RNC Coverage: Hour 2

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Amity Shlaes, senior fellow in economic history at the Council on Foreign Relations and the author of The Forgotten Man: A New History of the Great Depression, talks why the Republicans shouldn't focus so much on character--and should start thinking about economic growth.

Then
Danny Diaz, communications director for the Republican National Convention, talks about how the Republicans are using the convention to get their message out.

Then
WNYC Meet the Delegates Series:Dora Kingsley from The Bay Area, CA.

Then
Fred Melo, public safety reporter with the St. Paul Pioneer Press, talks about yesterday's protests.

Then
WNYC's political director Andrea Bernstein previews the upcoming events at the convention.

Andrea Bernstein, Danny Diaz, Dora Kingsley, Fred Melo and Amity Shlaes

larry mcgovern from White Plains, ny

The attack on the Press by the police in St. Paul should be a major story. Brian should have Amy Goodman on to tell what happened to her, her producers and other press at the convention. Very scary! Very chilling!

Sep. 04 2008 12:53 PM
Pavel Gurvich from Norwalk, CT

Brian, I want to refer to H1B visas mentioned in today's interview.
I'm IT retired professional with 30 years of experience in this area. I’m also an immigrant from former Soviet Union.
I've worked a lot with H1B recipients and I've seen a lot of my American friends loosing their IT jobs to their Indian and Chinese counter parts.
I met with Congressman Christopher Shea back in 2002 when I still was working. I was shocked to find out how little congressman knows about the H1B subject. For example, he did not know that these visas are extendable for unlimited period of time. He also had in mind some kind of myth that when you send requirements for new software to India you are getting software on the same day.
I think I have a solution for H1B that I sent to elected officials.
I suggest creating Government sponsored Web Site, type of Monster or other job advertising sites. Companies that need to hire H1B visa recipients will for nominal fee advertise job positions on this site. This way the maintenance of the site will cost government nothing. Simple background program will determine whether the applicant for the job is American citizen or legal alien. If there will be no such applicants then company can apply for H1B visa for hiring. Otherwise company should prove to INS or other authority that it can not hire American citizen and/or legal alien for the advertised position.
This solution will free congress from voting to authorize number H1B visas.

Sep. 04 2008 11:52 AM
zuwena from manhattan-Harlem

Brian, you are helping to demean this whole election process by continuing to ask listeners for their "best zingers". Can you raise the tenor up a few notches and deal with some of the insightful questions and queries that your comment audience have raised--See all of the above. Thanks

Sep. 04 2008 11:41 AM
jeff from brooklyn

Gotta like Rudy. Not only does he
hire sleazy criminal Bernard Kerik, he pushes him for the top security post in the nation. And then
stands in front of a roomful of mindfully
ignorant simpletons reviewing candidates resumes.

Sep. 04 2008 11:02 AM
Brooke from Fairfield, CT

I am constantly amazed that Republicans--including the young man from Ohio that Brian just spoke to--believe that their party believes in a reduced, even nominal role for government in peoples' lives. When is the last time a Democrat in power told citizens which books to read, what decision to make about their own bodies and family life, who they should marry, or whether or not they should believe in God?

Sep. 04 2008 10:55 AM
pauline schneider from katonah, NY

Sarah Palin is a lock step republican, hardly the maverick she paints herself as. She is anti women, anti environment, anti education, and anti universal health care. Last night she mocked the American people for wanting health care and a fair and decent minimum wage. MacCain called her his 'soulmate' when he announced her as his veep. I was sickened by the republicans last night chanting "drill baby drill". This is typical republican behavior showing they have learned nothing in the last eight years. They will bring no new tricks to the white house and certainly no change.

Sep. 04 2008 10:25 AM
Jan from Upper West Side

Re Sarah Palin's Down Syndrome child:
I keep hearing that she chose to have her baby despite her knowledge that the baby had Down Syndrome. How did she know that? If she opted for Amnio to find out about deformities, isn't that inconsistent with not having an abortion no matter what? If abortion would never be an option for Palin, why have such a pre-birth determining test?

Sep. 03 2008 03:18 PM

@127 Seth

Dude.

1) I don't have her calendar, so I dunno.

2) Best guy is probably gone -- may he rest in peace. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Russert

Sep. 03 2008 01:13 PM
seth from Long Island

America Wins Palin,

Do you agree with Palin that it's ok for science teachers to discuss intelligent design with their students?

Sep. 03 2008 01:12 PM
seth from Long Island

America Wins with Palin,

You changed the subject to McCain/Obama and their media availabilty.

I originally asked you about Palin's media availabilty. When will she appear on any of these news shows: Newshour with Jim Lehrer, Nightline, Face the Nation, Meet the Press, This Week with George Stephonopolus, The Today Show, Good Morning America, The Early Show, The Situation Room, AC 360, Charlie Rose, NBC Nightly News, CBS Evening News, or ABC World News? Are all of these shows communist propaganda?

Do you think that Jim Lehrer, Judy Woodruff, Gwen Ifill, Bob Schieffer, Tom Brokaw, Charlie Gibson, Harry Smith, Anderson Cooper, George Stephanopolous, Brian Williams, Wolf Blitzer, Charlie Rose, Katie Couric, Terry Moran, and Cynthia McFadden are all communists?

Sep. 03 2008 01:04 PM

@124 Seth

Obama is a Gaffe-o-matic

He does well behind a teleprompter delivering speeches.

It is well known that he is not good in unscripted situations. This is why his handlers squirmed out of the town halls sessions which McCain wanted. Want some proof? View the tape of that Saddleback forum. Obama: "above my pay grade", etc.

Sep. 03 2008 12:52 PM
America Wins with Palin from NYorkistan

If Obama were a candidate for the Republican nomination, he would have been short-lived.

On the stage were a number of extremely talented, accomplished executive leaders...Giuliani, Romney, etc. And legislators with much more experience...Paul, Thompson.

Obama became the candidate of the left due to:
1) MoveOn types taking control from the Clinton moderate types in the party
2) "identity politics" ...95% of blacks are voting for Obama...he is THE "race" candidate
3) vitriol over the Bush administration

I hope that rational minds prevail.

