Building Authentic Customer Connections

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Bob Garfield, co-host of On The Media and Doug Levy, founder and CEO of MEplusYOU, talk about their new book Can't Buy Me Like: How Authentic Customer Connections Drive Superior Results, on how companies need to respond to customers.

Bob Garfield and Doug Levy
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Oliver from Cobble Hill

Bob has this wrong. Rhapsody in Blue is the lipstick on the pig. It's what makes the United experience passable. More flights, and a bit of class.

Mar. 14 2013 11:41 AM
John from NYC

Could you comment on Verizon? This company in my experience would be in United Airlines category as well.

Mar. 14 2013 11:41 AM
M

Speaking of Citizen's United, I wonder to what extend that decision has influenced the "relationships" consumers have with companies. When companies have tremendous political power, suddenly consumers start factoring other values into their purchases.

Mar. 14 2013 11:41 AM
Nancy from Manhattan

I look at companies' political contributions before I do business with them, whenever possible, so I can avoid giving money to companies that support the ridiculous policies of the Republican Party.

Mar. 14 2013 11:40 AM
m from LIC

I agree with Brian. I'm not buying this, "relationship" ,"genre".

Mar. 14 2013 11:40 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Citibank despises their retail banking customers, even though they suck at investment banking, crappy hours silly fees. Until a year ago - just 3 locations in downtown Brooklyn. Chase has at least 15.

Mar. 14 2013 11:39 AM

What about the worst social offender - Facebook & its ever fluid privacy standards & constant user data sales?

Mar. 14 2013 11:33 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Yes, well nonetheless, despite my "relationship" with Amazon and others online, I recently found an item that I wanted, and had searched for online extensively for a cheaper price at an electronics retailer called J&R. I did find it online, but nonetheless had to do some significant searching. It's like anything else, whether searching for bargains by foot in retail stores, or doing an exhaustive search online. Don't drink the "Kool Aid." If you really want something at a bargain price, you have to do some work and not depend on your online "friends" too much.

Mar. 14 2013 11:33 AM
Laura

I ask only semi facetiously... Are they saying that in a sense Citizens United was right... That corporations are people???

Mar. 14 2013 11:31 AM
Robert from NYC

Where's Brooke, the real editor?

Mar. 14 2013 11:27 AM
Robert from NYC

Bob Garfield, so what! Now here's a guy with a big head.

Mar. 14 2013 11:26 AM