Save Our Kids

Friday, May 30, 2008

The six teenagers that were shot in Marcus Garvey Park over the weekend were only the latest victims of an uptick in violent crime that has arrived with the warmer weather. We discuss the situation with Eric Adams, NY State Senator (20th district), and Jackie Rowe Adams, co-founder of Harlem Mothers S.A.V.E. (Stop Another Violent End).

Eric Adams and Jackie Rowe Adams
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Fed Up from Brooklyn

Odd that this was the first item on the show this morning. Yesterday afternoon, shortly after the UPS guy threw 3 boxes containing wedding gifts over a 9-foot fence and onto my neighbors' porch, I spotted a guy clamber over the fence, saunter up the stairs & grab the boxes. I ran outside & started hollering "stop, thief" (hey, got a chance to do that at least!) and followed him down the block. No one intervened.
Fed up, the guy came back, knocked me to the ground, slammed my head against the pavement, kicked me a couple of times and took off again. I was calling out for help, and a guy sitting nearby in his car said, "lady, it's not my problem."
This was broad daylight, in Boerum Hill, with more than a dozen people around. Perhaps following him & yelling wasn't the smartest thing to do, but he was walking off with a neighbor's wedding gifts.
While the thief who assaulted me (concussion, fractured knee cap now the size of a grapefruit and bruises all over my body) was African American, the guy in the car was white. And frankly, I'm not sure which of the two is worse.

The guest's comments that this is a societal responsibility are right on the money. This guy felt no compunction -- at least 20 years younger than me, a foot taller and 100 pounds heavier -- in beating me up. The guy in the car felt no responsbility to intervene.

And I'm lucky. I don't live in East New York or other places where far worse violence happens daily.

May. 30 2008 10:17 PM
Bob from New Haven CT

1 - NYPD went from 50K to 40K. Wow...that's 1/4 of the total US military force sent to "pacify" the entire country of Iraq. No wonder Iraq is full of militias. 10,000 officers? Wasn't that the size of the "surge".
2 - Black Inner City Parents: Hang in there and try to keep guns away from your kids. By the way white suburban teenagers may not be walking with guns but unfortunatly too many of them are still getting behind the wheel drunk, tired or text messaging and dying on the road.
3 - I believe that much gun violence stemms from a basic aspect of human nature that tends to glorify revenge and retribution. It doesn't just glorify it, it considers it essential for survival. Stop worrying about hip, hop. The DNA of this violence can be observed by simply watching "The Godfather" and contemplating the US response to 9/11. Those of us who have access to civic institutions (courts, police, armed forces, the UN) usually feel we can rest safely. Others sadly are living in a dangerous "eye for an eye" jungle and believe they will only survive if they are feared. These include insecure urban teenagers who must punch / shoot back to be respected as well as states such as Israel, US or jihadists who must always "retaliate". Anything less would be "appeasement".

May. 30 2008 02:02 PM
D Torres from Manhattan

Unfortunately, the advice given that parents
should stop and frisk their own teens may
not be wise.
Some parents are deathly afraid of their
teens, because they have been physically
and verbally assaulted by their teens.
Parents on a regular basis, have their
teens arrested for assault, or breaking
apart their apartments, just smashing stuff,
and request orders of protection from the
court.
I have an entire row of teens, who must
sign orders of protection and the complainant
is the parents.

Stop and Frisk is a very effective tool,
employed by the NYPD, the drugs, guns,
the cops find prevent a lot of incidents
and it keeps the would be muggers on their
toes.

May. 30 2008 12:39 PM
hjs from 11211

we've taken a crazy turn

don't get distracted so easily

May. 30 2008 12:37 PM
J.T. from NYC

CORRECT David! It's tragic and unfortunately too common nowadays. We need to promote positive ways of thinking to the youth.

May. 30 2008 12:13 PM
J.T. from NYC

Clara - It's typical because it happens often if a Black calls for less beat up on Whites and calls for more REAL Black pride; that person is accused (at least on message boards) as not Black by Whites or an Uncle Tom/sell out by Blacks. It all goes back to the issue that Blacks still aren't really seen as fully human but an "other" type human. We're still seen more as a group rather than people by many.

May. 30 2008 12:10 PM
David! from NYC

Here's an idea: why don't we remember that this whole segment was based on the sad fact that six teens were shot in Marcus Garvey Park last weekend? Or is it just easier or more exciting to speculate on the identity of someone who posted some comments?