Sep. 03 2008 12:49 PM
seth from Long Island

@121 America Wins with Palin

I don't have a problem with a bipartisan panel. Getting back to the broadcast and cable news shows - Do you think that Jim Lehrer, Judy Woodruff, Gwen Ifill, Bob Schieffer, Tom Brokaw, Charlie Gibson, Harry Smith, Anderson Cooper, George Stephanopolous, Brian Williams, Wolf Blitzer, and Charlie Rose are all communists?

I can't wait for the presidential debates. Obama will totally wipe the floor with McCain and the nation will see that the AZ senator is out of touch, out to lunch, and not ready for primetime.

Sep. 03 2008 12:48 PM
Micheal from New York

He who said it last said it best. Greatest point made yet, John from Brooklyn. If Obama was a republican you can bet that their propaganda machine would be hammering us with that fact relentlessly.

Sep. 03 2008 12:39 PM
v johns from God's Country

America Palin Newyorkistan guy,
With all that's happened in the past 8 years; 9/11, the occupation of Iraq, the military action in Afghanistan, Katrina, constitution issues, invasion of privacy, conflict in Georgia, loss of manufacturing jobs, Enron scandal, health care... (I've got to stop cause it's depressing thinking about the failure of the current administration regarding all of these issues) you feel confident that Sarah Palin could step up to such challenges because? Could you direct me to any of her published opinions on such issues. I agree that "She's a real person", but that doesn't sell me on the idea that she can lead the worlds leading nation.

Sep. 03 2008 12:33 PM

@117 Seth

Have a bi-partisan panel prepare a set of questions, written or oral, and give each candidate the opportunity to respond (That Saddleback format was a good one.)

Best, make it televised and extemporaneous. This would end the election for Obama.

Sep. 03 2008 12:32 PM
chris o from new york city

120
No it has not.

Sep. 03 2008 12:32 PM

@116 Chris O

This has been debunked; google is your friend.

Sep. 03 2008 12:27 PM

@114

Had we those records! If we could see his calendar, we could find out how many MEETINGS he sat in = LOTS. We could see how many people he had as direct reports in his whole lifetime = FEW. We could see what budget dollars he had responsibility for = NONE.

Yes, lets compare them.

Oh, someone has:

Sep. 03 2008 12:24 PM
seth from Long Island

@113 America wins with Palin

"When Obama submits to same interview' - what are you talking about? Obama has been interviewed on Meet the Press, Morning Joe, the Newshour with Jim Lehrer, network morning shows, etc. Do you simply not watch any of these shows?

"MSM is biased left" - does this include the Newshour with Jim Lehrer, Face the Nation, Meet the Press, This Week with George Stephonopolus, The Today Show, Good Morning America, The Early Show, and Charlie Rose?
How about Fox News for starters? Palin can't hide behind McCain's handlers until election day.

Of course, Obama should release all of his medical records ASAP.

Sep. 03 2008 12:23 PM
chris o from new york city

Barry #103,
Did you know McCain does not meet the requirements to be President. Granted it is a technicality and so no one is challenging him, nor should they. (But I doubt the other side would show such restraint...)

McCain was born in Panama in 1936. There was some law re: naturalization in the Panama zone but that was not passed until 1937. A law professor wrote a compelling short piece about this.

Sep. 03 2008 12:22 PM

@114 Steve

Let's do the same with Obama. Let's get those records from his early employment that have disappeared and/or he refuses to release. Let's ask him pointed questions about his actual legislative and executive accomplishments.

It will be brief.

Other than his own self-glorifying books, he never even WROTE anything of note at Harvard (Law Review) or Chicago (Law School).

This whole thing is a joke.

Sep. 03 2008 12:20 PM
Steve from Manhattan

Brian: It was unfair of you to parrot the Republican Party line about Palin having "more experience" that Obama without challenging it, or allowing Andrea Bernstein to challenge it, which she seemed on the verge of doing when you had to break off the conversation with her at the end of the hour. Please revisit this issue later in the program, and give it the proper vetting it deserves.

Sep. 03 2008 12:09 PM

@110 seth

- when Obama submits to same interview
- because the MSM is biased left
- BANNING BOOKS IS EVIL
- Why doesn't Obama release HIS records? What might Obama fear whould come out of his records...he has already admitted drug use...would he test positive? I don't know.

Curious minds wanna know. Can we play fair?

Sep. 03 2008 12:03 PM
NPV from Sea Cliff , N.Y.

Aerica wins with Palin from newyorkistan. Thanks for the support. I hate to sound like an
old timer but... " Those who don't learn from
the mistakes they made in their past are bound to repeat them". Sincerey, NPV

Sep. 03 2008 12:03 PM
chris o from new york city

Brian,
Your glowing analysis of the virtues of the Palin pick is fair. I happen to think it is completely wrong. Yes it motivates the base but I think it befuddles and disturbs 70% of the public. The base was going to vote for him anyway, certainly never would they vote for Obama.

We shall see. But I don't think we need another guy who shoots from the hip and goes with his gut. 8 is enough.

Sep. 03 2008 12:00 PM
seth from Long Island

America Wins with Palin,

When will McCain's campaign staff allow Palin to submit to an interview with the news media? Why aren't they rushing to book her on every cable tv news show so that we can be enlightened by her pearls of wisdom?

Do you think it's ok to ban books from a library? Do you think teaching intelligent design in school enriches the science curriculum? Why did McCain allow only a handful of reporters a few hours to browse thousands of pgs of his medical records and refuse to let them have any pens, pencils or other devices to copy any pgs? McCain is a 72 yr old cancer survivor. Why is he afraid of allowing full access to reporters and letting them take notes as they browse the records?

Sep. 03 2008 12:00 PM

@100 Harold

Why are you ignoring the fact that she IS
GOVERNOR of ALASKA ?!

Governors deal with the SAME EXACT executive challenges that POTUS entails.

I wouldn't trust Barry to run a Dunkin Donuts franchise! Would you, if it were your money?

;)

Sep. 03 2008 11:59 AM
barry from Manhattan

Anyone interested in the upcoming debates?
I was a little chagrined at the coverage from last night.
Damn there were a lot of Old Fat folks at that arena.
No offense...

