Open Phones: Defending Bad Behavior

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Do you grunt at the gym? Hold lengthy cell phone conversations while on the bus? Push your way into a subway car before everyone has exited? Call in to confess and/or defend yourself....or comment below!

RAB

Just in general, people need to keep their personal hygiene habits AT HOME. I have seen people clipping their nails on the bus or subway. Even worse, I've seen it in restaurants. I was sitting, having lunch in a sandwich shop across from St. Luke's Hospital a few years ago. An older woman sat down at the table next to me, and began clipping her nails over her lunch... and some of her nails flew into my soup!

Jun. 04 2008 03:46 PM
reg from brooklyn

This kind of stuff strikes me as far more rude than the category you talked about a few weeks ago: offering unsolicited advice, butting into conversations, etc. As your guests and callers put it then, that was more being intimate without being nice, etc.

my pet peeve: do you have the experience of being on a fairly deserted, wide sidewalk. one person is walking toward you and they started to move into your lane. it's CRAZY!!! there's three or four feet on either side of you, no one is in their original path, yet they take into their head (consciously or not) to start walking directly in YOUR path. this happens to me ALL THE FREAKING TIME!!!

Jun. 04 2008 12:27 AM
hjs from 11211

wilford 92
how can i ignore someone who stands in front of the subways doors that i'm trying to enter or who go up the stairs slowly because they can't put down people magazine for 30 seconds so the 50 people behind them can get to work. the only way this city is livable is if people put just a little thought into others. it's really not that hard

Jun. 03 2008 03:37 PM
whizkid from Upper East Side

wilford, you have hit the nail on the head. The problem is exactly as you have described it. There are millions of people in NYC who delude themselves into believing that they are the only person here and therefore are the only person of any significance. What do you get when you put eight million solipsistic narcissists on an island? New York, of course.

Jun. 03 2008 02:43 PM
laura from brooklyn

car drivers who act like they've never walked the streets. they cut off pedestrians who have the right of way. and my big pet peeve-- drivers who sit (or sleep) in their cars with their engines idling, even in good weather. in winter, they sit in the heated cars and in summer, they sit in air conditioning, meanwhile the rest of us have to inhale their exhaust. the price of gasoline isn't high enough for these people. EMS and police cars are just as bad, and they can get away with it.

Jun. 03 2008 01:31 PM
office worker from Brooklyn

Some of these commenters' ideas of "bad behavior" are ridiculous.

Backpacks, for instance, are a fact of life. Just imagine that the person is a bit fatter and take it in stride.

Jun. 03 2008 01:24 PM
wilford

Christ, you're all a bunch of winers. People in the city don't have the fucking time to cater to whatever stupid little thing makes you vaguely uncomfortable. They're pretending you're not there. You should do the same. If you cannot, move to the fucking suburbs.

It should be expected that for the common good, people should be mildly aware of what puts them into the way of people around them and not do that. That way everyone goes on with life without having to interact with people they'd rather not have to.

Jun. 03 2008 01:08 PM
whizkid from Upper East Side

There's so much bad behavior, where to begin?
People who wear their backpacks on the subway at rush hour.
People who text while crossing the street.
My personal favorite is those people who wait until they are on the bus to start looking for their MetroCard, as if it just occurred to them that they would be required to pay.
Oh, to those who think men are somehow required to ive up a seat for the old, the tired, the pregnant; last time I checked it was still first come, first served. We don't pay for a seat, we pay for a ride.

Jun. 03 2008 12:53 PM
jaynab rose from norwalk, ct

I hate with a PASSION those people who let their dogs s**t in the middle of the sidewalk and will not clean it up.

Jun. 03 2008 12:22 PM
Em from Brooklyn

Cell phone users, definitely. In particular those with Blackberry-type devices. I find that many acts of oblivious behavior seem to be perpetrated by someone who's either talking or texting on their phone, such as the person who stops suddenly at the top of the staircase, or walks slowly down the middle of the sidewalk, or drives erratically. At some point, it just becomes a public safety hazard.

