♥s and Minds

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

When the economy is shaky, tourism may be a necessary evil to kick start growth. Milton Glaser explains why he felt designing the "I ♥ NY" logo was his civic duty in similar tough times. Also, Thomas Ranese of Empire State Development explains why tourism makes dollars and sense for New York.

Milton Glaser and Thomas Ranese

Andy Levy-Stevenson from Efrat, Israel

Just reread the comments and noticed I wasn't the only one to suggest the remake idea ... great minds think alike (mine just thinks a little slower!)

May. 15 2008 02:01 AM
Andy Levy-Stevenson from Efrat, Israel

I listen to WNYC podcasts from here in Israel, and love them. Enjoyed the I Love NY discussion.

I think they should keep the theme song, but throw it open to remixes, interpretations, mashups ... how about a Moby version? Or a Suzanne Vega version? Celebrate NY musicians and rebrand the song. Some great viral YouTube possibilities too.

May. 15 2008 01:59 AM
World's Toughest Milkman from the_C_train

Just to add to a comment a caller made in reference to Jim Dine's artwork being a kind of inspiration I'd have to say that Robert Indiana's work seems to reflect the campaign more from what I can tell.

May. 14 2008 05:13 PM
SOHO from SOHO

I love the "I Love NY" jingle brings back memories, much like the Milford Commercial -- the lullaby of Broadway.

I guess the target demographics for this new 'I Love NY advertising are those that used to love NY but apparently now have loathed and hated NY (if they have not pushed out of NYC yet) because of all these condo and real estate developers, and the yunnies (young urban narcissists -- aka the Carrie Bradshaws wannabes), and yuppies consuming everything and everyone in NYC.

May. 13 2008 02:57 PM
Joel Friedland from Forest Hills

I'm a tour guide for Gray Line in Times Square. Families living 40 to 150 miles away from the City, those within a 3 hour drive, are not making day trips to the City on weekends, anywhere near as frequently as in the previous five years (2003 to 2007). People in those exurban areas are staying closer to home.

People making day trips like that don't spend a lot of money in the City, especially if they don't go to a Broadway show, but what they do spend, at the margin, is enough to make many small businesses in Manhattan a lot more successful. Weekend sales for reasonably priced restaurants, for off-Broadway shows, for souvenir shops, for hot-dog stands, even, is down at least 20%, perhaps over a third.

Gas at over $4 a gallon plus the cost of parking means that families of 4 taking a day trip to the city are going to spend over a $100 just to get here and back. Buying tickets for an off-Broadway show in advance through TDF (picture one parent is a school teacher, say) adds a $100, eating at McDonalds to and from the City on the highway and in Times Square will add another $75 or so. Up near $300 for a simple day trip for a family of 4. If they go to the Metropolitan Museum and the children's zoo in Central Park, for free (or reduced fee) using their WNYC membership, it'll still cost close to $200.

May. 13 2008 10:49 AM
joshl

Nanette/#12 -- great idea!

May. 13 2008 10:40 AM
elizabeth

there is a sort of heart key - key series anyway:
i<3NY.com

May. 13 2008 10:26 AM
VR from staten island

There should be a remix/remade version of I Love New York for each borough-maybe an open contest-composers should be encouraged to work in all styles from Blues to Bhangra, and re-arrange/reharmonize/mashup the song as they see fit.

May. 13 2008 10:24 AM
MThonre from Brooklyn

To tag onto Jon Young's comment above -- Virginians who I knew felt that the I Love NY campaign was a rip off of their "Virginia is for Lovers" slogan, which definitely predates 'I Love NY.'

The Virginia campaign was the first to use the heart logo to signify 'love.' Given this background, it's amusing to hear people talk about this or that entity 'owning' the I Love NY 'brand,' implying that it was the first, or at least something so unique!

