Carol Burnett Remembers Her Daughter

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Carol Burnett talks about her late daughter and about mothering an extraordinary young woman through the pain and joy of her life. Her memoir Carrie and Me: A Mother-Daughter Love Story recounts Carrie and Carol’s bravely going public with Carrie’s drug addiction and recovery when she was a teenager. Carrie lived her adult life of sobriety to the fullest, becoming a successful actress, writer, musician, and director, and her passion for life never wavered as she battled the cancer that took her life at the age of 38.

Carol Burnett

suzanne from new jersey

That scene when Carol shows up wearing the drapes.....never forget it. Carol and I have much in common unfortunatley, watching a child suffer active addiction and then recovery. Worst of all, we share the loss of a child, the queen of human pain and Carol displays the courage and grace required of someone suffering this grief. I listened to her unspoken understanding of Leonards' inability to acknowledge her suffering, this is one of the many requirements of those of us who have suffered this loss, to understand rather than be understood knowing how difficult it is for those around us. Carol Burnett is a true lady and I am so grateful to her for still making me laugh.

Apr. 12 2013 07:03 AM
suzanne from new jersey

Apr. 12 2013 07:03 AM
Hazel from Manhattan

A flawless sweet interview. I could have listened for the entire program. Thank you.

Apr. 11 2013 11:07 PM
lester rawlings from queens NY

i don't necessarilly think life's harder for teenage girls than boys;it seems that way, because girls talk about their angst more. also, boys keep their emotions much more concealed.

Apr. 11 2013 03:22 PM

Carol ~

You were/are a huge influence in my life... very vivid, wonderful memories of voraciously consuming your incredible comedy on The Carol Burnet Show!

Thank you!!

Apr. 11 2013 01:41 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Carol Burnett is 1 of the very few guests on the show who could get nothing but positive comments, & deservedly so. Her & Carrie's willingness to be open about what they were going through must have helped a lot of people with similar experiences, & I hope her book helps many more.

Apr. 11 2013 12:52 PM
anonyme

Dear Carol
I am typing with a lump in my throat after this conversation - - have to read your and Carrie's book - so many things to identify with, and I am in stage 4 lung cancer mets to lung, lymph, brain. So moving and of course the sight of your face opens any American heart. I had alcoholics in my family and spent a lot of time in Al-Anon - stabilized self chain-smoking. I just want to cry with you.

Thank you for all you have given us!

Apr. 11 2013 12:44 PM
Charles from Teaneck

I'm so sorry for Ms. Burnett's loss. She is such a special person who had a big impact on my childhood/adolescence. God bless her!

Apr. 11 2013 12:38 PM

Thank you and thank you for your account of your daughter's struggles with addiction. I wouldn't wish rehab on my worst enemy, but it saved our family; our experience was much the same as yours.

Apr. 11 2013 12:33 PM
Batya from Washington Heights

Thank you for sharing your life with honesty, humor, and candor. May your daughter's memory be for a blessing.

Apr. 11 2013 12:26 PM
fuva from harlemworld

How well put: 'Love them enough to let them hate you.'

Apr. 11 2013 12:21 PM
fuva from harlemworld

Wow, Carol Burnett! What a genius. A living legend.

Apr. 11 2013 12:17 PM
The Truth from Becky

I loved the Carol Burnett show, brilliant, watched her show all the time!

Apr. 11 2013 12:17 PM
Tony from Canarsie

Ms. Burnett is one of the very few true comedic geniuses of our time. Thanks for the countless moments of enchantment, Carol.

Apr. 11 2013 12:11 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

To me Carol Burnett is one of the four funniest women of the post-WWII TV era: Carol, Tracey Ullman, Lily Tomlin, and Lucille Ball. Sorry about the tragedies in her personal life. It is amazing with how some people suffering tragedies can still retain a great sense of humor and the desire to keep others laughing.

Apr. 11 2013 12:09 PM