Weiner Weighing Run for NYC Mayor

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-NY) announces his resignation June 16, 2011 in the Brooklyn borough of New York City. (Mario Tama/Getty Images/Getty)

Former U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner, who resigned over a sexting scandal in 2011, says he's weighing a run for New York City mayor this year.

The Democrat tells The New York Times Magazine "it's now or maybe never for me." But he acknowledges that it's a long shot because some people "just don't have room for a second narrative about me."

He says he doesn't know when he'll decide on entering the race, and concedes he'd be an underdog.

Weiner represented Queens and Brooklyn for more than a decade before resigning amid the scandal over his lewd online behavior.

The interview was posted online Wednesday and is scheduled to be published on Sunday.

His wife is Huma Abedin, a longtime aide to former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Anthony Weiner in his first broadcast interview after resigning: June 29, 2012

Tags:

More in:

thatgirl from manhattan

Tom from LI - Here's a summary of why I, a Quinn constituent, would never vote for her:

Led the City Council campaign to grant Bloomberg a third term, over two citizen referenda that determined term limits.

Promised "community leadershiip" to the elderly and infirm in our district, then helped the Rudins close St. Vincent's and turn it into a high-density luxury condo development.

Worked with Google's shell "real estate development" company push through a high-density expansion of Chelsea Market (about 5,000 more people will be working in the area, as a result), while ignoring campaign promises of affordable housing and the need for school expansion in our district.

I could go on, but don't need to. Many of us here feel the same way. We're also supporting her CM opponent so she can't come back and do more harm.

Apr. 10 2013 05:09 PM
thatgirl from manhattan

Ugh--just heard Bob Garfield inveighing on "what kind of Faustian bargain Huma Abadin had to make" to "let" him consider running. He's said some stupid things in past, but this takes the cake. Stop the comparisons to Hillary, and consider that each of them have strong relationships and supportive, forgiving spouses. I'm sure neither of them need a guy like Garfield speculating on their "motivation."

Apr. 10 2013 05:02 PM
Park Slope G from Park Slope, Brooklyn

If he's the strongest candidate against Quinn in the primary, he'll get my vote. In a run-off, Quinn's opponent will get my vote. If Quinn somehow becomes the Democratic candidate, I'll vote for a minor party candidate in the general election.

Quinn is a female Giuliani - a megalomaniac who does not believe in the First Amendment. She is beholden to real estate interests such as Rudim. She did nothing to stop the closing of St. Vincent's Hospital. Anybody but Quinn!

Apr. 10 2013 03:21 PM
Zachary Siegel from Kanpur, India & Westchester, NY

This could end up playing to Weiner's favor as publicity and a comeback story! For me, hearing that Weiner has not ended his career signlas that that career is robust should be taken seriously. How seriously? Doesn't it just make you want to look up Weiner's life story and accomplishments?

We certainly aren't all well-informed enough to already have known about him before the scandal, and now we're looking him up on Wikipedia. Digging into any politician's histories is likely to impress (that's why they're elected!).

Plus, the NYT Magazine article was really well-written and was objectively honest about him, which, to me, carried a subtext of 'considering vilifying this guy in an article right now would be beyond irrelevant.' Did anyone else feel this way about that article?

Apr. 10 2013 02:40 PM
Caroline from Staten Island

I would vote for Weiner in a second. He understands NYC and is very knowledgeable about politics. I forgave him a long time ago for his foolish computer antics. With all the "serial bigamists" we have in politics, he's o.k.

Apr. 10 2013 02:15 PM
Michael from Manhattan

I would never vote for him. I do not care about his personal problems, but he does not represent my interests.

Apr. 10 2013 01:21 PM
Wella from nyc

I wonder if the people supporting his run are actually anticipating his opponents' to gain strength from it.

Apr. 10 2013 12:40 PM
John from Bensonhurst

Self-destuctive narcissist...go away.

Apr. 10 2013 12:25 PM
tom LI

Someone provide me a short and sweet - vitriol free - synopsis of why all the animosity against Quinn?

Seriously, I want to know....

Apr. 10 2013 12:24 PM
MomOf2

Though I'm in Westchester and won't be able to vote for NYC Mayor, I'd love to see Weiner run. He was an articulate, intelligent member of the House and stood up for beliefs in a sincere, inspiring way. His candidacy would elevate an otherwise dull campaign that seems short on thoughtful discussion so far.

Apr. 10 2013 11:55 AM
Former Constituent from Ditmas Park

Run for it, Anthony! I support you and will volunteer for your campaign!

Apr. 10 2013 11:29 AM

His sex life is NONE OF ANYBODY'S BUSINESS!!

Apr. 10 2013 11:07 AM

I'LL VOTE FOR HIM IN A SECOND!!!

Anyone besides Quinn!!!

Apr. 10 2013 11:06 AM
Wella from nyc

I like this guy a lot! But I don't think he stands a snow-ball's chance in hell of being in the top 3 DEM nominees - let alone clinching it - oh well.
Sadly, I fear Quinn will take it and take this city down with her.

Apr. 10 2013 10:12 AM
Tere from NYC

That would be so wonderful! Many people are one incorrect "send" away from incriminating sexual behavior. Why don't we all just except that humans are sexual and that it expresses itself through a range of activities that many,many people we know engage in.
I have really missed his voice in all the recent political debates. He was always so sensible and spoke truth to power.

Apr. 10 2013 10:09 AM
Amon from South Slope BROOKLYN!

Aside from " cheating " on his seemingly amazing wife, I like this guy. His marriage is not my business and I don't know or want to know the full story. As a small business owner in New yorI have much more important issues to worry about, and I need someone tp fight for me. Could Weiner be that person? We'll see.

Apr. 10 2013 09:51 AM