Julia Sweeney: If It’s Not One Thing, It’s Your Mother

Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Julia Sweeney discusses her new memoir, If It’s Not One Thing, It’s Your Mother. She writes of adopting a Chinese girl, and then, a few years later, getting married and moving from Los Angeles to Chicago. She also offers meditations on strollers, nannies, knitting, The Food Network, and how she explained the facts of life her nine-year-old daughter.

Julia Sweeney
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

art525 from Park Slope

He knocks Ted Talks. I'll take Ted Talks over Mike Pesce any day of the week. And no I don't think he needs his own show. Not much there.

Apr. 02 2013 01:38 PM
kayla

Don't feel bad about not really acknowledging your daughter's smartness... Chinese parents do that all the time. My mom would say "oh she not that smart, she only got a scholarship for college for 4 years". You are just being modest.

Apr. 02 2013 01:25 PM
roger@juicyfish.com from Hastings On Hudson, NY

Oh, I completely agree, Mike must have his own show! Great segment.

Apr. 02 2013 01:24 PM
Cynthia from East Harlem NYC

I love that she sees the innate humor in life with kids and the navigation of it all.

Its why when you hear Cosby's routines about kids and Julia's stories you just have to laugh at the craziness of it all.

Thanks for gifting me some smiles and chuckles today.

Apr. 02 2013 01:20 PM
fuva from harlemworld

Great segment!

Apr. 02 2013 01:18 PM
Drew from NY

Mike & Julia = awesome!

When will Mike get his own show? It's about time

Apr. 02 2013 01:15 PM
Nancy from Hoboken

I had the same pillow, and could not stand the sentiment, true or not.
I gave it to a friend who was a therapist.
He put it in his office and it was stolen!

Apr. 02 2013 01:13 PM
Tony from Canarsie

Speaking of comedy, who came up with the headline, "How the 99 Percent Live, Shaped by Sciapparelli, Julia Sweeney, and Baseball"?

Apr. 02 2013 12:58 PM