And #53, good job. I hope I have the courage to act likewise if I ever witness such abuse. #68, I wonder if you could have called the police and reported the car for driving erratically. Leave it up to them to find out whether or not the driver was drunk.

Jun. 03 2008 12:17 PM
Jack from Tivoli

Hey Mike, I do tree removal for a living in 'shi-shi' Tivoli and watch the same annoying city people come and go up here that I do in the L.E.S. Race has nothing to do with it! What irks me is the vain, culturally destructive search for authenticity that never even gets out of its insular, class-based comfort zone. You really don't find this annoying, or a problem?

Jun. 03 2008 12:13 PM
jesse from Morningside Hights

I really hate columbia students. They really aren't as special as they like to think they are, and spend far too much time acting entitled.

I also hate people who presume to tell me how to train my dog after I have had to stop their dog from humping mine.

Jun. 03 2008 12:09 PM
Guido from Harlem

Besides of beating up Brokers, Polititians, CEOs and the usual suspekts i like to hold D. Trump pesonally responsible for ruining manhattans west side

Jun. 03 2008 12:08 PM
Lorenzo

the woman who's in line at the apple store who,
5 mins prior to the store opening, is joined by half a dozen men wanting to grab Iphones.

Jun. 03 2008 12:07 PM
D from NYC

To John The Clueless Spitter: First of all, where on earth did you get the idea that you have the right to expectorate on the street? If you're walking around with TB or some other airborne disease, do you want to share it with the world? Please, spare us your slimy emissions.

Second of all, in answer to your question (if that was indeed a serious question): ever heard of TISSUES? What are you, feral?

Jun. 03 2008 12:05 PM
Sarah from Brooklyn

Parents who put their children who are 3+ years old in strollers. When I see a child sitting in a stroller with his knees up to his chest, I feel like a PETA activist in a research lab. Let the kids roam freely through the world, and let the rest of us move freely through store aisles, sidewalks, subways and busses.

Jun. 03 2008 12:04 PM
sevans from Union Square

Poeple who eat smelly food such as chinese food, vendor food, in the bus or subway.

Jun. 03 2008 11:58 AM
jon from Brooklyn

For people who wonder where they're supposed to spit, it's called the "trash can". Last I checked, there's basically one on every corner. If you can't hold it for half a block, then you've got a problem. On residential streets with no trash cans, spit onto/into the sewer grate on the corners.

Jun. 03 2008 11:58 AM
Mike from NYC

Jack from shi-shi Tivoli states: "The young upper-east siders who come down to the lower east side to 'slum it' with $9 coronas in faux slum bars built just for them. slam 'em!"

While I'm 50 years old, not rich and abhor pretty much all the bars below 96th St, I think anyone should be able to buy a beer wherever they like. Should Whites slam Black people if find them where they think they don't belong? Frankly Jack, with your attitude, I'd like to slam you. You're just a punk!

Jun. 03 2008 11:56 AM
vaso from NYC

With out door concert time just a few weeks away, I am thrilled to have the opportunity to air this gripe: After to getting to the Great Lawn at Central Park several hours before, say, the Philharmonic concert, to get a good spot, I am infuriated by people who turn up 20 minutes before the concert and, because they see a little bit of grass between one blanket and the next they think this is a "spot." THIS IS NOT A SPOT!! It is courtesy space between you and your neighbor. To add insult to injury, these people inevitable bring lawn chairs with them.

Jun. 03 2008 11:55 AM
chestinee from NY NY

here's another one! All the people who treat Hillary like she's done when the difference is a hair's breadth -

Jun. 03 2008 11:55 AM
Herb from Brooklyn, NY

I'm pretty much resigned to people's weird behaviour in this city, but I can't deal with guys harassing women on the subway. I saw some girl a couple of weeks back start yelling at a guy who had just whispered something disgusting to her while we were all queueing to go up the escalator, and I really had to hold back from punching him in his stupid face.

