DNC Coverage: Hour 2

Friday, August 29, 2008

Ross Douthat, senior editor and columnist for The Atlantic Monthly, and Collin Levy, Wall Street Journal senior editorial page writer, react to Obama's speech and preview the Republican National Convention.

Ross Douthat’s Blog

Then
Dr. Paul Ekman, director of the Paul Ekman Group, explains how to interpret micro-expressions to better understand emotions and distinguish truth from lies.

Then
Humorist and blogger Mo Rocca talks about his experiences at the Democratic National Convention and shares his thoughts about Barack Obama's speech.

Then
Patrick Forgey, state government reporter for the Juneau Empire, on the announcement that Alaska Governor Sarah Palin is Senator McCain's choice for vice president.

Ross Douthat, Paul Ekman, Patrick Forgey, Collin Levy and Mo Rocca

Ed McQueen from Miami, FL

"This is a tragic attempt to pit women against blacks..." Yeah, and "Inside Job" and "there are aliens at Area 51 and "AIDS was invented by the CIA".

I lived in NYC when Hillary came carpet bagging in with little to no experience. Where was your women against blacks then.

I thought Leo's were lions not pussies.

Aug. 30 2008 10:49 PM
Yoichi Hariguchi from Sunnyvale, CA

Ross and Collin said it is difficult for Obama to criticize Palin's inexperience, but I disagree.

It is actually easy. McCain had been strongly advocated that Obama is not ready for President because of his inexperience. Now he says she is ready for President. Ask him to explain.

It is obvious that he chose her not based of governing but based on polls.

Aug. 30 2008 10:10 AM
Dave from New Orleans, Louisiana

John McCain sees Obama's weakest point as the Clintonistas that have declared opposition to the Obama campaign because Clinton will not be on the ticket. McCain's shrewd if cynical choice of Sarah Palin is bait for those who demand that a woman, ANY woman, be on the winning ticket.

We all know McCain's old. He'll probably die before he completes his first term, from old age if nothing else. Therefore, his VP choice is the person his supporters will really be voting for. Palin strikes right at Obama's Achilles heel-the angry Clintonistas.

Aug. 29 2008 05:37 PM
Jon from Astoria

QUIT PICKING ON BRIAN- he's out of town, living in a cube in a crummy part of Denver, eating bad food and barely sleeping all week. He's probably constipated and cranky, you would be too.

Sorry, it just makes me angry to see some people's negative comments. If you don't like Mo Rocca and Eckman, fine, but do you have to insult Brian Lehrer? I get so much pleasure out of listening to him and his show.

A Brian fan

Aug. 29 2008 03:11 PM

seth and hjs,
I'm signing off. I seriously agree with Seth that it will be close. Very close, and it looks like Palin is more useful from a conservative-christian point of view than from a disaffected HRC diehard point of view.
But I seriously hope this will be less of a nailbiter for both of you BECAUSE you will be actively involved in the campaign, right?
Right?
I hope so.
I haven't finished reading about Palin, but it appears she's a creationist? Woof. I mean, I go to church, but I like to keep it separate from my politics and my science.
Anyway, have a good weekend, but please, no nailbiting at home. Rest up and then dig into the work, to whatever degree you can.

Aug. 29 2008 02:50 PM
hjs from 11211

seth
ps
but no cake walk by any means

Aug. 29 2008 02:36 PM
hjs from 11211

seth
i do. people will look at this woman and say "what?? who do they think they are fooling"
lack of experience plus not ready for prime time. can't wait.

Aug. 29 2008 02:33 PM
seth from Long Island

Nothing would make me happier than Palin having to withdraw from the ticket because of an ethics or corruption scandal.

But seriously, this trooper scandal sounds as trivial to me as having been nailed for possession of overdue library books.

Aug. 29 2008 02:31 PM
seth from Long Island

hjs #122

Are you really feeling better about Obama's chances after the announcement of Palin as the VP nominee? I still think this race will be a nailbiter. I hope the positive buzz McCain gets from the wow factor dies down quickly and Obama can find a way to regain the momentum.

Aug. 29 2008 02:22 PM
Joe from New Haven

Re: Palin
How could anyone who has lived on this planet for the past 8 years question whether or not the VP position is "productive"? Bush's VP office (Cheney / Addington)have spent the past 8 years aggressively setting the foreign policy of this country, building the "imperial presidency" and torturing the constitution while Bush cleared brush and kissed babyies and Saudis.
Will Addington be Palin's chief council?

Aug. 29 2008 02:00 PM
hjs from 11211

pre dem
would u prefer living in the dark ages or the 21st century?

