DNC Coverage: Hour 2

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Georgia Congressman John Lewis talks about the civil rights movement in the context of this year's convention and previews Obama speech tonight.

Then
Convention time means party time. Nancy Watzman heads up the Party Time project of the Sunlight Foundation. She dishes the details about the premiere Democratic fetes.

Then
Meet the Delegates: Guam's Taling M. Taitano and Derick B. Hills

Then
Ohio Congressman Dennis Kucinich talks about his rousing speech on Tuesday and about his experience at the convention.

Then
Jonathan Alter, Senior Editor and Columnist for Newsweek Magazine and analyst for MSNBC, discusses John McCain's potential VP picks.

Then
Ewa Kern-Jedrychowska, reporter with Feet in Two Worlds and Polish Daily News, talks about the role of the ethnic press at the convention.

Then
Open Phones: What do you want to hear from Obama tonight?

Jonathan Alter, Derick B. Hills, Ewa Kern-Jedrychowska, Dennis Kucinich, John Lewis, Taling M. Taitano and Nancy Watzman
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

hjs from 11211

or delusions of grandeur if u prefer

Aug. 28 2008 04:55 PM
hjs from 11211

you know you people just contribute to my dilutions of grandeur!
but thanks. i enjoy chatting with intelligent people as well.

Aug. 28 2008 03:17 PM

mc #72,

That sounds like a reasonable conclusion to me regarding Charlie Parker and Billie Holliday. I don't think I would have been able to maintain my sanity if I had to experience segregation as an African American.

Aug. 28 2008 03:01 PM
David! from NYC

I'm signing off, too. This was a good day. thanks to all.

Aug. 28 2008 02:56 PM
mc from Brooklyn

I echo eva, I must sign off now. I have a date to take my kids to Coney Island.

Raise a cold one tonight!

Aug. 28 2008 02:55 PM

#67 Eva,

Literature of crisis - That's an interesting point and one I honestly hadn't considered until now. Given the dual significance of today's date, my mind just led me to thing about all those prominent African Americans in Civil Rts and the Arts who made tremendous accomplishments under the heavy weight of racism and segregation. Judging from your post, I may not be as well read as you are. It sounds like you majored or minored in English or in the Classics.

Aug. 28 2008 02:54 PM
David! from NYC

I agree, but can you imagine the dilemma some would have?

"If I vote for the Dems, I'm voting for an African-American, but if I vote for McCain and that old coot dies, then a Mormon will be president..."

It's sad that there are those who would entertain such thoughts, but let's not be naive.

Aug. 28 2008 02:47 PM
seth from Long Island

David! #68 - It sounds like you've fully thought through the cost/benefits of a Romney selection. I agree regarding the conventional wisdom that the MSM spins its wheels predicting who gets the VP slot and then it proves irrelevant.

I only think it might be different this time because we're in uncharted waters with an African American at the top of the ticket.

Aug. 28 2008 02:43 PM
mc from Brooklyn

eva,
In Brazil everyone still plays an instrument from the time they can walk and talk.

Isn't it interesting that the most interesting art seems to come from places of great pain and conflict?

Aug. 28 2008 02:42 PM
mc from Brooklyn

seth #65,
It is really amazing what they accomplished. I sometimes wonder if Parker and Holliday burned themselves out on heroin and died young because it was too hard to be that brilliant in the world and time they live in.

Aug. 28 2008 02:40 PM

#70,
Yes, the late janeys are the loudest and the most insistent! As you might have noticed...! gotta sign off, don't forget to raise the glass tonight!

Aug. 28 2008 02:39 PM
David! from NYC

(tongue in cheek) eva, from the other page, you're not a bigger fan of hjs, you're a janey-come-lately!

Aug. 28 2008 02:32 PM
David! from NYC

Given all that, though, seth, I really think vp selections get much more attention and play from the media than the electorate. I mean, my word!, George the First won with DAN QUAYLE.

Aug. 28 2008 02:31 PM

seth,

first, as others have noted, he may be the King of Policy Change. (Isn't that nicer than "flip-flopper"?) This election will be inundated with those charges anyway, and Romney adds to it.

Second, I don't think a large percentage of Americans are ready to vote for a Mormon. While his social positions line up well with the religious right, many on the religious right deem Latter Day Saints to be cultists.

Third, he's likely not to play up his Massachusetts connections with the GOP, many of whose constituents see that state as more of a bastion of liberalism than NY. If he tries to play up connections to MI, he faces two challenges: he left MI, and MI's economic situation is bleaker than that of most of the nation.

