College Basketball and the Constitution

Friday, April 05, 2013

Rami Khouri, director of the Issam Fares Institute for Public Policy and International Affairs at the American University of Beirut, on how his beloved Syracuse basketball team's zone defense got him thinking about judicial review, the American constitution, and national life.

Rami Khouri

Stephen I. Mayo from New Rochelle/Bronx

I (BA, 1973)remember Rami from Syracuse University. He was a distinguished student journalist at the Daily Orange (I also "moved a few fonts" around the place at the time; and the Promethean and Dialog too). He was also in the Phi Gamma Delta men's fraternity I believe; when I was in Tau Delta Phi); for good or bad. I also recall Brian Lehrer at Temple Beth Sholom in Bayside/Flushing a little before that.

Apr. 09 2013 05:06 PM
Mark Sukoenig, OD from De Witt, NY

Hey, I was at S.U. 66-70. Why didn't I know you? After all, it's such a SMALL school.

Apr. 09 2013 12:01 PM

Basketball was much more fun @ SU '66-'70.

Showalter's football team was years behind other football programs of the time.

Mr. Khouri's reporting & comments are still the gold standard on ME affairs.

Apr. 05 2013 11:44 AM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

I DO love the man's passion for Syracuse and for sport! He gives the lie to the notion that sports is NOT a trivial nor a pursuit that an intellectual cannot or should not be interested in, let alone passionate about.

I used to be a huge basketball fan (NBA, as CCNY had by then fallen far from its peak), but for several years now, baseball has been my passion.

Apr. 05 2013 11:41 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Rami Khouri should form a democratic party in Gaza or the West Bank and run for president over there, and bring over these American values.

Apr. 05 2013 11:35 AM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

I appreciate the imagination to make non-obvious connections between concepts and entities, but this seems a gratuitous one, and a bit of a stretch. I ain't buying it.

Having said that, and the connections aside, the guest is a thoughtful individual.

Apr. 05 2013 11:34 AM
Sam from Astoria

Interesting article. Not sure why you chose to show former Assistant Coach Bernie Fine in the picture though. Curious choice given that he had to resign amid child molestation allegations.

Apr. 05 2013 10:33 AM