Airport Security Changes

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Harvey Molotch, professor of sociology and metropolitan studies at New York University and the author of Against Security: How We Go Wrong at Airports, Subways, and Other Sites of Ambiguous Danger, discusses new changes in security at the airport.

Harvey Molotch
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Allan from New Brunswick

Pocket knives in carry-on luggage currently count as "on the plane". If you didn't
want to pay the typical $50.00+ checked-in baggage charge, how else could you bring a pocket knife for use at your destination?

Mar. 14 2013 11:00 AM
Georgia from New Jersey

My comment is about what you can buy at the airport after you go through security! When I was at the Rome airport they took a very small, round bladed cheese spreader from me but at the shops by the gate, you could but barbecue forks nearly a foot lone. You can also buy bottles of wine and oil that can be broken into a serious weapon!

Mar. 14 2013 10:58 AM
Jack of Corona from New York City

For many decades, since out of high school I have always carried a type of swiss camping knive in my pocket. It had large and small cutting blades and screw drives, it had sissors, a saw blade,a can opener, cork screw, a bottle opener and a few other useful tools. Many many many tasks were done anywhere any time without any other tools.

Mar. 14 2013 10:58 AM
eileen swerdlick

This segment needs more depth. Too many facets to this sensitive issue. Please try to bring this forward again and explore questions related to $ impact on industry,human rights and more on the logic(if there is any) of security.
Speakers from a broader arena concerned with this issue would be helpful.
Thanks for your daily show.

Mar. 14 2013 10:58 AM
Renter from East Village

The security facilities of all US airport are operated by a Israeli security company. The separation of passengers into classes of travelers reflects the division of the US population by social standing -having or not having official approval. Like the so called "makers" and those living off government handouts? Those who can pass and those who have to go through the check points. Hay where are we again?

Mar. 14 2013 10:55 AM
The Truth from Becky

A bad idea to relax security measures, in any way...I really would like to travel with my full size shampoo and lotion however.

Mar. 14 2013 10:53 AM
fuva from harlemworld

No one requires a pocket knife, etc. on a plane. Period. If folks can't remember to pack such things, too bad. We need to be less "convenience"-driven/dependent, and grow up.

Mar. 14 2013 10:49 AM
Todd from Brooklyn

The issue with pocket knoves etc is not needing them pn the plane but have to check a bag. A short trip you can carry on what you need - pocketknife etc. now you dont have to check a bag just so you can bring what you need at your destination.

Mar. 14 2013 10:49 AM
TXC from Sutton Place South

I need to carry my Swiss Army Knife Classic SD on a plane because I need it on the other end of the flight, not necessarily to use during the flight. I need not only the knife (to open packages and letters), but also the scissors, toothpick, and tweezers. I don't wish to check in a bag, and leave the knife in the checked bag.

Mar. 14 2013 10:48 AM
GR from Brooklyn

My understanding is that (as the guest implied in his comment about long screening lines) much of the security risk lies in airports themselves, which are very attractive targets, especially since the US is unwilling to spend the money to change their physical configuration to make them more secure.
In addition, screeners and security people should be better trained (and paid).

Mar. 14 2013 10:46 AM
Taher from Croton on Hudson

How about the drone that was sighted about 200 ft away from an Alitalia plane at JFK recently?

Mar. 14 2013 10:45 AM
Mary Beth from nyc

Brian, The plain is not your destination, so of course a pocket knife is something you would or may want for use at your destination. I found it very annoying to start to leave mine at home after 9/11. Before that, I never travelered without one. The have MANY uses. I am actually surprised you don't travel with one.

Mar. 14 2013 10:45 AM
Cynthia from brooklyn ny

I always used to carry my swiss army knife. It comes in handy on many occasions, cutting apples, opening wine. I really miss being able to have it with me.

Mar. 14 2013 10:45 AM
Max

Brian just asked why do we need a pocket knife on a plane?

My answer:

I like to clean my finger nails. A swiss army knife is a handy tool to do this with.

Mar. 14 2013 10:44 AM

change our foreign policy. Box cutters didn't have anything to do with hijacking a plane. Bomb making equipment? My god we cannot totally protect ourselves in this world. We need to change the way we treat people and stop making them hate us...its probably not that hard.

Mar. 14 2013 10:43 AM
Fishmael from NYC

In the broader discussion on security - if domestic US citizens can take out scores of civilians in ongoing gun massacres - what's to prevent a terrorist actor from doing exactly the same?

Mar. 14 2013 10:43 AM
L from Midtown from Midtown

And what about having to take off flip-flops??? REALLY???

Mar. 14 2013 10:43 AM
Dave from ny

I've had little pen knives on my keychain confiscated twice at airports.

Mar. 14 2013 10:43 AM

I have been a "Trusted Traveler" for 2 years and only once in that time while making maybe a dozen international round-trips was I ever directed to a special line, which saved me maybe 30 seconds and avoided taking my shoes off and removing my laptop from the suitcase. They need to make the system work if they want it to be credible.

Mar. 14 2013 10:42 AM

Richard, I think it's more about a false sense of security than anything else. Liquids can be very energy dense which makes scrutiny of liquids in airplanes potentially more dangerous than small knives and the like. But who cares when anecdote trumps fact.

Mar. 14 2013 10:42 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

I don't look forward to people having knives on planes again but if it's a distraction for TSA agents to search for such things, that hinders them looking for real threats - then I have to take the TSA's side.

Mar. 14 2013 10:39 AM
Robert from NYC

Why do people have to carry knives in the first place! Not only that but the last time I flew in 2007 I saw a bin in which the items removed from passengers' baggage were placed, there was an ax, a harpoon, many large daggers, lol, really, who carries an ax... on an airplane?! Of course there was also tooth floss with which I assume you can cut through the throat of the passenger in front of you if s/he puts the seat too far back--like on your already bloated bladder!! I see material here for a new Airport movie.

Mar. 14 2013 10:39 AM
Pam from ny

Air marshals

Mar. 14 2013 10:37 AM
Ellen from Chelsea

I hav been selected for special screening for excuses such as a half drunk bottle of water I forgot about, underwire in my bra, or maybe someone didn't like how I look or responded... and I took off the shoes, the belt, the sweater, undid the computer etc...

Some guy with a stun gun gets through?

Mar. 14 2013 10:35 AM

You can't bring down an airplane with a pocket knife. People are freaked out when they think the guy next to them on the plane could have one but not when the guy next to them on the subway or in the movie theater does. What's the difference?

Mar. 14 2013 10:33 AM
Larry from Brooklyn

Hmmm. so I can carry on a knife but not toothpaste or mustard (yes, my mustard was confiscated)? I feel safer.

Mar. 14 2013 10:31 AM