Aug. 29 2008 01:55 PM
Pre Democrate from SC

I am demorat until this year but I am changing my party because Obama is not honest and lies all the time. Hilary would have been bater choice over BO. Th only reason BO won nomination because DNC party leaders like old GOAT Kennedy and others had endorsed him during primary. I wanted to votefor McCAin but now that he has selected unknown candidate for VP I am confuse who is worst of the these two.

Aug. 29 2008 01:37 PM
eva

Thanks for the substantive reality check, Bonnie. It's appreciated.

Aug. 29 2008 12:49 PM

hjs,
I love it. McCain's Angels.
But I disagree - if Condi weren't fluffy, how would we have managed to have bleeped up Georgia? The Soviet Union and Russia were her fields of "expertise."
She's fluffy, hjs, she's just simultaneously doggy.

Aug. 29 2008 12:47 PM
Bonnie Rothman from Staten Island

The Republicans and the media spent months trashing and belittling and undercutting Hillary Clinton as a presidential candidate in no small measure because she wasn't user friendly but not generally because she wasn't qualified. Now they both expect that women will be wowed by the choice of a woman who is both inexperienced and young to be VP for an aging candidate? Oh, yeah, make no mistake: this is the choice not of a "maverick" but of a man who is desperate for a way out of his connection to Bush and to all of the Republican failed and failing policies. The media and the pundits will now spend the next week talking about how "brilliant" this choice is, but what I see is a pathetic kind of May-December marriage of convenience. Jeez! This woman was even a Beauty contest winner. All of her positives including her union bona fides will be trotted out to show how the Republicans are for the little guy and none of the pundits will point out how all of their policies generally work against people like her. She is a prime example of the kind of person who has been least served by the Republican Party. I'm sure she is a sincere person but her choice is one of pure cynicism.

Aug. 29 2008 12:46 PM
Ron Poole-Dayan from Bronx

Palin = gimmick

Aug. 29 2008 12:42 PM
hjs from 11211

i see a mccain's angels spoof : cindy, sarah, and who should be the 3rd?? condi comes to mind but jon is more confortable with fluffy women.

Aug. 29 2008 12:34 PM
America Wins with Palin from NYorkistan

We will be blessed with a spectacle of immages...

Erkel on bike with dorky helmet vs. Palin...OMG! She was on the cover of Vogue!

Palin touching foreheads with her beloved husband vs. Obamas' toothy-grinning "fist bump"

Palin in an Army T-shirt vs. Obama at a code pink rally!!!

Aug. 29 2008 12:31 PM
seth from Long Island

I can't wait to see Chris Matthews interview Sarah Palin.

In addition to the heat Matthews took for comments he made about Hillary Clinton, he's also been criticized for telling some female guests how beautiful they are.

Aug. 29 2008 12:27 PM
eva

#126 - the lie detector was invented by a comic book writer. The man who wrote "Wonder Woman." And that, too, is an extremely misused and overly trusted device.
Media training is big business. That I will grant you.
Sometimes, anonyme, things seem to make sense, but it doesn't have anything to do with reality. That's why Galileo was dropping things off of buildings - to show that common sense conclusions should be tested - and in doing so, we often find that common sense isn't sufficient.
I'm not dissing common sense, but why diss the scientific method? Why accept things only because they "make sense" to you, personally?

Aug. 29 2008 12:25 PM
anonyme from manhattan

Hugh if we waited for "science" to verify so many observations (years) you'd never be able to read a novel, because nobody could write one, because their observations/characters would not be given an imprimatur from science. Media training is big business and it works, and has for decades!

Or ask a director, actor, painter... or look for yourself to see if what he says makes any sense.

Aug. 29 2008 12:20 PM

#124,
And what's with your fetish for Greco-Roman wrestling and female aptitude with shooting?
With regard to the Greek columns, it's an obvious link - the first democracy.
Messianic fetish? Because people want to turn out to see a real leader? Would you say the same of FDR? If people demand to see you, you're obliged to show up - and to provide seats for everyone who wants to come with....

Aug. 29 2008 12:20 PM
America Wins with Palin from NYorkistan

@eva

"What's the line? We display most loudly on the outside what we lack within?"

LOL

It's well known that people of Obama's ilk load up on Ivy League degrees and other accolades as a way of "compensating". (I know: I did it too! See! I'm smart!) And what is it with all his Greco-Roman temple and messianic fetishes?

The most accurate image of him is the one where he has that cigarette hanging out of him mouth -- like smoking Erkel!

...this is so fun!

Aug. 29 2008 12:13 PM
seth from Long Island

The past 24 hours reminds me of a cross between a 3 dimensional chess game and a classic baseball or football game.

Obama gets lots of positive reviews for a powerful speech and the grand scale backdrop of a packed football stadium.

McCain counters with an unknown woman for his VP running mate. Even if she's not the most qualified VP choice, her selection knocks Obama's speech right off the charts because of the WOW factor.
I pray that McCain's choice blows up right in his face.