Jun. 03 2008 11:55 AM
N. Berger from Brooklyn

RE: people who throw trash out of cars.

I was amused to hear that drivers are annoyed with other drivers for littering - throwing cigarettes or trash out of the car. The dirtiest most harmful thing in this scene is the car itself, and i would love to have a car free city. Nothing infuriates me more than seeing people drive around NYC.

Jun. 03 2008 11:54 AM
Freddy Jenkins

People that do NOT pick up after their dogs! Why have one if you're not going to clean up after it?
Additionally, people who leave dirty diapers anywhere and everywhere and don't put them in trash cans.
Richest country on the earth and everyone treats it like a toilet

Jun. 03 2008 11:53 AM
Chris from Breezy Point

Assault isn't assault because someone finds a noise annoying?

I'm glad the man who stabbed Monica Seles didn't have this anti-grunting jury.

C'mon folks. Defending bad behavior is excusing it, and giving up responsibility.

Hard hitting journalism here, and a TMZ worthy dig at Tatum O'Neal to boot.

Brian's the best, but the premise alone makes me want to turn off the radio.

Jun. 03 2008 11:53 AM
Leon Freilich from Park Slope

MEEKS' HERO

He goes ahead

And ups the ante;

"Justice is mine,"

Says the vigilante

Jun. 03 2008 11:53 AM
jon from Brooklyn

When I see guys with their legs spread like that, I always want to say, "I know you think you need to air them out, but believe me, I can tell your balls aren't that big."

Jun. 03 2008 11:52 AM
Theresa

I SAW an elderly lady actually smack a wide-sitter-- a HUGE guy-- on the thigh with her umbrella, and shout "SIT LIKE A HUMAN BING!"

Jun. 03 2008 11:52 AM
errin from brooklyn

I was riding my bike yesterday and a woman driving kept swerving into the bike lane. It was early in the morning so I didn't think she was drunk but I couldn't figure out why she was all over the road. When I got close enough I saw that she was texting! I wanted to smash her driver side window to see if that would get her attention.

Jun. 03 2008 11:52 AM
chestinee from NY NY

here's another one - ladies - the people who PEE ON PUBLIC TOILET SEATS and do not wipe up afterward! it's disgusting!

Jun. 03 2008 11:52 AM
Alden from Inwood

I once saw a homeless person preparing to urinate in the corner of an A-train that I was riding on. I screamed a torrent of abuse at him, and threatened to assault him if he did so.

Another time, a different homeless person had already begun to urinate on the door of the A-train. I came very close to attacking him.

Jun. 03 2008 11:52 AM
Mike from Northern NJ

(1) People who cut their nails on the subway; and

(2) People who stop at a red light a car length (or more!) from the driver ahead of them.

ARGH!

Jun. 03 2008 11:52 AM
Alyssa from Queens

Small-dog owners who walk their dogs off leash. My dog is NOT friendly to other dogs and I do my best to keep him close so he doesn't scrap with other dogs on the street. There is nothing I can do when a little dog comes running up to him and the owner is either oblivious or talking on the phone and I'm struggling to keep their dog safe. "Oh, he's friendly" they always say, to which my curt reply is, "well, HE'S not". If I didn't like dogs so much, I'd let my guy take a chunk out of the little ones, but there I don't think it is fair to punish the dogs for their owner's rude behavior.

Jun. 03 2008 11:52 AM
Liz from Manhattan

Young, able-bodied people who sit in the front seats of the bus, often listening to their iPods who don't get up for older, handicapped or pregnant people. I did once say to someone, "I hope that no one gets up for you when your old."

Jun. 03 2008 11:52 AM
logan welde from east village

Idling vehicles. These people need to turn their cars off!

