The HPV Vaccine

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Rita Rubin, medical reporter for USA Today and author of, What If I Have a C-Section (Rodale September 2004), talks about the effectiveness of HPV vaccines.

Rita Rubin

Mack from Florida

This will help: http://www.asamanthinketh.info

Dec. 15 2010 11:38 AM
Katie from NYC

People, please do your research on the efficacy of vaccines. When a person claims "vaccines cured polio or small pox or cervical cancer" --is this a mantra, or actual research? Please look at the facts and research about what vaccines have actually done (and HAVEN'T done).

Jon P - you can't compare 1968 with 2008 - the vaccine protocols are radically different. Do you even know what a newborn baby with an underdeveloped immune system is subjected to at birth. Do your research before making comparisons.

Thank you Gary and Eli for the informative posts.

I'll post two links on the emerging dangers of Gardasil, but there is a lot more info out there.

Aug. 22 2008 07:16 AM
Gary Krasner from NYC

Well, you cited polio, yet polio virus is a virus too. I refuted the contention that it caused polio or paralysis. Now you claim TB and small pox are viruses that caused disease. I refute that too here:

We're talking past each other. I understand both paradigms. you only know of one---allopathy. Learn the other one: Natural Hygiene. Read this:
and
www.soilandhealth.org
and maybe
www.rawfoodexplained.com/

Aug. 21 2008 07:17 PM
Jon P. from Hewitt, NJ

Gary,

Ok but tuberculosis and small pox are viruses. They where eradicated by vaccines. But tuberculosis is making a comeback and nobody is taking it seriously. Back in the 80’s my first job in a kitchen required me to have a TB shot. I don’t believe that’s the case now. But it has been over 10 years since I have worked in a kitchen. I was vaccinated with everything I was supposed to be vaccinated with when I was born back in 1968. I have had absolutely no adverse effects from it and contracted none of the viruses I was vaccinated from. As for HPV not causing cancer, I think the verdict is still out on that. You can live with herpes all your adult life and be completely healthy without ever showing any sign of it. That’s why I think there should be a lot more research done before Merck puts the fear of god into everybody and walks away with loads of cash… I applaud your bout with shingles. My point was why give your kid a chicken pox shot that will increase their chance of getting shingles latter in life? TO me, that’s overkill. Chicken pox is no fun but not life threatening. You might have done the right thing but most are not. That all being said, I realize I could still get shingles. If it makes you feel any better, I have never gotten a flew shot and I cant remember the last time I got the flew. We are not all the same, we all have different immune systems. Some are good. Some are week due to diet, lifestyle or genetics.

Aug. 21 2008 04:27 PM
Christina from Manhattan

Robert from NYC: As far as I know there is no vaccine
for men. I think it is due to the few
cases of HPV related penile and anal
cancers. Warts though can be
treated.

AG from Manhattan: There are more than 30 types of
HPV. Since types 16 and 18 have
been identified as two of the
cancer related ones there must be
some identifying process. While
some can shed the virus others
can have an inactive and non-
infective virus remain. Taking a
multi-vitamin and eating foods
with folate/folic acid (like
bananas) help in shedding the
virus.

Kelly from Brooklyn: While latex condoms are
definitely important in reducing
the risk of HPV and other STDs,
unfortunately all it takes is
genital or anal contact to get
infected.

Aug. 21 2008 04:02 PM
Gary Krasner from NYC

Jon P., you hold the mainstream views, which are incorrect. Polio was not eradicated by a vaccine, and it wasn't caused by a virus. read:

Also, I had shingles 12 yrs ago. I fasted for 8 days and it all went away without pain or scars. People experience terrible pain because they don't refrain from eating food.
Read this to understand why:

HPV is not a cause of cancer. the virus is present in healthy people who never get cancer, let alone cervical cancer.

Aug. 21 2008 03:55 PM
BL Producer from WNYC

We've removed a few comments that were not on topic. Please keep in mind WNYC's comment posting guidelines, and keep the conversation civil.