Aug. 29 2008 12:11 PM
hjs from 11211

i think obama will win now.
macain is old and everyone has on their mind, he might die within four years and no one wants palin as pres.
thanks gop you did everything wrong for 8 years.

Aug. 29 2008 12:09 PM

#115,
the funnier image marries #111, with a squadron of images suggested by #113, noisily jumping up and down with guns, in some kind of unstated audition for a remake of "Deliverance."
What's the line? We display most loudly on the outside what we lack within?

Aug. 29 2008 12:06 PM
hjs from 11211

norm
how can one do that, no one know Palin 2 hours ago?

Aug. 29 2008 12:04 PM
Colin Young from Brooklyn, NY

Despite the main stream media blackout about their historical first all women of color ticket, I would think that disgruntled Hillary democratic supporters would be more likely to vote for for Democratic liberal firebrand Cynthia McKinney and her running mate Rosa Clemente, rather than voting for McCain because he's chosen the Governor of a tiny (from a population standpoint) out of the way state.

Aug. 29 2008 12:03 PM
mc from Brooklyn

Bob #104 - LOL!

I have to go. Just when it's getting fun. Gawd, this is addictive.

Happy Labor Day everyone.

Pray Gustav does not hit New O.

Aug. 29 2008 12:02 PM
Norm from qns

Does anyone else think John McCain has just totally given up? This seems psychedelically stupid!

Aug. 29 2008 12:02 PM
Carol from Chatham, NJ

Sarah who? Someone with no national or foreign affairs experience? Is she supposed to appeal to the disaffected Hillary supporters? She's pro-life and doesn't hold a candle to Hillary and her accomplishments. Given McCain's age, shouldn't we be even more concerned about his VP choice?

Aug. 29 2008 12:01 PM
chris o from new york city

111- Nice image, perfect.

Aug. 29 2008 12:00 PM
Norm from qns

hjs it's called producing in advance of a story

Aug. 29 2008 12:00 PM
America Wins with Palin from NYorkistan

I'll bet Palin could wipe the floor with Obama and Biden -- two on one!

Wrestling -- any form of grappling, for that matter -- boxing, shooting...you name it, she would kick their tails!

Heck, I'll bet that Biden & Obama don't even know what end the boolet goes in!

Aug. 29 2008 12:00 PM
Michele (NOT Mrs. Obama!) from Queens, NY

I also vote for no mo' Mo.

Did anyone think that Steve Earl was a wasted segment, too? They didn't even know Earl was NOT in Denver yet going to St. Paul.

All the "good" guests probably left town or are on airplanes already, while BL and crew are stuck at that La Quinta.

Aug. 29 2008 11:59 AM
John from Brooklyn

With his pick of Sarah Palin, one can see John McCain jumping up and down and saying, "I am too a maverick! I am too! I am too! I am too! I am too!

Desperation move.

Aug. 29 2008 11:59 AM
Susan Schneider from Chatham NJ

Palin is perfect. Seems to me her having been a beauty pageant contestant is all you need to know about the ticket's and the party's attitude toward women. These are not the actions of a woman who values woman's rights.

Aug. 29 2008 11:58 AM
Mo from Leaving Denver with a pink purse

Condaleeze Rice: Just add chicken stock or water, cover and dinners ready!

Aug. 29 2008 11:58 AM
hjs from 11211

bob 98
this is a breaking story.

Aug. 29 2008 11:58 AM
CYNICAL GUY from BRONX

OKAY LET'S TURN ON RUSH NOW AND HERE THE PURPLE COOLAIDE!

Aug. 29 2008 11:57 AM

Caller is right.
Palin is new the Condi Rice. But, uh, hotter. Lots hotter.
Which, ironically, may not work for McCain.

Aug. 29 2008 11:56 AM
CYNICAL GUY from BRONX

WILL PALIN WEAR BANANA YELLOW OR PUMPKIN ORANGE TRAFFIC CONE COLOR PANTS SUITS?????????????????????????
DISCUSS.

Aug. 29 2008 11:56 AM

100:mc: MSLSD

Aug. 29 2008 11:55 AM
David from Queens

Sarah Palin = Dan Quayle. She's also 100% owned subsidiary of exon mobil and McCain into her so he can match Obama's money lead with Oil Money funneled to his Campain.

Aug. 29 2008 11:55 AM
SuzanneNYC from Upper West Side

Well the previous segment makes Mo Rocca look like high discourse. The entire Greek Temple kerfuffle turned into absolutely nothing once you saw it. It looked like something made out of Legos. And one thing no one has mentioned is that the image televised during his speech was Obama standing in front of what looked like a window. There were no columns at all.

