New York City Parking Rules Now on an Online Map

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 01:30 PM

WNYC

Now let it be told, New York City residents can find out street parking regulations by clicking on the New York DOT online parking sign map.

If you go to the map and click on the parking sign, you can see, in plain text form, what the rules are for that block.

The map also shows DOT's street condition assessments -- most are "good" -- as well as surfacing information.

On my browser, the map had an annoying habit of blowing up any time I requested information, but so far as I could tell, the info seems to be accurate.

And of course, it doesn't tell you where you'll find a spot. For that, try roadify.com.

Reviews?

Tags:

Evangelos from fed up street.

As with almost anything, Let government do it and they will make a mess of things! Imagine all the wasted money for this worthless map!!!

Dec. 02 2014 07:26 AM

They must've worked on this site recently. I found it to be a great help.

First, zoom in using the +- scale on the left & move the map to the area you want to see by clicking & dragging it.

Then check the box on the upper right in the GIS layers box to show parking signs. You'll see them appear on the map.

Each symbol can be multiple signs so be sure to click the link in the banner of the little pop-up that says show # signs. They'll all appear in the pop up but they also appear in the GIS layers box on the right which is easier to read.

Much better than driving around looking for which blocks you can park on. Should be a big time saver. Thanks WNYC for bringing it to our attention!

Guys... Please try to submit positive comments. Name calling & griping don't help any of us. Thanks

Jul. 19 2014 03:24 PM
vb

To have it work, you must turn on the parking signs layer. This zooms the map all the way in and shows the location of the parking signs. If you zoom out, even just a little, it turns off the layer so move the map to the area you want and then turn it on to have it zoom way in again.
Then you must click the ( i ) tool in the toolbar (2nd from right), your mouse icon turns into a ? and then you can click on a sign and it will show you the text. If there is more than one sign on the same spot, then it will show on the right side under "Identify result" the text of the other signs.
It's a pretty horrible user experience, but it does work.

Jul. 18 2014 03:34 PM

A map does not come up when you click on "parking sign map." This website is worthless. I also miss Primospot.

Jul. 07 2014 10:47 AM
AJ123 from NYC

Agree with previous posters - totally worthless - when I tried to put in an address I kept getting 'no address matchin Manahttan'...even when I put in the example they had 55 Water Street. Complete waste of our tax dollars yet again.

Mar. 23 2014 08:40 AM
Reese from Queens

Another piece of crap that probably cost the taxpayers $90M, try and put in a cross st. or address, all you'll get is "No address found" - Worthless!

Mar. 08 2014 05:53 PM
NickN from Crown Heights

Blank, blank, blank. Bummer. Poor legacy, Data Mayor Bloomberg! Janky GIS interface, anyway. DiBlasio should just hire the Primo guys. Then maybe my tax dollars would do some work that works.

Mar. 03 2014 10:57 AM
nanobi

It seems to work for me. I tried location search along with parking signs. Be sure to use the Identify Tool.

Browsers: IE, Firefox

I am curious to whether this info can be integrated with other ArcGIS maps.

Jan. 28 2014 06:33 PM
Robin from Manhattan

Jan. 2014 - this map doesn't work. It blows up and then doesn't' display any signs.

why oh why did Primospot close down!

Jan. 24 2014 11:09 AM
Sandra from Brooklyn

I need PRIMO now. This site is so bad that even the civil servants should be embarrassed.

Jan. 15 2014 08:20 AM
Shana from SI

It's blank!!! Is there any other site I can use for alternate side. I work in homecare and drive all over the place this would be a great tool if it worked.

Jan. 03 2014 11:28 AM
Larry Berezin

Dear Jackie from the Bronx,

Good afternoon.
If you're searching for the NYC Department of Transportation Parking Regulations Map, here's the link...http://www.nycdot.info/?&__hssc=&__hstc&hsCtaTracking=3efa03ee-de9f-4969-9af5-85d1b896cc40%7C4f75ed13-0e6b-4555-af37-ef06a4c0aad8

Park safely.
Best,
Larry

Dec. 20 2013 03:42 PM
Jackie from Bronx

Let's call 311 to see if we can find out what happened to this map.