Where's the appeal?

Aug. 28 2008 02:30 PM

seth,
you could say that, or... before technology overwhelmed us, we all were taught to play an instrument.
And, I guess, as the literature of crisis instructs, crisis brings forth great work. Oedipus Rex and The Apology written during the decline of Athens. The Consolations of Philosophy written as Rome was falling, and Hamlet written amid huge revolutionary thought-bombshells, like warring between christian sects/discovery of the new world/copernican bombshells.

Aug. 28 2008 02:27 PM

David! #60
Why do you believe a Romney pick benefits Obama?

Aug. 28 2008 02:24 PM

mc 61

Yes absolutely, regarding Bayard Rustin, Charlie Parker, Lester Young, and Billie Holliday. If I gave it more thought, there are dozens of other names I would be able to cite. It's amazing that these people had such incredible talent and it's even more amazing that they could bring it to fruition given the psychological pressures they endured because of the racial climate that existed during those years.

Aug. 28 2008 02:22 PM
eva

Seth, I'm okay with the Greek columns, as long as he doesn't bring out Irene Papas as Antigone. (Not that I don't like Irene, she's a smoldering but chaste widow in Zorba...)

After that off-topic bit, I better sign off...!

Aug. 28 2008 02:15 PM

Eva,

"I Shall be Released" and "A Change is Gonna Come" are great songs but I'm not expecting to hear either one.

I heard one report this morning that a fireworks display is supposed to take place. I hope that's not true. I think that's going too far. He's already going to take enough hits for the 75,000 spectators and the Greek columns.

Aug. 28 2008 02:08 PM
mc from Brooklyn

Hasn't McCain done enough flip-flopping to make him a soul mate of Romney's?

Aug. 28 2008 02:04 PM
eva

please pick lieberman please pick lieberman

Aug. 28 2008 02:03 PM
mc from Brooklyn

seth #45, yes, and add to that list Bayard Rustin for whom my father worked when he was an undergraduate.

seth #46 Carly Fiorina, but I don't think it will happen and if it does, I hope it won't work. Oy!

seth #49, add Charlie Parker who revolutionized modern American music, Lester Young without whom there would not have been a Charlie Parker and Billie Holliday who recorded "Strange Fruit."

Aug. 28 2008 02:02 PM

Seth,

I guess we'll know soon enough. I think a Romney selection will be very favorable to Obama.

I'd heard that bit about Hutchinson. What surprises me is that I haven't heard anyone even bandy about the possibility of Watts (or is it Watt?).

Aug. 28 2008 02:00 PM
hjs from 11211

david!
i'm taking 55 very serious!

Aug. 28 2008 01:54 PM

David #51,
Chuck Todd on MSNBC said Kay Bailey Hutchinson won't be offered the VP slot because she and McCain don't get along well with each other personally.

hjs #54,
I think enough Republicans could get past the Mormon issue, and the flip-flopping if Romney gets picked. Romney is portrayed as an expert on economics (McCain's Achilles heal) by the MSM so he sounds like the logical choice to me.

Aug. 28 2008 01:53 PM

David!
I think it was the Mormon thing.
HJS,
I, too, told my father that W would never win the GOP nomination. I was pretty shocked they shut out McCain back in his good old days. Still like the guy, but ain't voting for him.
Seth,
I love Nina Simone's version of "I Shall Be Released," and "My Baby Just Cares For Me." She did a really interesting, kind of pointed take on "Mr. Bojangles." It's interesting how she infused even a song like Bojangles with a civil rights angle. There are so many good versions of "I Shall Be Released." I wonder if they will play that tonight, or maybe "A Change Is Going To Come"?

Aug. 28 2008 01:44 PM
David! from NYC

by the way, you do know of course that there will be those that took those last two posts seriously.

Aug. 28 2008 01:44 PM
David! from NYC

hjs--that does it. i'm mounting an independent write-in campaign to be prez of the hjs fan club

Aug. 28 2008 01:43 PM
hjs from 11211

david!
he's a phony flip flopper. he became a right winger just before the primary after being a moderate lefty governor of MASS
also Mormon are not real Christians....

Aug. 28 2008 01:39 PM

hjs,

I'm trying to recall...what was the general speculation for Romney's plummet in the GOP selection process? Was it the Mormon thing?