Aug. 29 2008 11:54 AM
mc from Brooklyn

Sheryl #71,
Did you catch the cackling pen with Hillary's head that Dave Shuster presented to Tucker Carlson?

One of the reasons I no longer watch MSNBC.

Aug. 29 2008 11:54 AM

Ferraro you witch!

Aug. 29 2008 11:54 AM
Bob from nyc

I'd like to hear a show where they just take Wikipedia and put it through a computer voice reader. So we could hear background on Sarah Palin and others. Then we wouldn't need hosts.

Aug. 29 2008 11:53 AM

[79] America Wins with Palin from NYorkistan
August 29, 2008 - 11:48AM
search YouTube for this:
"McCain - Palin 08 - The Team You Can Trust"
now that is GUN CONTROL I can live with...she doesn't even flinch as she looks thru that red dot site (Aimpoint Comp M4?) and squeezes off a burst!!
there are gonna be AWESOME t-shirts!!! I'm getting the "baby Ts" for all of my lady friends! ;)"

See what I mean? This pick was not accurately aimed at the die-hard HRC supporters. It is aimed at horny men. I'ts not that die-hard HRC supporters are on the other end of the spectrum from the poster I quoted above - THEY'RE ON AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT SPECTRUM.

Aug. 29 2008 11:53 AM
Ayanna from Brooklyn, NY

I am disappointed in Brian's coverage of the convention. He seems to try to work the Clintons into every sentence, even when it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. And what's with having one of these kooky "body language readers" as a guest? Is he for real?

Aug. 29 2008 11:53 AM
seth from Long Island

With Paul Eckman and Mo Rocca back to back, Brian is mailing it in bigtime today. He should have devoted more time to serious discussion of Obama's speech and Palin being selected.

Shame on you Brian for insulting the intelligence of your listeners. You're simply offering filler material.

Aug. 29 2008 11:51 AM
Sherry from Jersey City

Not funny! Leaving Mo to VH1 would make it the best week ever.

Aug. 29 2008 11:51 AM
ab

No more Mo Rocco...please....

Aug. 29 2008 11:51 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

man this guy will go over big in minnie...he should do Prarie Home Companion

Aug. 29 2008 11:51 AM

Very inciteful on the Gail Oprah bond

Aug. 29 2008 11:50 AM
Gail from nyc

Wow. Oprah people went bonkers. Hmmm.

Aug. 29 2008 11:50 AM
Michele (NOT Mrs. Obama!) from Queens, NY

You have no idea how small postures or habits can make someone look like an idiot. It's those things that can distract one from serious content.

Because I've been severely near-sighted since I was a kid, I always had a habit of lowering my chin and looking up at people when listening to them, even when they were at eye level. I continued this even after I got glasses and contacts in adulthood. This made me, frankly, look pretty evil. I looked like a devil-woman conspiring to kill you!

I'm so thankful that someone finally told me this, because unbeknownst to me, it was very off-putting, especially when I needed to make presentations or teach classes.

Now, I make a conscious effort to raise my chin, relax my eyelids and have my face facing forward when listening to people.

Aug. 29 2008 11:50 AM

53] Ben Thompson from NYC area
August 29, 2008 - 11:35AM
If the embittered gals vote for Palin, they'll be dumping the older woman for the younger one. Oh, what to do...

That's my thoroughly unscientific point. They'll have to join John McCain, already (unfairly) excoriated for dumping his first wife for younger, sexier model. They will be reinforcing his behavior by rewarding him for picking Palin. Who is, as noted on the previous page of posts, hot. Alas, it's going to mitigate the effect. Look at the die-hards demographically. McCain's pick wasn't aimed at them - it was, no doubt inadvertently, aimed at guys. If he was aiming for the HRC die-hards, he would have picked an older woman, and, to put it indelicately, a woman who is respectably presentable, good bone structure, but a little heavy, and decidedly not sexy.

Aug. 29 2008 11:49 AM
Lisa from bklyn

The way you tell roman vs. greek is by analyzing the finials.

Aug. 29 2008 11:49 AM
Steven from New York

Please stop encouraging Mo Rocca...he's not funny. Jeez. Is anyone else tired of this guy?

Aug. 29 2008 11:48 AM
America Wins with Palin from NYorkistan

search YouTube for this:
"McCain - Palin 08 - The Team You Can Trust"

Aug. 29 2008 11:48 AM
Lisa from bklyn

I feel from the tonal frequencies in the 228 mghz range that basically they were all lying.

Aug. 29 2008 11:44 AM
SuzanneNYC from Upper West Side

Eva: With you.

Aug. 29 2008 11:44 AM
Har from nyc

I heard from the way the child spoke, that she wanted candy. She was mainly interested in cartoons, and somehow she sounded verry very young to me.

Aug. 29 2008 11:44 AM
Billy Bob from nyc

Someone should snap that finger off Bill Clinton.

