Open Phones: Bronx Love

Monday, March 18, 2013

flag of the bronx

For the first time in a long time, census numbers show that more people moved to the Bronx than moved out. Are you one of the 115 net people who moved to BX in 2012, or part of the influx over the last five years or so? Or are you a Bronx resident who thought about leaving but decided to stay? Tell us why! Call 212-433-9692, or post your story here.

→ Census Resources: NYC Population Estimates for July 2012 | Bronx Census Data

Population Change from 2000-2010

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Lucy from Bronx

Hi Brian
I called in and spoke with you earlier, however what I failed to mention are not only is it easy access east side and west side. We have three fabulous parks for my dog all with in 2 minutes walking. It is great access to our upstate ski house. We love the Bronx!I want to also bring up that as a Bronx resident who loves being there,we do not want Fresh Direct to move into our area and clog up our streets. I hope you mention this on your show. I love that it is working class and that it is ethnicaly mixed. Two big complaints 1) we need more good food!2) We need people to pick up the dog POOP! Thanks

Mar. 18 2013 05:12 PM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Rap?

Rap is CRAP.

Mar. 18 2013 01:32 PM
fuva from harlemworld

Hey, Bob, Sheldon's right about the cussing and N-word...

Mar. 18 2013 01:14 PM
Bob from Brooklyn

Oh, please Sheldon. I don't believe you when you say you love hip hop.

I'm out till tomorrow. Peace. Laterzzzz.

Mar. 18 2013 12:21 PM
Sarah from The Bronx

I am a grad student and I've lived in the Bronx for 4 years now, but I'm about to be priced out! Rents have gone up almost $200 for my 1 bedroom and my stipend has not. So, while I'm happy that the Bronx is having a renaissance, I miss my affordable rent. What does it say about living in NYC when not even the Bronx is affordable?

Mar. 18 2013 12:20 PM
Bob from Brooklyn

What the hell is the difference!? Nothing. It's the same word no matter how you write it. And N****Z is cheesy.

Mar. 18 2013 12:19 PM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Bob, I love hip hop as much as any one, next time use n***z, if you can.

Mar. 18 2013 12:15 PM
Bob from Brooklyn

Oh Sheldon. Loosen up a bit. This is Bronx culture whether you like it or not.

Mar. 18 2013 12:08 PM
Bob from Brooklyn

Yeah, Richie. That's my big brother's music, but I'll take it! Shout out to boogie down Brian!

Mar. 18 2013 12:05 PM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

@Bob, this is WNYC, not a mixtape show. Please keep that in mind when you are deciding to post things with crude lyrics.

Mar. 18 2013 12:01 PM

Bob, ask and you shall recieve (albeit with a song that's over 20 years old).

Mar. 18 2013 12:00 PM

Bob, ask and you shall recieve (albeit with a song that's over 20 years old).

Mar. 18 2013 12:00 PM
fuva from harlemworld

Dead wrong

Mar. 18 2013 11:59 AM
keith from BX

I'm in Mott Haven, right by the Third Av. bridge. Been here about 3 years. It's affordable, I'm a renter. It made sense, 1st stop on the 4,5,6. I was in Greenpoint in the early 90's. Got priced out, bounced around Astoria.
Love the Boogie Down!

Mar. 18 2013 11:58 AM
Bob from Brooklyn

CURTIS BLOW!!!!

Mar. 18 2013 11:58 AM
Bob from Brooklyn

Shout out to Pelham and City Island!

Mar. 18 2013 11:56 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

The Bronx has a lot of great neighborhoods and history, the problem is the perception of the lack of certain types of cultural amenities and that "hip" factor that Brooklyn supposedly has.

Mar. 18 2013 11:55 AM
fuva from harlemworld

Displaced renters moving to the Bronx
are displacing poor folks
and will soon
be displaced
again...

Mar. 18 2013 11:55 AM
Bob from Brooklyn

Cheap rent in Brooklyn? Go to Sunset Park. Express train to Manhattan and close to the Slope.

Mar. 18 2013 11:55 AM
Bob from Brooklyn

Anyone up in Grand Concourse?

Mar. 18 2013 11:53 AM
Bob from Brooklyn

Anyone from co-op city calling in?

Mar. 18 2013 11:51 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

How many of the Bronx's new residents are displaced renters from Washington Heights/Inwood?

Mar. 18 2013 11:51 AM
mary ellen from wantag

investors are buying up property there as they think it will be the next williamsburg......

Mar. 18 2013 11:50 AM
Bob from Brooklyn

This is my dad's Bronx music. Where's the RAP?