Sep. 03 2008 11:59 AM
v johns from God's Country

The Danny Diaz interview was a prime example of political talking heads avoiding substantive questions by repeating meaningless talking points. (Listening to him is like listening to an oil derrick.) Can we please get rid of the myth about McCain and Palin being mavericks?

Finally, does anybody know the over under on how many times we're going to hear someone describe her as a "real person"?

Sep. 03 2008 11:58 AM
NPV from Sea Cliff , N.Y.

Attention all active and retired law enforcement 10-13. Please chime in on the issues. I need back up. Thanks, NPV

Sep. 03 2008 11:58 AM
Chicago Listener

hey! "tax wonk hot" was a compliment! granted, a little off topic, but she's cute.

anyway, seriously, have her back on. god, what a news geek i am...actually begging for more tax coverage!

Sep. 03 2008 11:58 AM
barry from Manhattan

I missed the reports about the machine gun attacks..

Sep. 03 2008 11:57 AM
barry from Manhattan

Well almost all US citizens meet the requirements for being the President.
Basically be a citizen and be of age right?
Does that "frighten you" Harold?
Maybe we should tighten up the requirements?

Sep. 03 2008 11:56 AM
chris o from new york city

I wouldn't mind watching a car crash tonight. Unlikely but more likely than usual.

Sep. 03 2008 11:55 AM

@91 Zak and @92 Harold

(First, I don't think "the facts" are "absurd".)

I do believe in progressive taxation, but there is a point -- in democracy -- where it is DANGEROUS to have such a large number of voters that receive huge NET positive benefits from the system and pay nothing for it, generation after generation.

We are near that point already; Obama stares over the CLIFF with his toothy grin...

Sep. 03 2008 11:55 AM
John from Brooklyn

To these Republicans who now are mouthing the talking point that Obama has no executive experience...

Whom do they think is CEO of the Obama campaign? Who ultimately is responsible for all of the campaign's astonishing organizational, communications, and financial successes? Who, in only 18 short months, built a powerhouse company that attracted hundreds of loyal employees, that raised hundreds of millions of dollars, and that is universally regarded as the greatest dynamo in the history of American politics?

I'll answer that: Barack Obama.

No executive experience? Please.

Sep. 03 2008 11:54 AM
Chris from Manhattan

There you go:

The crime? being an anarchist.

The proof? person was dressed in black.

And where are the reports of people being arrested merely for asking that the police produce their warrants.

Why are the police attacking with machine guns?

Sep. 03 2008 11:53 AM
Harold Wilson from New Jersey, US

@90 NYorkistan:

Any EXECUTIVE experience is not sufficient for the office of the President. You can be the mayor of Wasilla, Alaska for 50 years, but that does not mean you have the awareness of the issues surrounding the presidency of the United States of America. That's why a Senator is more suited to this, plainly because they are better informed of the policies, intricacies and nuances of running a country, having looked at it from close quarters.

If you think that being a mayor of a 5000-people town for 4 years qualifies you to be president, there are tons of people who are ready to be president of this country. Even writing this makes me laugh at the silliness of your claims.

Sep. 03 2008 11:53 AM
Owen from Rochester

Please don't blame all the chaos in St. Paul on "anarchists"! There are definitely a lot of anarchists who behave like hooligans at these events, but there are plenty more who are not necessarily dressed in black, and more importantly, are not necessarily supportive of violent tactics.

Sep. 03 2008 11:53 AM
KC from NYC

Thanks for giving the protests (and police response and/or agitation) a little coverage. I haven't seen any of it in other mainstream media.

I would love to hear more, though. The Amy Goodman/Democracy Now arrests and the police/FBI home invasions were pretty terrifying. And it's really hard to think much of this stuff is legal.

Sep. 03 2008 11:52 AM
Zak from Brooklyn, NY

#79--How does making sure the miniscule number of people who live in Alaska make sure they get their big, fat annual oil kick backs compare to serving on the Foreign Affairs committee with regard to our status, as a nation, in the world?

Moreover, look at how Executive Obama has ran his campaign vs. Executive McCain. Executive Obama actually VETTED his veep pick.

Sep. 03 2008 11:51 AM
shc from Manhattan

Re: the finance dialogue b/t NYorkistan and everyone else (I'll point out #45 & 60 for starters): what side does NYorkistan find him/herself on? Are you part of the 5% or the 95%? The only people I have thus far found to defend the 5% are those who comprise it.

Sep. 03 2008 11:50 AM
NPV from Sea Cliff , N.Y.

... For all of you who felt that I was shouting, I am very sorry... NPV

Sep. 03 2008 11:50 AM
Owen from Rochester

#88, good call on "numerous." Brian, I hope you challenge Mr. Diaz (or his counterparts) more forcefully next time around.

Sep. 03 2008 11:49 AM
jl from manhattan

I am definitely in the bracket that is going up and I don't consider myself rich. If I lived somewhere other than NYC, on my income I could afford a big house with a mutli-car garage, but I live here and already well more than half my income goes to taxes. I liked Amity and I'm glad she made the point that in NY the cost of living is high and people here don't feel like they are "rich" even though they might be considered so in other places.

And to the caller who made the point about the janitor who works 60 hours a week--I completely agree that everyone who works should be able to make a truly living wage. But if you want them to make the same as a dopey hedge fund manager who takes home many multiples of that--well, I'm sympathetic, but you need to join the socialist party.

And as I sit in my tiny (rented) apartment typing on my ancient computer, I'm still not that sympathetic to all the people who racked up huge credit card debt and bought 3500 sq homes they now can't afford. (And yes--you people in in NJ know who you are.) So my question about consumer disciplineand responsibility in crafting economic policy still remains.

Sep. 03 2008 11:49 AM
Harold Wilson from New Jersey, US

@71:

The bottom 50% who do not pay any taxes, do not get government checks from the taxes collected from the top 50%.

The money goes to your roads, military, agriculture, which everybody benefits from, and social services, which the bottom 50% definitely benefit from. If government did not provide the services for these bottom 50% out of the money from the top 50%, the US will be easily look like a third world economy. Will you be willing to let the bottom 50% at the mercy of the charity from top 50% ?

