Speaking about the Budget

Monday, June 30, 2008

New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn talks about the new city budget.

Christine Quinn

Susan from Kingston, New York

hjs - We don't know whether or not those waterfalls will bring $20 million in revenue to the city. It is merely spectative to assume so.

Jun. 30 2008 11:14 AM
Simon from Brooklyn

It's really a shame Bloomberg couldn't get this budget nightmare that is NYC under control in light of his background. The city really needs *draconian* cuts to non-essential services and this includes assistance and housing programs. Case in point is one of the poster's above... at the end of the day, someone needs to pay the bill and we are chasing out all of our wage earners and businesses due to the cost of our government and its wasteful services.

Jun. 30 2008 11:09 AM
Laura from Manhattan

I am really outraged at both the Mayor, Quinn and the council. They tout how they kept the tax rate on property tax fixed, but they forgot to mention that does not affect their constant upward assessments on your property. I am basically being forced out of my apartment which I've lived for 17 years because of the constant double digit increases in property taxes (which I cant control by cutting back like I can with everything else rising). I simply cannot not afford to live in NYC any longer simply due to taxes at this point! - just cant make the monthly costs. I mean, we've got super high sales taxes, a local income tax (absurd) and constantly rising property taxes.

Sadly, I've had to put my apartment on the market and trying to find a place to go. I guess I'm in the forgotten middle, just over the line for all the public goodies officials like to dole out for votes and not super rich. It's really sickening.

Jun. 30 2008 11:03 AM
Joseph Caffrey from Staten Island

I am dissapinted that the slush fund was not mentioned. How much of that or the groups that it went to are still in the budget. You let her get away lightly.

What cuts were made in operating the government?

Jun. 30 2008 10:51 AM
BM

The Mayor chose to not restore $20 plus million in cuts to essential social services (at a time of increasing demand due to the recessionary economy) despite the city having a $4.5 billion SURPLUS this year. It's frightening to think what he is going to do with next year's budget when we're projected to have a budget DEFICIT!

Jun. 30 2008 10:48 AM
hjs from 11211

Susan
would it still be outrageous if it brought 20 million in tourist dollars to the city?

Jun. 30 2008 10:46 AM
Susan from Kingston, New York

I find it totally outrageous that the city just supported a $15.5 million waterfalls project and is cutting funding for community centers outrageous! What is going on here?

Jun. 30 2008 10:44 AM
NC from NYC

I love culture (museums, etc.), but I think that city funding to those organizations could be cut even more to replace summer jobs for youth. If youth have something to do during the summer, they're less likely to get into trouble. The cultural orgs. can raise private funding.

Jun. 30 2008 10:41 AM
Leland from Brooklyn

I would agree with Counser Quinn on the real estate tax cuts not being just for the wealthy. I live in a middle-class middle of the road coop, and our real estate taxes are captured and used in the coop fund for the increasing costs of the building operation, instead of increasing maitenance, which is especially hard for some residents.

Jun. 30 2008 10:40 AM
Gary from Manhattan

Brian,

Please do not let Ms. Quinn get off the hook with her nonsense defensive for city's slush fund and that she "just found out about it".

Jun. 30 2008 10:28 AM
hjs from 11211

when is the land around city hall going to open to the public again?

Jun. 30 2008 10:22 AM