Aug. 28 2008 01:34 PM
hjs from 11211

make ME sweat? they all do, i still can't believe BHO will win. i hope i'm wrong. i didn't see any way bush would win in 2000 or 2004.

anyone from a swing state: Romney with Michigan connection,
any centrist, of course if they are too enlighten many gop won't show up at the poll

i thought BL said lieberman would be VP?

Aug. 28 2008 01:32 PM
David! from NYC

Seth--If I had anything to do within the McCain camp, I'd do everything I could to influence him to pick either Kay Bailey Hutchinson or J. C. Watts. Both of them are solid "moderate-conservatives" and both would, by their gender or ethnicity, minimize part of Obama's historical moment.

Aug. 28 2008 01:28 PM

#49, Eva

Thanks. I'd also add Miles Davis and Nina Simone(who recorded that incredible song Mississippi G-D D--N) to that group. I have a deep admiration and appreciation for these people and for their work and art which has enriched my life.

Aug. 28 2008 01:22 PM

#45, Seth,
You made my day. Thanks. What a great moment. Another great way to look at this.

Aug. 28 2008 01:11 PM

#47 hjs

Based on what Brian reported earlier, it sounded like Lieberman was off the table as far as consideration for VP.

Are there any registered Repub politicians McCain could choose, who would make you sweat?

Aug. 28 2008 01:11 PM
hjs from 11211

lieberman!

Aug. 28 2008 01:05 PM
seth from Long Island

Which Republican do you think McCain could pick as a running mate who'd be able to deliver the most dissaffected Hillary supporters over to his side?

Aug. 28 2008 01:03 PM

mc,

I don't know about you, but when I raise my glass tonight, I'll be thinking of the iconic figures within the African-American community who are now deceased (MLK, Malcolm X, Ralph Ellison, Richard Wright, James Baldwin) and trying to imagine what thoughts would be running through their minds.

Aug. 28 2008 12:53 PM
hjs from 11211

eva
i'll be happy with history judging the bushes
someone should form a group that heckles bush & co every time they show up somewhere to speak for money, for the rest of their lives. and boycott any company that hires the criminals

NEVER FORGET!

Aug. 28 2008 12:40 PM
mc from Brooklyn

eva,
Agreed about Bill. I have always been a little suspicious of him, he is magnetic but unreadable at the same time. I hate the demonizing that persists around him.

I would heartily support impeachment. I just don't think it's going to happen. Kucinich is one of the few who have enough guts to go for it. Everyone else thinks he's a kook and he didn't help himself with the UFO thing. However, he is spot on when it comes to the issues and the state of the country. I am a fan.

Aug. 28 2008 12:32 PM
eva

yeah, but in order to avoid repub talking points, Obama would have to hide under his momma's bed until after the election.
Let the poor guy out, misplaced kisses and all. It's better than the alternative. And I don't think the anti-celebrity thing is working for McCain's campaign. Obama is popular, let him be popular.

Aug. 28 2008 12:29 PM

mc,
I used to be anti-impeachment. I thought, what's the use, we should just move on. But now I feel that impeachment is necessary to restoring what's left of our reputation in the world.
I think it's good to move Bill out before Obama speaks. No one looks good next to that guy, he's a freak of nature. Seriously. Shakespeare could not have invented a character like him. So complex, so talented, so charismatic. So wily! I was so grateful for his speech last night. It was so smart, and totally to the point.

Aug. 28 2008 12:20 PM

hjs,

At this point, I'm not sure what to believe anymore. Besides working hard each day to win votes, Obama and Co have to work hard to win as many news cycles as possible between now and Election Day. After tonight, I just hope they'll avoid doing anything that confirms or reinforces Republican Talking Pts.

Aug. 28 2008 12:19 PM
Ayanna from Brooklyn, NY

Being wildly popular at home and abroad = arrogance. Huh? This is not seemingly silly. It's just plain silly.

The reality is that Obama, in presuming to run for president, is no more or less arrogant than other candidates who have sought or are seeking the same office, and that includes John McCain. But, to some voters, what is a positive characteristic in one candidate magically transforms into a negative in another. How? Why? Well, one of these kids is not like the others!

Aug. 28 2008 12:09 PM
SuzanneNYC from Upper West Side

I think it's possible to yourself crazy giving credence to every viewpoint being expressed and and every nit that's being picked. It's the greatness and curse of the internet and 24/7 news. I think, if you support him and have been moved by his candidacy, you should trust the guy. If he pulls it off, the impact will be huge. I don't expect Obama to give a policy speech -- I think he needs to be both inspirational and specific on making the case for his presidency. He needs to continue to define himself and give people the words to use in the coming weeks. He's smart. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Aug. 28 2008 12:09 PM
mc from Brooklyn

I have a weakness for Dennis Kucinich. I am from Ohio. I admire his raecord of protecting Cleveland froma rapacious private utility (this relates to the blackout we had here a few years ago). I also admire lost causes like the impeachment Bush (Cheney probably presents a better target legally). I wish he hadn't started talking about UFOs. It made him easier to dismiss.