Jun. 03 2008 11:52 AM
lucy from manhattan

When I have the pedestrian right of way and I cross the street with my stroller; or often without, and the driver turning the corner speeds up to try and turn before I make it across; Nowhere in the world have I encountered this problem to such a degree. Most of the time they are in SUVs.

Jun. 03 2008 11:52 AM
Jade from NJ

1) Cellphone users on the subway/bus/amtrak.
2) Litterbugs. I used to point out sweetly that they dropped something, but after a few times when I was physically threatened, I had to stop.
3) Parents bringing kids to movies they shouldn't be in.

Marylou from Manhattan

I'm a grunter and groaner. And a teacher of voice and speech. Allowing the entire body involvement in an activity can improve performance (consider many top tennis players today).

However, in public, I would advise discretion. Otherwise It's all about you. (And we know it isn't)

World's Toughest Milkman from the_C_train

Crackheads on the stoop, easy, go to the roof, not your apartment window and dump water on them, or some other concoction of your favorite fluids of choice.

tara from Brooklyn

I live in Brooklyn but go to the gym in NYC on the upper East side. Most people who go to my gym are a little cold, but one person in particular, who did not like my tatoos, would insult me all the time. I confronted her and she wouldn't stop, so instead of hitting her I licked her and told her that if she wanted a kiss she should just ask. I have not seen her since.

Erica from 10024

Another vote against subway nail clippers. The acoustics exacerbate the already abhorrent behavior.

mark from Washington Heights

I'd like to slam Donald Trump into the wall. Need I explain?

Yuliya from Bay Ridge Brooklyn

I live on the second floor, next door to a Hukah place. I detest the loud male patrons of the Hukah cafe yelling in what sounds like Arabik under my windows past 2am in the morning! I secretly fantasize spilling cold water on them.

mgdu from hell's kitchen

i've been doing chris carter all my life. one incident that really infuriated me was back in the early 'sixties when i had moved into a tenement on macdougal strret and heard the guy next door beating his three-year-old daughter, she was screaming. i pounded on his door and told him what would happen to him if he ever did it again, and he never did.

gideon from brooklyn

car service vehicles and cops (!) who park in the bike lanes leading to the brooklyn bridge!
i fantasize about putting my own version of those flourescent green street cleaning stickers all over these vehicles. they would say: "you are parked in the bikelane, @#@$hole!"

Michael from Brooklyn

Drivers that edge into the crosswalks, or honk at pedestrians crossing with the right of way drive me up the wall.

In a particular bad episode I witnessed, a man in a largeish sedan jerked to a halt as people were already crossing with halfway into the crosswalk. When a woman he had nearly rammed brushed her fingers against the hood in a defensive reaction, he jumped out of his car and began to berate her.

I fantasized about jumping into his car and racing away (he had left the engine on)

pncilpt from nyc

it's risky behavior. late night on the nys thruway slowing down to aggravate the tailgater behind him, the tailgater came around and ran him off the road. (tailgater=suv lead car small toyota).

megs from Bushwick

being forced to change my walking route due to filming of movies, commercials and the like!!!!

chestinee from NY NY

I agree with Ann about the guys on the subway who take up 3 seats spreading their legs. (Really if they were brought up right they would offer seats to the pregnant ladies or older people riding!)

jon from Brooklyn

When cabs ignore stop signs, when cars stop on the crosswalk, when cars drive and park on the bike lanes, especially when there is room to park legally (cops are the worst)

Fairwayshopper from Upper West Side

I frequently want to tackle everyone in the Fairway shopping market (on 74th and Broadway). Never have I been so tempted to resort to physical violence, especially on Sunday evenings – the constant shoving, the banging of shopping baskets...it's amazing how the bottom rung of shopping carts is always rammed so perfectly into my Achilles heel.