May. 30 2008 12:08 PM
Geroge from Harlem

J.T.

"Calm down" "typical reaction" "I'm not racist" these are terms used by whites when they are talking to people of color...I have experienced this many times.

May. 30 2008 12:02 PM
ew from ny, ny

40 J.T., don't you see, it's not a stereotype if it's a nice stereotype.

Your earlier point about paternalistic relationships is one that needs to be repeated until people finally listen.

May. 30 2008 11:52 AM
Clara from Harlem

J.T.

"your reaction is kind of typical"

Typical really! And what by the way is typical reaction?

May. 30 2008 11:52 AM
J.T. from NYC

William - Calm yourself. But interestlingly enough your reaction is kind of typical of a "I'm not racist" type who don't see Blacks as individuals but as collective "other" group. Can't a Black INDIVIDUAL have dissenting views from other Blacks? Do you only see Blacks as a monolithic group that is easily placable, boxable, and hence controlable?

May. 30 2008 11:44 AM
Saul from Brooklyn

They are a right wing Jewish organization, the most bigoted and racist organizations in this city!

May. 30 2008 11:43 AM
BLS producer

Our goal is to foster a civil discussion of the issues raised on the show acccording to the station's guidelines. We do our best to strike the right balance between freewheeling discourse and keeping the site welcoming to everyone. Thanks for your patience.

May. 30 2008 11:43 AM
J.T. from NYC

The truth hurts some folks EW. And truth is we need to promote personal responsibility, community involvement and maybe even a little old fashioned "grandma" shame. Maybe our Italian, Jewish, and Black nanas know what they were doing when they would make us see the wrong that we did.

May. 30 2008 11:38 AM
hjs from 11211

the censor rules aren't clear but it's better if they are safe.

May. 30 2008 11:37 AM
ab

#21

I wouldn't be too shocked, I once posted a comment on the racist background of the Coors family (well documented) but they censored that but left up a bunch of borderline racist at best comments. They were also too COWARDLY to explain to me why they removed the comment which remains a mystery since, again, what I said is well documented.

Despite their "civil" rules, I've seen many racially insensitive or just plain racist statements posted on these boards by this "enlightened" audience that don't get removed.

May. 30 2008 11:33 AM
office worker from Brooklyn

John #17:

Stop and frisk is a horrible idea that destroys the fabric of free society.

As a young black man who walks around every night, it would ruin me. I am not a criminal and I don't do anything suspicious. I resent all of the creeping checkpoint "security" measures that have entered our world. I have to submit to a bag check just to go to the public library. Who bombs a library? Who does that?

And late at night, it's bad enough that there's a thousand cops watching my ever move (I live off of Eastern Parkway), but if I had to get stopped and frisked by then, I'd probably have to kill myself. I don't want to live in 1984.

It's easier to say when you live in the Upper West Side, but when you're down on the front lines, it's harder to see the logic in threatening and humiliating an entire group of people.

Thugs are going to be thugs, but I shouldn't have to be punished and survailed and intimidated by MY police (because I DO pay my taxes) because I happen to be black. That's not American.

May. 30 2008 11:28 AM
hjs from 11211

Smoance
where is the murder capital of the world

May. 30 2008 11:25 AM
William from Harlem

J.T.

I would find it very difficult to believe that you are of African decent and accept the statements on this blog as not racist, this leads me to believe that you are using the animinity of this blog as a disgraceful attempt to hide your racist views.

You cannot say that "ethnic types" is not a racist term and you cannot speak for all ethnicities, so stop the race baiting!

disgraceful.

May. 30 2008 11:23 AM
ew from ny, ny

Pay attention, folks, J.T. is showing leadership. Listen to him. He knows what he's talking about.

May. 30 2008 11:14 AM
ew from ny, ny

J.T., don't let a little thing like truth or reality get in the way.

May. 30 2008 11:12 AM
J.T. from NYC

And by real talk, I aslo mean Black folks need to stop blamely Whites for all the problems that are occuring TODAY in the community and they also need to stop looking for White's to be the primary force of change. It only keeps both groups tied up in a type paternalistic relationship that helps neither Whites or Blacks or anyone else.

