Jessica Casano-Antonellis of Kayak.com explains what the travel site's analysis of their 2012 data reveals about how to be a frugal flier. For example, to get the least expensive ticket, fly in September (domestic) or March (international) and if you're headed to Las Vegas, join the crowd! It's the country's most popular destination. AP airlines reporter Scott Mayerowitz joins the discussion to provide context for these trends within the airline industry.
What Kayak Learned
CHEAPEST MONTHS TO FLY
- September was the cheapest month to travel; average fares dropped to a low of $296.97
- August was the least expensive month to travel in the summer
- February and March were by far the cheapest months to fly with average airfares at $945.38 and $950.00, respectively
- International airfares increased in April and May, bur domestic airfares dropped
POPULAR DESTINATIONS THAT OFFERED GREAT VALUE
- Toronto, Canada was the only popular destination where airfare decreased in 2012.
- Punta Cana, Santo Domingo, Tokyo, Mumbai and Nashville all increased in popularity in 2012 but did not see a large spike in airfare
- Las Vegas was the most popular destination and also the fifth cheapest
POPULAR DESTINATIONS WITH RISING AIRFARES
- Anchorage, New Orleans and Beijing rose in both popularity and airfare
- Lima saw the greatest airfare increase (up 33%), even though its popularity dropped by 16%
BEST MONTHS TO AVOID BUSY TRAVEL
- January travel comprised just 5% of 2012 flight queries, indicating that the start of the year is the least busy time to fly
More information available on Kayak's website.