Jack Bishop on Essential Ingredients

Friday, March 29, 2013

Jack Bishop, editorial director of America's Test Kitchen, discusses the essential ingredients that home cooks should have in their kitchens. He’ll talk about simple dishes to make with limited ingredients.

Jack Bishop
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

@ Sheldon from Brooklyn, If you're talking about store-bought mayo, you can leave it out for a lot longer than you think... it's totally safe, practically inert! If it's home-made stuff, that's when you should worry a little.

Mar. 29 2013 10:20 PM

If you're going to leave butter out of the fridge -- make sure it's covered. Daylight (UV) destroys the Vit C in butter. Butter should be stored in dark and definitely covered or it can take on odors from other foods (in my experience).

Mar. 29 2013 12:55 PM

I definitely freeze herbs -- parsley, dill, basil, mint Chop then put in small plastic freezer bags for easy access. Also grated lemon or orange rind. Plus I freeze blueberries and strawberries -- also rhubarb and peaches -- when they're in season. Wash and dry -- strawberries need to be hulled -- no need to blanch just make sure they're dry before freezing. Spread out on a cookie sheet or pan and freeze -- doesn't take long. Then divide in freezer bags and enjoy. I'm still eating strawberries from last summer. So much better then the tasteless berries that come from far away.

Mar. 29 2013 12:52 PM

Buy tuna fish in glass jars! Comes in oil or water or sometimes flavored oil. Yes it's imported and more expensive but the chunks of tuna are more tender and flavorful without the fishy or metallic taste of the can. I will never buy tuna in a can again.

Mar. 29 2013 12:40 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Wait a minute! Should olive oil be kept in the fridge after it's opened, & is that 1-year limit based on its being in the fridge or in the pantry? ...oh, well--maybe that can be addressed next time....

Mar. 29 2013 12:36 PM
butter!

I freeze milk by the quart because I buy it raw - also cultured butter - from the farmer - I freeze butter too.

The mother is an important part of the vinegar!

Don't buy any oil in clear jars - light makes oil go rancid

Some French mustard is sometimes defunct before it gets here!

I use celtic sea salt for two reasons: taste and minerals!!! Please! Food is nutrition more than flavor.

Mar. 29 2013 12:31 PM
Marcelo from Park slope

For chicken stock/broth get an ice tray and fill it up with the broth. You then have perfect small portions to add to what you're cooking. The broth cubes melt quickly in the saucepan.

Mar. 29 2013 12:30 PM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

I'm always confused about the storage of mayonnaise, if feel bad if I leave an open jar, unrefrigerated for an hour, but any sandwich-making bodegas seem to leave jars at room temperature the entire day.

Mar. 29 2013 12:30 PM
Georgina from Ann Arbor

Can't live without Maldon Sea Salt and Coleman's English Mustard powder

Mar. 29 2013 12:26 PM
Killol

What's a good egg substitute for baking cookies

Mar. 29 2013 12:25 PM
mizholden from Brooklyn

What was the name of the olive oil Mr. Bishop mentioned?

Mar. 29 2013 12:25 PM
hank

could mr. biship elaborate on why he says not to freeze milk since i know people who do it routinely without problem

Mar. 29 2013 12:24 PM
Joan Rubenstein from Somers, NY

How do you feel about chopping fresh herbs like parsley , dill and basil and freezing them for furure use?

Mar. 29 2013 12:24 PM
Debbiek243

I freeze fresh parsley and dill, which I prefer to the dried kind. Is this okay? Any other fresh herb/spice that can be frozen?

I occasionally freeze 1% milk in gallon containers, along with OJ, and have never had a problem with the taste when it defrosts.

Mar. 29 2013 12:22 PM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

I take issue with Mr. Bishop re freezing milk. I always do it. I usually buy half a gallon at a time and freeze half of it. It extends the shelf life and it's fine when defrosted.

Mar. 29 2013 12:13 PM