Shanks for the Memories

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Author and columnist Carl Hiaasen wanted to be better at something in middle age than he was when he was young. So he foolishly reconnected with golf. He talks about his new memoir, The Downhill Lie: A Hacker's Return to a Ruinous Sport. Joining him is his golfing buddy, Paul Bogaards, executive director of publicity and media relations at Alfred A. Knopf.

Event: Carl Hiaasen will be reading tonight at Barnes and Noble Bookstore at Union Square at 7pm.

Are you a golfer in the city? What's it like to be an urban duffer? Comment below!
If you can't see the video click here

Paul Bogaards and Carl Hiaasen

Gene

My brother used to live in a golf course community. What a racket! This huge (foreign) army of laborers leaf-blowing, raking, tilling, mowing, spreading fertilizer (can't be healthy)--constantly.

I can understand wildlife seeking out the only half-natural area, now that these same golf courses (and houses) have squeezed out any vestige of what we once used to quaintly call "the woods."

May. 20 2008 12:20 PM
Richard Walker from San Francisco

in my worst fake lock-jaw.... "and observing the wildlife, I stepped on the golf ball!!! it was SIMPLY AWFUL..." [no laughter]

Oh puh-lease Mary. Golf courses a wildlife sanctuary?

Yes, where ever perfect lawns and monoculture are a native plant.

May. 20 2008 11:46 AM
Gene

Playing golf is like watching baseball--long periods of excruciating boredom periodically (in my case, rarely) redeemed by a sweet, sweet drive.

Once, we'd been put together on the course with an older couple, and she was telling me, "We used to play tennis ALL the time. Then we got too old for tennis, we couldn't do it anymore, so we took up golf. And he (indicating her husband) LOVES it. And I like it fine. . . (long pause, somewhat sadly:) But it's not tennis.

I completely agree.

May. 20 2008 11:43 AM
mgdu from hell's kitchen

why give further play to bush's crocodilian pretense about why he has given up golf?

do you really think it's a coincidence that bush gave up golf at same time he gave up jogging?

more 'solidarity', you think, or the leg problems reported at the time?

May. 20 2008 11:41 AM
Richard Cohen from Stamford, CT

Re: Today's golf discussion, as a low handicap player for 56 years I always have in the back of my mind that Mark Twain defined golf as "a good walk spoiled" and some days he's spot on.

May. 20 2008 11:37 AM
Nelson from NYC

Thanks Mark Twain.

May. 20 2008 11:36 AM
Baby from Forest Hills

Some women like men in their 50s and find them attractive, more mature and knowlegeable about life.

May. 20 2008 11:36 AM