Bidding on Biden

Monday, August 25, 2008

Melissa Harris-Lacewell, Associate Professor of Politics and African American Studies at Princeton University, talks about the Obama-Biden ticket and the start of the Democratic National Convention.

Melissa Harris-Perry

hjs from 11211

david
fair? whoever told u life was fair lied.

Aug. 25 2008 03:08 PM
seth from Long Island

#13 David - I favored Obama over Hillary, but I strongly support abolishing this horrible selection process. As I said before, no more delegates - super or otherwise, popular vote only; no more caucuses: all states should hold primaries; and no more IA/NH stranglehold - let's go to a rotating regional primary calendar. If the Naderites, Ron Paul supporters, Bob Barr supporters, and Cynthia McKinney supporters were interested in doing something constructive, they'd put their hearts and souls into pushing for these changes instead of throwing their votes away on election day.

Aug. 25 2008 12:26 PM
David! from NYC

@12--hjs, not to get into a semantics game with you, but knowing the rules does not necessarily make something fair. It just means you have knowledge.

Aug. 25 2008 12:06 PM
David! from NYC

@10--I'd like to think I would, but I probably wouldn't be voicing it. The victors rarely do that.

Going in, Hillary was leading in the polls, so she really didn't have any motivation to change the system. Then came a well-run Obama campaign, a badly-run Clinton campaign, and by the time she was getting back on track, it was too late.

I agree with you--base it strictly on the pop vote. And let's go a step further. It's time to do away with the unfair influence of Iowa & New Hampshire. How many candidates (on both sides of the aisle) drop out after Iowa or NH? That eliminates choice for voters of subsequently held races. (For all the criticism Hil received about sticking with it until the end, voters in SD, MT and other "late states" stated enthusiasm and a sense that their votes really mattered.) My preference would be a national primary day. If not, then maybe 4 regional primary days to rotate from election to election.

Aug. 25 2008 12:05 PM
hjs from 11211

everyone knew the rules going in that's what makes it fair

Aug. 25 2008 12:04 PM
chris o from new york city

#9,
He got into trouble in law school for plagiarism allegations as well. (I like him but these are not fake allegations.)

Aug. 25 2008 11:57 AM
seth from Long Island

#7 - Regarding "fair and square" - The Clintons have clout within the Democratic Party. If they did not like caucuses or some other facet of the nominating process, they should have worked to have the system changed. I welcome changes to the nominating process. I think delegates should be done away with altogether and we should rely solely on the popular vote.

David - If Hillary had won, would you still say the process was unfair?

Aug. 25 2008 11:57 AM
SuzanneNYC from Upper West Side

Hey Brian! Biden did NOT plagiarize. He credited the Neil Kinnock quote he used in every speech but one or two. And then he was pounced on and that became the story. This does not consititute plagiarism. And frankly, having seen the quote it's not like the thought was so unique that someone else couldn't have come up with it independently. In any case, stop repeating that he plagiarized. Since you will undoubtedly bring it up again, at least characterize it correctly -- even if it means using a few more words.

Aug. 25 2008 11:54 AM
Eleni from NYC

I am slightly off-topic I apologise --BUT__

Although I am now an Independent, I am still voting for the Democratic ticket. Irrespective who the DNP eventually was going to run, --- isn't it true that the UN is still sending non-partisan referees to make sure the US, in particular the Republicans, don't try another voting debaucle with broken voting machines, closed precincts with no prior notice and without reason, in the poorer areas and in the working /m.c areas: electronic voting machines that default votes to the Republican ticket- as in the case of OH. in 2004.

Why doesn't anyone talk about this phenomena which was on PBS this summer. It came as a shock to learn about this-- at first I though they were talking about Iraq--they were taliking about the UNITED STATES!!!!!!!

Maybe I should propose this on the other BL blog
my apologies

Aug. 25 2008 11:44 AM
David! from NYC

@2--like you, I am deeply disappointed HRC isn't the nominee. But we differ in that I don't think BHO was under any obligation to select HRC as the running mate, and I never expected him to do so.

@5 & 6--the "fair & square" nature of the selection process is debatable. 2008 is done, but by 2012, I earnestly hope the Dems will get rid of caucuses, eliminate the counter-productive legacies of NH and IA, and bring some real fairness to the nominee-selection process.

Disillusionment takes a long time to overcome.

Aug. 25 2008 11:41 AM
seth from Long Island

#2 - Obama is not obligated to offer Hillary the VP slot. Republicans would have had a field day exploiting all the baggage she carries. If Obama chose Hillary, his campaign would be overshadowed by Clinton psychodrama. Hillary lost this race fair and square. Your lingering bitterness is totally counter-productive and self-defeating.

Aug. 25 2008 11:26 AM
Phoebe from NJ

@2: Another PUMA shill? Who are you going to choose? McCain? Besides Hilary DID NOT win the popular vote; FL and MI were discounted before the Primaries began. Sore loser?

Aug. 25 2008 11:25 AM
Terri from Bed Stuy

I like the pick. Biden's got sharp elbows and he knows how to use them.

Aug. 25 2008 11:19 AM
Susan from Kingston, New York

His experience and connection to the working class is critical to the future success of the Democratic ticket. Also the fact that he travels by and forth to Washington by train is impressive! particularly in face of the need to change our energy policies! I believe that he adds to the ticket!

Aug. 25 2008 11:16 AM
DAVID from NYC

What angers me as a clinton supporter is that senator obama won the nomination by a little over half of all the democratic voters and to disregard the other half, (18 million) voters and not choose her as vp because he feels he will look like a wimp he made the biggest mistake of his career. Since hillary wasn't his vp dont count on me.

Aug. 25 2008 11:15 AM
albertine from Washington Heights

That was good Brian

"working caste"

you should just stay it like it is!

Bravo!