Sep. 03 2008 11:49 AM
Zak from Brooklyn, NY

#71--Half of the population does not live off the other. That's an absurd statement. Those of us in the lower 50% are struggling to get by and the graduated tax system was designed to promote a large middle class. Unfortunately, the Republican party now believes in a return to feudalism. Oligarchs and we serfs below.

I'm sorry that you're offended that the federal government returns a large portion of my tax payment to me in the form of a refund. But I'd far rather my hard earned wages pay for MY rent than pay for YOUR war.

Sep. 03 2008 11:48 AM

@79 Steve

1+1 does not equal 2 here.

People rightly put much more weight on executive experience than legislative. Legislators and particularly lawyer-legislators are not held in high regard as candidates for EXECUTIVE offices.

Obama sitting at a conference table with a bunch of other college-educated "creative class" members doesn't count as leadership experience! {Of course, if you think it does, try that on an MBA application}
;)

Sep. 03 2008 11:46 AM
Daniel from brooklyn

Amity Shlaes tried to make the flat tax seem fair. She would be right if we lived in a Utopian world where everyone had the same opportunities from birth.

But in the real world of profound inequality the flat tax would only serve to increase the unfair advantages of the already affluent and powerful.

Sep. 03 2008 11:44 AM
Derek from Brooklyn

So McCain talking with Palin twice = "numerous"?

I have numerous hands, and numerous legs. There are numerous athletes in a tennis game.

I guess "numerous" maybe means there are numbers involved.

Sep. 03 2008 11:44 AM
KC from NYC

It's hard to imagine how the Democratic Congress could be more "cooperative" with the president than they are now, Lady from California. Sorry. What more could you possibly want from them?

Sep. 03 2008 11:44 AM
Owen from Rochester

I'm surprised the Republicans would make such a rude, dishonest-sounding man their communications chief. "They want to tax everything that walks"--he should have been challenged on this ridiculous caricature of Dem policies. And "thumbsuckers"? Is he auditioning to be Sean Hannity?

Sep. 03 2008 11:43 AM
Talavera from Central Islip - Long Island, N.Y.

Look at the difference in the DNC & RNC...

The DNC Had Over 85,000 people in attendance...

The RNC Only Has 17,000 people in attendance...

The Democrats Are Invigorated....

OBAMA For Prez In 2008...

Biden For VP In 2008...

Sep. 03 2008 11:43 AM
Harold Wilson from New Jersey, US

To Danny Diaz, and other GOP talking heads:

You say that "Sarah Palin is a 'real' person, doing 'real things', with 'real' experience."

Does it mean that others are imaginary persons doing imaginary things with imaginary experience?

Think before you speak. Americans are not that foolish. If you keep saying 'real', it does not make a difference in what her accomplishments are.

Sep. 03 2008 11:43 AM
hjs from 11211

mccam and palin met numerous times?? which dates?

Sep. 03 2008 11:42 AM
Kenn from Brooklyn

Palin is now claiming Executive Privilege, and refusing to release emails pertaining to Trooper-Gate. I guess the Bush administration remains the role model for all republicans.

Sep. 03 2008 11:42 AM

@seth

It is, in actuality, brilliant. It is revealing the hypocrisy of the left and the MSM.

Every barb & jab will boomerang back to haunt the Obama ticket.

It is sharpening the contrast.

Sep. 03 2008 11:42 AM
Steve (the other one) from Manhattan

@68 - and the GOP is saying that has foreign policy experience due to the fact that Alaska is right next to Russia. Seriously.

Sep. 03 2008 11:42 AM
BORED

Since when is numerous twice. The truth is that except for the far right-wing republicans do not know anything about this woman exceot for their emailed talking points.

Sep. 03 2008 11:41 AM
Zak from Brooklyn, NY

#53--How does one say that McCain has more experience than Biden? Last I checked 36 years (Biden's tenure in the Senate) is more than 21 years. If you factor in his House or Reps experience, McCain's still been at the national level for a decade less than Biden.

And, no matter what you say...issuing Moose Hunting permits as mayor of Wasila, AK or being Governor of a state of 670,000 people does not qualify as "experience" on par with serving in the Senate. Heck, the Illinois State Senate, as a body, represents roughly 20 times the number of people that Palin has ever represented.

Sep. 03 2008 11:40 AM
eligit from astoria

wow....this guy takes the cake.

not exactly most thoughtful speaker of all time.

guess that is the gig tho.

Sep. 03 2008 11:40 AM
America Wins with Palin from NYorkistan

"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship." attributed to Alexander Fraser Tytler

Sep. 03 2008 11:39 AM
Chris from Manhattan

Danny Diaz evidently advocates elimination of ALL taxes?

What does this Republicon think we pay taxes for? Bombs to kill Muslims? Police to beat protesters? And kickbacks to corporate executives?

Sep. 03 2008 11:39 AM
seth from Long Island

The rabid, foaming at the mouth criticism of the Republicans against the media over coverage of Sarah Palin is insincere and phony.

If John McCain had done a real vetting of Palin instead of a drive-thru window vetting of her, the media wouldn't have had to perform the job for him.

Delivery drivers for Dominos Pizza are more thoroughly vetted than Sarah Palin.

Sep. 03 2008 11:38 AM
drew from brooklyn

When these guys talk about the what the call "the largest" and "the biggest" state in the union, can we please have them clarify, each and every time, what exactly they mean by that. Is he saying she is the best land steward in America? Is he saying she's the best economic manager? Is he saying she's managing the largest social services in America? It would be nice to get some clarification on this point, especially considering they seem to bring it up constantly.
Thanks

Sep. 03 2008 11:37 AM

@46

Top 1% of earners pay 40% of taxes.
Top 50% of earners pay 97%, yes ninety seven percent, of taxes!

Can you ever have a fair democracy when HALF the population lives off the others??

Think about it. Makes it clear why they want to vote themselves more goodies, doesn't it?

Sep. 03 2008 11:36 AM
anonyme from manhattan

Amity! How can you tell us with a straight face that Phil Gramm has any credibility with MY retirement considering his role in the current financial mess - I think you need to get out of the ivory tower! You are dangerous! Isn't it clear that without regulation it all goes to the crooks and nobody is ever going to be held accountable.

