Hillary Clinton is Back

Tuesday, April 09, 2013

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton speaks to the press outside a United Nations Security Council meeting on the crisis in Syria Secretary Clinton speaks outside a United Nations Security Council meeting on the crisis in Syria. (Mario Tama/Getty)

Last week, Hillary Clinton made two big speeches and announced a book deal. Rebecca Traister, journalist and the author of Big Girls Don't Cry: The Election that Changed Everything for American Women, discusses what Clinton's message says about a possible 2016 run, and whether it's too early to look for clues.

Rebecca Traister

Never been a huge Hilary fan but, after her performance at the Benghazi Senate hearing...

Who doesn't LOVE someone who tells Ron Johnson and John McCain that they're complete idiots?!?!

She was FANTASTIC!!

Apr. 09 2013 12:52 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Gail: Sounds more like you're a feminist but an agist. How many US presidents have been older than Clinton will be in 2016?

Apr. 09 2013 11:46 AM
janny1006 from jersey city

I think she would be the one person Republicans and lunatic fringe right radio would hate MORE than Obama! I think she will run and I would definitely vote for her!

Apr. 09 2013 11:45 AM
Mark from The Bronx

"Under god(sic)". I will never vote for Ms. Clinton, because of her knee-jerk, calculated political response to the 9th Circuit's decision against the inclusion of the phrase in the Pledge of Allegiance. Instead of standing with advocates for freedom, she piled out to the Capitol steps with Sen. Schumer, etc. and capitulated to the McCarthy Era propaganda.

Apr. 09 2013 11:45 AM

In 2016, I don't need another DINO/Clinton. No dynasty. No more Right of Center CorporateCrats.

Now, Elizabeth Warren is up to date & up to the task.

Fortunately, Hill/Bill are past their sell by dates. Let them do their private donor fleecing away from elections.

Apr. 09 2013 11:45 AM
Mike from Tribeca

Is Clinton still tight with the extreme right-wing denominationalist C Street "The Family" crowd?

Apr. 09 2013 11:45 AM
Amy from Manhattan

I went to a (non-campaign-related) event during the 2008 primaries that Rep. Jerry Nadler also attended, & he stayed around afterwards talking to people about the race. He said then-Sen. Clinton was further to the left than Obama. (Of course, they were both part of the NY congressional delegation, so he could have had a bias based on that.)

Apr. 09 2013 11:43 AM
Kent from Hell's Kitchen

As a queer and feminist activist, I was late to the Hill party . Now I would support her but I think she might ,at 69, make a better vigorous ballast to the progressive side of Supreme Court bench.

Apr. 09 2013 11:42 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

One thing for sure, I will NEVER vote for THAT woman!

Apr. 09 2013 11:41 AM
Tony from Canarsie

"Hillary"? Why aren't you calling her "Secretary Clinton"?

Apr. 09 2013 11:41 AM
Jim B

Whenever the subject of Hillary Clinton's presidency comes up, my reaction has been to wonder, given eight years of slander and obstructionism against her husband, followed by the same against Barack Obama, whether she is enough of a politician to deal with this political new status quo. Lately the opposite occurs to me: has the right cried wolf too often, and could she unite women across many constituencies who would not tolerate such tactics against the first woman president?

Apr. 09 2013 11:40 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Hillary - to the right of Obama? Really?

Only because she looks a certain way, hence many Americans feel "more comfortable" with her.

Apr. 09 2013 11:40 AM
Karen from NYC

I volunteered for Obama in both 2008 and 2012. I would support Hillary in 2016. She is not too old to run (sorry, Reva). I'm a couple of years younger than Hillary and have two jobs; we sixties types have hit the big 60 with lots and lots of energy.

Hillary is smart, experienced and practical. I worry about her hawkish tendencies; her vote on Iraq is one important reason that I didn't support her in 2008. Yet she is head and shoulders above all the Democratic competition -- except Biden, who does not have the support to win -- and I think she'd make a very good President.

Apr. 09 2013 11:39 AM
Christine from Westchester

I never thought I'd say "give me Hillary" but compared to Obama, I'd give anything to have her instead. She's not perfect but at least she's smart and experienced.

Apr. 09 2013 11:38 AM
Tony from Canarsie

Brian, you sound like you were forced to do this segment. If so, I don't blame you one bit since the next presidential election is what, three and half years from now?

Apr. 09 2013 11:36 AM
Rita Lasar from mahnattan

i am still angry at obamas comment about hilary to her face "she's nice enough"
I wanted her then I didn't want him then and I still am sorry he made it. He is a wonderful professor but terrible president and she has the smarts for the job.

Apr. 09 2013 11:34 AM

She'll have to do a lot more than a revisionist history book and charm campaign to recuperate her image. This is a woman who was wrong on gay marriage and DOMA (and more if we make certain assumptions about DADT during Bill's reign); wrong about health care reform; wrong about Iraq; wrong about Benghazi; and many other things. A safe 5-10 years after being wrong, she comes around.

For the Iraq vote alone, I can never support her candidacy for President. Or Biden's.

The unfinished business in America is shoving the Clinton dynasty off into the sunset. Just this weekend, we saw more speculation about Chelsea. Give me a break from these narcissists.

Apr. 09 2013 11:34 AM
antonio from baySide

Here, here, hjs....
I'd love a few more Senator Sanders if possible....

Apr. 09 2013 11:31 AM

dear democrats
I know u are still partying after the grand victory in 2012. but before moving on to 2016, please remember BHO still needs your help. It’s not too early to start working on retaking the house and keeping the senate 2014. Lets vote every year not just every 4

Apr. 09 2013 11:29 AM
Gail

We need to bring along younger women. Hilary will be too old and has too much baggage. I am a feminist but a realist.

Apr. 09 2013 11:28 AM
antonio from baySide

My heart wouldn't mind if she ran/won, but my brain says she's not going to be a Elizabeth Warren...

Apr. 09 2013 11:28 AM