May. 13 2008 10:23 AM
EMA from BROOKLYN

we <3 you Milton Glaser
check out http://www.myspace.com/propstyle to see how...
EMA + SUPAKITCH + KORALIE

May. 13 2008 10:23 AM
Nanette from Poughkeepsie

Good Morning Brian

How about this ....

New York! How do I "Heart" thee?
Let me count the ways.

then comes a list of all the wonderful features of NY

May. 13 2008 10:22 AM
Michal Christopher from Staten Island/atlanta

The logo should be "I love NY, expect delays!" I'm kidding. Keep the song and logo. NY is a great place to VISIT now, being too expensive to live there. I am a refugee of NYC but love to visit as much as I can.

May. 13 2008 10:22 AM
Joan Rosenfelt from New York

The "I love New York" "jingle" is one of the WORST I have EVER heard in my LIFE!!! It has NO MELODY OF INTEREST - NO MUSICALILTY - NO RHYTHMN - It is simply a DRONING ANNOYANCE - essentially like a child's chant - an UNIMAGINATIVE child's chant - IT'S DREADFUL!!! The writer should be EMBARASSED at having produced such a simplistic and UGLY jingle. They should DEFINITELY NOT BRING IT BACK!!! IT'S A HORRENDOUS EXAMPLE OF THE WORST OF "JINGLE" NON-WRITING!!! No talent! - no musicality - no imagination - no melody - It's just a HIDEOUS DRONE! NO NO NO!!!

May. 13 2008 10:21 AM
Pat from Red Hook, Brooklyn

Hi Brian -

After Sept 11, Milton Glaser was on your show and was so inspirational about giving our hearts and minds to helping the city recover. His redesign of his iconic image hangs framed in my house: I Love (Heart Icon) NY More Than Ever. It was an opportunity for me to support WNYC while declaring that my City would heal from the wound of the attack because we New Yorkers would rise to the call.

It's amazing how those early days of despair lead to a collective outpouring of sympathy and support around the world. Almost 7 years later, Sept 11 has become a wedge used by politians to frighten and separate citizens from each other, instead of reminding us of the strength of our democracy if we stand together in the face of danger and challenge.

Hopefully, this fall will bring a renewal of government that encourages our best qualilties instead of policies that keep us frightened and cut off from each other.

Thanks for the show,
-Pat

May. 13 2008 10:19 AM
asdf from NJ

Agree with #1 Mark. Banning photography on subways and arresting all those protesters during the GOP convention damaged the "real" New York's soul for many years.

And I just found out Cafe La Fortuna closed due to a massive rent increase. Mourning the pre-mall-ed New York...

May. 13 2008 10:19 AM
leoinnyc from NYC

My advice -- In the rush to make everything family-friendly and disney-fied, don't forget to Keep It Real. New York still has to be New Yawk., you know?

May. 13 2008 10:18 AM
Mike from Brooklyn

The song is awesome. They should play it from speakers on all city street corners.

May. 13 2008 10:17 AM
RJ from Brooklyn

Brian, I'm disappointed. The brilliant Milton Glaser "just" replaced the word "love" with a heart and chose a typeface and that was it? That "just" is the center of creativity: the artistic instinct or ability to see the elements, the meaning.

May. 13 2008 10:16 AM
Mike from NJ

Brian, for the love of humanity, please stop playing "I Love New York". Years of therapy are coming apart right before my ears. Thanks. Mike

May. 13 2008 10:15 AM
Chris from Brooklyn

Please stop playing that song! Put that CD in the microwave!

May. 13 2008 10:14 AM
Jon Young from Staten Island

I love NY, but Virginia is for lovers- Vito & Laura Fay.

May. 13 2008 10:12 AM
mark from ireland

in order to encourage tourism, immigration control needs to be hauled over too!, everyone coming in to the USA, is treated as a criminal, with photographs and finger prints taken! and interrogating questions about why are oyu in the US, where you are staying, waht is your job etc.!!,
it does not exactly inspire anyone to visit NYC

May. 13 2008 10:06 AM