Peter from Sunset Park

I am professor at three universities in the city and I am amazed about the cell phone rules I have to impose. Some students are actually indignant that I do not allow text messaging in my class. I have students actually argue with me that silent text messaging in the middle of class is their right. Amazing. My rule is simple, cell phone use may not take place in the classroom.

Jun. 03 2008 11:50 AM
L from NYC

I confess that if people are standing in front of the subway doors, blocking people from exiting, I casually stick my elbows out and "allow" them to jab the offenders in the stomach. I know this is very passive-aggressive. I have occasionally yelled at people for blocking the doors, as well, but I have to be very angry to do that.

Spitting is a serious peeve of mine - it's a public health issue, people! And of course, it's disgusting.

Oh yeah - the men sitting with spread legs - I cross one ankle over my knee and point the sole of my shoe towards their pants. It works.

Jun. 03 2008 11:50 AM
peter from manhattan

I hate when well dressed business men decide that they will by pass the taxi waiting line even though it is pouring rain and people (myself with sick children) have been waiting in line forever. Die you capitalist pigs!

Jun. 03 2008 11:50 AM
licnyc from long island city

The people who lean on the poles on the subway

PS There is a facebook group- no man sitting

Jun. 03 2008 11:50 AM
Theresa

Peeing outside gets me. I was once coming home from the hardware store, and found a guy peeing on my next-door neighbor's stoop. I pulled out the shears I just bought, and waved it at him. Gone. :P

Jun. 03 2008 11:50 AM
Heidi from queens

Nail trimming on the subway. AAGH.

Jun. 03 2008 11:50 AM
Paulo from Paterson, New Jersey

I almost got run off the road the other day by a city bus. I had a visualization, if he'd hit me, of getting on his bus at the next stop and pummeling him.

Jun. 03 2008 11:49 AM
Chris O from New York City

Amen to smacking the men with their legs spread wide on the subway.

Jun. 03 2008 11:49 AM
Leonardo Andres

How hard was this guy grunting? You are in a gym remember? If he is doing it because he is busting his butt than he might have a right, if he is doing it just to be annoying then I do not think he has a right.

I want to slam people against the wall who:

do not clean the machines at the gym after working out.

people who take a shower then parade around the gym wetting the floor and everything else in their path.

people who talk to their buddy during a gym class.

people who do not use their turn signal.

people who do not say hello or thank you at people who are servicing them.

people who can not figure out that there is two doors to enter or exit.

people who do not pack their own things at the supermarket, or at least help making my wait even longer.

I could go on but i am trying to change my ways of being annoyed by people.

Jun. 03 2008 11:49 AM
Walter from nyc

I have an otherwise well behaved dog who I politely try to navigate through Union Square for his daily walks. Without fail a clueless skateboarder will come flying past causing my dog to go hysterical and lung for the skater. Many times I will let the dog get just close enough to scare the dickens out of the skater while verbally warning him that IT IS ILLEGAL to skateboard on the sidewalk. I would love to just let the dog go and see what would happen to the skateboarder then!!

Jun. 03 2008 11:49 AM
Jay from NYC

people who honk, people who litter, people who just stand in the middle of the sidewalk on a busy street instead of moving to the side... the list is huge.

Jun. 03 2008 11:49 AM
Jen from brooklyn

When - WHEN - did it become ok for people to clip their fingernails in public? It makes me physically gag. Note: this is not only reserved for the subway, I've seen this everywhere, including restaurants!

Jun. 03 2008 11:49 AM
MB mullan from brooklyn

I would really like to hear someone defend their bad behavior re: (loud) cellphone conversations while browsing in the local bookstore, market, etc....

Jun. 03 2008 11:49 AM
kevin from park slope

My candidate wuld be that street photographer that you had on your show. The video on your site where he leaps out in front of the woman to get his shot- he should be shot. I can't figure out hwy WNYC wants to "celebrate" such a belligerent arrogant jerk. And his photos display his ugly soul- he catches thes people off guard and makes them into sideshow geeks. Shameful. I expect more from you guys.