Sep. 03 2008 11:36 AM
KC from NYC

"It's good that she fights pork. It is also good that she seeks pork." Brian, I don't know how you do it. I would have banged my head against the nearest wall so hard by now... Seriously, here's to you.

Sep. 03 2008 11:35 AM
chris o from new york city

I love Republicans: Alaska is the largest state in the union, they say.

Sep. 03 2008 11:34 AM
O from Forest Hills

I am so happy and grateful that Obama whom is stroft, soft on the middle class and strong on the rich will fix taxes and bring America back from the bad economy state we are in.

Obama will make an excellent President, especially with Biden as his VP.

Sep. 03 2008 11:34 AM

@43 NPV

Please tell your law enforcement buddies to keep an eye on @61 in the event she/he doesn't get what she/he WANTS! Period.

Sep. 03 2008 11:30 AM
Chris from Manhattan

Some people might say that we're seeing economic problems because of years of GROSS misconduct by Republicons.

Sep. 03 2008 11:30 AM
Chicago Listener

{{43 NPV from Sea Cliff , N.Y. September 03, 2008 - 11:22AM BRIAN , YOU FOLKS ARE GROPING FOR ANYTHING TO SPOIL SARA PALIN'S BACKGROUND...]]

...please don't shout.

Sep. 03 2008 11:29 AM
chris o from new york city

I had no idea Amity was a partisan hack. Very embarassing.

Sep. 03 2008 11:29 AM
seth from Long Island

Both Pres. Bush and Sen Thompson boasted of John McCain's toughness in enduring torture by his Vietnamese captors.

If McCain is so tough, why did he choose Sarah Palin rather than take a principled stand and risk alienating the Repub base by picking Lieberman or Ridge?

If McCain is so tough, how come he or his spokesmen complain so vigorously about media bias when his campaign staffers have to submit to anything other than fawning or sycophantic interviews?
McCain cancelled his appearance on Larry Kings' show because he felt CNN anchor Campbell Brown was too tough on his staffer Tucker Bounds.

Source: http://www.broadcastingcable.com/CA6592163.html

Sep. 03 2008 11:29 AM
Talavera from Central Islip - Long Island, N.Y.

Hey Mr. Angry ( IN LAW ENFORCEMENT THIRTY YEARS..)
OBAMA - 2008...
Period!!!!!!!!!

Sep. 03 2008 11:28 AM

@46 and @46

Shame, shame.

Absolutely not true. Faulty reasoning.

The "rich" pay more absolute DOLLARS in taxes, although they may pay less as a PERCENTAGE -- typically not, though.

Sep. 03 2008 11:28 AM
Micheal from New York

I was born below the poverty line. I remain just a thousand bucks from having nothing. As far as I am concerned, the rich are SUPPOSED To pay more. They have more to protect. If the "Russians" invade the USA and start takeing assets , I will lose nothing, the rich will lose a lot , so let THEM sacrafice to keep all the wealth they think they are entotled to. I think we need to offshore our CEO's. I am sure that the Japanese and Europeans could better manage our companies. They m,anage their own better than the fools that run this place now do. THis woman is just paid by the owners in this country to come up with excuses for theri exploitation and dominance. ITs all spin.

Sep. 03 2008 11:27 AM
Harold Wilson from New Jersey, US

Please ask the speaker if Phil Gramm's role in creating the Enron loophole qualifies him to become the Secretary of Treasury.

Sep. 03 2008 11:27 AM
Steve (the other one) from Manhattan

Phil Gramm is largely responsible for the mortgage mess due to his lobbying. He doesn't know diddly. Amity needs to be confronted.

Sep. 03 2008 11:27 AM
chris o from new york city

No AMity Shlaes is not honest with her numbers.

Sep. 03 2008 11:27 AM
MW from Brooklyn

Regarding Obama and the capital gains tax on real estate--this is not difficult information to find, Amity. I just found it from an objective source in 30 seconds.

Sep. 03 2008 11:27 AM
Chicago Listener

you should have this amity person on again. she's feisty. i'm not sure what the heck she's talking about...too much ground being covered. but she's interesting.

Sep. 03 2008 11:26 AM

@37

Heck, you should run for President!

You could absolutely toss a stone into a crowd at lunch hour in midtown Manhattan and be guaranteed to hit someone with more experience than Obama!

The real question is why the experience ordering is this McCain > Biden > Palin > Obama

??

Sep. 03 2008 11:26 AM
Steven Forbis from Manhattahn

Obama said $250,000, not $100,000. Amity Shlaes is not intellectually honest.

Sep. 03 2008 11:25 AM
Chris from Manhattan

Gee, does Amity Shlaes sound like an elitist? "Americans don't even understand."

If executives get 90 percent of the profit, why shouldn't they pay 90 percent of the tax.

INDEED, the execs are getting about 150% of the profit given that they get bonuses even when the company loses money.

And if Amity knew anything about economic history, she would also know that those same economists in the 50s were predicting that we'd be retiring about about 40 or 45 by now.

Sep. 03 2008 11:25 AM
CH from Staten Island

I just read the docs between Palin's lawyer and the Alaska Senate Judiciary. (link followed from CNN)

It is rather illuminating (or not) that Palins's lawyer is concerned about coordinating deposing witnesses in the ethics investigation "particularly as hunting season is here." Umm..."Country First" (as soon as hunting season ends?)

Sep. 03 2008 11:24 AM
NPV from Sea Cliff , N.Y.

... BY THE WAY "CHRIS O" YOU ARE LEARNING...
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. NICK

Sep. 03 2008 11:24 AM
Mike Leung from Brooklyn

Don't the rich benefit disproportionately from the government? Aren't 75% of the courts essentially for them?

Sep. 03 2008 11:24 AM
KC from NYC

"[A flat tax is] considered regressive by some [sane] people."

Isn't it necessarily regressive? Is that something that can be debated as if "regressive" were a subjective term? What planet is she on?

Sep. 03 2008 11:23 AM
chris o from new york city

The superrich pay less in taxes than us. They write the tax code. They pay 15% capital gains, we pay 25% income tax etc.

