We should be have an activist government for alt.fuels
Why not spend a few billion a year?
In the long run we save 10 fold

Sep. 05 2008 10:21 AM
BORED

I get the feeling that the Right wing will try to "bump off" McCain and install Palin as president.

Sep. 05 2008 10:20 AM
J.C. from Minneapolis (because it's better known, I really live in St. Paul)

Re: Comment #6

1st: I condemn the anarchists, thugs, and hoodlums, who came to St. Paul just to throw rocks at police and generally cause chaos. They all are criminals and rightly belong in jail.

2nd: What really irks me about people like Chris Coleman, the St. Paul mayor, is that they offer nothing but praise for the police without even acknowledging that there were false arrests made. I understand that it takes time to sort out what happened, but I'm getting really tired of politicians not acknowledging the possibility that a handful of police officers go on power trips and arrest people for no reason. This is America, you can peaceably gather in the streets. Period. Arresting people for just being in the vicinity is unacceptable. Having an arrest record is a serious thing (though we all profess to call someone innocent unless they were convicted in court); I resent my tax money being spent for police to arrest anyone in a certain area.

For more, read local columnist Nick Coleman:

Sep. 05 2008 10:20 AM
KC from NYC

Something to discuss: that mansion-esq building behind McCain in the first segment of his speech? I was probably the Walter Reed Middle School in North Hollywood, CA [http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/213806.php]. Since the POW story was central to the week, I guess they thought it was the Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Kind of an important detail to get right, imho.

Sep. 05 2008 10:18 AM
barry from Manhattan

Old jobs are gone, we need to embrace globalization (it is the only game in town.
To some extent Obama and Clinton were running against globalization (re-negotiate NAFTA -absurd), although I think they would never actually do it because it is pointless.
McPalin made the point we need to move forward and get new jobs in "New Energy". Obama made the same point.

Sep. 05 2008 10:18 AM
Leonardo Andres from nj

Does that mean that brian is not really listening to his guest? because it just seems like he is talking to his producer....hmmm interesting.....and a little dissapointing

Sep. 05 2008 10:18 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

good way to listen Brian....turn off the mic when you are pretending to listen to the answers

Sep. 05 2008 10:17 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

bartholomew ryan;
Brian won't talk about anything that has any "radical" edge unless he dismisses it as fringe...the arrests for NOTHING at the DNC and RNC are extremely troubling.

Sep. 05 2008 10:17 AM
acs from bklyn

Hey Brian,

Seemed like McCain was trying to sound like an inspiring community organizer. "We need change! Fight with me and we can get things done!" How can everyone continue to discuss his integrity when he seemed to have signed on to a party platform he doesn't believe in. He's either lying to them or lying to everyone else.

Sep. 05 2008 10:17 AM
Leonardo Andres from nj

The same can be said for Obama little rally last week there "voter from brooklyn"

there is something frightening about this display of party love, on both sides, republican and democratic.

Can independents have a big pow wow, perhaps in an airport lounge?

Sep. 05 2008 10:16 AM
Turbo from Brooklyn

@Leonardo. I just heard it too. I think when Brian thinks he's muted he's not.

Sep. 05 2008 10:16 AM
JoAnne from Montclair, NJ

Fight Fight Fight ! Isn't that what we have been doing for the last 7 years? Can't we all just find a way to get along, work together?

I think the fight anthem is indicative of a warrior - that's how he has lived and learned to address problems. That's why he chose a pit bull with lipstick instead of a stateswoman to "fight" along side him.

Sep. 05 2008 10:16 AM
seth from Long Island

McCain was extremely hypocritical in his speech. He praised Obama in one breath but in another breath repeated the sickening phrase "I'd rather lose an election, than lose a war."
According to McCain, Obama is a decent man but don't forget he's also a traitor.

McCain's questioning of Obama's patriotism would make Joe McCarthy and J. Edgar Hoover smile. McCain is a disgraceful person who lacks the integrity and inbtelligence to be president.

Sep. 05 2008 10:16 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

I liked when McCain talked about puppies...

Sep. 05 2008 10:16 AM
David SL from Brooklyn

Well what to say? The republicans are masters of misdirection. They expect the American people to fall for the lie that McCain is not in liege with the rest of the party. 90% agreement with the Bush/Cheney policies confirms this, yet they still managed to put on a circus of a convention. It was embarrassing as McCain went in one moment levying scorn against Democrats who he later states he's willing to work with! The gaul, to assume that it would still be easy after the mountain of ad hominems levied against them. It's as if they don't realize that they had control of government for 6 of 8 years and ran it into the ground. In baseball 2 strikes means your out, ditto for the republican party. The referendum against them in the legislature in 06' was strike three...they don't deserve a strike 4, they are out.

Sep. 05 2008 10:15 AM
Laura from brooklyn

Hey Brian,
I have an idea! Why not have a liar sensor on politicians. Like a really looong, loud beep everytime they tell a lie. You know, like they used to do on tennis matches when the ball was out of bound?!