Jun. 03 2008 11:49 AM
Alex from Mid-town

I can't stand those people who clip their nails on the subway. It's disgusting! The noise of the clipper, the clippings falling on the floor, and then they bite and spit out the corners of their nails.

Gross. Clip before you travel!

Jun. 03 2008 11:49 AM
Liz from brooklyn

How about the people who block the doors or stand by the driver on the bus.
People who stand in the middle of the sidewalk.
Parents who let their kids steal flowers from peoples garden.

Jun. 03 2008 11:49 AM
Sandya from New York, NY

I would LOVE to say I've done something against bad behavior, beyond just moving away or throwing a dirty look at the offender... but I do have a major, major pet peeve--

I have seen SEVERAL people cut their nails on the subway! It is disgusting! I can't believe people would think that busting out a nail clipper in a subway car and leaving their fingernail (or once, toenail) clippings on the floor is acceptable. I don't see other people react, but I'm so disgusted I leave right away.

Jun. 03 2008 11:49 AM
Marc from Brooklyn

People who cut their nales in public (work, subway, busses). DISGUSTING. People are way too comfortable in public.

Jun. 03 2008 11:48 AM
Joanna from NYC

So, so many men who feel that their place in the subway is in the door. I walk with a cane and I say excuse me, but apparently they are also deaf, because they cannot hear me! One day I suggested that the man take one of the many seats available. He said "I'll stand anywhere I damn well please!" So there. And it's always men.

Jun. 03 2008 11:48 AM
Justin from Brooklyn

Littering!!!
Any person who throughs anything out of a window or while walking should be ticketed imediately, or, I guess in this case, beaten.

Jun. 03 2008 11:48 AM
LB from brooklyn

I want to slam jerks into the wall who cat call me and harass me. And when you tell them you don't appreciate it, they get mad and tell you that you should be happy because they are complimenting you.

I also hate it when people don't use their turn signals, litters, and people who shove into the train before you have a chance to get off.

Jun. 03 2008 11:48 AM
Sara from Greenpoint

Sarah Jessica Parker's Sex in the City character, and people who use walkie talkie cellphones

Jun. 03 2008 11:48 AM
HarlemLady from Harlem New York

I want to slam those people who get to the bottom of steps and stop, get to the top of steps and stop or go thru a turnstile and stop so the next person has to slam into them. I just want to give them a shove out of the way

Jun. 03 2008 11:48 AM
Matt from Brooklyn

People who play their ringtone over and over, at full volume, especially on the subway or bus. It's especially aggravating late at night when I'm tired.
On my old phone I had a very annoying version of the Looney Tunes theme song. I would stand next to the offender and play my song just as loud as them with an oblivious expression on my face.

Jun. 03 2008 11:48 AM
John from Jersey City, NJ

where are we supposed to spit when we have to? I do it often when I am sick and need to expel mucus.

Jun. 03 2008 11:48 AM
Jeff from ithaca

The men of NYC, ogling and harassing women with no inhibitions. Moved there from the West, and never got used to it. Felt bad for the women, my wife included.

Jun. 03 2008 11:47 AM
hs

I want to use my imaginary machete on every slow-moving couple holding hands or arms and restricting movement for the rest of us...just because your girlfriend can't walk in her heeled sandals doesn't mean I should miss the train!!

Jun. 03 2008 11:47 AM
Mark from Brooklyn

You've got to be kidding, Brian. There's nothing to envy in, as you put it, one Alpha male asserting himself violently against another. The whole incident is disgusting, on both sides.

That said -- taking up three seats on the subway. Drives me mad.

Jun. 03 2008 11:47 AM
Nicole from Manhattan

People who stand in the middle of the subway platform, in the middle of a crosswalk, or in the middle of any sort of doorway that will not get out of the way because they are transfixed by their blackberry. I want to rip it out of his/her hand, throw it in the trash, and tell them, "YOU DESERVE IT."

