Ina Garten on Entertaining at Home

Friday, March 22, 2013

Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa, talks about entertaining at home, and foolproof ways of making simple, delicious meals. Her most recent cookbook is Barefoot Contessa Foolproof: Recipes You Can Trust.

Ina Garten
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

rozbieber from Pittsburgh NC

I have become addicted to the food network. Ina comes first, spice goddess,
next, Aida and then Ssandra Lee and 10$ dinner, However, Ina comes first. I have learned so much even though I have been cookin and baking for 60 years. Keep on!!

Apr. 23 2013 07:44 PM

Beth, Ina is only providing information on how to prepare her recipes in the most delicious and successful way possible. Fresh is almost always less expensive and healthier than 'canned' . . . and she is NOT implying that anyone is a 'bad person' for using canned. She DOES, however, have an obligation to tell her fans and her audience when a certain ingredient will make one of her recipes better. I live in a small town of 10,000 in the heartland, and I find it MUCH easier and cheaper to use the fresher and better ingredients. You just have a 'hard on' for anyone you perceive as being wealthy or successful. I want to BE Ina, I don't want to pooh pooh her success - - - I want to emulate it! Don't be a hater, Beth.

Apr. 01 2013 11:38 PM
Jonas from St. Paul

Did I mishear? I thought they said the Brussels sprouts recipe consisted only of Brussels sprouts, olive oil, salt, and pepper. The one linked to here also has pancetta and vinegar.

Mar. 23 2013 02:42 PM
Damiano from Connecticut

Please continue with these wonderful Food Fridays! Ina, I enjoy your infectious laughter as much as your sumptuous recipes! And Leonard, my wife is right ... You ARE the smartest voice on radio.

Mar. 23 2013 10:54 AM
Ann Martinez

Love Food Fridays! Hope it becomes a permanent segment. What I can't listen to when it s broadcast, I download it as a pod cast as as not to miss anything. So informative.

Mar. 22 2013 06:20 PM
thatgirl from manhattan

Beth - I don't think Ms. Garten was implying you were a bad person by using canned vegetables at all; she's not responsible for whatever guilt you feel because she shows a preference for fresh.

Canned beans may be "convenient," but they almost always more expensive--and cans are lined in plastic. The "Brooklyn fantasy" you speak of must be in your own head, because most people on a budget I know get dried beans and soak them, which always taste better.

Mar. 22 2013 02:43 PM
antonio from baySide

I really love Ina Garten, although I remember Julia Childs ( i am 41), but I really feel like Ms. Garten is my Julia Childs..Please excuse the comparison. BaySide could really use a venture by Ms. Garten...

Mar. 22 2013 12:17 PM
Beth from Brooklyn, NY

I was raised with fresh vegtables, by a chef, but Ina's assertion that people who use canned food as shortcuts are somewhat classist.

There are lots of folks who don't have the time or the ability to live up to this Brooklyn fantasy of shopping at the greenmarket every saturday, because they are too damn busy, or can't get there.

Yes, I prefer fresh veggies. But black beans in a can take less time to put into a soup. Stop telling me I'm a bad person for doing it.

Mar. 22 2013 12:13 PM
Sonia

Ina you're so fabulous! Thanks for being on

Mar. 22 2013 12:10 PM