Dec. 19 2013 11:03 AM
Peter Quinn from 11577

all i get is an " access denied " message..Primo was a great website...Damn you NYC !

Dec. 06 2013 12:46 PM
Jane

Has anyone used parkpalnyc.com for street parking information and do you know what happened to the site? I had used this site for over a year. Then a couple of months ago, I could no longer access that site and could not find what happened to it on google. It was great for finding streets to park my car when visiting Manhattan. From the comments about the NYC DOT online parking sign map, that site does not appear to be as user friendly as the parkpalnyc site.

Dec. 04 2013 08:02 PM
chuck

Tried to get times when street/munimeter parking is legal. Got nothing from map links but
"403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.
You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied."

Who designed this site? Obamacare techs?

Nov. 21 2013 04:11 PM
Stanley Weinstein from Bardonia

Info in the Ft. Washington park area has been wrong for a good long time now.
Do these comments get back to the agency with responsibility for correcting bad info?

Nov. 04 2013 08:31 AM
Rob from e. 86th

This new parking site has yet to work at all for me. I enter a location, and nothing happens. Screen stays blank. I've tried with several different browsers, enabled popups, tried a variety of things that might be preventing this from working, but nothin'. Wish I still had Primo. This one is useless.

Oct. 16 2013 05:11 PM
Lauren

This site is incredibly non-user-friendly. The Primospot site was simple and only took moments to use--it's a real loss not to have it.

Oct. 15 2013 06:48 PM
Jessbooks

Primo was SO much better than this site, which is hard to use and doesn't have an app for use on one's smartphone. I guess NYC wll have an easier time giving citations when it's harder for people to figure out where and when to park.

Oct. 14 2013 05:10 PM
Richard DaCosta from 139 16 28th rd flushing ny 11354

My name is Richard DaCosta I live in Flushing NY CB 7. I work for the DOE as a Substance Abuse Prevention/Intervention Specialist level 3 for almost 30 years. I did Youth Street Outreach for 20 years also in CB 7. I bought a Airstream 22 ft. travel trailer that is registered and always attached to my pickup truck. The Airstream and truck are none commercial. Monday is alternate side of the street parking from 9-10:30 am. Every Monday I drive my truck and trailer around the block while the street cleaner comes by to clean the street. I can not find and laws saying that I can not park my truck and airstream as long as they are attached. 311, DOT, and the 109th can not find any laws stating I can't park. I was told by the 311 to contact my Community Board for the right answer. Can anyone on the board please help me with this issues because everyday I am worried that my truck and Airstream will be towed. My Airstream cost 80.000 and the truck was 40.000. Every day i have people telling me that they are going to have truck and Airstream towed because its taking two parking spots. I am asking, is it legal to park? Please get back to me.

Aug. 13 2013 03:09 PM
Lou DeMaio from Manhattan

I found the NYCDOT map of parking regulations very useful yet dificult to navigate. I was able draw line around a specific area and then see a listing of all signs within the highlighted area. I could then select (or click) on a sign from the list to see where it is located. Would be much nicer if an icon of each sign appeared on the map and you selected the sign icon to see what it says.

Although dificult to use, I was able to determine the parking rules in a specific area so - mission accomplished.

Aug. 01 2013 10:21 AM
Daniel Rodriguez from york avenue and 68 street

Parking schedule?

Jul. 06 2013 05:53 AM
Diane Wachtell

I just spent a long time wrestling with the NYCDOT map of parking regulations and was never able to get useful info off it. After much struggle, it let me draw a line around an arbitrarily shaped area, and then listed all the signs in that area without telling me which sign said what. Have you been able to do better than this? It would be such a great resource if it worked...Thanks!

Dec. 19 2012 10:20 AM