Sep. 03 2008 11:23 AM
Zak from Brooklyn, NY

This discussion of tax percentages with your current guest is sort of a load of hooey. Yes, if one looks at mere PERCENTAGES this seems disproportionate, but it negates the basic principle of buying power and the footprint of these actual dollars and cents have on the lives of the persons who are being taxed. If a family is living on a combined income of $50,000 (which will surprise many New Yorkers to discover that this is the average household income) is paying $10,000 a year in taxes will have a bigger impact on their LIFESTYLE than a family making 1,000,000 and paying $400,000 a year in taxes. $600,000 a year to live on buys a heckuva lot more than $40,000 even if it is a smaller percentage. It's small concession to those of us not on the upper rungs of the economy.

Sep. 03 2008 11:23 AM
chris o from new york city

What about the Warren BUffett challenge to the super-rich people. He defied them to show that they pay higher share of their taxes than their Admin. Assistants. I don't think one of them do. They pay 0% Social Security whereas we pay about 13% with employer contribution counted.

Sep. 03 2008 11:22 AM
NPV from Sea Cliff , N.Y.

BRIAN , YOU FOLKS ARE GROPING FOR ANYTHING TO
SPOIL SARA PALIN'S BACKGROUND... STICK WITH THE ISSUES. TECNICALLY SHE HAS MORE EXECUTIVE
EXPERIENCE THAN OBAMA,MCCAIN AND BIDEN COMBINED. THE ARE ALL LEGISLATORS... YOUR GUEST IS NO CONSERVATIVE. SHE IS A RINO (REPUBLICAN IN NAME ONLY)... THIS ELECTION IS THE MOST IMPORTANT OF THIS CENTURY. I SPENT THIRTY YEARS IN LAW ENFORCEMENT AND I WOKED ON SEVERAL TERRORISIM CASES. KEEP IN MIND THERE IS CURRRENTLY TEN THOUSAND MOSQUES IN THE UNITED STATES. NOT ONE OF THEM HAS CONDEMED ISLAMIC EXTREMISM. ISLAM WILL OWN EUROPE IN TEN YEARS.
WE IN THE UNITED STATES ARE NEXT AND THEY WILL DO IT FROM WITHIN. THERE OWN MANIFESTO INDICATES THIS. PUT DOWN YOUR LATTES, CELL PHONES, ETC. AND WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep. 03 2008 11:22 AM

@26

Obama -- smartly -- has publicly stated he doesn't want to discuss the Palin daughter's pregnancy.

To do so would bring up all kinds of uncomfortable comparisons...
- Obama's mother was also pregnant at 17
- Obama's father was married to another woman at the time of his marriage to Obama's mom...bigamy is a criminal offense. btw.

let's all play fair! ;0

Sep. 03 2008 11:21 AM
Steve (the other one) from Manhattan

Sipping a martini at my country house? No recession? What planet is this woman from? Does she know how many houses she has?

Sep. 03 2008 11:21 AM
dawson from new york

you guest discredits herself when she cries about how bad it is that we focus on personality, then launches into personal attacks on Edwards, who is not running anymore, and Sen. Obama's college transcripts. Stick with the issues or don't pretend to be more than a conservative hack.

Sep. 03 2008 11:19 AM
mark Brown from sos-newdeal.blogspot.com AND markbnj.blogspot.com

and on palin vs. the kids:

markbnj.blogspot.com/2008/09/politics-palin-vs-mccain-1.html

been there did that already.

Yes, her internal moral compass was asleep.

Sep. 03 2008 11:19 AM
Watcher from Norwalk, CT

This lady is dopey. I'm a Republican voting for Obama. Obama has definitively said that the cap-gains rate for the sale a house would stay exactly as it is now: first $500,000 of gain over basis tax-free for a couple married, filing jointly.

There's been no "back and forth" on this. He's been clear, definitive and concise.

Sep. 03 2008 11:18 AM
Talavera from Central Islip - Long Island, N.Y.

Palin's pregnant daughter is the direct result of poor parenting!!!!! Period!!!!!! You cannot paint it in any other light!!!!! Sorry Republican People!!!!!!
I consider Palin a very poor parent... What does this say about her character & morals...I am sorry but there is absolutely no way my daughter would be having sex let alone get pregnant at 17 years of age if I am doing a good job as a parent!!!!!!! Maybe I should be run for VP...???
( OBAMA - 2008 )

Sep. 03 2008 11:18 AM
chris o from new york city

When did Amity Schlaes become a right winger? Maybe always...

Sep. 03 2008 11:18 AM
mark Brown from sos-newdeal.blogspot.com AND markbnj.blogspot.com

Since this Uber-conservative Amity columninst is sprouting vermin (in MY opinion) about Obama taxes.

I'd like you to ask her how a new Alternative Millionaire Tax (new-AMT) wont be appropriate for those making with over 5million a year in INCOME..
1% straght tax no alternative!

Sep. 03 2008 11:17 AM
KC from NYC

"Tax War". That's a nice, non-loaded, non-partisan, substantive critique.

Sep. 03 2008 11:17 AM
chris o from new york city

No Fred. He dis not talk of taxing businesses. He was referring to the 5% that won't get a tax cut, the really super-rich people. The ones the commenter is pitying. They actually pay a lot less than they used to. She is very wrong. Who is speaking? Must be a repug b/c there is lots of misinformation.

Sep. 03 2008 11:17 AM

@26

double standard, perchance?
"News & Notes , September 27, 2005 · Forty years ago, a government report on the state of the black family in America warned that almost one out of four black children were born to unmarried mothers. Recent figures suggest that now, almost 70 percent of black children are born out of wedlock."

Sep. 03 2008 11:14 AM
Kenn from Brooklyn

Brian, the issue of Palin proposing the banning of books and firing the librarian is an issue of the abuse of power. There are other instances in the Times article. Consider the potential danger of the new FISA bill in the hands of someone like Sarah Palin.

Sep. 03 2008 11:14 AM
KC from NYC

Hmmm... McCain selects someone with all kinds of contradictions, hypocrisies and who-knows-what in the closet, and suddenly the conservative pundits want to talk "real issues" instead of "character".

I'm all for it, but the timing on that revelation is hilariously suspect.

