Open Phones: Pi(e) Day!

Thursday, March 14, 2013

pi and pie (jcolman/flickr)

Today is Pi Day, where we celebrate both "π" and "pie." Glen Whitney, executive director of MoMath, discusses the mysteries of 3.14.... Plus, since we are never ones to let a good homonym pass by, we'll also talk about "pie." Do you see an intersection between math and baking? How do you plan to celebrate Pi Day? Call us at 212-433-WNYC, or 212-433-9692, or leave a comment here.

Glen Whitney

Judith from queens

PI Day is my birthday! Whohoo! I love pi day...

Mar. 14 2014 11:18 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Pi day will be even better in 3 years, when it will fall on 3/14/16!

Oh, & I've seen round cornbread. How about "brownie are square"?

Mar. 14 2013 12:00 PM
RJ from prospect hts

Alas, it's hard to convert sugar quantities for any pastry to alternative sweetners for diabetics.

Mar. 14 2013 11:59 AM
Robert from NYC

Yeah the relation between baking and math is the same for me as the caller, when you have an amount of one ingredient that isn't enough I have to figure out the amount of the rest of the ingredients and usually ending up just eyeing it and I've been lucky (nyeh!) wit the results. I love math but really suck at it. Took Geometry 3 times in HS>

Mar. 14 2013 11:58 AM
T. Keeler from NJ

My son's school has cooking as part of the curriculum. He's been cooking and baking with "Granny" since preschool. When his teachers introduced fractions this year in kindergarten it was no big deal - he had already been using them and seen their importance in cooking.

Mar. 14 2013 11:58 AM

I'm an Engineer who loves baking. Preordained perhaps???

Mar. 14 2013 11:57 AM
Pope Pious from NYC

Mar. 14 2013 11:56 AM
Frank from Lindenhurst

3 Teaspoons = 1/4 of 1/4 of a Cup (1 Tablespoon)

Mar. 14 2013 11:55 AM
John from Fanwood

Pi R Square? No, Pi R Round, Cornbread R Square!

Mar. 14 2013 11:53 AM
Michael from Green Wood Heights, Brooklyn

Let us remember that most pies are round, and pi is the relationship between the circumference or area of a circle to its radius or circumference, respectively. That being said, I'm such a math fan that I'm baking quick drop biscuits instead.

Mar. 14 2013 11:53 AM
Michael from Green Wood Heights, Brooklyn

Mar. 14 2013 11:52 AM
Michael from Green Wood Heights, Brooklyn

Mar. 14 2013 11:52 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

If they taught more pie-making in high school rather than trying to cram algebra and Euclidean geometry into the heads of kids who have no interest in it, we'd have better bakers AND better mathematicians. The kids who are interested in PIE only drag down the kids interested in Pi.

Mar. 14 2013 11:49 AM
antonio from baySide

Baking tip, use rendered duck fat with some good french butter for the best crust ever!

* actually duck fat is healthier than butter believe it or not!

Mar. 14 2013 11:48 AM

Hey Brian, next Februaury 7 why don't you start celebrating "e" day? You'll make the entire science and engineering community very happy ;-)

Mar. 14 2013 11:06 AM