Laid Off! Now What?

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Drew Tignanelli, president of The Financial Consulate, offers practical advice on the very first steps to take if you're laid off.

Drew Tignanelli
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Alvin from Manhattan

I recommend the following book, and it's not just for layoffs: "Your Rights in the Workplace", published by NOLO. (My copy's author is Barbara Repa, but that can change over the years.) This is widely recognized as the best book on the subject for laymen. Beware of similarly-named books, and make sure you get the LATEST edition!

Jul. 23 2008 11:53 AM
tF from 10021

Robert
just another perk that comes with the job.

Jul. 23 2008 11:51 AM
Steve (the other one) from Manhattan

@Seth - in addition to pens, it seems you're supposed to take the coffee, even if you don't have the sort of machine that makes it.

Jul. 23 2008 11:49 AM
Robert from NYC

AND now he's a CEO, Bruno that is, he's the CEO or a company that "advises" politicians.

Jul. 23 2008 11:47 AM
exAst from Queens

Your supposed link to Drew Tignanelli's "Wall Street Journal" article actually links to the article by Erin Chambers.

Jul. 23 2008 11:45 AM
Randy Paul from Jackson Heights, NY

I was laid off from a firm that was doing well and merely wanted to cut costs. I was offered a severance package, but I was not completely satisfied with it and did not sign it immediately. If I recall correctly, under NY State Law, you have twenty one days to respond, so I went back and negotiated with them. I didn't get everything, but I did get outplacement assistance.

The others laid off at the same time signed immediately. That is a big mistake. The worst thing they will do is say no.

Jul. 23 2008 11:43 AM
tF from 10021

mike
agreed! so hard to get good help. i long for the good old days.

Jul. 23 2008 11:43 AM
Matt from Manhattan

Tell people.

I got laid off in March (as a temp) and ran into a couple of people in an elevator I'd worked for. They went back to the person who laid me off and told them not to get rid of me. Stayed on for a few more months and found another (full time) job somewhere else.

Jul. 23 2008 11:43 AM
Anne from NYC

This seems very elementary to me, but never keep personal files on your office computer, or any significant work, without a backup on other media. Even if you're not laid off, you can still experience hard drive failure. Either one will not give you a warning--back up your documents!

Jul. 23 2008 11:38 AM
w from Manhattan

Um...is Ned Flanders the guest?

Jul. 23 2008 11:37 AM
david olmedo from nyc

I was terminated once in my life & laid off several times, and every time it has been for the better with a better position & higher salary Dont panic!

Jul. 23 2008 11:37 AM
Thomas from NYC

I'd say whatever you do just don't burn the bridge- you never know anyone will come up with a new job for you in the future.

Jul. 23 2008 11:35 AM
Seth from astoria

From the sound of the last segment, I think the moment I was fired I would grab all the pens I could carry and hit the boss back where it hurts.

Jul. 23 2008 11:34 AM
Steve (the other one) from Manhattan

I count 3 platitudes from this guy so far ...

Jul. 23 2008 11:33 AM
Robert from NYC

Gee Mike you're a nice guy. Do you think people who get killed in an accident deserve to killed in an accident?

Jul. 23 2008 10:05 AM
Mike from Bellport

In my experience, people who get fired deserved to get fired. If they get mad about it, it's probably part of the reason they got fired in the first place.

Jul. 23 2008 09:36 AM
a woman from manhattan

I've never been fired, but I've had to quit often (I just don't have the personality to be employed, which is why I'm freelance now). But I can tell you that the moments following the end of a job, though precarious financially and morally, are also moments of unbelievable freedom.

Those moments are the best moments to get stuff done that you couldnt' do while you were employed. It's a good moment, for example, to adopt the dog you always wanted. Bonding and training take time, and you'll have some now that you're fired.

It's also a good moment to clean out your closets and files, or do anything emotionally taxing that would have interfered in your job, like dump a deadbeat boyfriend and have time to recover from it.

Also, I have noticed that the best way to find a new job is to take on a part time job that is not necessarily the ideal one you ultimately want -- people are more likely to offer a job to someone who is busy, than to someone who is unemployed. (I think it's a nasty puritan moral thing. You know how people in power often only help people who don't really need help, or give discounts to the rich rather than to the poor...). I always found better work practially as soon as I found a temporary job to keep me from gathering dust.

It's not an entirely negative thing to get fired. Carpe diem!

Jul. 23 2008 07:35 AM