Aug. 28 2008 12:07 PM
mc from Brooklyn

I heard on one of the BL segments that the Obama campaign wanted Bill Clinton to leave before the speech because they don't want all the close-ups on him.

eva,
I'm a huge Tammy Duckworth fan. I am still mourning her not getting elected to Congress.

Aug. 28 2008 12:05 PM
James from Brooklyn

Maybe Yes I Am meant an FDR rally, and he just got the date wrong because he hasn't had 8th grade history yet?

Well, I agree, Yes! It is like an FDR rally. The moment in history is extremely important to our country. The candidate is unique. And the opposition seems about as clueless to the situation as Herbert Hoover was in his day. And yes, as happens at democratic political rallies, there will be numerous people there who will be enthusiastic in coming together to support their candidate. The numerousness aspect is very important because, in order to win a democratic election, you have to have more votes than your opponent (unless the Supreme Court is in your back pocket).

Anyway, hope the school year goes well.

Aug. 28 2008 12:03 PM
hjs from 11211

seth
do we really believe people who would have voted for BHO won't know because he spoke in germany. IF true that's got to be the saddest thing ever.
as if most americans even knew he went to europe.

Aug. 28 2008 12:01 PM

Seth,
I'd be grateful if Springsteen showed up to restate his support of Obama. He's still... the boss.
But I totally understand your concerns. I freaked last night over the kiss, that's how much the media has unnerved us.
Still, I think the larger venue is okay, maybe even good.

Aug. 28 2008 11:59 AM
seth from Long Island

I appreciate the responses to my initial comment on this thread, but I still have a lousy feeling about Obama's choice of venue for tonight's speech. I think many Obama supporters underestimate the resonance this Republican line of attack has with voters.

Joe Klein said he spoke with a group of undecided voters who were turned off of Obama because they resented his Germany speech. They felt it was arrogant and inappropriate for him to make the speech.

Voter preferences can often be swayed by seemingly silly issues. I think Obama will turn away some undecideds tonight who simply resent the sheer spectacle of the event. Even Brian is talking about warm-up acts and Springsteen rumors.

Aug. 28 2008 11:54 AM
Alin Dufresne from Bronx, NY

Susan Rice was a horrible interviewee.. the arrogance. If this is how the rest of Obama administration conducts themselves, then we're really in for it.

Aug. 28 2008 11:53 AM
Ayanna from Brooklyn, NY

Regarding the INVESCO field thing, I REFUSE to buy into or cater to the ridiculous GOP talking point that Obama's highly enthusiastic supporters are somehow a liability, and that appearing before a capacity crowd of 75,000 looks "bad". It's just crazy. John McCain had to go to a motorcycle rally to find a group of more than 500 who wanted to hear him speak, and what did he do with this audience? Offered up his wife for a topless beauty contest. That's class.

I know Obama's going to rip it tonight, and the crowd will go wild, and it will be a great celebration, the perfect climax to a great week for the Democrats. I'm not going to worry about the crazy Republican spin, but just listen and enjoy the moment vicariously.

Aug. 28 2008 11:52 AM
hjs from 11211

yes i am
you're so funny
what did 1934 mean to u??

Aug. 28 2008 11:44 AM
SuzanneNYC from Upper West Side

Thanks, Seth. I'm a big fan of Democracy Now and Amy Goodman. I go back and forth between radio and TV -- sometimes listening is better than watching -- but images are important as well. I think we the people need to call the broadcast media on their bias and slant masquerading as even handed reporting. The watchdogs are good -- but unless many voices are raised it will just continue.

Aug. 28 2008 11:43 AM

Yes I Am,

I didn't compare your scenario with the N word, but I would like you to clarify your comment about the 75K "...ready to kill or be killed".

Aug. 28 2008 11:41 AM

Yes I Am,
Don't be coy, when you write 1934 and giant stadiums, you don't have to write the word "nazi".
What that has to do with Obama's acceptance speech you've not made clear.
Greek theatres are Greek theatres. You might as well accuse The Who of being tied to 1934/rallies/and-an-implied-but-not-written-Nazi-word.
Or worse, accuse Olivier in a post WWII staging of "Oedipus Rex" of being Hitlerian.
Really... not all ampitheatres are connected to Hitler. In fact, quite the opposite.