May. 30 2008 11:11 AM
J.T. from NYC

Well Stupid, I guess you're right. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree because as an American of African descent and growing up in poor and middle class predominately ethnic neighborhoods, I've seen everything that you claim is racism. It ain't racism; it's truth! Blacks are commiting more crimes than others, Al doesn't speak up (if at all) if it's black on black crime, people do act up in the summer. I KNOW THESE THINGS FROM FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE! WE NEED TO STOP THE BULL. Real talk equals real solutions.

May. 30 2008 11:04 AM
Katie from Forest Hills

By, the way, the "magnificent country" was meant sarcastically about the uneven 1% getting richer and the poorer getting worse off and the middle getting squeezed out and screwed over.

May. 30 2008 10:56 AM
Katie from Forest Hills

Stop and consider the perspective that these young men in urban ethnic groups that are involved with selling drugs are really inclined to be entreprenours and need to be given an opportunity to do a business. The way our magnificent country is structured, they are stuck in poverty which is miserable, told they will go to jail anyways so why not make some money until they get caught.

We need to legalize all drugs, then it won't be a problem and provide economic opportunities to these young men to have a future. Prison is not the answer. USA has more people in prison than any other country in the world.

May. 30 2008 10:54 AM
Stupid Americans from East Village

If you cannot see the racism J.T #23, The apple does not fall to far from the tree!

#1 "urban ethnic youth with guns and no care for LIFE."

#5 "the city's a calamitous confligration of bloody violence in summer, perpetrated by ethnic types. everyone knows that. you don't need proof."

#8 "Move to NJ! You won't see it!!!!!"

#11 "Where is Al Sharpton? I guess black on black violence doesn't come up on his radar screen."

#17 "its a crime issue and the criminals are black"

And of course!!!

#23 "Yes, where is Al? And I have'nt read anything racist on here so far."

May. 30 2008 10:52 AM
ew from ny, ny

J.T., Chris Hedges said, "The church often likes the poor but doesn't like the smell of the poor. ... The liberal church is a largely middle-class, bourgeois phenomenon, filled with many people who have profited from industrialization, the American empire, and global capitalism. They often seem to think that if 'we' can be nice and inclusive, everything will work out."

i think you can replace the word church with liberal elite and say the same thing.

May. 30 2008 10:48 AM
js from New Jersey

Finally someone realizes how parent involvement makes a difference. Snoop Dog and Rev. Run are great examples of parent involvement. They were both raised in tough neighborhoods yet both realize that having extra money in their pockets will not teach their own children to be better people. They both have enough money to hire nannies yet they choose to make a difference in their kid’s lives by being by their side. Granted they don't live in the Ghetto but living in the Ghetto doesn't mean abandoning your kids. There will always be crime in the Ghetto but it can be minimized if parents get more involved with their children.

May. 30 2008 10:47 AM
J.T. from NYC

Yes, where is Al? And I have'nt read anything racist on here so far. I've just about had it with this pc, liberal, phonies. They claim that they care about others but the reality is they don't care about anyone but themselves. They're just seeking some from of redemption for the historic racism (Read: "See, I'm not a racist!") and to feel better about themselves and to feel superior to other people (Read: "Those ignorant Americans, hillbillies, southerners", etc.). The elitism is stiffling. It's time for REAL talk to solve the problems that are facing our country.

May. 30 2008 10:41 AM
Ken Campbell from Harlem

We had a shooting on our corner and another a block north. Something is fueling this activity, be it gangs or gun thuggery. The cops say it is unexpected to see this level of violence before high summer - and there is more hanging out on the street when the weather warms. But the hanging out would be less of a problem if there was something for these kids to do. I see teens and young adults just hanging, not doing anything not going anywhere. Many have no experience, little education, no training, no skills and no future. All the have is the street and the daily battle for power on the street is the nearest thing they have to a career. Too often this spills over into violence. We need solutions to break this cycle and give them new aspirations.

May. 30 2008 10:38 AM
Stupid Americans from East Village

Unbelievable!!!

Not only is my comment regarding the the blatant racism is censored, but the racist statements are left unchallenged are displayed proudly! I guess is not only the people stating their opinions but this radio station promotion of these views.

Very disturbing!!!

May. 30 2008 10:30 AM
Prof. C J Reiss from China

I used to work as a NYPD police psychologist doing officer's fitness for duty evaluations before moving over to the Family Court evaluating kids after a finding or plea. It is so much better now than the 80's-90's but you cannot put it all on the parents especially working parents. More often than not the kids coming through the system kept their guns stashed somewhere outside the house. Of course, when caught they usually said I found it outside (often as it turned out, where they stashed it the day before). I'll save my comments on the fitness for duty evaluations for some otherr day.

