The Art of Listening

Friday, May 16, 2008

Storycorps founder Dave Isay talks about the end of an era: the closing of one of the project's flagship recording booths in Manhattan. Annie Perasa and her husband were one of the first interviews in the booth. Together they share how it's possible to change lives just by being yourself.

Dave Isay and Annie Perasa
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Mike from Bellport

Storycorps was a great idea, until it got hijacked by NPR who turned it into a spiritual, uplifting, sentimental cryfest. It's like that other quasi-religious, psuedo-ecumenical joke of show, This I Believe.

May. 16 2008 11:15 AM
Yasmine from Manhattan

StoryCorps is an incredible project. It always makes me cry, and the clips Brian Lehrer played today were especially human and beautiful. I was so touched by this interview that I just bought the book. I've always wanted to interview my grandparents in Lebanon, so I used the StoryCorps website to prepare questions I'd like to ask them and record myself when I go visit this summer. It won't have the same magic of StoryCorps but I am so thankful for the idea to record their stories. Thank you.

May. 16 2008 11:06 AM
Nancy from Brooklyn, NY

I took my Mom to Storycorp to celebrate her 80th Birthday. I didn't tell her what we were doing until we got there. I could tell she was uncomfortable at first but once we got started she loved it. Afterwards she told me it was the best birthday present she ever received.

Don't wait, book an appt at one of the other locations! You won't regret it.

May. 16 2008 10:53 AM
World's Toughest Milkman from the_C_train

That last story was pretty amazing, why aren't there people like that in politics.

May. 16 2008 10:51 AM
amy from paris

I love Storycorps and was wondering if Mr Isay is considering starting one abroad? Say, in France?

May. 16 2008 10:47 AM
KBaker from merrick

this is such a beautiful idea. i wish i had gone earlier

May. 16 2008 10:46 AM
Julie from Brooklyn

Ditto on the crying at work.

I hoped to get my twin brother at the Grand Central booth the next time he visits, particularly since I used to work in the MetLife building. We will make attempts at the other booth.

May. 16 2008 10:45 AM
Robert from NYC

He certainly was an honest and romantic man. Annie is as lucky as he was. I'm crying too.

May. 16 2008 10:41 AM
Peter from Brooklyn

great - im crying at work.

May. 16 2008 10:40 AM
Robert from NYC

Why is it closing? I always thought that I and my 86 year old mom would talk about her early years as the daughter of immigrants. How sad.

May. 16 2008 10:35 AM