Bill de Blasio on Paid Sick Leave Deal

Tuesday, April 02, 2013

The New York City Council came to an agreement on a paid sick leave policy which is expected to pass with a veto-proof majority. Public Advocate and candidate for mayor Bill de Blasio reacts to the deal.

What's In the Paid Sick Leave Compromise?

• Businesses with 20 or more employees would have to start giving their workers five paid sick days a year beginning in April 2014
  • The rule would eventually apply to businesses with 15 or more workers by October 2015
  • All employees would have to be employed for at least four months to be eligible, including part-time workers. Seasonal workers and work study students would not be eligible
  • The sick-leave requirement would not be implemented next year if city’s economy significantly slows down, as measured by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York

Bill de Blasio

Pat Sherwood from Manhattan

I am leaning toward Mr deBlasio because he is one elected official who did not do away with term limits. This to me is of great importance for the voting class and for NYC council to now see what they have done to us all.

May. 22 2013 04:13 PM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

"Change the nature of Brooklyn forever" Ben - what are you talking about?

I had issues with the land theft but the project itself is good for Brooklyn. You support the stadium (good for BK) but not the housing?

Apr. 02 2013 10:46 AM
art525 from Park Slope

The paid sick leave bill is just the latest example of Christine Quinn doing everything she can to pursue her only goal, to advance her political career. She sat on that bill forever until she was called on it and it was in her political interest to get it passed. Like so many people I didn't really support term limits but the voters did pass a referendum supporting that. And Quinn, to serve her interests and to pander to Bllomberg tossed the referendum. There are so many examples that show she is just a craven pol. She is so transparent in her hustle it is an insult to our intelligence. I do hope people start to pay attention to her manouvers and send her packing. I am pulling for Bill DeBlasio. He was against the repeal of the term limits even though that would have eliminated his opportunity to run again. He puts his money where his mouth is while Quinn talks out of both sides of hers.

Apr. 02 2013 10:45 AM
Ben from Brooklyn

Bill de Blasio sold out his constituents in pushing forward the deal for Atlantic Yards.

He paints himself as a progressive, but when it mattered he was more than willing to forget the interests of Brooklyn and offer what was framed as a "compromise" but was really a giveaway to Ratner and a publicly held-real estate development firm.

The stadium is great. But the scores of buildings that have already been approved but not yet built will change the nature of Brooklyn forever.

Apr. 02 2013 10:41 AM
john from office

His son needs a hair cut, big fros went out in the 70's

Dad get his to a barbershop now!

Apr. 02 2013 10:40 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

@JOHN FROM OFFICE-

LOL ... don't forget that his wife has announced that she was formerly a lesbian!!!
LOL ... presumably to steal some votes from Quinn. You couldn't make this stuff up.

Apr. 02 2013 10:39 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

A punitive tax on people making $500,000+ to pay for daycare, hmm - that's some of the whackyness I can't support.

Apr. 02 2013 10:38 AM
Robert from NYC

De Blasio for MAYOR!

Apr. 02 2013 10:36 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

I like Bill. His candidacy in this race, focusing on long ignored issues has been helpful.

However, some of his politics are a little too_____for my taste.

Apr. 02 2013 10:33 AM
john from office

Bill, I have a black son, de Blasio
I am sure he will mention his black wife and child at some point in this interview.

Apr. 02 2013 10:32 AM
Shaneeza Aziz from Brooklyn

I think Quinn agreed to the paid sick leave bill because she knew it would be vetoed by Bloomberg. That way she can say she cares about the working class. I don't believe it.

Apr. 02 2013 10:32 AM