The Windy City

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

James Gallagher, senior vice president of Energy and Telecommunications with the New York City Economic Development Corporation, and Jeff Ball, environmental news editor for the Wall Street Journal, discuss Mayor Bloomberg's plan to bring windmill power to New York City.

Jeff Ball and James Gallagher

Ann Sargent from Minneapolis, MN

The white, three-bladed wind turbines I've seen in fields in the Midwest are beautiful, like a Calatrava sculpture.

Aug. 30 2008 05:34 PM
Aaron from Brooklyn

When re doing SOL torch lighting, GE got plenty of good PR for themselves, the US and NYC. They moved on to light Wrigley Field.

Wind providers should pay us a premium to install their equipment here and in turn, it should promote the US, NYC and the winning bidders as leaders in green technology.

Aug. 20 2008 11:07 AM
O from Forest Hills

Oh, yes in your backyard!!

We need to find renewable sources of energy and wind is one of them!!!

Aug. 20 2008 11:06 AM
Paulo from Paterson, New Jersey

I was recently out in western New Jersey involuntarily, and I was astonished by the amount of solar cells and wind turbines. The tow truck driver (I said involuntarily!) also said that many people are making their own biodiesel. My relatives in Rochester, NY also said that most of their pumps give options for ethanol mixtures... none of the gas stations around where I live do this. So it seems like the NYC area is a bit behind the times.

Aug. 20 2008 11:01 AM
Gordon King from Verona, NJ

I just returned from Austria and was amazed at the large number of wind turbines in the country - especially near Vienna. it is a beautifl country but they do not seem to mind.

Aug. 20 2008 10:59 AM
Mike Koen from Austin TExas

Are the wiind towers really any uglier than the water towers?

Aug. 20 2008 10:59 AM
robert from park slope

Do the windmills squeak as they turn? If so, NIMBY

Aug. 20 2008 10:58 AM
Leo in NYC from SoHo

how about integrating turbines into the Governor's Island development? I think that could be quite beautiful if implemented in an aesthetic way, and mesh with the proposed parks and swimming there.

Aug. 20 2008 10:50 AM
seth mosler from nyc

How about putting windturbines in front of city hall? there is plenty of wind there

Aug. 20 2008 10:50 AM
Karen from Brooklyn, NY

Mayor Bloomberg's great idea to fix every sidewalk in NYC cost me over $7,000 that I don't have and am still paying off. The project stopped after that I haven't seen a repair in almost 2 years. He can put up all the windmills he wants as long as he doesn't expect me to pay for them. Actually, though, I do think it's an interesting idea.

Aug. 20 2008 10:49 AM
Jack in the Bronx from Murray Hill

Are you suggesting VAWTs? It may be difficult to cut vibration when locating turbines on roofs.

Aug. 20 2008 10:49 AM
RC

How will the city make sure that birds won't get killed as they are known to run into windmills.

And, how do you deal with the fundamental nature of thermodynamics where its much easier to take concentrated energy like coal, uranuium (for nuclear) and dispersing it rather than taking dispersed kinetic energy such as wind and concentrate it?

Also do we have the battery technology to store this electricity since the wind doesn't blow all the time.

Aug. 20 2008 10:48 AM
Owen from Rochester

I have no idea how feasible this is, but I think it would be great for improving NYC's image as one of the most modern and exciting world cities, competing to be a model for the future.

Aug. 20 2008 10:48 AM
Paulo from Paterson, New Jersey

This will help with our pigeon problem as well!

Aug. 20 2008 10:45 AM