Mar. 18 2013 11:47 AM
Annarita Macri from Bedford Park - Bronx, NY

Hi Brian,

I moved to the Bedford Park neighborhood in 2010 to attend graduate school at Lehman College. Living in the Bronx has some amazing pros. I live off two express trains the D (brings you to the west side of Manhattan)and the 4 (takes you to the east side of Manhattan). I am also close to the Harlem and Hudson Metro North Lines which can take me up to some great Day hiking sights by Bear Mountain. The Bronx also has the most parks in NYC, to name a few, Van Cortlandt, Poe Park,Clarmont Park, Orchard Beach, and NY Botanical Gardens. I live in a great 2 family house apartment, its a 2 bedroom for $1300. My lease is up in September and I debate on moving to another borough so I can be closer to my job site, but when I look for a studio or 1 bedroom in Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan the rent is disgustingly high and the apts are not as clean as mine.

I would have to say three cons for living in the Bronx, is that sometimes it can be very sketchy at night but that's really everywhere. Very high noise pollution after midnight. And, thirdly it is very hard to find affordable fruits and vegetable. The Bronx is still a major food dessert for healthy food choices. Some of the bodegas have good fruit and veggies but that is hit or miss and then Grocery Stores like Morton William and Stop and Shop are more expensive. Who can pay $6.00 for a tray of grapes!

Overall I think I will continue to stay in the Bronx. 1-due to rent affordability and 2 - the great public transportation access I have to get to Manhattan and upstate NY.

Thank you.

Best
Annarita

Mar. 18 2013 11:40 AM
Mar from South Broncks Mott Haven

Sometimes 'location' does not trump community although I have
some of the brightest and professional young people coming here
for rentals to work and live. I am hard pressed to describe the SBroncks
Port Morris Mott Haven area and am interested to know exactly HOW the
neighborhoods will be changing. St. Anns park is beautiful as well.
Diamond in the rough. Has huge potential for family life.

Mar. 18 2013 11:38 AM
Harrry from Riverdale, BX

Hi.

I moved to Riverdale in 2006 cause I had the opportunity to buy a co-op. It's clean, quiet, but also very very boring. There are no good restaurants or bars and none of my Brooklyn friends will visit cause it's just too far unless you have a car. My girlfriend (originally from Brooklyn) moved in a few month ago and hates it, of course! So now gotta make plans to move to, you guessed it, Brooklyn! Please send all interested in a very nice co-op in Riverdale with doorman, pool, etc my way!

Thanks Brian,

HJP

Mar. 18 2013 11:26 AM
BronxJack from The South Bronx

The South Bronx is the last frontier close to Midtown. I own and live with my tenants in an apartment building in Melrose very close to Third Avenue in the HUB commercial district. My tenants are from New Hampshire, Michigan, California, Tunisia and South Africa. In the last five years, the area population has more than doubled due to the influx of new well-designed high-density housing communities. A Foodtown and other markets opened last year and for the first time, French cheese, organic food and fresh olives are available here. No developer or politician will go forward with plans to open a rehab or shelter on my block. They know I'm here and they know what that means.

BronxJack

Mar. 18 2013 11:23 AM
antonio from baySide

I am surprised da Bronx never has "blown-up," there's a beautiful park, and besides the subway a few metro north-trains, which can get you to Manhattan in minutes!!! If they'd ever get a fairway/wholefoods I'd be on the next train to Spuyten Duyvil faster than you can say J-LO!!!

Mar. 18 2013 11:18 AM
Bob from Brooklyn

Shout out to my fam up in da Bronx

New York niggaz got crazy game
But outta town niggaz is all the same
Brooklyn niggaz get crazy loot
That's because when it's beef they ain't scared to shoot
Harlem niggaz know how to play
Mack the 600, gettin crazy pay
Niggaz outta Queens got shit on lock
Strapped with the glock, runnin up in yo' spot

But if it wasn't for the Bronx
this rap shit probably never would be going on
so tell me where you from?

Uptown baby, uptown baby
We gets down baby, up for the crown baby

Mar. 18 2013 11:10 AM
Miriam

hi

I moved to Riverdale in the West Bronx, in Feb 2012. It's a beautiful area and my apt rent is a great deal. I found it through a friend. My commute to Midtown is 1 hour, but I'm overall very happy with my move, I live in a beautiful co-op bldg.

Mar. 18 2013 11:10 AM
carolita from "North Manhattan"

Do tell. I was thinking of moving to the Bronx years ago when I was searching for a new place, but all the apartments I saw were in neighborhoods that were devoid of trees, dusty, lots of trucks rumbling by. The air quality was bad. Of course, I refused to live far from an express train, so the places I looked at were mainly on or near Grand Concourse. I still hope to move to the Bronx someday, maybe after a little more research. A lot of great people have come out of the Bronx! I'm inspired!

Mar. 18 2013 10:40 AM