Sep. 03 2008 11:14 AM

@25 Eric

...like that group of miscreants who attacked a bus full of CUB SCOUTS?!?

Sep. 03 2008 11:12 AM
Steve (the other one) from Manhattan

THANKS for asking the book banning question, although it's not the "little" issue you claimed.

Next should come her pastor problems ... turnabout is fair play.

Sep. 03 2008 11:12 AM
jl from manhattan

Question for the economist coming up in this hour: In my opinion, Americans have been undisciplined consumer spenders. We buy houses we can't afford and all sorts of other stuff we also can't afford and don't really need. On one hand, this has clearly kept the economy moving along the past few years, but on the other I think it has contributed to some of the economic woes the average consumer is feeling.

My question is how is consumer spending factoring in to the economic policies of the two parties? Does either policy encourage consumers to become more informed and responsible? I'm particularly interested in how this squares with plans to afford tax relief to the middle class.

I know I sound conservative, but I'm really not--just sort of ticked that my taxes will go up so my sister can get a tax break and go out and buy a large screen tv.

Sep. 03 2008 11:12 AM
Eric from B'klyn

I am extremely troubled by the lack of attention/coverage the mainstream media has given the peaceful demonstrators and/or the aggressive posture assumed by the police in St Paul. While freedom of speech, press, and religion are commonly associated with First Amendment, there are two other rights guaranteed in the First Amendment: the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. The fact that these rights are enumerated in the First Amendment indicates that the Founders considered them to be absolutely foundational. As a citizen, I believe the persistent antagonism at the federal, state and local levels of government toward the right of citizens to assemble and petition the government is disturbing. Your thoughts?

Sep. 03 2008 11:08 AM
Chuck from Brooklyn

"She's from a small town and has small town values. But that's not good enough for those big mined city slickers."

Good grief. People are buying this?

No wonder this country has fallen behind the rest of the world and is owned by China.

We are idiots.

Sep. 03 2008 11:07 AM

@19 Talvera

I'll be fine in the unlikely event that happens; I am not emotionally attached to the outcome and have not TRANSFERRED my own hopes, dreams, anger, and frustrations ONTO "tabula Obama". I worry for and about those who have.

;)

Sep. 03 2008 11:07 AM
Steve (the other one) from Manhattan

List of Palin's Problems - 110 and growing: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/9/2/92043/10932

Sep. 03 2008 11:05 AM
the truth from Atlanta/New York

What is wrong with people thinking this does not matter, palin and her husband raised this child, no one else. So when you a waving the abstinence banner and your child comes up pregnanct, it's a problem. Clearly they have different views on the matter of abstinence.

Sep. 03 2008 11:02 AM
the truth from Atlanta/New York

Don't try to distort the words. Do you like the word "accident" better? Pregnancy is the punishment/consequence for having unprotected sex.

Sep. 03 2008 11:00 AM
Talavera from Central Islip - Long Island, N.Y.

Response To :

* * America Wins with Palin from NYorkistan * *

I wish I could see the look on your face when you realize OBAMA has won the presidency...

THE YOUNG VIBRANT AMERICA WILL BE HEARD!!!!!!!!!

"Then" And Only "Then" Will This Country Start Moving In The Right Direction!!!!!!!!!

( OBAMA - 2008 )

Sep. 03 2008 10:59 AM

Barack Obama:

"I've got two daughters, 9 years old and 6 years old. I am going to teach them first of all about values and morals. But if they make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby."

Sep. 03 2008 10:53 AM
Steve (the other one) from Manhattan

Brian - please ask this guy DIRECTLY whether he agrees that Palin should have been able to ban books in her community. Please - we deserve an answer to that question and other questions about her reactionary views.

Sep. 03 2008 10:52 AM

@14 David

Funny, a media studies class could have a field day with the Democratic convention. It was totally fake, staged like HOLLYWOOD.

I found it refreshing to see the convention be what it actually is, a gathering of delegates, rather than the Democrats' slick festivus, complete with all kinds of totalitarian imagery and emotional manipulation.

Sep. 03 2008 10:50 AM
Eric from midtown

JAILED JOURNALISTS! REMEMBER? SHOULDNT THIS BE DISCUSSED?

Sep. 03 2008 10:50 AM
DAVID from NYC

Watching both the Democrat and Republican convention the one thing in noticed was that the Republican convention audiance seems old and out of touch still holding on to old ideals and the past, and the Democrats seem vibrant, full of energy, wanting change and a brighter inclusive future for all americans.

Sep. 03 2008 10:46 AM

@4 Mei

Most people of the world believe that life begins at conception. They believe that abortion is the murder of a child.

They teach their children to abstain from sex until they are married and have formed a family.

When this fails, they encourage their child to keep the baby. This philosophy is 180 degrees opposed to the alternative -- the philosophy of the left? -- where sex is just a body function; and if a pregnancy results, one just dodges the "punishment" and sucks it out of the womb. ;)

Sep. 03 2008 10:46 AM

@11 Paul

There were lots of them; including not least the daughter that McCains' adopted from Bangladesh.

Of course, Obama feels that an unintended pregnancy -- read, child -- is a "punishment".

Can't top that!

Sep. 03 2008 10:40 AM
Paul Schwarz from White Plains

Encourage listeners to play "Where's Waldo?" while watching the Republican Convention. Try to find a minority face in the crowd. (Not including the podium)

Sep. 03 2008 10:23 AM
Talavera from Central Islip - Long Island, N.Y.

Aside from John McCain's honorable military service...
This man is not what the USA needs!!!
He will continue to drive this country in the direction we have been in for the past 8 years!!!! Enough is Enough!!!!!!!!
America Will Be Heard November 4th 2008...
OBAMA - 2008
THE REAL CHANGE WE ALL NEED!!!!!!!

Sep. 03 2008 10:20 AM
Erin from Manhattan

if the "drilling for oil" GOP thinks that accusations of sexism, media bias and dissing Barack are going win them the election, then they are sorely mistaken. There is no excuse for offering NO feasible policy positions (other than drilling for oil) on ANY issue (other than drilling for oil)!