Sep. 05 2008 10:15 AM
barry from Manhattan

Smearing Brian only reveals your own bias

Sep. 05 2008 10:14 AM
Voter from Brooklyn

John McCain is not Hitler. Let's get that much straight, but wasn't there something freighting and particularly upsetting by the way the senator tried to whip-up the crowd at the end of his speech. A little too reminiscent for my taste.

Sep. 05 2008 10:14 AM
barry from Manhattan

McCain is running against his own party, basically

Sep. 05 2008 10:13 AM
Leonardo Andres

is it me or do i keep hearing a voice in the background today?

Sep. 05 2008 10:13 AM
Larry from West Village

The more I listen to the coverage done by Brian, it seems to lean toward a preference for McCain...I do believe that Brian is trying to massage the issues with out tipping his hat overtly supporting McCain...Some one once told me that Brian is a closeted Neo-Con I am starting to have the same perception.

Sep. 05 2008 10:12 AM
KC from NYC

Kind of an important detail to get right, imho.

Sep. 05 2008 10:12 AM
Steve (the other one) from Manhattan

@eva - you missed nothing. I expected him to shout at some point: "You kids get off my lawn!"

And Brian - someone at some point in this mishegoss has to ask Palin: "What books at the Wasilla library did you want to ban and why?"

Sep. 05 2008 10:12 AM
seth from Long Island

McCain's reference to his POW experience in his speech was nauseating and shameless.

A real hero is someone who does not feel the urge to constantly remind you of his heroism. The repeated references to McCain's POW experience by other speakers like Fred Thompson is equally tasteless and contemptible.

Showing video of 9/11 attacks was disgraceful and shameful. 9/11 happened on Repub George Bush's watch. Bill Clinton can be criticized, but 9/11 is an attack for which Dems and Repubs both deserve blame.

Thru-out the Repub convention, it was implied that Republicans were the true patriots and Dems weren't patriotic

Sep. 05 2008 10:12 AM
Steve Mark from NYC

I loved the end of the speech. It was like watching a Gary Cooper movie.

Sep. 05 2008 10:11 AM
Gaines Hubbell from Knoxville, TN

This morning cable news started their 24-hour newsrooms with the question: "Now that the Republican Convention is over, how will Barack Obama regain the press narrative" ... Didn't they just answer their own question? That is the best judge of McCain's performance.

I thought it was the best delivery McCain has ever given. The content was mostly worn-out Republican talking-points - those same talking-points that promise smaller government and fiscal responsibility while delivering the $9.5 trillion deficit that eva's talking about. What happened to conservatism in the Republican party?! And, why does McCain's biography sound more believable from Fred Thompson than from John McCain?

Sep. 05 2008 10:10 AM
Leonardo Andres

So i guess im late for the republican bash festivities.

Sep. 05 2008 10:09 AM
the truth from Atlanta/New York

I didn't listen, tired of the war stories!

Sep. 05 2008 10:08 AM
Chuck from Brooklyn

The only thing I found more bizarre than seeing the son and grandson of Admirals and the husband of a multi-millionaire being portrayed as an everyday Joe, was the theme of the Republican convention, which now tries to sell itself as a party of change, resolution, and moderate policies. Next, they'll be selling freezers to eskimos! Barring a case of collective amnesia this election should be a landslide for Obama, but considering what happened in 04, everything is possible.

Sep. 05 2008 10:04 AM
Turbo from Brooklyn

McCain is fresh out of ideas. He's suddenly all about "Change" because he saw it working for Obama, and plucks a random Governor out of obscurity just because she's the same gender as Hillary.

Plus he sounds like an old priest when he gives speeches.

Sep. 05 2008 10:04 AM
JT from Long Island

I tried to listen to some of the RNC speeches but it was difficult. The adoration for McCain was ridiculous. This is the same party that used McCain's adopted daughter against him in South Carolina in 2000. This is the party where many said they would vote or Hillary rather than McCain. And now they love him.

I would have had some respect for McCain (not enough to vote for him) if he had stuck to his principles regarding torture. That change for political gain is so egregious that I can't believe how many republicans still go on about his honesty and integrity. I'm independent and cannot see how anyone can be a republican when this is the best they can do.

Sep. 05 2008 09:57 AM
michaelw from INWOOD

The Republicans have caused catastrophic damage to this country which will take generations to correct.

McCain was leading the charge in this process of dismantling this country.

Also he was not a war hero. He wasn't shot down he crashed his plane and signed a confession like everyone else.

Was this confession real because he was tortured? Or was it fake?

Sound familiar? All the people (men, women & children) we've tortured to get confessions.

Sep. 05 2008 09:54 AM
jl from manhattan

I have always liked John McCain and I thought he did a good job with his speech. I know he's voted with Bush 95% of the time, but I DO think he would bring an independent way of doing things to the White House. As I watched I felt a pang of wistfulness that this American hero was being held political hostage by his conservative base and evangelical running mate.

