Community College Credit Crunch

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

The New York Times reports that banks are starting to limit student loans, particularly to community colleges. Anya Kamenetz, Yahoo Finance columnist and the author of Generation Debt: Why Now Is A Terrible Time to Be Young discusses the credit crunch and what it means for students.

Anya Kamenetz

anonymous from East Village

There's nothing wrong with vocational, technical or community colleges schools. I graduated in the top 1% in my high school have two Master's degrees, yet I find myself in an entry level corporate job. My nephew went to a vocational high school, community college , and eventually from a SUNY school, and he makes more money than I do, bought his own condo, and generally happier than I am.

Jun. 03 2008 11:01 AM
bob from huntington

with respect to the cuny student caller: i'm a cuny employee; the (peter) vallone scholarships are funded by the city

Jun. 03 2008 10:44 AM
megs from Bushwick

So then as a student what are we supposed to do? I am in the process of trying to find a private loan for graduate school. Where is the best place to look?? What are the things that I should red flag or lenders that I should avoid all together?

Jun. 03 2008 10:41 AM
Erin from Manhattan

[1] hjs - couldn't agree more!

I was lucky enough to grow up in Canada, where a student could work over the summer months and pay for a year of school, without having to take out a loan. It wasn't until I moved to the US that I had to take out a student loan just to get by. And to think that even this option is being taken off the table! What is a young person supposed to do?

Jun. 03 2008 10:40 AM
David Frank from Pittsburgh, PA

I went back to school to get my graduate degree. My student loans are currently at 6.8%. With the new rate cut on student loans, will my loan interest rate go down as well?

Jun. 03 2008 10:40 AM
Jack from Tivoli

Loving all the economic analysis lately; economics is at the core of social issues.

Jun. 03 2008 10:37 AM
John Lobell from NY

hey -- unintended consequences ????

For years the educational establishment has attacked vocational institutes for their low grad rates -- now the banks are responding and it is a crisis ?????

Jun. 03 2008 10:36 AM
No Name (please:) from Brooklyn

I have heard that the TAP loans in NYC will be less or offered no longer...is this true?

Jun. 03 2008 10:34 AM
hjs from 11211

when will education become a priority in this country?

Jun. 03 2008 10:30 AM