Aug. 29 2008 11:42 AM
Brian from NYC

Ekman is, at best, a disingenuous researcher, and an outright academic fraud at worst. While he has conducted vast research on the face, and facial micro-expressions, there is no support whatsoever for their use as a reliable lie detection tool.

The Dept. of Homeland Security, sadly, has funneled vast funds to the Ekman Group in order to train security screeners in reading facial expressions (the SPOT program), when the research for applied uses of micro-expressions doesn't remotely support his claims.

In fact, there was research recently published which debunked the claim that his training procedures can improve lie-detection abilities whatsoever. (Porter & Brinke, 2008)

Aug. 29 2008 11:42 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Someone who spoke earlier in the convention made a similar slip, but I can't remember who. It came across as funnier. Anyone remember?

Aug. 29 2008 11:42 AM
Sheryl from bronx

How about Hilary cackling? Can you analyze that for us on a loop?

Aug. 29 2008 11:41 AM
Bob from nyc

Can this guy analyze Obamas brother in the shack?

Aug. 29 2008 11:41 AM
David from Queens

You should invite Dr Ekman to one of the WNYC singles events. Maybe for a donation, he will will observe others reactions to members.

Aug. 29 2008 11:40 AM
Bob from nyc

I think the way her nails were formed and angled in on each other sometimes rotating clockwise; sometimes counterclockwise was an absolutely 100 percent guarantee that none of her handmotions could not be planned!

Aug. 29 2008 11:40 AM
SuzanneNYC from Upper West Side

This segment is totally ridiculous. With all that there is to talk about -- this is the best you could do? Michelle Obaman's eyebrows and forehead?? Brian: Can we do this at home? Me: I hope not.

Aug. 29 2008 11:40 AM

#48, Seth,
I get your point, but I don't buy it.
I think the double-headed image of Cindy and Palin is going to unnerve them the closer election day comes.
I happen to like Cindy, but Palin and Cindy are going to seem TOO similar, which just plays into the ugh, too-oft-reported story of McCain passing over his first, "fat" wife for the babelicious (and wealthy) Cindy.
(Personally, I do not judge McCain for leaving his first wife, because I think post-captivity soldiers returning to civilian life would have a LOT of issues in the first few years, and that would no doubt affect their marriages.)
Don't forget, we're talking about die-hards who were threatening to vote for McCain based not on policy, but on sentiment.
That sentiment can work both ways.

Aug. 29 2008 11:40 AM

nyorkistan lol

Aug. 29 2008 11:39 AM
mc from Brooklyn

eva #46,
I hope you are right about this type of HRC supporter. I'm afraid, tho' that seth #48 may be right. If someone is that irrational they may just go with it. Sigh! I can't unpack that kind of thinking so I just don't know.

Ron #51,
Not sure what you mean, but I think during the primaires he had surragate pit-bulls doing it for him. This may not work against McCain because McCain uses the same tactic.

Aug. 29 2008 11:39 AM
Bob from nyc

Huh. Her hands were large. And frequent.

Aug. 29 2008 11:38 AM

She sounds fake to me.

Aug. 29 2008 11:38 AM
CB

This guy sure is an expert ... an expert on describing the obvious!

And I wondered about that Freudian slip of Biden's ... I saw the exact same "slip" made more than once.

Aug. 29 2008 11:38 AM
America Wins with Palin from NYorkistan

there are great youTube clips of Palin at a range with an M4 carbine (yes, a full auto M16 variant)

Hot! Hot! Hot!

Aug. 29 2008 11:37 AM
Priya from DUMBO

Oh please, that Freudian slip moment was planned. He just practiced it very well.

Aug. 29 2008 11:37 AM

Sure unwittingly sure.

Aug. 29 2008 11:37 AM
Bob from nyc

Sure you could plan that. Cmon who is this guy?

Aug. 29 2008 11:37 AM
Bob from nyc

Yes, this all seems verrrrrrrrrrrrry scientifffffffffffffic to me.

Aug. 29 2008 11:36 AM
Eric from B'klyn

Your guest's thoughts on the "Enough!"

Aug. 29 2008 11:35 AM
Ron Mwangaguhunga from Brooklyn

Hillary Clinton seemed particulary stunned that someone as "inexperienced" as Obama was actually beating her in the primaries. Does she use any micro-expressions during the debates that highlight those raw and all-too-human emotions?

Aug. 29 2008 11:35 AM
Ben Thompson from NYC area

Aug. 29 2008 11:35 AM
jawbone from Parsippany, NJ

One problem with the Obama campaign going after Palin's elected executive positions is that, yes, he was on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. And he was given an important subcommittee to chair.

