Streams

The Human Genome Project: Ten Years Later

Monday, April 15, 2013

DNA molecule display (Christian Guthier/flickr)

April 14th marked the tenth anniversary of the first complete mapping of the human genome. Dr. Robert Klitzman, Professor of Clinical Psychiatry and the Director of the Masters of Bioethics Program at Columbia University and author of Am I My Genes?, talks about how human genome sequencing has changed medicine and bioethics.

Guests:

Dr. Robert Klitzman

The Morning Brief

Enter your email address and we’ll send you our top 5 stories every day, plus breaking news and weather.

Comments [8]

Wayne Johnson Ph.D. from Bk

If I understood it right, Dr. Klitzman says that a woman that discovers her fetus may have a 20 percent chance of Autism should have the option to abort. This means a living being with an 80 percent chance of living a healthy life would be destroyed.

Apr. 15 2013 02:11 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

The only logical answers to all these problems is to produce children in factories according to quality industrial standards, just like better cars or IPads. The old concept of "family" and "marriage" are primitive relics of the past of no relevance to the future of our species.

Apr. 15 2013 01:57 PM
micaela from Brooklyn

my husband and I are undergoing genetic testing because our daughter died of a mystery genetic disease. It is weird because if I ever were to have another child we would need to weed out all the embryos that were just like my wonderful baby, whom I adored and who I never regretted having. Nevertheless I could never ask another child to go through what she went through. Are we playing God? Well, if there is anything I learned from my experience it is that nature doesn't not care about my family's happiness one bit. My husband and I are the only ones who can do that. So genetic testing it is.

Apr. 15 2013 01:57 PM
Amy from Manhattan

For people with a dangerous genetic condition or trait who don't want to have an abortion (or find it difficult to have access to abortion), at some point will they be able to have their sperm or eggs screened so they can have in vitro fertilization & have an embryo implanted that will be free of the disease they carry?

Apr. 15 2013 01:52 PM
The Truth from Becky

Prometheus

Apr. 15 2013 01:51 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

Ask your guest how soon he believes we'll be able to produce children in factories, ala "Brave New World?"

Apr. 15 2013 01:49 PM
Joe from nearby

"No food will be grown- that we don't own." -Monsanto

Apr. 15 2013 01:41 PM
Anonymous from New York, New York

I'm an adoptee and am interested in doing genetic testing, but have held off from doing so because I'm not sure how genetic testing will affect my health insurance coverage in the future. Could your guest speak to current laws the enable one to protect one's genetic information--are there any such protections?

Apr. 15 2013 01:32 PM

Leave a Comment

Email addresses are required but never displayed.