Sep. 03 2008 10:12 AM
chris_52 from nyc

I’d like to put a stop to the comparisons between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama (Obama has children and no one questions HIS ability to run for office blah blah blah). The comparison is so far off the chart as to be ridiculous and yet it is repeated often and loud. For the record, having two healthy children who are on their way and a mother who, it appears, will be put her career on hold for the next 4-8 years is in no way similar to a woman with 5 children, including a special needs infant and a pregnant daughter. Shall we leave family matters alone? Okay, except for this: what does this say about Sarah Palin’s judgment? With so much on her plate, she chooses to run for national office. The political landscape is littered with *men* who have put their careers on hold. Who have had the good judgment to say either “Perhaps sometime, but not now” (as Al Gore did when he dropped out for a while after his son’s car accident) or who have simply walked away, refusing to put their family through campaign process (unlike Sarah Palin, who has basically thrown her daughter under the bus for the sake of her own ambition). I am not a born again anything, but we might all do well do heed this bit of advice: To everything, there is a season.

Sep. 03 2008 10:02 AM
Paulo from Paterson, New Jersey

I think that the one thing that can be determined about her character regarding her daughter's pregnancy is that, in spite of realizing that her daughter's private life was going to be thrust on a national and global stage, she went ahead and accepted the nomination anyway. We can have the debate about whether the media should be focusing on the private lives of politicians, but we all know that they will. This is nothing new. She knew exactly what would happen and had no trouble putting her personal ambition above her child's dignity.

Sep. 03 2008 09:42 AM
seth from Long Island

BRIAN - QUESTION FOR SPEAKER HASTERT

Speaker Hastert, in a previous radio interview on WLS' Don Wade & Roma Morning Show you said Sarah Palin is "the only person that’s a real American family person that’s come out in this election”.

1) Can you explain what criteria you used in order to conclude that Gov. Palin is the only candidate in this election who is “a real American family person”?
2) Can you explain what it is about Barack Obama’s personal biography that makes him less of a real American than Sarah Palin or John McCain?
3) Do you believe Gov. Palin’s husband is a real American family person even though he once belonged to a political party that favored Alaska’s secession from the United States?

Sources: http://progressillinois.com/2008/09/02/hastert-real-american-family, http://www.wlsam.com/Article.asp?id=867837&spid=17424

Sep. 03 2008 08:56 AM
Greg Blonder from NJ

Sadly, in this election we have to pay more attention to the choice of VP candidate than usual- for the oft repeated concern Obama might be assassinated, or McCain die mid-term.

But here's a question that may not be theoretical: If Obama were assassinated by some lunatic before the election (like Bobby Kennedy), I'd expect the Democratic party would suggest people vote for Hillary as a write-in. Its likely to be a close election, and its often confusing to write-in votes, so it's possible McCain could win the majority of the presidential ballots, and Biden the Vice-presidency!

The constitution originally envisioned filling the VP slot with the second place Presidential candidate (political parties are an ad hoc band aide wrapped around the minimalist constitution), so there is no Constitutional rule preventing a split party decision. Certainly the Supreme Court and Electoral College would have their say, but stranger things have happened.

Sep. 03 2008 08:49 AM
Mei from Brooklyn

I have been listening to NPR coverage of the GOP convention and am so frustrated that I haven't heard anyone ask how the Republican party and social conservatives like Palin can continue to justify their abstinence-only education stance, when even they cannot instill this "value" in their own children? How can they, how dare they, then deny funding, nationally and internationally, for comprehensive sex education? This is why this private family matter has larger repercussions and must be addressed. Brian, please ask someone about how this pregnancy fits into their abstinence-only stance!!

Sep. 03 2008 07:48 AM
eva

and don't forget, from today's New York Times, book banning. No, I'm not joking, it's in the New York Times:
"Shortly after becoming mayor, former city officials and Wasilla residents said, Ms. Palin approached the town librarian about the possibility of banning some books, though she never followed through and it was unclear which books or passages were in question.
Ann Kilkenny, a Democrat who said she attended every City Council meeting in Ms. Palin’s first year in office, said Ms. Palin brought up the idea of banning some books at one meeting. “They were somehow morally or socially objectionable to her,” Ms. Kilkenny said.
The librarian, Mary Ellen Emmons, pledged to “resist all efforts at censorship,” Ms. Kilkenny recalled. Ms. Palin fired Ms. Emmons shortly after taking office but changed course after residents made a strong show of support. Ms. Emmons, who left her job and Wasilla a couple of years later, declined to comment for this article.
In 1996, Ms. Palin suggested to the local paper, The Frontiersman, that the conversations about banning books were “rhetorical.”

Sep. 03 2008 02:39 AM
eva

Ayo,
You're probably not the only one of us wondering about that.
But ask not how this story could get weirder. Things can always get weirder. E.g., some of the recent things things we've learned about S. Palin in the last few days:
1) Washington Post reports that Palin cut funding for teen moms who needed a place to live:
2) Her church sponsored a Jews for Jesus sermon in which anti-Israeli terrorism was explained as God's punishment of Jews for their failure to convert:
3) Ties, now denied, with secessionist Alaska Independent Party.
I wonder how long it will take for her to bow out due to the needs of her family.
To think, they could have had Romney. Meanwhile, even those who found Obama unpalatable are beginning to look at him in a new light....

Sep. 03 2008 02:29 AM
Ayo from Brooklyn

Brian, Please ask some about the possible racial tone to the pregnant Sarah Palin daughter issues. For years republicans have blamed the welfare issues on pregnant, out-of wedlock, black teenagers. African American teens and other minorities have been vilified for doing the same thing Bristol Palin did. Bristol, however, is considered a hero by the republicans (and the media) for making "the right decision". If this was to happen to the Obama daughters (if they were of the age), the republicans would scream about how this is just another example of the lack of "family values" amongst dems and blacks. I am absolute sure that this is the way it would play out.

Back to issues... Sarah Palin "stood up to the oil companies" by imposing significant tax increases on them so she can have more dollars for the state of Alaska. Isn't Obama proposing the same thing for the entire country and the republicans are opposing it? Why is it good for Alaska but not the rest of the country? Maybe Ms. Palin has already removed Alaska from the U.S. of A.

Sep. 03 2008 01:52 AM