Aug. 28 2008 11:41 AM
BL Producer from WNYC

A few comments have already been removed for violating the WNYC posting policy. As we continue this discussion, please keep your comments civil relevant to the discussion on the air, and brief. Thank you.

Aug. 28 2008 11:40 AM
chris o from new york city

Clinton went home before Gore spoke in 2000 and before Kerry spoke in 2004. Same thing, no stepping on someone else's coming out party.

Aug. 28 2008 11:36 AM
Yes I Am from Manhattan

Interesting how I never mentioned the N word.

You all made that suggestion and comparison yourselves.

The truth is as painful today as it was in 1934.

Wake up America.

Aug. 28 2008 11:32 AM
hjs from 11211

Suzanne
i saw kerry on channel 13

Aug. 28 2008 11:32 AM
mc from Brooklyn

Hi seth,
I agree with you about CNN and MSNBC, I won't even watch MSNBC anymore. I like Rachel Maddow but Keith went into the garbage with Chris Matthews during the primaries as far as I'm concerned.

And I'm not a fan of Anderson Cooper, ugh!

Aug. 28 2008 11:31 AM
Bill from manhattan

Why is Clinton going home before Obama speaks? What kind of suport is that??????????????

Aug. 28 2008 11:31 AM
eva

mc, I am also in awe of John Lewis!
Also, did anyone hear Tammy Duckworth last night? She was amazing! I was near tears. What a patriot, what a brain, what a woman.

Aug. 28 2008 11:28 AM
Bill from manhattan

Rush Limbaugh already made the comparison Chris and David...... someone should start a blog where they just print transcripts of what he said....... he basically said it was a German rally.......... Chris O you never addressed the stage set itself. That was the question posed on the first comment on this board. Enough ducking the question. Was it a PR blunder. Of course! That's an OBNOXIOUS set! Come on people, speak the truth

Aug. 28 2008 11:28 AM

SuzanneNYC #12
As much as I detest Fox News for its repulsive, repellant agenda, I think CNN and MSNBC are getting almost as bad. Olbermann and Madow are the only MSNBC hosts I can stomach. Matthews has a crush on McCain and Giuliani and Scarborough is as noxious as anyone on Fox News.
If you don't already know about it, you should try to listen to WBAI tonight between 8pm and midnight for Pacifica Radio's natl coverage of the convention. They're doing a great job.

Aug. 28 2008 11:27 AM
David! from NYC

Yes I Am, I appreciate measured exaggeration as much as the next person to make a point, but "ready to kill or be killed"? Going a bit far, don't you think?

Aug. 28 2008 11:27 AM
mc from Brooklyn

Oh I don't know Suzanne. I was kind of bored by Kerry last night.

Aug. 28 2008 11:24 AM
Yes I Am from Manhattan

* 75,000 people all screaming on the edge of mania in love for their leader;

* 75,000 fans all demonstrating a bodily physical 'sign' in deference to their leader (arms outstretched, fingers joined in a big 'O');

* 75,000 flags, banners, and signs all with music blasting in support of 'the party' and in deference to the leader;

* 75,000 followers chanting the leader's slogan in solidarity and deference;

* 75,000 'blue-shirts' all eagerly awaiting the chariotal entrance of their leader in the center of a huge Romano-style amphitheatre;

* 75,000 foot soldiers for the 'movement' all ready to kill or be killed for their leader;

Is this 2008 or 1934?

Aug. 28 2008 11:24 AM
mc from Brooklyn

Is anyone else in awe of John Lewis? My God, what a witness to American history.

Aug. 28 2008 11:22 AM
SuzanneNYC from Upper West Side

It's not just FOX or other openly right wing media outlets. CNN is hardly even handed and is devoting as much time to Republican talking points as anything going on in the Democratic convention. And last night, it was astonishing that none of the television broadcasts aired Kerry's speech which was incredibly strong and held its own with Clinton and Biden. We should all watch tonight's coverage carefully for bias and slanted coverage. And then speak out. It's time for the citizens to take back the so-called main stream media.