But he did not hold one meeting or any hearings of that subcommittee until April of this year, and after it had been noted that he had not held any meetings or hearings (because, he said, he was busy running for president), when some nominations were voted on and then he had another meeting in July at Biden's request. Biden said that he had covered everything important pertaining to Obama's subcommittee, so no worry.

Except if I handled my job that way I would be downrated and possibly let go. It appears Obama was given a position to pad his resume--and no one expected him to actually do any work on it!

So, not a good thing to bring up. The response will focus on Palin actually doing her job (providing she did), and then comparing that to Obama's "work" as subcommittee chair.

Now, if the MCM (Mainstream Corporate Media) has decided to work on Obama's side (as it did for Bush the Younger) and use all the little tricks which create doubt about a candidate's abiities and character and lessen enthusiasm, then it won't matter if McCain counters with that argument. The MCM will barely report it.

(See Bob Somerby's DailyHowler.com for his long running analysis of how the MCM has treated (mostly) Dem politicians.)

Aug. 29 2008 11:35 AM
Ron Mwangaguhunga from Brooklyn

Obama seems uncomfortable being the pit-bull/ attack dog against Hillary and against camoaign. Does he use any micro-expressions that highlight that tempermental lack of pit-bullishness?

Aug. 29 2008 11:33 AM
Hugh from Brooklyn

Is Paul Ekman claiming to be doing science?!

He just mentioned an awful lot of variables for a scientific analysis -- certainly not quantifiable.

Convenient for Mr. Ekman to make claims that few if any can challenge when he and only a few others can claim expertise.

Aug. 29 2008 11:33 AM
Steve (the other one) from Manhattan

brian - maybe you can interview this guy next week - gassed and jailed by Denver police:

Aug. 29 2008 11:33 AM
seth from Long Island

#25 eva,

I beg to differ with you. After a long, brutal fight between Obama and Clinton, I think there's a lot of raw emotion still at play. Many women feel Hillary was trashed by the media and Obama because of her gender. I don't think it's a stretch at all to suggest that some older women who will gladly vote for McCain/Palin.
I think the Palin choice has the potential to be a huge game changer for McCain.

Aug. 29 2008 11:31 AM
mc from Brooklyn

eva,
Careful of the WSJ editorial board. They endorsed Obama's health plan.

Aug. 29 2008 11:31 AM

#39,
mc, howdy.
Yes, but I was referring to the embittered die-hards who want to go down with the ship, not former HRC supporters now voting for Barack.
Like the very angry delegate who could not stop screaming on NPR about how angry she was about Obama. I have a weird feeling she's not the type to be wooed by Palin. Just a guess.

Aug. 29 2008 11:31 AM
Zak from Brooklyn, NY

IF, as President Clinton says, choosing a running mate is the first Presidential Decision a candidate can make, here's the box score:

Obama: 1-1, HR
McCain: 0-1, K (looking)

Aug. 29 2008 11:30 AM
hjs from 11211

eva
but some of these women libers were talking about voting mccain before.

Aug. 29 2008 11:30 AM
chris o from new york city

Thanks, hjs, I think.

I am bald but sometimes let my hair down, emboldened by my ideological adversaries on this board to be mischievous.

Aug. 29 2008 11:29 AM
Stephen from Manhattan

Brian,
You should have rebutted the inaccurate comment by Collin Levy, Wall Street Journal senior editorial page writer, that Obama is a huge liberal in terms of government programs and spending. Tell her to read the article by John Leonhardt in the August 24 Sunday Times Magazine, "How Obama Reconciles Dueling Views on Economy," before bloviating on Obama.

Stephen in Manhattan

Aug. 29 2008 11:29 AM

#38, Suzanne:

Right? I love it...

Aug. 29 2008 11:28 AM
Zak from Brooklyn, NY

#24:

I'm sorry...but a decade of State Senate service in Illinois, the fifth most populace state and the anchor of its region, followed by four years in the US Senate constitutes a great deal more experience than two years of being a governor in the forgotten frontier state, preceded by serving on the city council of a town of 5,000 people. I'm sure she's got plenty of experience debating such important issues as moose hunting licenses and laws regarding the use of snow tires, but THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENCY!

Aug. 29 2008 11:27 AM
mc from Brooklyn

chris o #28,
I asked about the US Senate.

eva, #25
Gentle reminder. Some people (women included) supported her because her economic polices are more progressive than BHO's IMHO.

America Wins et.al #26
LOL at all of it. I can't wait for the show to begin.

Aug. 29 2008 11:26 AM
SuzanneNYC from Upper West Side

Not easy to attack a woman??? What just happened to Hillary? How do Democrats go about making the argument about her inexperience?? After last night? This is not a strong choice. And after reading something about her I doubt it will do anything to attract the center. Who are these people trying to make her seem like a bold exicting pick. Oh, the Wall Street Journal editorial board. Ridiculous.