Jun. 03 2008 11:47 AM
hjs from 11211

people who stand in front of the subways doors
or people who read while going up the stairs.

Jun. 03 2008 11:47 AM
Another New York Girl from Manhattan

The frustrated stage manager, wanna-be actor on the subway this morning, who unabashedly announced to a full L train that he was tired of all of his friends becoming famous and him staying unknown!

Jun. 03 2008 11:47 AM
Jill from Upper West Side

People who cut or paint their nails in public places, particularly on the subway. Cutting them is just gross, while painting them leaves you trapped with that awful smell.

Jun. 03 2008 11:47 AM
Anne

I have had two incidents on the NJ Transit which made we think we are entering an age of more noise in public, and more people revealing their lives to strangers. First, a group of teenagers on a train decided they could watch a dvd across two sets of seats out loud. I mean, what exactly did their parents teach them so they thought this was anywhere near acceptable. Then the other day a young girl spilled her guts to her friend on the phone for 40 minutes so everyone around can hear.

But what is most shocking is that no one says anything (including myself). I keep thinking, "I guess no one else minds." Really, are we going to be living in a world where all public space is public for everything?

Jun. 03 2008 11:47 AM
Zack from Manhattan

If there was one person who I would slam against be it wall, the door or whatnot, it would be "Former" Gov. Spitzer. I mean this guy betrayed our trust. I've devoted a lot of time promoting this guy during the campaign and I've got nothing in return except deception!

Jun. 03 2008 11:47 AM
Erin from Manhattan

nail clipping on the subway (ugh!)

Jun. 03 2008 11:47 AM
AWM from UWS

Anyone who stands in front of the door on the subway after the doors open. Inexplicable. I usually bump them hard and, when necessary, shove them aside.

Jun. 03 2008 11:47 AM
Gary from Manhattan

Al Sharpton and Randy Weingarten

Jun. 03 2008 11:46 AM
chuck from lower manhattan

Dog owners who let their dogs off leash in places where that's not allowed, because they believe their dog is "special." As a dog owner, I've learned lots of New Yorkers are afraid of dogs. There's a leash law for good reason.

Jun. 03 2008 11:46 AM
Seth from Astoria

I would slam the people that sit on the stairs in the subway stations causing long lines of people trying to negotiate around them.

Jun. 03 2008 11:46 AM
Chris O from New York City

It feels like we are all in each other's way and we all want to slam each other against the wall. As thatgirlnewyork mentions, we have a responsibility to each other but there is just so many people, it seems the rational and human way to deal with it is just to block everyone out and get lost in your own (over-materialistic) world.

There is a lot of tension, a lot of anger in the streets and byways.

Jun. 03 2008 11:46 AM
jaime

Really? Are we really having a "who would we hurt physically" segment on this show?

Jun. 03 2008 11:45 AM
Jack from Tivoli

Jun. 03 2008 11:45 AM
thatgirlinnewyork from manhattan

Hats off to the jury who found Chris Carter not guilty of assault. This behavior is hardly the provenance of testosterone-laden males. To wit: we had such a grunter in an UWS side gym I belonged to--but she was a woman. She would attend the morning spin class, but would come and do her own thing, grunting and moaning the entire time. For weeks we would complain to the instructor, with no resolution. One day, it came to blows at the end of class, and the woman defended her right to emote, citing her serving on the not-for-profit gym/institution's board. That did it for everyone, who pounced on her assertions, and she was asked never to return to class. New Yorkers who call bullsh*t on such selfish behavior have my support. This is about those who refuse to believe they have a responsibility to others.

Jun. 03 2008 11:15 AM
smidely

When someone tailgates me on a highway/turnpike I bring the speed waaaay down. I can keep this up for miles. For some reason half the time it's a white Escalade. I'm assuming it's not the same one.

Jun. 03 2008 11:10 AM