Aug. 28 2008 11:16 AM
Valerie from Park Slope

(2) While Georgia's invasion of S. Ossetia violated the OSCE-monitored cease-fire in effect between Ossetia and Georgia, it in no way affected the wholly unrelated, cease-fire in effect between Abkhazia and Georgia. Russia assumed separate peacekeeping mandates in support of each agreement. Russia itself violated the terms of the ceasefire it was protecting as a "peacekeeping" force. And by Russia's admission, it encouraged Abkhazians to further violate the agreement (taking Kodori Gorge) in contravention of Russia's peacekeeping mandate. Abkhazia and Ossetia were not a package deal; their peoples are unrelated; and termination of one agreement could not terminate the other.

(3) Although Georgia entered Ossetia with military force, the Russian newspapers were reporting intensifying skirmishes, shootings and fights between Oseetians and Georgians within the territory for a year before August 7. As peacekeepers, if Georgia's "incursion" into its own territory ostensibly entitled Russia to invade Georgia far beyond the borders of South Ossettia to disarm the country (not anticipated in the peacekeeping mandate), what prevented Russian peacekeepers from disarming the S. Ossetia population, thus preventing the provocation that Georgia felt compelled to answer by invading on August 7?

Aug. 28 2008 11:00 AM
Valerie from Park Slope

For Susan Rice:
The West has missed three critical aspects of the crisis in Georgia. (1) Abkhazia's 1990 population was abt. 500,000: 45% Georgian, 17% Abkhazian, 12% Armenian, 20% Russian, 6% other. In 1992-3 Georgians were driven out by Abkhazians amplified by Russian troops & Cossack fighters. The Georgian refugees have not been counted in any of the referenda on independence.

If they were in Abkhazia, in the homes they purchased decades ago (since burned or occupied by squatters), the majority in Abkhazia would be neither "Russian citizens" nor in favor of independence.

While not counting the exiled 250-300,000 ethnic Georgian residents of Abkhazia, the referenda did count the roughly 150,000 Abkhazian residents who left the territory after the fall of the USSR, primarily for work in Russia, not as refugees.

Aug. 28 2008 10:59 AM
Jeff from ithaca

I don't understand why no one from the DP has jumped all over the "inexperience" talking point? It's about the cabinet, and the dynamics of the candidate. Look at our past presidents in light of foreign policy, conflict, etc. GW, governor of TX, not too much foreign policy there. Clinton, AR, nope, not there either. Reagan, huh uh. And the list goes on and on. Why can't the dems defuse this flaccid little argument?

Aug. 28 2008 10:42 AM
Matthew from NYC

Kind of just ignored that caller critique of the media, Brian...WNYC media included.

Aug. 28 2008 10:31 AM

seth, you are correct:

Aug. 28 2008 10:23 AM
David! from NYC

Ben Stein??? Egad! Should I get my own game show?

Aug. 28 2008 10:22 AM

David!, Good Morning.

I don't have the exact quote, but I have a vague recollection of Keith Olbermann saying that Ben Stein used a Hitler reference regarding Obama's speeches.

Aug. 28 2008 10:16 AM
David! from NYC

seth and chris o, good morning.

More than spinning the messiah complex, I expect comparisons to Hitler's speeches to the masses, especially if the crowd breaks into chant.

Would anyone stoop that low? You bet your sweet bottom, bubee! It's politics.

Aug. 28 2008 10:09 AM

Chris O,

I'm concerned about the effectiveness of the Republican spinners. Many cable news talking heads are very malleable and gullible and simply advance the Republican talking points they're given. They act more like trained seals than journalists.

Aug. 28 2008 09:50 AM
chris o from new york city

Seth,
I understand what you are saying but I just don't buy it. A politician's ability to draw huge crowds is now a negative? That is quite a tribute to the Republican dominated psycho-spin machine that has no decency and no shame. I know Seth you are probably not opposed to him appearing before huge crowds, but are concerned how the Republican ads slamming him as rock star and celebrity have been effective.

John McCain will say anything to win. I truly believe that McCain puts his own ambition ahead of his country (hence he accuses Obama of this, a classic tactic) and the evidence is his campaign and its ads.

Aug. 28 2008 09:15 AM
seth from Long Island

I'm very troubled by Obama's decision to give his acceptance speech at Invesco Field instead of the Pepsi Center. By choosing to speak before 80,000 fans with the facade of a Greek Temple behind him, he's providing ammunition to Republicans to advance their talking points (rock star with messiah complex). Republicans will have a field day ridiculing and mocking this excessive over-the-top visual spectacle. Can anyone make the case that Obama's campaign has not committed a huge PR blunder in this situation?

Aug. 28 2008 07:50 AM