Finance: NY , Paterson, and the MTA

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

New York State Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli previews Governor Paterson's speech and talks about the state's financial situation. Plus, an update on his audit of the MTA.

Thomas DiNapoli

Jonah from Baldwin, L.I.

Statistics may tell us what needs to be done, better than the 'beating around the bush' of Di Napoli, who keeps talking at length about some etherial historical budgetary 'processes', talking without even once hitting the nail on its head.

The projected deficit means that if NYS' population is C. 19M, the deficit is C.$263.00 for every soul, women, men, children, elderly, students and so on.

What is, one may ask, the $ amount spent on SERVICES for NYS population? Take the total budget and divid it by 19M, then ask yourself: Have I seen any of this service coming my way?

Here is a proposition to explain that problematic budgetary 'amorphic processes' Di Napoli was beating around the bush about: The State has an appetite for hiring civil servant who, in turn see it to their personal security to vote for the Party in control. If they don't, they risk a true Statesman winning the election - a Statesman, not a Politician - who will truly see to it to do what very few Politician do: trim the self-serving unproductive staff; streamline the bureaucratic processes and so on.

Jul. 29 2008 11:38 AM
leonore from Park Slope, Brooklyn

I offer my support and confidence in Tom Dinapoli, who was an amazingly hard-working, highly ethical and extremely competent assemblyman for years and years in the LI district I grew up in, and where my mom still lives. Leonore

Jul. 29 2008 11:29 AM
leonore from Park Slope, Brooklyn

Great work, Tom. You were a superb assemblyman in my mom's district, and you're doing a great job now! Leonore

Jul. 29 2008 11:26 AM
Ryan from Manhattan

They need to massively cut programs and personnel in both city and state governments. Thing have ballooned over the years and tax payers and companies are leaving the state because it is completely uncompetitive. Residents of NYC pay the highest taxes in the nation and I don't believe we get better services than most other localities; infact I would bet they are worse.

Jul. 29 2008 11:18 AM
Steve Mark from NYC

This problem doesn't materialize out of thin air. When does the government account to the tax payers other than a palliative speech from the Governor. None of Brune, Goold or Spitzer said a peep about this. Why did it take a sight-impaired governor to see this?

Jul. 29 2008 11:15 AM
Alex from NYC

When you cut the budget because of the economy the governor needs to ad money to the Food-Stamps, food-banks and soup kitchen Programs

Jul. 29 2008 11:12 AM