Aug. 21 2008 02:37 PM
Jon P. from Hewitt, NJ

Some vaccines are necessary no matter how healthy you think your razing your kids, boy or girl. Terrible diseases such as polio have been all but eradicated in this country by vaccinating both boys and girls. That being said, there does seem to be an over hype. Chicken pox for example. If you don’t go through the itching and scaring club that most of us do as children because you were vaccinated, you might have to get a vaccination again as an adult for you might get a very painful debilitating adult chicken pox called shingles. Lets not forget about Lime Disease vaccination (for both men and women). Everybody thought they had lime disease back in the 90’S. They quickly came up with a vaccination. Is it still in use? Didn’t really work and had lots of side affects. I think the more vaccinations the better because just because your healthy as can be does not mean everyone can be as healthy as they should be for one reason or anther. This seems more like a way for Merck to make a quick buck more then a conspiracy against women or a conspiracy to pump our kids full of lead vaccines. Its all about Money, money, money…..

Aug. 21 2008 02:01 PM
anonyme from midtown manhattan

Thank you Eli Katz NC from Miami! Sad thing is I have a friend who you might expect to be reasonable about this - an Oxford epidemiologist with an EC post - she was really mad at the USA for not making it mandatory a year or two ago! So there ARE people more brainwashed than we are.

Aug. 21 2008 12:50 PM
Christina from Manhattan

As a fan of your show I have to say I was really disturbed by this segment. Between the callers and reporter I felt the piece was disjointed and confusing and I am a person very familiar with the issue. I was diagnosed with HPV a couple of years ago and developed cervical cancer. Luckily, my doctor gave me the HPV test because all my yearly paps came back negative and this test enabled my cancer to be caught very early. Although, I was in my late thirties (way past the recommended age) when this started I still paid out of pocket for Gardasil because having gone through this horrifying experience I felt if there was any possibility of it protecting me from any other HPV type it was well worth the cost. I understand the issue of Merck making money, but to me if I were a parent who could possibly prevent my daughter from going through what I went through it is well worth the money and possible rare side affects. I hope in the future you decide to revisit this issues except this time with real experts in the field. It is a worthy issue.

Aug. 21 2008 12:48 PM
O from Forest Hills

Keep in mind, some girls get HPV and it can clear out of their body. I have heard most clear it out over time and they don't develop cancer. Should still get pap smears but it can clear out.

Aug. 21 2008 11:21 AM
Eli Katz, NC from Miami

Vaccination has been promoted as the ultimate prevention of disease for many years. But the true protection against the litany of pathological organisms competing for their own survival is strengthening of the immune system of the amazing human body. No vaccine can achieve, what a healthy life style fueled by proper diet, physical exercise and mental and emotional conditioning can for child's health and future.
But clearly, encouraging of awareness doesn't compare to the profitability of medications. So there you have it.

Aug. 21 2008 11:09 AM
Kelly from Brooklyn, NY

USE A CONDOM!!!! EDUCATION IS THE ONLY WAY. When a girl hits puberty (11,12,13 whatever) she should be educated about sex and her body.

Aug. 21 2008 10:48 AM
anonyme from midtown manhattan

Mandates are fascist! Vaccinations contain mercury or mercury derivatives and should be a choice! Who is behind this! Brian why do you believe in this perverted version of medicine we are being constantly poisoned by! Why do little boys have no mandated anything and why is it not even researched that there is a male part of any std! Again the culture hates women for being sexual beings. I love hearing that the MDs are against HPV.

Aug. 21 2008 10:44 AM
Michael from Manhattan

I wonder what the naysayers would have done when the smallpox and polio vaccines were introduced. I am sure they would have voiced the same objections. And we would have the results to deal with today.

Aug. 21 2008 10:43 AM
AG from manhattan

If you've tested positive for HPV. Should you, or can you, find out which kind it is? And how can you know if your immune system is able to fight it?

Aug. 21 2008 10:38 AM
Priya from DUMBO

Did Mereck release this vaccine in a speedy manner because they needed positive PR?

Aug. 21 2008 10:33 AM
O from Forest Hills

I think it is better to give girls the vaccine and educate them as early as 12 or 13 to prevent more stds. An ounce of prevention...

Aug. 21 2008 10:32 AM
Richard Lee from Park Slope

Is there any evidence to support the anecdotal reports relating the HPV vaccine to seizures in young women? We've been hearing reports from friends and family.

Thanks!

Aug. 21 2008 10:32 AM
Robert from NYC

Can and should men get the vaccine? Many men contract venereal warts both penile and anal! Would the vaccine work to prevent those cases in men?

Aug. 21 2008 10:31 AM