Aug. 29 2008 11:24 AM
Jenny from Tennessee

Obama and Biden don't need to argue that Palin doesn't have enough experience; McCain's pick simply means that McCain can't make that (up till now incessant) argument without the Dems coming back and pointing to Palin.

Aug. 29 2008 11:24 AM
Yes I Am from Manhattan

#27 Leo says:

"no known opinions on virtually anything!"

That sounds familiar...

Oh yes.

The Senator from Illinois that voted 'present' nearly 130 times in the Illinois State Senate.

Aug. 29 2008 11:24 AM
chris o from new york city

What I find funny and can't help notice is the right wingers who tend to have no integrity on these matters praising Palin as bold etc. The "ready to be President" charge is now off the table. Perhaps Bill Clinton's full-throated endorsement pressured McCain to Palin, realizing the experience argument was dead.

Aug. 29 2008 11:23 AM

Seth,
on second thought, you might be right on your "yes" comment, but my intuition says it will be far from automatic.
Then again, the die-hard tendency to cut off one's nose to spite one's face... it's so tempting for them.
This could work in a much more complicated way, with those who immediately flock to Palin having serious second thoughts before November.

Aug. 29 2008 11:23 AM
hjs from 11211

chris o 14
LOL
and people say i'm too much

Aug. 29 2008 11:22 AM
Sean from New Jersey

Drilling / Nuclear is 20th century thinking. Why aren't our candidates paying attention?

Listen to Amory Lovins, please!

Aug. 29 2008 11:22 AM
Ben Thompson from NYC area

Eva,
By "certain type of woman," do you mean "doormat?" Someone willing to look the other way, for years and years, in order to get political power?

Aug. 29 2008 11:22 AM
Hugh from Brooklyn

Gee. We've heard republicons waffling about the qualifications of Obama to be president. Now that goes by the boards for both sides.

Is this anything more than a plea to Hillary blowhard diehards and ultra-right-wing crypto-fascists?

Aug. 29 2008 11:21 AM
chris o from new york city

#20 nuclear non-proliferation and in the State Senate, he had great working relationships with the Republicans. And at Harvard Law Review (many many conservatives), he worked very well and effectively with them and won their respect and affection. But it is more about his temperament and personality than political negotiations.

Aug. 29 2008 11:20 AM
Leo in NYC from Soho

Check out her page at OnTheIssues:

no known opinions on virtually anything!

Aug. 29 2008 11:20 AM
America Wins with Palin from NYorkistan

you who say that it is a "cynical choice"

LOL ...and what about picking Obama! THE racial candidate!! that wasn't cynical?

you who say that Palin will have skeletons in the closet

LOL...how can anything top terrorist Ayers, racist Wright, scumy Rezko?!?

funny how your logic cuts both ways!!

Aug. 29 2008 11:20 AM

Seth,
You don't get it. Older and middle-aged women who have been passed over for promotions in favor of some younger babe, or have been dumped by their husbands for some better looking babe are NOT going to flock to some Alaskan babe. Their intense attachment to Hilary was because she was a certain type of woman, with a particular history. It's not about XX v. XY. It was never that simple. They IDENTIFIED with Hilary for a whole variety of reasons, but in part because she, to them, was like them. Palin is a very different entity. It is not that it is not saleable, but it will take some work.

Aug. 29 2008 11:18 AM
Yes I Am from Manhattan

It's extremely humorous and ironic to hear you all cry about Governor Palin's 'lack of experience'.

The pot calls the kettle black, but you can't take the heat.

Let the games begin.

Aug. 29 2008 11:18 AM
Hugh from Brooklyn

The pick of Palin could also be seen as a sign of McCain's weakness.

He's picked a relative unknown, younger, and clearly with _NO_ national or international experience. Someone who can't challenge him or leave him in the shadows as Cheney did with Bush on occasion.

So there goes a substantial element of the McCain attack on the Obama campaign.

Aug. 29 2008 11:18 AM
Leo in NYC from Soho

This is hilarious -- they're trying to play "experience chess" with Obama and Biden. I can hardly wait for the VP debates -- everyone calculating and gingerly sidestepping... sigh..

Aug. 29 2008 11:17 AM
America Wins with Palin from NYorkistan

fantastic choice of Palin!

even more historic than putting a mixed-race "black" Obama in office would be putting a woman in this high office!!

executive experience
youth
TRUE change agent

substance, not arrogance and fluff!!

Aug. 29 2008 11:17 AM
mc from Brooklyn

chris o #4,
Besides the ethics bill in the Senate, when else do you remember BHO working across party lines in the US Senate?

Palin - LOL. Can't wait to see what's hidden in her closet.