May. 30 2008 10:30 AM
Phelan from NYC

Jackie & Eric -

It is so reassuring to know that such grounded and passionate people like you are advocating for the forgotten victims - the children. With you in their corner, these kids may actually have a chance to succeed. Thank you.

May. 30 2008 10:29 AM
RJ from Brooklyn

The mayor has no problem jetting off to the Caribbean for a break at will, but he wants public sector workers to work longer hours for the same pay (that's one of his protest over the new cop raises--there's no givebacks). He claims that it's "equitable" to take the same percentage of dollars from poorly performing schools as from those whose parents raise money by running silent auctions and $125 dollar a head fundraising events. He complains when working people want a decent standard of living and time at home with their families, though he will complain that parents don't spend enough time with their kids.

He won't consider the tiniest 0.1 percent tax increase on people making over $250,000 won't consider the tiniest 0.1 percent tax increase on people making over $250,000 a year to help pay for essential services.

When does his hypocrisy and sense of aristocratic entitlement end? The privileged know no shame, no compassion.

May. 30 2008 10:28 AM
john from upper west side

its time to face reality.

the cops know what to do and and have to be left to do it. Stop asnd frisk is the only way to get a grip on this.

face up, this is not a racial issue, its a crime issue and the criminals are black. The city is full of poor people. The lady speaking right now has got it right and ther lack of fathers who can discipline these kids are in jail. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck just possibly its a duck.

Parents like this woman is in a minority. The issue of race is overplayed in Harlem. These kids can be put to work cleaning up the streets of harlem. No what you pay them they will find ways to stand around they don't know the word work.

They probably need the army for a few years.

May. 30 2008 10:27 AM
BORED

There is an uptick in violence when the weather is warmer because everyone is outside.When its cold most people stay indoors.

May. 30 2008 10:25 AM
Tami from New Jersey

Good for you, Jacki, talking about parental responsibility! I have no scientific proof of this but can hardly believe that this violence is not related to the violence that has permeated pop culture. If strong humanitarian values were taught and encouraged in pop culture, I bet it would make a difference.

May. 30 2008 10:25 AM
Walter from nyc

Let's be realistic here. The type of parents who let their kids go around with guns aren't the the type of parents who will get involved. YOu are dealing with some very poor, uneducated parents who have no idea of how to raise a child. I know this is true. The things I have heard parents say to their kids on the subway would break your heart. Not all parents deserve to be parents. The problem starts here.

May. 30 2008 10:24 AM
hjs from 11211

maybe if we spend more money in school

May. 30 2008 10:18 AM
antonio from park slope

#8 Ho ho kus has a nj transit train stop right?

May. 30 2008 10:18 AM
Marco from Manhattan

May. 30 2008 10:15 AM
J.T. from NYC

Steve you're not off base. I grew up in an urban, low-income area and yes indeed more people do hang on the streets in warmer weather (obvious) and this in turn creates more opportunities for reckless people to display their recklessness for all to see.

May. 30 2008 10:15 AM
P from Brooklyn

Ask Senator Adams why he wants to defund New York City's buses and subways with his bridge and tunnel toll scheme?

May. 30 2008 10:12 AM
Smoance Hoomsda from Ho ho kus, NJ

Move to NJ! You won't see it!!!!!

May. 30 2008 10:03 AM
Hillary from nyc

Clearly, journalism means proving your theories and the connections you assert on air and in print.

May. 30 2008 09:59 AM
Jon from ny ny

[[BL Moderator Writes: This comment removed for violating the WNYC posting policy. Please remain civil.]]

May. 30 2008 09:56 AM
Lisa from bklyn

Steve, exactly where are you citing from? A URL perhaps? A publication?

May. 30 2008 09:56 AM
Steve from NYC

Actually Bib, the FBI crime statistic do show an uptick in violent crime that tracks with warmer weather.

May. 30 2008 09:53 AM
bib birtha from nyc

You would have to really prove a connex betwn warm weather wouldn't you? Just another example of careless journalism. the real cause: urban ethnic youth with guns and no care for LIFE.

May. 30 2008 09:51 AM