Lidia Bastianich on Italian Easter Foods

Friday, March 29, 2013

Lidia Bastianich talks about the foods and traditions of an Italian Easter. She’ll also talk about teaching her kids how to cook and about her latest book, Nonna’s Birthday Surprise, a book for children. She's the author of a number of cookbooks—her most recent is Lidia's Favorite Recipes.

Lidia Bastianich
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Otto from New York

Lidia is not Italian! She is Croatian!

Apr. 02 2013 07:26 PM
carolyn niezgoda

Love Lidia.Perfect guest for traditional
italian Easter. her voice gave me a second
wind to continue my holiday food shopping.
Leonard You ask leading questions, very connected to audience.happy holiday feast

Mar. 29 2013 01:12 PM

Lidia is Great!

She reminds me so much of my Mother – Muffalda.

My Mother was the best cook ever! I learned so much from her. She passed in 2009 – miss her food every day.

Thank You for the show today. Totally enjoyed it!

Mar. 29 2013 01:07 PM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

1. Please tell Ms. Bastianich that yeast consists of cells. There are molecules within the cells, but yeast are individual, living cells.

2. Freezing bread is a bad idea as it causes the water molecules to crystallize and when the bread defrosts, it goes stale faster.

Mar. 29 2013 12:53 PM
Lorraine Furey from Highland Mills, NY

I would like to know if Ms. Bastianich has a local source for Italian products infused with lemon and/or black pepper. These are two ingredients that I can't get enough of and I believe it's because of my background (Naples).

Mar. 29 2013 12:48 PM
juljo from Brooklyn

This segment is going to make me homesick! My mother always made the twisted bread with eggs interweaved that get hard cooked in the oven for breakfast.

The homemade lasagna with sliced hard boiled eggs sliced inlieu of ricotta - my favorite! And a roasted leg of lamb with rosemary, with new potatoes, asparagas.

Dessert: Ricotta Pie!

Ahhh so sad not to be there.

Mar. 29 2013 12:45 PM
Diana

Are there no other Italian cooks out there? I'd like to hear from someone else.

Mar. 29 2013 12:03 PM