Aug. 29 2008 11:17 AM
Max from Manhattan

Brian,

I feel very cynical about McCain choice for VP. This feels like a stunt to me. It's ironic that the Republican party has so been influenced by Obama's and Hillary's historic runs that they have been "forced" into diversity. My question to your guests is, are Republicans really going to stand for this. Will Bill O'reilly and Rush Limbaugh extoll the values of having a woman VP, (and if something happens to McCain) a possible woman president?

Aug. 29 2008 11:15 AM
chris o from new york city

Touche, Robert #15.

Aug. 29 2008 11:15 AM
Leo in NYC from Soho

Palin:

This is ridiculous -- does John McCain even KNOW Sarah Palin? This is a tragic attempt to pit women against blacks just to capitalize on Hillary's loss. This is a woman with NO foreign policy experience at all who is one heartbeat away from being president? This is just pathetic tactics in the face of McCain imploding campaign. It is embarrassing tokenism at its worst.

Aug. 29 2008 11:14 AM
Ben Thompson from NYC area

Eva,
Why on earth would women in this country be embittered?

Aug. 29 2008 11:14 AM
robert from park slope

The choice of governor Palin gives Obama an easy response to Republicans who state that he is too inexperienced for the job. McCain - through his pick - shows that he feels a couple of years as governor plus a few years as mayor of a small town are sufficient background to prepare one for the Presidency

Aug. 29 2008 11:13 AM
chris o from new york city

McCain's wife is getting a little old for his tastes so he needs a new woman in his life.

Aug. 29 2008 11:13 AM
gabby from new york

I think Sarah Palin is a gimmick. It's even more irresponsible than the gas tax holiday.

Aug. 29 2008 11:12 AM
seth from Long Island

eva #8

Aug. 29 2008 11:11 AM
Dan from NJ

Palin? Are they kidding? A bold choice should deliver more than a collective "Huh?" from the populace!

Aug. 29 2008 11:10 AM
chris o from new york city

It is fun to talk about, but historically the VP choice never makes a difference. There is lots of bluster and commentary but they don't matter, except in how it reflects on the decision-making abilities of the person on top of the ticket.

Aug. 29 2008 11:10 AM
eva

Does ANYONE really think embittered middle-aged and even older women who are die-hard HRC supporters will flock to Pallin?

Aug. 29 2008 11:10 AM
chris o from new york city

By the way, that's what I like about McCain: that he rubs people the wrong way and can be very intense. I am like that. I am misunderstood. But I ain't running for President...

Aug. 29 2008 11:07 AM
seth from Long Island

By picking Sarah Palin, McCain may have neutered Joe Biden. Biden will be walking on eggshells during the VP debate for fear of bearing branded a sexist.

This was a completely cynical move by McCain and his team to rip apart the Democratic coalition.

I seriously doubt that McCain honestly believes Palin is the Republican best qualified to be VP.

Unfortunately, the MSM will probably buy into McCain's desperate stunt.

Aug. 29 2008 11:07 AM
Yes I Am from Manhattan

... iam pridem, ex quo suffragia nulli
uendimus, effudit curas; nam qui dabat olim
imperium, fasces, legiones, omnia, nunc se
continet atque duas tantum res anxius optat,
PANEM ET CIRCENSES.

Aug. 29 2008 11:06 AM
chris o from new york city

Obama has already played nice with others and worked across party lines in Illinois and Washington. And everybody likes him, unlike McCain who has rubbed many individuals the wrong way with his decidedly unPresidential temperament. Let me quote Thad Cochrane, senior Republican Senator from Mississippi in a rare moment of political candor: "The thought of his being President sends a cold chill down my spine. He is erratic. He is hotheaded. He loses his temper, and he worries me."

Aug. 29 2008 11:05 AM
Sean from New Jersey

Overall, I think it was a B+. Covered a lot of ground well.

However, I think he's again failed to connect with fiscal moderate/conservatives.

There are a lot of undecided independents/republicans who will listen to him say health care for all, hear instead "big spending", and just turn off.
But he could get them!

He has to better frame issues such as health care as an *economic* imperatives.
(Because it *will* sink our economy when the baby boomers begin to retire in Feb 2009 if we don't deal with it.)

Aug. 29 2008 10:50 AM
Peter from Park Slope

Obama made no attempt to reach across party lines and gave no indication that he would work closely with Republicans if elected. The reason that John Kerry strongly considered McCain as a running mate in 2004 and the reason that Biden said he would share a ticket with McCain is because McCain has always worked with Democrats. Sure, Obama can say that McCain votes with Bush 90% of the time, but Democrats know that McCain will work with both parties - will Obama?

Aug. 29 2008 08:39 AM
Camilo from Phoenicia, NY

One man's opinion that 75,000 don't share.

Aug. 29 2008 12:30 AM