Family Guide to Mental Health

Monday, April 15, 2013

Lloyd Sederer, medical director of New York State's Office of Mental Health and the author of The Family Guide to Mental Health Care (W. W. Norton & Company, 2013), offers specific recommendations for families dealing with mental illnesses.

Lloyd Sederer

Done in Private Anymore

Re: narcissism --possibly the first time in my life here in the us that i've heard this condition referred to as something to be curbed rather than promoted!

Just last night i caught an unfortunate eyeful of a group of high school boys (white and black), naked, flexing their muscles and staring at themselves admiringly in the mirror together, shaving their (own) bodies as they bantered. They were talking about -- girls?

I am open minded but I found that downright disturbing to see on multiple levels. Are there things that ought to be done in private -- and shouldn't those be included? I've seen older men doing similar things as well. I have a feeling I am observing a sort of social sickness undergoing the process of normalization. I look forward to the backlash on this one.

Can't young folks just wear bell bottoms, go braless and listen to the Grateful Dead?

Apr. 15 2013 02:08 PM
laurie Murphy from nj

No one should have to suffer because of their genetic predisposition. Everyone deserves a full life.

Apr. 15 2013 12:42 PM
Jf from The future

People kill themselves because this is a dystopia. most mental problems are caused by this dystopia. All people in jail for violent crimes are mentally ill. Prison is corporate tourture institutionalism. People should be able to live where ever they want. We are not born into this country by choice, it is slavery.

Apr. 15 2013 11:46 AM
Laurie Murphy from NJ

I haven't heard much talk about autism being the pre-cursor to psychosis/schizophrenia. I am not sure if many people know this particular link. I work with children with autism and see the numbers of autistic children rising all of the time. Our country as a whole hasn't put enough resources into mental health care. We are not ready for this epidemic in mental health. My brother has psychosis and has been floundering in the system for years. He was actually allowed to return to my parents home that has numerous, unlocked guns and ammunition even after attempting to take his life with one of the guns he "legally" owns. I have requested over and over that he be placed in a safer environment. My requests go nowhere with his case worker and the system. Also his medication has not been the right fit as he has not been stabilized since he was diagnosed over 5 years ago. My uncle, and my only first cousin have psychosis as well. My nephew has autism. Our society needs to get over the stigmas and deal with our mental health crisis in the United States.

Apr. 15 2013 11:43 AM
Nicole Fell from NYC

I think that what is not in the conversation is nutrition and the importance proper nutrition has on mental states. As well where amino acids fit in the treatment program instead of synthetic drugs.

Apr. 15 2013 11:34 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

>What is to be done with those who cannot be rehabilitated and are a danger to society? <

Give them a padded cell with an internet connection;) Just like me :)

Apr. 15 2013 11:32 AM
bertha

can Dr. Sederer speak about people with developmental disabilities that wind up in OMH care? Often this is due to severe behaviors that can't be managed in the community as the person matures into adulthood. Often, faced with jail, they are placed with OMH because there are no longer developmental centers because of downsizing of developmental centers and OPWDD.

Apr. 15 2013 11:32 AM
Christine from Westchester

Isn't there a big difference between treatable issues and things that simply cant be solved among the mentally ill? Just like physical illness, there are things you can fix, things you can't. What is to be done with those who cannot be rehabilitated and are a danger to society?

Apr. 15 2013 11:26 AM
SS from NYC

I am thrilled to hear this segment on WNYC right now. I have been very concerned about this conversation on "background checks" on what exactly this means. Gun regulation is extremely important, but the "background check" sound bite all over the media, without much description, scares me.

I'm someone who has had two relatively mild breakdowns in her life, due to lack of sleep and stress, but still needed to be hospitalized and medicated. It has been almost 10 years since my last breakdown, I'm no longer on meds, and my therapist would tell you I would no longer be considered mentally ill -- but with all this, I wonder, would someone like me, and my immediate family members, never be allowed to own a gun (if it was something we were even interested in)?

I don't think we can resolve our gun regulation problems with this blanket "background check," because there is so much to the issues and stories of mental health.

Anyway, it would be good to see more in the media about what these "background checks" actually consist of?

Apr. 15 2013 11:23 AM
Laura from brooklyn

first, very important and long overdue book! i work as a psychologist in a community mental health clinic serving a highly traumatized poor population. our clinicians are overwhelmed with the quantity of patients ( several caseloads for full timers are over 100!) and the intensity of their needs. it's a struggle to provide quality treatment. i would imagine this book will lead to even more referrals. how can the clinicians address their needs in the current health "care" climate?

Apr. 15 2013 11:21 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

I believe much anti-social behaviors, be they a form of striking out, or the opposite being withdrawing to within, are labelled as "mental health" problems. Often these behaviors are just the byproduct of social rejection. That is to say, negative feedback from the human environment. When the human environment rejects another human for whatever reason, that rejected human will react in certain ways, often in ways that get him or her "mentally ill."

Of course there is genetic mental illness in which anti-social behavior is somehow inscribed in one's DNA. We call those people psychopaths or sociopaths or hardened criminals.

Apr. 15 2013 11:19 AM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

What should be a priority is teaching people how to recognize what they see in terms of mental health issues so sufferers can get treatment early. I see far too many mentally ill people out on the streets who would have benefitted from early diagnosis and treatment, but are now homeless or inappropriately treated with medications that would not have been necessary with early diagnosis. As with all medical conditions, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Apr. 15 2013 11:15 AM