Sep. 05 2008 09:52 AM
KC from NYC

Hey, this might be an interesting thing to discuss: What was that mysterious mansion-esq building on the video screen behind McCain in the first section of his speech? Josh Marshall pegs it as the Walter Reed Middle School in North Hollywood [http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/213806.php]. That would presumably mean (since it was up while McCain discussed his recovery from the POW camp) that someone running the show thought it was a picture of Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

This may be a petty critique of stagecraft, but, with the POW stories front-and-center all week, wasn't that a kind of important detail to get right?

Sep. 05 2008 09:44 AM
Caitlin from Brooklyn

I found it remarkable that McCain didn't once mention Afghanistan; rather, Iran is the chief sponsor of terrorism, and Russia is trying to restart the Cold War.

Also, does this bit: "...that strategy succeeded and rescued us from a defeat that would have demoralized our military, risked a wider war and threatened the security of all Americans." mean that we've suddenly won the war in Iraq? I suppose that's the only way he can reconcile the fact that Bush is agreeing to leave with his determination to stick around for eternity until we achieve victory.

Also also, what's up with the sob-story about the people who had to find new jobs after they lost their "real-estate investments"? Insert multiple-house joke here.

Sep. 05 2008 09:43 AM
Lance from Manhattan

Where were all the lapel flag pins at the Republican national convention?
I didn’t see any on Tom Ridge, Lindsey Graham, Sam Brownback, Mitt Romney, or … JOHN MCCAIN!

Makes you wonder how patriotic these people really are, doesn’t it?

Sep. 05 2008 09:37 AM
pauline schneider from katonah, ny

mary #5 bless you for your comment.
Like you, I had hoped that the repubes had learned their lesson over the past miserable eight years. But they are like mules, not elephants (who have better memories), and stick stubbornly to their empty guns forgetting all the mistakes the folks they continue to vote for keep on making. McCain is four more years of Bush-Cheney agenda.
We just can't take any more of this.

Sep. 05 2008 09:29 AM
David! from NYC

@ Daniel Smith: "...played Nurse Blaylock from the Omen..."

THAT'S funny! Thanks for a laugh to start my Friday.

Sep. 05 2008 09:29 AM
pauline schneider from katonah, ny

Brian I love you and your show but why is there no coverage of the thousands outside the convention protesting the knuckleheads inside?
It seems like the real "party" and the real Americans are the protesters outside who are being gassed, beaten and arrested a la Republican style.
Can you mention these real people? College students and Minnesotans, and journalists like Amy Goodman being roughed up by cops under RNC orders?
It's absolutely unimaginable that this is a Democracy in the USA.

Sep. 05 2008 09:26 AM
Mary

Brian, I appreciate you having fact checkers on, but honestly, can you please start calling the bs as it happens? A little perspective about Fiorina would have been good -- perhaps a comment from an HP shareholder during her reign. Or the WSJ editorial board: yes, if you average GHWB unemployment rate that BC inherited into the figure, it is going to be higher than the rate of what pres. s*&t-for-brains is by averaging in the low rate he inherited.
That anyone buys this load that the repubs are selling, I fear for the species.

Sep. 05 2008 09:10 AM
Daniel Smith from Vienna by way of Brooklyn

Oh and just in case you forgot 911, 911, 911....Democrats bad, Republicans good...

How about the great coverage of people getting there heads knocked in by the police for practicing the right to assemble. Yeah I loved the coverage.

Der Rudy carried on a relentless attack full of lies and smears. Save your phony piety about sexism for the way you treated wife no. 2 Rudy. You divorced her at a press conference you ugly toad of a human being.

Oh...and sweet, sweet Sarah Palin played Nurse Blaylock from the Omen really well. She's the Mouth of Sauron with a banana clip......Christian my ass... That was just the same type of mean and nasty stuff we have been hearing for years. What's the difference between Spiro Agnew and Sarah Palin? Absolutely Nothing. What's your view on the economy Sarah? What's your view on health care Sarah? How are you going to fix Social Security, Sarah?
Community Organizers, Sarah? Who got laws passed for children with special needs? Who got civil rights laws passed? Who got voting rights for women passed? Who got clean water laws passed? What you seem to forget Caribou Barbie is that even Christians line the streets in the history of Community Organizers.

Sep. 05 2008 06:41 AM
bartholomew ryan from 11215

Dear Brian,

I know she may be a competitor, but your show has to report on the arrest and prosecution of fellow journalist Amy Goodman. It is very scary and a very dark development and journalists should investigate it now.

Sep. 05 2008 02:45 AM
eva

Okay, I'll admit, as sentimental as I feel about McCain, I went for a run instead of listening to his speech. And I just did a quick scroll through the transcript. So my question is:
Did I miss something, or is there some reason none of these guys can discuss the D word? As in, kiss my $9.5 trillion federal deficit?
Is it a death kiss to say the D word? It's a truly non-partisan issue.
If they keep ignoring it, will it manage to vanish? Or is there some plan they haven't told us about, like nuking the countries we owe the money to?
If someone at a convention says, "hey, we're up to our necks in debt to China," is it just going to spoil the mood?

Sep. 05 2008 02:04 AM
Chuck from Brooklyn

The Republican Party; The only party that can fix the damage they have done.

Sep. 05 2008 12:35 AM